What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (1 Viewer)

Is CJ Anderson injured or has he lost out to Thompson?

(KFFL)Denver Broncos RB Juwan Thompson is slotted behind RB Ronnie Hillman on the depth chart, and he is a versatile back. He never rushed for more than 500 yards in a season in college, but he caught the ball well, blocked well and played special teams. He even started a game at linebacker in college.

interesting thoughts :

Montee Ball unlikely to regain role Sat Oct 18, 04:38 PM

Denver Broncos RB Montee Ball (groin) will have a difficult time regaining the featured-back role this season after his injury. It's beat writer Mike Klis' opinion that Ball never fully recovered from his appendectomy, which could have been a precursor to his groin injury.

Footballguys view: We will see what really happens but it could be that Ball is going to have to earn that job all over again. Ball just didn't look right this season so Klis may be right. Don't give up on him in dynasty and he's worth the roster spot for redraft unless you're in desperate need of a starter.

It's hard to keep ball in redraft. His injury is 100% going to bother him all year. If hillman keeps playing well (with juicier match ups ahead), I wouldn't be surprised if ball goes on IR. He had a complete separation of the groin; my heart goes out to him with that pain

(KFFL)Denver Broncos RB Juwan Thompson is slotted behind RB Ronnie Hillman on the depth chart, and he is a versatile back. He never rushed for more than 500 yards in a season in college, but he caught the ball well, blocked well and played special teams. He even started a game at linebacker in college.
Thompson is ahead of him, I think. He pass blocks better than any of the other backs. He runs hard and can catch. He's smart and well coached by Cutcliff at Duke. Cutcliff - who is the person Peyton maybe trusts most out of his immediate family - put the call into Denver to 'get Thompson a spot at Denver. And, finally, in the game where they lost Ball there was a post game quote from Peyton that I'm quoting from memory here so it might be off a hair,"The moment wasn't too big for him."

Now, that was two weeks ago and a lot can change in that time. What we do know is Thompson got the nod behind Hillman. I'm very interested to see what he can do with more time on the field.

interesting thoughts :

Denver Broncos RB Montee Ball (groin) will have a difficult time regaining the featured-back role this season after his injury. It's beat writer Mike Klis' opinion that Ball never fully recovered from his appendectomy, which could have been a precursor to his groin injury.

Footballguys view: We will see what really happens but it could be that Ball is going to have to earn that job all over again. Ball just didn't look right this season so Klis may be right. Don't give up on him in dynasty and he's worth the roster spot for redraft unless you're in desperate need of a starter.
"MONTEE BALL UNLIKELY TO REGAIN ROLE!!!!!" (according to one reporter's opinion)

saintfool said:
Donnybrook said:

Thompson is ahead of him, I think. He pass blocks better than any of the other backs. He runs hard and can catch. He's smart and well coached by Cutcliff at Duke. Cutcliff - who is the person Peyton maybe trusts most out of his immediate family - put the call into Denver to 'get Thompson a spot at Denver. And, finally, in the game where they lost Ball there was a post game quote from Peyton that I'm quoting from memory here so it might be off a hair,"The moment wasn't too big for him."

Now, that was two weeks ago and a lot can change in that time. What we do know is Thompson got the nod behind Hillman. I'm very interested to see what he can do with more time on the field.
Hi Cutliff! :bowtie:

Cecil will no doubt find a way to explain this away.
He won't offer an explanation. Bloom will say something about the "theory of rational coaching," which is shorthand for saying that Anderson is the better player, and John Fox is just being dumb. They will then mention Hillman in the waiver wire show later this week, which is too late in 90% of leagues.

And to be clear, I'm a big fan of the Audible and Cecil/Bloom's work. But sometimes they have their favorites and they'll overlook things. Everyone has bias. Bloom thinks Anderson is the better player, and who's to say he's wrong, but sometimes you can outsmart yourself when you start talking about which player has better lateral agility or power between the tackles and ignore things like Anderson being a healthy scratch a week ago. Sometimes bias is a good thing, sometimes it's blinding.

