Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fantasycurse42

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB

I don't have a dog in the fight as I own no Denver Rb in any league. But I have spent a lot of time watching all things Denver for a few years and have been fortunate enough to "hit" on being able to figure out/see what is going on during the past few seasons.

My take FWIW: Hillman has stumbled across a very generous situation. He is playing on a team where the entire league is focused on Peyton Manning. Nobody is paying attention to the ground game right now and every team is maximizing its efforts to try to slow down this literal handful of receiving weapons. Every box is undermanned and every lane is W I D E. Because he does have good lateral agility and speed, he is making himself look a lot better than he is. If I owned him, I would sell.

Ball is not the answer. I think he will go the LenDale White route in just a few years.

Anderson, IMO, is a guy that could play for a lot of teams and play well. He is the one guy that could look like a competent Rb for teams when things are normal or bad, not just when everything is so great like it is in Denver right now.

My opinion is just one of many, I know.

I don't have a dog in the fight as I own no Denver Rb in any league. But I have spent a lot of time watching all things Denver for a few years and have been fortunate enough to "hit" on being able to figure out/see what is going on during the past few seasons.

My take FWIW: Hillman has stumbled across a very generous situation. He is playing on a team where the entire league is focused on Peyton Manning. Nobody is paying attention to the ground game right now and every team is maximizing its efforts to try to slow down this literal handful of receiving weapons. Every box is undermanned and every lane is W I D E. Because he does have good lateral agility and speed, he is making himself look a lot better than he is. If I owned him, I would sell.

Ball is not the answer. I think he will go the LenDale White route in just a few years.

Anderson, IMO, is a guy that could play for a lot of teams and play well. He is the one guy that could look like a competent Rb for teams when things are normal or bad, not just when everything is so great like it is in Denver right now.

Replace Hillman with Moreno and Anderson with Ball and it sounds like what a ton of people were saying in 2013. If Anderson was really the best running back, his passblocking must be atrocious for him to not be involved at all in the gameplan. Either that's the case, or he's not as good as you think he is. Either way, he won't be getting a lot of action in Denver in the immediate future.

maybe that's what makes Hillman the best RB for them....not only is the situation favorable, it's designed to favor his skill set.

Hillman's let us all down before, but as well as he's playing right now I don't see how this is anyone's job other than his the rest of the way. He looked genuinely great- not good, great- against San Francisco last night. Hillman now owns the two most impressive games by a Denver RB this season.

That's crazy talk

As an NFL RB, he can't move the chains. When the game was in doubt, he looked downright terrible.

Hillman's let us all down before, but as well as he's playing right now I don't see how this is anyone's job other than his the rest of the way. He looked genuinely great- not good, great- against San Francisco last night. Hillman now owns the two most impressive games by a Denver RB this season.

That's crazy talk

As an NFL RB, he can't move the chains. When the game was in doubt, he looked downright terrible.

Agree to disagree, I suppose, because I thought Hillman looked better than any Denver RB has looked at any point this season. It helps that Denver's run blocking was substantially better, and I suspect facing a depleted 49ers LB corps was also a nice boon, but Hillman was diagnosing his blocks, setting up defenders, and making positive things happen all night. He's not a power back, but that doesn't mean he wasn't moving the chains.

I think we can all agree that the entire offense has looked better with Hillman

Yes, because they actually hand him the ball.

Denver is at the epicenter of the weed revolution and Hillman was apart of Snoop Dogg's youth football league. I think we all should have seen this coming.

To give an idea of his perceived value, he was just acquired by the Ball owner for Steve Smith.

To give an idea of his perceived value, he was just acquired by the Ball owner for Steve Smith.

yeah i was thinking of offering vjax for him

yeah i was thinking of offering vjax for him

I could see that.

Thurs night predictions against Chargers?

Starting him everywhere I have him (4 ppr leagues). 16 carries for 80 yds and a score. 4 catches for 55 yards and another score. I'll take it. 29 points. (Maybe wishful thinking, I know.)

My one "fear" is that Ball gets semi-healthy, returns to at least a half-share, and screws this good thing up.

