What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If your license is "revoked" in one state (1 Viewer)

Finless

Footballguy
and you have a valid drivers license in another state is it legal to drive in the other state?

Pretty sure you can't have valid licenses in two states. You're supposed to forfeit your license from the first state when you get a license in the 2nd.

Pretty sure you can't have valid licenses in two states. You're supposed to forfeit your license from the first state when you get a license in the 2nd.
Well I was traveling for work and lost my regular Colorado drivers license. I then applied for one in the Dakotas. Long story that I don't feel like explaining but I ended up losing the Dakota one for 30 days. Never knew because I have moved and my mail was never forwarded. So now Dakota is telling me my right to drive will be revoked for 30 days as soon as I surrender my license. I just remembered I still should have an active valid Colorado license, or am I crazy?

If I am crazy and my right to drive in SD is revoked can I just go get a CO license?

I should say when I applied I never mentioned my Colorado license. I just rolled in with 2 forms of ID and walked out with a local license.

I should say when I applied I never mentioned my Colorado license. I just rolled in with 2 forms of ID and walked out with a local license.
Did you have to take the written exam and the actual driving exam?
Nope. I just gave them a couple forms of ID. Tax document and my birth certificate.
Ok, I will spit out the hook now.

No way they didn't make you take both tests when you didn't turn in a license from another state.

Company just said "We need your license so we can add you to the company insurance". I did a little digging. Doesn't look great. Right to drive is revoked in SD 30 days after I surrender. I never plan on going back to SD so does it just effect me there or everywhere? Can I just go get a duplicate of my old Colorado license? Can I just go apply for a Colorado drivers license? I just took the test for Colorado 2 years ago when I got reinstated. Clueless, on hold with the DMV.

Nope. I just gave them a couple forms of ID. Tax document and my birth certificate.
They must share databases with CO and saw that you had a license, in which case your CO is no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems odd.
The Dakotas are odd. I literally walked out with a new laminated license in 10 minutes. No proof of address or anything.

SICK! just got off the phone with the Colorado DMV. I am in good standing here and can go pick up a duplicate. Ok, no worries.... I'm actually blown away.

http://www.dot.nd.gov/dotnet2/faq/dl-faq.aspx

:bs:

I am currently licensed in another state. I am moving to North Dakota. What do I need to do to obtain a North Dakota driver license?
First, you have up to 150 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota driver license. You have up to 120 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota CDL (if you are a commercial driver).
Second, you will need to visit a driver license site. See the schedule on this website for locations and times. You will need to present your out-of-state driver license and legal proof of your current name and date of birth, such as a state-certified birth certificate, U.S. Passport, and government issued marriage certificate for name change. See the entire list of acceptable identification documents. The out-of-state license is not acceptable for proof of name and date of birth.
Third, you will be required to pass a vision test. You may be required to pass the written and road tests pending presentation of the actual out-of-state license, a driving record check, and medical criteria. The driver license examiners will determine license eligibility when you apply for the North Dakota license.

I am currently licensed in another state. I am moving to North Dakota. What do I need to do to obtain a North Dakota driver license?
First, you have up to 150 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota driver license. You have up to 120 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota CDL (if you are a commercial driver).Second, you will need to visit a driver license site. See the schedule on this website for locations and times. You will need to present your out-of-state driver license and legal proof of your current name and date of birth, such as a state-certified birth certificate, U.S. Passport, and government issued marriage certificate for name change. See the entire list of acceptable identification documents. The out-of-state license is not acceptable for proof of name and date of birth.

Third, you will be required to pass a vision test. You may be required to pass the written and road tests pending presentation of the actual out-of-state license, a driving record check, and medical criteria. The driver license examiners will determine license eligibility when you apply for the North Dakota license.
South Dakota, Bogey's - Rapid City. I just moved back from there June 17th. I could literally pick a better fishing trip than this out of my nose. Get real!

They must share databases with CO and saw that you had a license, in which case your CO is no more.
Well I just called the DMV and they told me I could come in a purchase a duplicate. I said I can just come in "everything's cool"? Yes, Mr. Finless, your license is in good standing with the State of Colorado.

This seems incorrect. I was told when trying to transfer my NJ license to NY that I needed to give up my NJ license.
NJ and NY are the only two states that are like this. I was just talking with my friend about that from NJ just now asking him the same questions. He is in the same situation and moving out here and can get a CO license.

First, you have up to 150 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota driver license. You have up to 120 days before you are required to obtain the North Dakota CDL (if you are a commercial driver).Second, you will need to visit a driver license site. See the schedule on this website for locations and times. You will need to present your out-of-state driver license and legal proof of your current name and date of birth, such as a state-certified birth certificate, U.S. Passport, and government issued marriage certificate for name change. See the entire list of acceptable identification documents. The out-of-state license is not acceptable for proof of name and date of birth.

South Dakota, Bogey's - Rapid City. I just moved back from there June 17th. I could literally pick a better fishing trip than this out of my nose. Get real!
Again :bs:

9. I moved to South Dakota from another state. What do I need to do to get a South Dakota Driver license?

To obtain a South Dakota driver license, you need to visit a South Dakota exam station and submit an application. You will need to take your out-of-state license and provide items from this list of documents. The application and the out-of-state license will be given to the examiner. The examiner will check to make sure you have valid driving privileges in all states, and you will be given a vision screening. When both are completed and passed, you will be issued a South Dakota license valid for five (5) years and charged a license fee.

http://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/faqs.aspx#moved

Ah whatever. I don't give a #### about links and what people think they know. I posted this while I was on hold for 20 minutes with Colorado DMV. He said I have a valid license in good standing with the state of CO - verbatim, and I can come in and grab a duplicate. I may get ambushed there but I won't know if I don't show up.

This seems incorrect. I was told when trying to transfer my NJ license to NY that I needed to give up my NJ license.
NJ and NY are the only two states that are like this. I was just talking with my friend about that from NJ just now asking him the same questions. He is in the same situation and moving out here and can get a CO license.
Okay, last reply by me since this is all in your head....I have had licenses in 6 states (AR, LA, TX, MO, TN, MA) and everyone required I turn in my valid license from the other state or I would have had to take the driving and the written exams.

Ah whatever. I don't give a #### about links and what people think they know. I posted this while I was on hold for 20 minutes with Colorado DMV. He said I have a valid license in good standing with the state of CO - verbatim, and I can come in and grab a duplicate. I may get ambushed there but I won't know if I don't show up.
Make sure you put the number of a bail bondsman in your phone before you get there.

9. I moved to South Dakota from another state. What do I need to do to get a South Dakota Driver license?

To obtain a South Dakota driver license, you need to visit a South Dakota exam station and submit an application. You will need to take your out-of-state license and provide items from this list of documents. The application and the out-of-state license will be given to the examiner. The examiner will check to make sure you have valid driving privileges in all states, and you will be given a vision screening. When both are completed and passed, you will be issued a South Dakota license valid for five (5) years and charged a license fee.

Great Bogey's, once again. I lost my CO license in CO the day before I was driving back to SD last December...the 17th to be exact. I had my birth certificate mailed and picked up a Tax document from 2012 at the IRS. I walked in to the DMV, told them I lost my CO license, provided them with the forms and walked out with a license in 10 minutes on New Year's Eve. Not a temporary one. They printed a laminated license out of a machine and I was on my way. DMV here says my license is in good standing. Not sure if the left isn't talking to the right but all I know is as it stands I don't have to go 30 days without driving.

It was a long time ago, but when my CA license expired I got a NY license instead... no tests. Or I'm misremembering the "expired" part, and I just got a new license here in NY, not tests.

I do know that my CA license was not valid any longer.

GL, fin- hopefully this isn't a sting operation.

Make sure you put the number of a bail bondsman in your phone before you get there.
What could they arrest me for?

You're welcome.

what couldn't they arrest you for?

Oh...plenty.

I do know when they took my CO license in 2012 for points I had to go through the whole process again to get it back. Had to go in and take a test on a computer. They caught me on my cell phone and made me retake it. Aced it - 28 out of 30 iirc. who know's? All I know is a weight is lifted and I don't have to tell my company "I've been riding dirty since August".

what couldn't they arrest you for?

follow up question, how many states have taken away your driving privileges and is there any chance, no matter how remote, that there could be a message to you in here someplace???

Great Bogey's, once again. I lost my CO license in CO the day before I was driving back to SD last December...the 17th to be exact. I had my birth certificate mailed and picked up a Tax document from 2012 at the IRS. I walked in to the DMV, told them I lost my CO license, provided them with the forms and walked out with a license in 10 minutes on New Year's Eve. Not a temporary one. They printed a laminated license out of a machine and I was on my way. DMV here says my license is in good standing. Not sure if the left isn't talking to the right but all I know is as it stands I don't have to go 30 days without driving.
:lmao:

You aren't even trying now....went to an IRS office without photo ID (that you had lost) and I am sure they gave you a copy of a tax return. Never mind that you are saying you had a BC, a tax document and no photo ID (again) and they just gave you a DL.

I usually enjoy your threads, but this one kinda sucks.

Okay, I got popped for a DUI early January which I was guilty of. Mid April I was pulled over sober leaving a pub with my girlfriend at the time. I hadn't even had a drink. I was hauled in by a cop who'd been on the job for two months for DUI. Was ridiculous. 3 weeks of calling the courthouse to get my blood results and they finally said "They came back inconclusive. We could not get a reading on your blood". At the time I had a lawyer for the first one but decided to talk with a PD. She said she'd take on both cases. I was offered a plea that I turned down. I was then offered a second plea - plead guilty to DUI 1 and reckless driving for the second. Loss of license for 30 days - 2 DUI classes and court fines of $780.

Was also told I could get a work license during that period. Now while this was all happening I took a sales manager position back down in Colorado and notified my PD. Before I mailed in the plea we went over the terms. She said work license would be part of the package. What she didn't know is that they cannot issue a work license out of the state which would clearly effect my plea. I would have fought it. Anyhow, the person I was living with in SD told me they saw some mail from the DMV which they could read through the little window "Your right to drive has" and not the rest. I didn't want him knowing my business as he is someone I do work with from time to time. Procrastination took over and I didn't even want to know what was up because I am so busy with work.

Fast forward to today. I was given a company truck and they finally said they had to add me to the insurance. I decided this would be a good time to stop procrastinating and figure out if my license was valid. Apparently preheating was on the 31 of June or July _ I honestly forget which and sentencing was on August 4th. My PD never called me back after I sent the plea package. My 30 days never started because I never surrendered my license. Called SD DMV and they stated my license was revoked and I needed to surrender any license I had to begin the 30 days.

My friend in Jersey said "You can just get a license in CO. 99% sure. You just can't drive in SD". Bells went off. I had never actually lost my right to drive here and had just got a new license less than two years ago. Called DMV - Good standing. Case closed. Don't go back to South Dakota.

follow up question, how many states have taken away your driving privileges and is there any chance, no matter how remote, that there could be a message to you in here someplace???
Yes, in 22 years of driving I have lost my license for a total of 7 months - WHOA! Drove every single say I was suspended as well....

The answer is likely very state specific. If a particular state has given you a license to drive, you are possibly okay to do so. However, if you drive in another state, even one that didn't suspend you, you could be in violation of that states law since your original state suspended your privilege to drive.

:lmao:

You aren't even trying now....went to an IRS office without photo ID (that you had lost) and I am sure they gave you a copy of a tax return. Never mind that you are saying you had a BC, a tax document and no photo ID (again) and they just gave you a DL.

I usually enjoy your threads, but this one kinda sucks.
Absolutely - went right in and gave them my SS number and got my taxes from 2012. Try it. I also called the city hall and had them mail me a birth certificate. All I had to do was give them my mother's maiden name her place of birth.

Does your employer know about your multiple DUI arrests?

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is likely very state specific. If a particular state has given you a license to drive, you are possibly okay to do so. However, if you drive in another state, even one that didn't suspend you, you could be in violation of that states law since your original state suspended your privilege to drive.
No my original state didn't. The only reason I got a license in SD is because I lost my wallet. My original license was in CO, where I am now.

I had to give up my Texas license to get my PA license. That may be because they are so close together though.

Okay, I got popped for a DUI early January which I was guilty of. Mid April I was pulled over sober leaving a pub with my girlfriend at the time. I hadn't even had a drink. I was hauled in by a cop who'd been on the job for two months for DUI. Was ridiculous. 3 weeks of calling the courthouse to get my blood results and they finally said "They came back inconclusive. We could not get a reading on your blood". At the time I had a lawyer for the first one but decided to talk with a PD. She said she'd take on both cases. I was offered a plea that I turned down. I was then offered a second plea - plead guilty to DUI 1 and reckless driving for the second. Loss of license for 30 days - 2 DUI classes and court fines of $780.

Was also told I could get a work license during that period. Now while this was all happening I took a sales manager position back down in Colorado and notified my PD. Before I mailed in the plea we went over the terms. She said work license would be part of the package. What she didn't know is that they cannot issue a work license out of the state which would clearly effect my plea. I would have fought it. Anyhow, the person I was living with in SD told me they saw some mail from the DMV which they could read through the little window "Your right to drive has" and not the rest. I didn't want him knowing my business as he is someone I do work with from time to time. Procrastination took over and I didn't even want to know what was up because I am so busy with work.

Fast forward to today. I was given a company truck and they finally said they had to add me to the insurance. I decided this would be a good time to stop procrastinating and figure out if my license was valid. Apparently preheating was on the 31 of June or July _ I honestly forget which and sentencing was on August 4th. My PD never called me back after I sent the plea package. My 30 days never started because I never surrendered my license. Called SD DMV and they stated my license was revoked and I needed to surrender any license I had to begin the 30 days.

My friend in Jersey said "You can just get a license in CO. 99% sure. You just can't drive in SD". Bells went off. I had never actually lost my right to drive here and had just got a new license less than two years ago. Called DMV - Good standing. Case closed. Don't go back to South Dakota.
Habitual drunk driver blaming it on the rookie cop. Classic. :lmao:

The reason I talked with a PD is my original lawyer said "$2000 down to take on the new case". I went to speak with the PD and I told her my deal. She said we should either do both or neither. When we finally watched the video of the cop pulling me over for allegedly having my taillights out the video actually showed my taillights on. Also no reading on the blood. She also said she would actually use my field sobriety test as evidence I was NOT intoxicated. All that said she said it comes down to a jury and they could still find me guilty. I left my paid attorney and took both cases to her. Lesson learned though. She never even called me for sentencing.

I had to give up my Texas license to get my PA license. That may be because they are so close together though.
Sheik, how can you give up a license you physically lost?

Users who are viewing this thread