Hopefully nobody took Hillman over Anderson on the wire. Ironically I had leagues where Anderson has been rostered for weeks and Hillman was sitting out there, no doubt a testament to the influence of FBG's and other fantasy guys who were also pimping Anderson.
Yep. I owned Anderson as the Ball handcuff in a few leagues. I actually owned Hillman originally and then made the switch a couple weeks back after Cecil/Bloom kept reiterating that it would be Anderson's job if Ball ever went down. Against my better judgement, I considered Cecil/Bloom an authority on the matter and went with their advice. Now I'm stuck with waiver wire trash rather than a weekly RB2.

I have no doubt the explanation will be "The NFL coach with years of experience and a SB team is an idiot. He doesn't know his own RBs...it's his fault"

This is the analysis I get in return for $35/yr plus listening to 7-8 "GIVE YOUR MONEY TO FANDUEL" advertisements on every episode of the Audible *Brought to you by FanDuel*

I came to FBG to hear podcasts with expert analysis. I went to Fantasy Focus when I wanted something more entertaining to listen to. Now I may as well just skip stright to the entertainment each week.

/rant
would this be the same site that alerted you to welker going on pup before the season to make room for a 2nd kicker, even though he was ineligible, even though there was no reason for it, and even though the first kicker didn't count as a roster spot anyway?

99% of the fantasy football industry is snake oil.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
interesting thoughts :

I thought this part was pretty funny:

Don't give up on him in dynasty and he's worth the roster spot for redraft unless you're in desperate need of a starter.
Well, if your first round pick goes down with an injury and loses his job..... you might just be in desperate need of a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the key words in that article were 'featured-back'. I wouldn't discount Ball's ability to come back and make this RBBC hell.

Looking forward to hanging out with you Hillman owners during tonight's game. Maybe I will start a separate thread.

He won't offer an explanation. Bloom will say something about the "theory of rational coaching," which is shorthand for saying that Anderson is the better player, and John Fox is just being dumb. They will then mention Hillman in the waiver wire show later this week, which is too late in 90% of leagues.

And to be clear, I'm a big fan of the Audible and Cecil/Bloom's work. But sometimes they have their favorites and they'll overlook things. Everyone has bias. Bloom thinks Anderson is the better player, and who's to say he's wrong, but sometimes you can outsmart yourself when you start talking about which player has better lateral agility or power between the tackles and ignore things like Anderson being a healthy scratch a week ago. Sometimes bias is a good thing, sometimes it's blinding.

Hopefully nobody took Hillman over Anderson on the wire. Ironically I had leagues where Anderson has been rostered for weeks and Hillman was sitting out there, no doubt a testament to the influence of FBG's and other fantasy guys who were also pimping Anderson.
Yep. I owned Anderson as the Ball handcuff in a few leagues. I actually owned Hillman originally and then made the switch a couple weeks back after Cecil/Bloom kept reiterating that it would be Anderson's job if Ball ever went down. Against my better judgement, I considered Cecil/Bloom an authority on the matter and went with their advice. Now I'm stuck with waiver wire trash rather than a weekly RB2.

I have no doubt the explanation will be "The NFL coach with years of experience and a SB team is an idiot. He doesn't know his own RBs...it's his fault"

This is the analysis I get in return for $35/yr plus listening to 7-8 "GIVE YOUR MONEY TO FANDUEL" advertisements on every episode of the Audible *Brought to you by FanDuel*

I came to FBG to hear podcasts with expert analysis. I went to Fantasy Focus when I wanted something more entertaining to listen to. Now I may as well just skip stright to the entertainment each week.

/rant
would this be the same site that alerted you to welker going on pup before the season to make room for a 2nd kicker, even though he was ineligible, even though there was no reason for it, and even though the first kicker didn't count as a roster spot anyway?

99% of the fantasy football industry is snake oil.
There's so much information readily available, I honestly cannot fathom that anyone actually pays for fantasy advice anymore. Unless it's all 22 film or maybe in depth statistics (like pff), actually paying for information seems silly. Plus, the only expert advice you should be weighing on this site is Dodds on RBs, Lee on WRs and Miglio on TEs as they've been pretty accurate with those specific positions this year. Everything else? You're better off flipping a coin.