My take FWIW: Hillman has stumbled across a very generous situation. He is playing on a team where the entire league is focused on Peyton Manning. Nobody is paying attention to the ground game right now and every team is maximizing its efforts to try to slow down this literal handful of receiving weapons. Every box is undermanned and every lane is W I D E. Because he does have good lateral agility and speed, he is making himself look a lot better than he is. ...

This may be true, I don't even care. To me it looks like he is better suited to this situation than Ball was. Now I will grant that Ball hardly had a chance. He had a good first game vs Indy. KC is a plenty good team that can smother opposing offenses by holding possession (Hillman could have ended up with a similar box score), then there was Seattle at Seattle, then a bye, then hurt. But Hillman's speed and size seem to help him take advantage of those holes. I just hope the Broncos stick with him as the lead back because it is working for all involved.

Btw I miss the old "Hillman Bandwagon" thread. It would have been nice to have all those old discussions contained in one thread seeing Hillman rise back up has been nice.

My one "fear" is that Ball gets semi-healthy, returns to at least a half-share, and screws this good thing up.

My thoughts as well.

As for Hillman, I'm starting him over Shady McCoy in a league. Sitting him for Shady in another. I figure I'll cover my bases.

Looking forward to hanging out with you Hillman owners during tonight's game. Maybe I will start a separate thread.

What are you up to tonight?

Looking forward to hanging out with you Hillman owners during tonight's game. Maybe I will start a separate thread.

What are you up to tonight?

I will be watching - maybe on delay though.

Projections - FUMBLE ;)

It's also worth noticing that Hillman appears to open things up for Demaryius Thomas. Since Hillman started getting significant touches, Thomas is averaging over 170 yards and over 1.5 TDs per game.

The defense simply can't key on Thomas's close to the LOS receptions with Hillman's receiving threat. When Thomas has any space at all after the catch, he's going to destroy the defense.

It's not hate it's skepticism. I appreciate when people look at the downside of players I am high on and I often play the voice of reason on players I am unsure about and others seem incredibly high on (e.g. Shane Vereen). There is often a lot of lazy analysis and caching of hope as data but there is also generally some good analysis that makes you think a little harder about the player in question.

I was pretty high on Ball at the beginning of the season, mostly because of his situation, but he has failed to produce under the same circumstances that Hillman has been performing well in. I also think that Hillman is a better runner and receiver then Ball but was limited by his fumbling problems, which very possibly caused him to lose out on being the #1 RB in Denver last season. The fact that he was running with the #1s last offseason suggests that he is not a liability in pass protection either. Hillman is small but he is not prohibitively small and players can learn to control fumbling problems. Ball was the 58th pick overall and Hillman was the 67th overall pick so it's not like they carried markedly different draft grades either. Hillman also has a year more experience then Ball despite being 9 months younger, which I think works in his favor with John Fox.

So while I still believe that Ball comes back and becomes the starter again I think the door is open for Hillman to hold onto a large piece of the pie and, if their production remains similar to what has happened so far, possibly take over as the lead back down the stretch.

Anyone saying anything about Ball might not have seen his first couple of games. I own him in one league and Hillman in the other... Ball looked awful, Hillman looked very good. One would hope coaches being paid seven figures have noticed this too.

Im much happier with Hillman being the bellcow and just cutting my losses where I own Ball, he just isn't good.

Anyone saying anything about Ball might not have seen his first couple of games. I own him in one league and Hillman in the other... Ball looked awful, Hillman looked very good. One would hope coaches being paid seven figures have noticed this too.

Im much happier with Hillman being the bellcow and just cutting my losses where I own Ball, he just isn't good.

He didn't look good but I also believe the book on a RBs career isn't written after 3 games.

He didn't look good but I also believe the book on a RBs career isn't written after 3 games.

Sure, but he looked REALLY bad. Not to split hairs, but technically he got hurt in the 2nd half of his 4th game. He had 7 yards on 6 carries at that point.

