What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Early reports are Ball is out for a while (some sort of ball cancer, probably why he has been playing so ####### terrible)...

Anyways, this is a crucial move for the season here and we should open this up for discussion outside the "Ball sucks" thread. Which one to target and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
i own ball and neither hillman or anderson.

i think its cj anderson and am targetting him over hillman.

cj was the second in rb order the first 3 games and supposedly fits the mold of rb denver wants from its starter. hillman is the COP back. both of these statements come from team sources but i am too lazy to look them up. it actually works out pretty well for ball owners because everyone will chase hillman and you can get CJ pretty cheap

cj was the second in rb order the first 3 games and supposedly fits the mold of rb denver wants from its starter. hillman is the COP back. both of these statements come from team sources but i am too lazy to look them up. it actually works out pretty well for ball owners because everyone will chase hillman and you can get CJ pretty cheap
Hillman looked good today... Compared to Ball he looked like Barry Sanders.

Own Ball as well but until we know why Anderson wasn't playing, Hillman looks to be the better option.

Why dont we jus wait to see reports on who it will be? Me personally, think it will be hillman. Hes the veteran

STAY AWAY

Regardless of your clear hatred of Ball, he is the best RB and starter for a reason. The other ones will cause you such a headache you may hit, but you have a great chance of missing by playing Hillman, Anderson or Thompson.

Thompson got the not over Anderson today so that doesn't give me much confidence in him. I'd like to know why he was inactive first.

It's 2014, Shanahan has been gone for ages and we still have problems figuring out who's the right play @ RB in Denver :wall:

Why dont we jus wait to see reports on who it will be? Me personally, think it will be hillman. Hes the veteran
The reports will be cloudy at best... This is a situation where one of the two will win out, and the one that wins out will be a difference maker on your magic football roster.

I'm going to hold onto Montee and hope my backups do well. Would have to drop him to get Denver's backup anyway. Not worth the risk especially once their schedule lightens up.

Pure speculation, but rotoworld had a blurb saying Anderson was inactive because he doesn't play special teams.

I'm going to hold onto Montee and hope my backups do well. Would have to drop him to get Denver's backup anyway. Not worth the risk especially once their schedule lightens up.
Anyone with a pulse will beat him out... He's awful and blew his chance! I say this as a fellow Ball owner.

I haven't listened to the Footballguys podcast in a couple of weeks, but the first few weeks of the season they were really high on CJ possibly overtaking Ball.

I have nothing else to add. I'm hoping he's the guy.

Anyone with a pulse will beat him out... He's awful and blew his chance! I say this as a fellow Ball owner.
no. i think when hes healthy he takes it back. not saying he should
If someone comes in and plays well, he rides the pine. He's shown nothing through the first 4 games.

It'll probably mean Manning just throws even more. Will it even be worth starting any bronco RB?
This could be a Moreno situation like last year. Not saying that is definite, but it is possible. That's why I feel this is really important. As good as the pass game is, they need a running threat.

Tell me why Anderson was out today and I'll answer this Q.

If it was illness or injury you'd think we'd have heard. So it's either a demotion or some sort of disciplinary thing. The latter might be better for his prospects.

And don't forget that they go up against superior run defenses the next two weeks anyway.
Yeah. I may just hold ball and play my backups the next couple weeks. This sucks. Damn denver rbsThe odds of us finding out any useful info regarding cj vs hillman over the next 24 to 48 hours is pretty slim

Elway has repeatedly insisted Hillman is a COP back. I have Anderson rostered in most my dynasties but am probably going to avoid this one in redraft. They should have kept Moreno as cheap as he was.

Hillman looked good today... Compared to Ball he looked like Barry Sanders.
So did cj when he was given chances

It'll probably mean Manning just throws even more. Will it even be worth starting any bronco RB?
Agreed, I think I'll avoid the Denver RB situation and look elsewhere, the waiver wire or attempt a trade.But, my gut tells me that Anderson will fill the Ball 3-down role.

Elway has repeatedly insisted Hillman is a COP back. I have Anderson rostered in most my dynasties but am probably going to avoid this one in redraft. They should have kept Moreno as cheap as he was.
I think CJ is a great flier, everyone will be going for Oliver (if available) and Hillman this week. Depends on what your WW priority is. I realize the Broncos could continue passing constantly, but you'd think they would try to limit Manning's dropbacks to a point by establishing a run game. I think they shyed away because Ball was not effective, and maybe it is the O Line. Either way CJ seems worth a flier.

I didn't understand that at all. He performed really well for them and was really cheap...I guess they wanted to hand it over the Ball....

I didn't understand that at all. He performed really well for them and was really cheap...I guess they wanted to hand it over the Ball....
Well, they invested a high draft pick on Ball who was a beast coming out of college. Plus, he looked very good towards the end of last season. No idea why he's been so bad this year so far.

It sounds like CJ doesnt play special teams. So the fact they backed up ball with Hillman this week tells me they were concerned with pass pro against a decent ARZ defense.... and it tells me the coaches like hillman better than anderson in pass pro. As other have stated the coaches have called hillman a COP back... So going forward i'd imagine you'd see a lot of CJ on 1st and 2nd downs with hillman spelling him on 3rd downs or 2 min offense. my best guess

It sounds like CJ doesnt play special teams. So the fact they backed up ball with Hillman this week tells me they were concerned with pass pro against a decent ARZ defense.... and it tells me the coaches like hillman better than anderson in pass pro. As other have stated the coaches have called hillman a COP back... So going forward i'd imagine you'd see a lot of CJ on 1st and 2nd downs with hillman spelling him on 3rd downs or 2 min offense. my best guess
Not sure how A leads you to B.

Not sure how A leads you to B.
the 3rd RB on most teams has to play on all special teams.... so if anderson doesnt play special teams.... and they like hillman better in pass pro.... they arent going to activate anderson as the 3rd RB if he doesnt play special teams

1-ball

2-hillman

3-howard (assuming he plays STs.... lots of assumptions here)

4-? most teams dont carry 4 rb's active so that's why anderson was the odd man out yesterday?

This makes sense to me.

This makes sense to me.
the espn beat guy is guessing hillman is the lead dog

rotoworld and http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/9107/montee-ball-andre-caldwell-injured-in-broncos-win

ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold expects Ronnie Hillman to "move into the lead role" if Montee Ball (groin) misses time.

Ball's groin injury looks severe enough that it will keep him out for a significant period. Enter Hillman, who came off the bench for 64 yards on 15 carries in Sunday's win over the Cardinals. He's not a prototypical feature back as he lacks power, but does play reasonably well in the pass game and has some burst in the open field. We've seen good backs become great with Peyton Manning and average ones become good. Hillman is worth burning a top waiver priority on even though he'll likely lose some reps to C.J. Anderson and maybe even Juwan Thompson.

This makes sense to me.
the espn beat guy is guessing hillman is the lead dog

rotoworld and http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/9107/montee-ball-andre-caldwell-injured-in-broncos-win

ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold expects Ronnie Hillman to "move into the lead role" if Montee Ball (groin) misses time.

Ball's groin injury looks severe enough that it will keep him out for a significant period. Enter Hillman, who came off the bench for 64 yards on 15 carries in Sunday's win over the Cardinals. He's not a prototypical feature back as he lacks power, but does play reasonably well in the pass game and has some burst in the open field. We've seen good backs become great with Peyton Manning and average ones become good. Hillman is worth burning a top waiver priority on even though he'll likely lose some reps to C.J. Anderson and maybe even Juwan Thompson.
I just thought some of those comparisons to Moreno 2012 were interesting, so I looked up the RW entry from that time.

Note this is from 2012:

RW 11/20/12:

According to ESPN's Bill Williamson, Denver "clearly doesn't trust" Knowshon Moreno.
Moreno was the Broncos' No. 12 overall pick in 2009, but he's fallen out of favor. He hasn't played since Week 2 and has totaled eight carries on the season. With Willis McGahee (knee) down, Ronnie Hillman is expected to start and cede power-running duties to Lance Ball. Moreno's role figures to expand, but he's still just the No. 3 back until further notice.
Then, the next weekend...

RW 11/25/12:

Making a surprise start in the absence of Willis McGahee, Knowshon Moreno carried the ball 20 times for 85 yards in Denver's Week 12 win over the Chiefs, adding four catches for 26 yards.
Moreno got the rock on the Broncos' first two plays, and there was no looking back. He was an every-down back. Backup Ronnie Hillman touched the ball just three times, his second-lowest total since Denver's Week 7 bye. Lance Ball stayed glued to the sideline. Moreno's stunning ascension from No. 4 to No. 1 on the depth chart had everything to do with his pass-protection prowess, but his running should keep him there. Although he rarely got more than what was blocked, Moreno ran with decisiveness, and was stopped for a loss only once before being tasked with getting the ball near K Matt Prater's preferred hashmark on the Broncos' final drive. It's doubtful Hillman's role will remain so limited going forward, but Moreno is well worth a waiver-wire add this week.
That was the previous ESPN beat guy.

I'm not sure how RW does its depth charts either. The Broncos' website shows the depth chart with Anderson No. 4. But RW shows him as No. 2, why?

This makes sense to me.
What does pass protection have to do with playing special teams?

I'm more concerned they came out of the bye and sat CJ - usually teams make adjustments over the bye. If I'm correct Hillman was inactive for the first 3 games?

This makes sense to me.

I'm more concerned they came out of the bye and sat CJ - usually teams make adjustments over the bye. If I'm correct Hillman was inactive for the first 3 games?
Hillman played vs seattle, not sure about weeks 1 & 2

This makes sense to me.

Actually I didn't notice the bit about pass protection, I just was thinking about the comment that Anderson could be an early down role and Hillman the 3rd down receiving role. I don't know if anyone here has any solid opinion on Anderson's pass protection capabilities.

I did check though and the last time this happened in Nov. 2012 when McGahee went out, in that game Hillman got 12 carries and Lance Ball got 6. FF owners then went crazy picking up Hillman.

The next game Moreno, who had been inactive the game before, got nearly all the work, and a lot of it, 24 touches, and Hillman got a handful.

The Broncos are reportedly bracing for a major groin injury to Montee Ball.
This is in line with a Denver Post report from Sunday night that stated Ball will be out "for a while." It confirms that the injury is not a garden-variety strain, and could very well be a high-grade pull. We should know more by Monday afternoon. Look for Ronnie Hillman to step in as the lead back for the foreseeable future, with C.J. Anderson as his primary backup. Juwan Thompson could also get involved.

Users who are viewing this thread