Completely agree with Song - I would bet there is almost nothing in the pay material that contributed to winning a game that couldn't have been taken from free sites or the message boards.

I do listen to the audible waiver show (cause it's free) - and last Tuesday they were stating that Anderson is clearly the most talented back among him, Hillman, Thompson. The week before they were hedging their bet on something like "you just don't know what John Fox will do."

Sometimes - like this one - better to recognize you may be wrong than to keep covering your bases.

I do listen to the audible waiver show (cause it's free) - and last Tuesday they were stating that Anderson is clearly the most talented back among him, Hillman, Thompson. The week before they were hedging their bet on something like "you just don't know what John Fox will do."

Sometimes - like this one - better to recognize you may be wrong than to keep covering your bases.
they've been saying for two months that they felt Anderson was the more talented of the group, even while Ball was starting and putting up reasonable statlines. Really, it almost seems like Gayle Sayers could be starting for Denver and unless someone can stop Peyton (due to injury, scheme, deciphering "Omaha", whatever) the RB1 du jour is probably going to record nominal fantasy stats over the long haul.

Maybe it is time to change the title of this thread.
:goodposting: Hillman will take Ball's job. He looks a million times better.

This guy will hopefully be a difference maker!
as a ball owner, who lost out on hillman im gonna see if i can get ANYTHING for ball as i think hes hillmans handcuff now
I have ball and no Hillman in one league and vice versa in another. Hillman looks real good, Ball looked absolutely terrible... Really is that simple.

yeah i am really considering just cutting ball lose. unless hillman goes on a fumble streak or gets hurt hes the guy

But as Cecil has told us for three straight weeks, "Ronnie Hillman...whatever...can only run when the holes are there...can't break tackles...blah blah"....I guess that sort of thing still works for fantasy, though, right?

But as Cecil has told us for three straight weeks, "Ronnie Hillman...whatever...can only run when the holes are there...can't break tackles...blah blah"....I guess that sort of thing still works for fantasy, though, right?
i thought he told us CJ anderson was the guy. where is he BTW? thanks cecil. thanks alot :doh:

BTW, Juwan Thompson looked real good between the tackles. He got an early 3rd and short conversion, and not much again until the game had been decided. He ended up 6 for 30.

Bah, garrbag time run. Besides, he didn't show great lateral agility on that long TD run. CJ Anderson would've scored that TD, and with more lateral agility. His time is coming.

So glad I grabbed Hillman in both my leagues!

Sealed one victory for me tonight and gave me a chance to win tomorrow.

I dropped him at the beginning of the year after drafting him as a Devy player.......Im grad his doing well. It seemed that he would never get it, boy was i wrong.

/rant
And there's your problem.

There's no such thing as a fantasy football expert even though some people really do think they are. Some make more educated guesses than others, but no one you get advice from on a fantasy football board knows substantially more than you can find out yourself or probably know just from watching football. If they were experts on player evaluation, they'd be employed by an NFL team or in football somehow, not writing columns on a fantasy football website.

My success in fantasy football became greater when I stopped paying for anything and managed my own teams without listening to "experts."
you should run your own site. or some how make your analysis and preferences for players available. if you are better than fbg, as you imply, then you will make a killing. and so will i, since i will pay for your service and reap the benefits.

I haven't had time to watch. Hope he had a great game for you guys.
Hope Ronnie's grapes aren't too sour for ya.
You guys are funny, All I stated was his game against NYJ was not as impressive as you guys were making it out to be - no matter how he played last night it doesn't change that his game against the Jets wasn't that great. And if you read enough sites, there was concern from others about that performance not being that great.

And, Retukes, you still don't know anything about football.

Hillman's let us all down before, but as well as he's playing right now I don't see how this is anyone's job other than his the rest of the way. He looked genuinely great- not good, great- against San Francisco last night. Hillman now owns the two most impressive games by a Denver RB this season.

You guys are funny, All I stated was his game against NYJ was not as impressive as you guys were making it out to be - no matter how he played last night it doesn't change that his game against the Jets wasn't that great. And if you read enough sites, there was concern from others about that performance not being that great.

This is fantasy football. We're all wrong sometimes.

Might as well just admit your mistake and move on. Humility is a good quality in a person.