It's not hate it's skepticism. I appreciate when people look at the downside of players I am high on and I often play the voice of reason on players I am unsure about and others seem incredibly high on (e.g. Shane Vereen). There is often a lot of lazy analysis and caching of hope as data but there is also generally some good analysis that makes you think a little harder about the player in question.

I was pretty high on Ball at the beginning of the season, mostly because of his situation, but he has failed to produce under the same circumstances that Hillman has been performing well in. I also think that Hillman is a better runner and receiver then Ball but was limited by his fumbling problems, which very possibly caused him to lose out on being the #1 RB in Denver last season. The fact that he was running with the #1s last offseason suggests that he is not a liability in pass protection either. Hillman is small but he is not prohibitively small and players can learn to control fumbling problems. Ball was the 58th pick overall and Hillman was the 67th overall pick so it's not like they carried markedly different draft grades either. Hillman also has a year more experience then Ball despite being 9 months younger, which I think works in his favor with John Fox.

So while I still believe that Ball comes back and becomes the starter again I think the door is open for Hillman to hold onto a large piece of the pie and, if their production remains similar to what has happened so far, possibly take over as the lead back down the stretch.

This could be Hillman's chance to be a star. What you say makes sense about Ball coming back as the "starter." Makes me sick but there it is. However, if Hillman continues to tear it up it may be tough. He has a few games, the incentives for him could not be greater. Put it down as wishful thinking.

Ball was the 58th pick overall and Hillman was the 67th overall pick so it's not like they carried markedly different draft grades either. Hillman also has a year more experience then Ball despite being 9 months younger, which I think works in his favor with John Fox.

Great point. I think we/people often think of Ball as some prize draft pick, he's not a first rounder. Hillman was an investment as well.

It's also worth noticing that Hillman appears to open things up for Demaryius Thomas. Since Hillman started getting significant touches, Thomas is averaging over 170 yards and over 1.5 TDs per game.

The defense simply can't key on Thomas's close to the LOS receptions with Hillman's receiving threat. When Thomas has any space at all after the catch, he's going to destroy the defense.

I think there is such a thing as "speed to the hole." Hillman just seems to have that over Ball. If the defenses leave the line to blanket the passing game the key is for the RB to take advantage of that fast and pick the right avenues when doing it. If Hillman is more of a receiving threat, all the better.

This could be Hillman's chance to be a star. What you say makes sense about Ball coming back as the "starter." Makes me sick but there it is. However, if Hillman continues to tear it up it may be tough. He has a few games, the incentives for him could not be greater. Put it down as wishful thinking.

Typically I am skeptical about the hot young prospect displacing an established veteran (e.g. Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams) coaches love players they can trust in all phases, not just running. But this case is not even close to that and the fact that Hillman has more experience makes me think that Ball's job security might not be as strong as I thought it was in the beginning of the season.

Typically I am skeptical about the hot young prospect displacing an established veteran (e.g. Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams) coaches love players they can trust in all phases, not just running. But this case is not even close to that and the fact that Hillman has more experience makes me think that Ball's job security might not be as strong as I thought it was in the beginning of the season.

Yea but Jennings has looked better and is more trustable, so his job shouldn't be in jeopardy.

Ball has just earned the starting job, is younger, and through a small sample size, it looks like Hillman's play may have matured a little.

One thing people often forget is that the fantasy population at large is reacting to numbers and the bit of game play that they watch. The coaches are basing their decisions on a whole bunch of info that we are not privy to know.

So if you believe Ball beat out Hillman for the starting spot, than you have to recognize a real threat that Ball will be given his shot to get the job back. If you believe Hillman lost the competition - or that the coaches were anti-Hillman - and Ball won by default - you may have a shot for Hillman to step out front.

But honestly - I think the Hillman fumble is coming.

Yea but Jennings has looked better and is more trustable, so his job shouldn't be in jeopardy.

Ball has just earned the starting job, is younger, and through a small sample size, it looks like Hillman's play may have matured a little.

Hillman is 9 months younger but has 1 year more experience in the NFL then Ball. I was contrasting this situation with one where I think the established veteran would get the job back. Hillman is actually the veteran, barely, and he is playing better...so far (a couple fumbles probably changes everything).

I like Hillman tonight I like him better then Ball to be honest.

One thing people often forget is that the fantasy population at large is reacting to numbers and the bit of game play that they watch. The coaches are basing their decisions on a whole bunch of info that we are not privy to know.

So if you believe Ball beat out Hillman for the starting spot, than you have to recognize a real threat that Ball will be given his shot to get the job back. If you believe Hillman lost the competition - or that the coaches were anti-Hillman - and Ball won by default - you may have a shot for Hillman to step out front.

But honestly - I think the Hillman fumble is coming.

I don't think one fumble kills him this year, he had one already and he wasn't replaced by either of the other flavor of the month players that many claimed were better then Hillman. And Ball also has a fumble on the same number of touches.

If the production is there I think he can withstand one fumble but two fumbles in a game I think would be a problem.

I like Hillman tonight I like him better then Ball to be honest.

Tonight, I do too.

Hillman is 9 months younger but has 1 year more experience in the NFL then Ball. I was contrasting this situation with one where I think the established veteran would get the job back. Hillman is actually the veteran, barely, and he is playing better...so far (a couple fumbles probably changes everything).

Fumbles are the only thing that really have me worried about Hillman

Elway speaking on TNF pregame about hillman.."he's done a heck of a job standing in for montee". "We'll be getting montee back in two weeks".

Elway speaking on TNF pregame about hillman.."he's done a heck of a job standing in for montee". "We'll be getting montee back in two weeks".

Nice way to edit sound bites on Elway.....just watched the whole thing and rewinded it...Elway was heaping praise on Hillman, saying he adds a totally different dimension to their offense. It was the pointed out what a great job Hillman was doing on blitz pickup , which Elway quickly agreed with.He also said they hope to have Ball back in 2-3 weeks.....Don't you Ball owners know we watch the same pregame shows as you....

Nice way to edit sound bites on Elway.....just watched the whole thing and rewinded it...Elway was heaping praise on Hillman, saying he adds a totally different dimension to their offense. It was the pointed out what a great job Hillman was doing on blitz pickup , which Elway quickly agreed with.He also said they hope to have Ball back in 2-3 weeks.....Don't you Ball owners know we watch the same pregame shows as you....

He also mentioned CJ and Thompson...in other words, he made sure to mention all the Denver backs. I don't own any of them, but if I could roster one, it'd be Hillman at this point.

Love the way Hillman has looked so far, but I can't bring myself to start him over Bradshaw. I have a feeling I will be watching him blow up tonight on my bench.

Love the way Hillman has looked so far, but I can't bring myself to start him over Bradshaw. I have a feeling I will be watching him blow up tonight on my bench.

One of us will be happy

. I'm not editing anything. He wasn't 'heaping praise' but he did say that he adds a different dimension, so I guess that's heaping praise. TD mentioned a single blitz pickup, to which Elway agreed, I don't know if it was 'quickly' lol. Whatever, i didn't think the mention of every RB on the roster was important, so I only listed the parts that seemed pertinent to the hillman v ball debate, meaning the parts where he spoke about hillman and ball. Which I summarized accurately.

. I'm not editing anything. He wasn't 'heaping praise' but he did say that he adds a different dimension, so I guess that's heaping praise. TD mentioned a single blitz pickup, to which Elway agreed, I don't know if it was 'quickly' lol. Whatever, i didn't think the mention of every RB on the roster was important, so I only listed the parts that seemed pertinent to the hillman v ball debate, meaning the parts where he spoke about hillman and ball. Which I summarized accurately.

Not

Keep in mind, Elway is not going to throw Bell under the bus publicly.

Ball was dropped in a redraft league. I picked him up. What are the odds the starting job is Ball's when he gets back? Is that a lock?

how many hillman owners in poor health just stroked out, right now?

fantasy football can be a hazardous sport

Looking good. Hopefully hillman can get someone else in a great position again. Is cj active? Why not give him one?

That 37-yard run a few minutes was a play Montee Ball never could have made. I can't believe how good Hillman looks this year.