The only thing I know for sure is that Hillman has looked like the best Broncos RB. Beyond that, I have no clue what to expect with this backfield.

I think the beauty of the Denver RB situation is the RB does not have to be great to succeed for FF purposes.

I'm torn on whether to ship him off in a package deal for a RB that has a more definite chance of remaining the starter for the remainder of the season. Part of me thinks his performances so far will cement him as the top back in Denver, while the other part of me thinks this will become an un ugly RBBC once Ball is back with the potential for Ball to take back over if Hillman resumes fumbling or doesn't keep up this performance.

What are others planning on doing with him? Is he a hold or are you actively shopping him? I'm not even sure others would value him too highly without following the situation closely.

I think the beauty of the Denver RB situation is the RB does not have to be great to succeed for FF purposes.
That's what I thought when I drafted Ball. :kicks rock:

Maybe Hillman's style fits the offense better. He's about the same size as Andre Ellington, and on a much better team.

I don't have a dog in the fight as I own no Denver Rb in any league. But I have spent a lot of time watching all things Denver for a few years and have been fortunate enough to "hit" on being able to figure out/see what is going on during the past few seasons.

My take FWIW: Hillman has stumbled across a very generous situation. He is playing on a team where the entire league is focused on Peyton Manning. Nobody is paying attention to the ground game right now and every team is maximizing its efforts to try to slow down this literal handful of receiving weapons. Every box is undermanned and every lane is W I D E. Because he does have good lateral agility and speed, he is making himself look a lot better than he is. If I owned him, I would sell.

Ball is not the answer. I think he will go the LenDale White route in just a few years.

Anderson, IMO, is a guy that could play for a lot of teams and play well. He is the one guy that could look like a competent Rb for teams when things are normal or bad, not just when everything is so great like it is in Denver right now.

My opinion is just one of many, I know.

I don't have a dog in the fight as I own no Denver Rb in any league. But I have spent a lot of time watching all things Denver for a few years and have been fortunate enough to "hit" on being able to figure out/see what is going on during the past few seasons.

My take FWIW: Hillman has stumbled across a very generous situation. He is playing on a team where the entire league is focused on Peyton Manning. Nobody is paying attention to the ground game right now and every team is maximizing its efforts to try to slow down this literal handful of receiving weapons. Every box is undermanned and every lane is W I D E. Because he does have good lateral agility and speed, he is making himself look a lot better than he is. If I owned him, I would sell.

Ball is not the answer. I think he will go the LenDale White route in just a few years.

Anderson, IMO, is a guy that could play for a lot of teams and play well. He is the one guy that could look like a competent Rb for teams when things are normal or bad, not just when everything is so great like it is in Denver right now.

Replace Hillman with Moreno and Anderson with Ball and it sounds like what a ton of people were saying in 2013. If Anderson was really the best running back, his passblocking must be atrocious for him to not be involved at all in the gameplan. Either that's the case, or he's not as good as you think he is. Either way, he won't be getting a lot of action in Denver in the immediate future.

Shutout said:

maybe that's what makes Hillman the best RB for them....not only is the situation favorable, it's designed to favor his skill set.

Hillman's let us all down before, but as well as he's playing right now I don't see how this is anyone's job other than his the rest of the way. He looked genuinely great- not good, great- against San Francisco last night. Hillman now owns the two most impressive games by a Denver RB this season.
That's crazy talk

As an NFL RB, he can't move the chains. When the game was in doubt, he looked downright terrible.

That's crazy talk

As an NFL RB, he can't move the chains. When the game was in doubt, he looked downright terrible.
Agree to disagree, I suppose, because I thought Hillman looked better than any Denver RB has looked at any point this season. It helps that Denver's run blocking was substantially better, and I suspect facing a depleted 49ers LB corps was also a nice boon, but Hillman was diagnosing his blocks, setting up defenders, and making positive things happen all night. He's not a power back, but that doesn't mean he wasn't moving the chains.

Denver is at the epicenter of the weed revolution and Hillman was apart of Snoop Dogg's youth football league. I think we all should have seen this coming.

To give an idea of his perceived value, he was just acquired by the Ball owner for Steve Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread