What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (2 Viewers)

Manning fell down on his goal line carry in the first quarter

He stepped out at the 3 on what should've been a TD reception

He had a long TD run called back

And he had 2 goal line TDs vultured because they handed it to the fullback instead

Nice game, but man this could've been a monster game.

Extremely encouraging though - he looks awesome and he's protected Manning well.

And he had 2 goal line TDs vultured because they handed it to the fullback instead

Extremely encouraging though - he looks awesome and he's protected Manning well.
Frustrating night. If he had gotten one of those short tds, all would have been forgotten.

Frustrating night. If he had gotten one of those short tds, all would have been forgotten.
Frustrating, but you gotta be happy with how good he looks. Couldn't be happier to have gotten him in both my big leagues.

That said, stupid Peyton still throwing the ball is keeping me from my 100 yard bonus...

Last edited by a moderator:

Frustrating, but you gotta be happy with how good he looks. Couldn't be happier to have gotten him in both my big leagues.

That said, stupid Peyton still throwing the ball is keeping me from my 100 yard bonus...
Agreed to all. Hillman continues to look good; three games now of solid work. He's a tad younger than Ball, is quicker and more fleet of foot, and has put on 15 lbs. compared to his rookie year, so he's stronger yet didn't sacrifice much by way of quickness.

I think Ball, if he can get healthy, will take over what we see going to Thompson plus maybe a bit more. But unless Hillman gets hurt or starts to fumble a lot, he should get the lion's share of work. He just looks too good and so does the entire Bronco offense.

As for the lost TDs tonight due to calls and vulturing: stinks but it happens. Hopefully doesn't cost too many owners their games.

Can't see how Ball gets the starting gig back after Hillman's performances. Just looks much better and the numbers speak for themselves. I can see him as the goal line guy though.

I have 18.8 points tonight from him. 10.9 for rushing, 2 for 100 yds, 3 for receptions, and 2.9 for rec yards. I would consider this an above average showing for any RB not named Forte or Murray.

As I mentioned above, I think this is close to his floor, which makes me very happy, especially considering his awesome he looks!

Rotoworld:

Ronnie Hillman - RB - Broncos

Ronnie Hillman rushed 20 times for 109 yards in the Broncos' Week 8 win over the Chargers, catching 3-of-4 targets for an additional 29 yards.

The 138 yards from scrimmage were Hillman's most in his three games as starter, but it's his amazingly-bad touchdown luck that will have owners talking on Friday. Hillman had five potential scores wiped away by happenstance and shenanigans. In no particular order, Hillman: Lost a touchdown by stepping out of bounds, had a score wiped out by holding, lost a shot at a goal-line carry thanks to a botched snap and watched Juwan Thompson vulture not one, but two TDs. The good news, if you want to look at it that way, is that Hillman was in position for so many touchdowns, and continues to run circles around the work Montee Ball did before going down with a groin injury. Ball will have a role when he returns, but it's getting harder to believe it won't be as Hillman's caddie.

Oct 23 - 11:56 PM

the only thing that can derail this train is if Fox subscribes to the "starters don't lose jobs to injury" philosophy. He's always had a multi-RB approach in Carolina, so I can't recall if he's been in a similar situation like this before.

Did Hillman look gimpy after his last carry?
He definitely looked like he got dinged up near the end-of-the-game...kid looked legit last night...real fast...his owners have to be very happy with what they saw...could be a real difference-maker going forward...I heard there is an APB out on CJ Anderson right now...

I thought so. He was walking funny and never went back in. I hope he's ok. I'm feeling better about him as an option moving forward regardless of Ball.

really appreciate Cecil and Bloom pimping CJ Anderson when Ball went down.
Come on, you know that all this stuff is a crap shoot, right? It would be pretty boring if everything was predictable. Just don't put any serious money down and enjoy it.

Good lord. I just thought I remembered somebody saying that Cecil gave his endorsment to Hillman when Ball went down. I don't listen to the audible anymore...just a lot of good sounding bad advice. It's actually a detriment because they get you to believe in fool's gold far too often.

They liked CJ, but the Broncos liked Hillman is pretty much what they said. Hillman has played great, but the shenanigans at the goal line last night are probably a big reason as to why they said it. And nobody had a clue that John Fox would suddenly start using a rookie RB at the goal line.

They liked CJ, but the Broncos liked Hillman is pretty much what they said. Hillman has played great, but the shenanigans at the goal line last night are probably a big reason as to why they said it. And nobody had a clue that John Fox would suddenly start using a rookie RB at the goal line.
Including the Chargers which is probably why they did it. Not sure they are going to be able to keep going to that FB dive play consistently going forward, it's just one more thing for defenses to think about and will open up things a bit more for other players in that situation.

On the plus side when Denver was in a one back alignment inside the 10 Hillman was that back.

I look at the TD situation like this:

Hillman's floor appears to be in the mid-high teens with no TDs - When he hits paydirt he gets you in the 20's... This is why I started this thread, 17-25 from your flex on a WW pickup is part of the FF Championship formula.

couldn't have been more wrong on him, he is a perfect fit for the Denver offense.
The Denver O line still doesn't zone block right. Leaks happen way to often, and too quickly, breaking up runs in the backfield before it develops.

Hillman is very elusive in tight space. There were several runs last night where Hillman made fast, decisive cuts to fit through some tiny gaps that Ball, Anderson, or JT haven't been able to do.

It's easier to go with the back that can mitigate your Oline weakness, rather than hope your Oline can dramatically improve mid season.

fantasycurse42 said:

Hillman's floor appears to be in the mid-high teens with no TDs - When he hits paydirt he gets you in the 20's... This is why I started this thread, 17-25 from your flex on a WW pickup is part of the FF Championship formula.
Well, not if he is just replacing your busted 1st/2nd round draft pick Montee Ball in which case he is taking you back to square one and hopefully helping salvage your season.

fantasycurse42 said:

Well, not if he is just replacing your busted 1st/2nd round draft pick Montee Ball in which case he is taking you back to square one and hopefully helping salvage your season.
If you are replacing Ball, after his first four games, you should be pretty happy with what you are now seeing. This is what you were hoping from with Ball.

fantasycurse42 said:

If you are replacing Ball, after his first four games, you should be pretty happy with what you are now seeing. This is what you were hoping from with Ball.
Absolutely agree. Now the hope is that Ball doesn't come back and #### everything up, which I consider to be a distinct possibility.

fantasycurse42 said:

Absolutely agree. Now the hope is that Ball doesn't come back and #### everything up, which I consider to be a distinct possibility.
I agree, but if he looks like he did previously, I think it won't take more than a week or two and he'll be in the backseat.

As of now, I can't see worse than a time-split when he comes back, and honestly that would be mildly surprising.

fantasycurse42 said:

I agree, but if he looks like he did previously, I think it won't take more than a week or two and he'll be in the backseat.

As of now, I can't see worse than a time-split when he comes back, and honestly that would be mildly surprising.
I think that it's getting to the point that if Hillman gets two more starts with Ball out [SIZE=14.2857141494751px](maybe he can do it with one) [/SIZE]and continues to play at this level the Broncos may declare him as the starter the rest of the way. Ball will still get a decent workload at that point but Hillman would be the primary, and crunchtime, back.

That is the best case scenario for Hillman owners. Unfortunately I think it is almost a lock that he will be vultured a ton around the goal line. He'll still get his but double digit TDs don't appear to be in his future.

Just traded away McCoy for AJ Green and Hillman in a 0.5 PPR.

After watching Hilman the last 3 weeks, he looks like a faster and more elusive version of Moreno last year. The way he finished his runs last night was impressive, grinding for 2-3 extra yards most of the time. If Hillman, heaven forbid, were to go down in the next week or so, you think they give all the workload to Juwan, or split it up Juwan/CJ? Reason I ask is that I think Ball won't be back for awhile

It's also worth noticing that Hillman appears to open things up for Demaryius Thomas. Since Hillman started getting significant touches, Thomas is averaging over 170 yards and over 1.5 TDs per game.

The defense simply can't key on Thomas's close to the LOS receptions with Hillman's receiving threat. When Thomas has any space at all after the catch, he's going to destroy the defense.
Hillman's insertion into the lineup also perfectly aligns with Thomas reportedly getting fully past his foot injury early this season. Mentioned on the broadcast last night...

Hillman looks very good. He literally looks like a different runner, more explosiveness, better leg drive and the ability to move the pile. Hillman deserves to be the starter, no doubt.

I think that it's getting to the point that if Hillman gets two more starts with Ball out [SIZE=14.28px](maybe he can do it with one) [/SIZE]and continues to play at this level the Broncos may declare him as the starter the rest of the way. Ball will still get a decent workload at that point but Hillman would be the primary, and crunchtime, back.

That is the best case scenario for Hillman owners. Unfortunately I think it is almost a lock that he will be vultured a ton around the goal line. He'll still get his but double digit TDs don't appear to be in his future.
I would say if Hillman keeps this up (which I have honestly been shocked by as I was burned by ol' Ronnie a whole, whole bunch in the past), then he's probably going to keep a big, big piece of the pie. This could easily pan out as Hillman is the back to get the lead (primary running and passing down guy) with Ball as the goalline vulture and kill-the-clock carries.

I still maintain this doesn't necessarily sort itself out before the offseason. And I maintain Ball is still a dynasty asset - I'd buy for peanuts right now if I didn't already own Ball. I believe he rushed it a bit in coming back from the appendectomy, and he's being slaughtered in here for being terrible, having no burst, no wiggle, etc. He looked like a pretty good back his rookie year - not saying a sure-fire top-5 stud regardless of situation, but a solid RB very capable of putting up points... say a 4.3-4.5 YPC guy who can do it all. No he's not Jamaal Charles or Shady McCoy, but few people are. He managed to play some snaps this season against the Texans in the third preseason game, and didn't play at all in the final game. He missed a ton of practice time all September. While he wasn't as good as his rookie year self, his first three games should really be considered his preseason in terms of synching with the line from a timing perspective, not to mention getting his body back in peak physical condition. Then he gets hurt.

Bottom line is that Hillman is playing FAR better than Ball was, and the Broncos aren't idiots. They'll probably call it "easing Ball back into action." Then they'll say, "We're in a good rhythym, everything is working, and we don't want to mess with anything right now." I still believe this ends up working out well in the long run for those of us who own both guys. Hillman enters the final year of his rookie deal in 2015, after which the Broncos will have a decision to make. They'll likely have a healthy, experienced Montee Ball ready to take the reins as a 3-down back, letting Hillman walk. By 2016 you could conceivably have two solid starting RBs as Hillman is young enough and certainly playing well enough right now to earn a nice second contract.

Hillman looks very good. He literally looks like a different runner, more explosiveness, better leg drive and the ability to move the pile. Hillman deserves to be the starter, no doubt.
Agreed - and I'd love to see a weight on him (not a listed weight, but someone actually see him step on the scale). He still doesn't look huge, but you don't need to be with that kind of juice. The biggest hesitation from me with Hillman before was that he was literally too small... no question about it, he was just little. There were reports his rookie year that he was down in the 170s by the end of the season and that the S&C staff was doing everything they could to keep weight on his frame.

If that's changed and he's a legit 195 at 5'9", I totally buy in to him as a feature back. He's clearly proving he is right now, regardless of what the weight is. I'm just curious if they finally found a way to keep it on him.

If that's changed and he's a legit 195 at 5'9", I totally buy in to him as a feature back. He's clearly proving he is right now, regardless of what the weight is. I'm just curious if they finally found a way to keep it on him.
He is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

Hillman looks notably stronger and bigger than last year, I was a moreno owner last year and watched every Denver game. I always remeber thinking that Hillman looked so tiny. He has beefed up and it is paying big dividends i think, extra strenght is alsoprobably helping him with fumbling issues.

Thing I love about Hillman when watching him, he's very decisive. Not only does he see the hole and just go, he has the tools and the quick acceleration to do so.

Main question that I have is......will Hillman be the guy NEXT year, if he indeed keeps the job for the rest of this year? Wonder what dynasty owners are doing with him......are they holding or are they selling high?

He is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

Hillman looks notably stronger and bigger than last year, I was a moreno owner last year and watched every Denver game. I always remeber thinking that Hillman looked so tiny. He has beefed up and it is paying big dividends i think, extra strenght is alsoprobably helping him with fumbling issues.
I know what he's listed as... Denard Robinson is listed at 6'0" 197 despite measuring 5'10" 199 at the combine and numerous reports this spring that he weighs 212+ now. Listed height/weight don't mean much in my book.

I didn't see him much last year. Watched him his first year and he looked TINY. This year he doesn't look that tiny anymore, but I still don't know if the 5'9" 195 is 100% legit.

Main question that I have is......will Hillman be the guy NEXT year, if he indeed keeps the job for the rest of this year? Wonder what dynasty owners are doing with him......are they holding or are they selling high?
Holding for the reasons I stated above. I own Ball as well... I think Manning plays another year, and I want a piece of a Peyton Manning backfield.

The Broncos MO under Manning has been to have a bellcow, and I don't really expect that to change. Hillman is clearly staking his claim for this year. For next year I'm not sure which guy wins out, but either one would be valuable IMO. And next year is the final year of Hillman's contract, and I think he's showing enough to get a solid second contract elsewhere if Denver feels prepared to move forward with Ball as the guy. Bear in mind Denver is already pushing some cap issues off a few years to win in the Peyton window, and will likely create even more when they sign DT and Julius this offseason. I doubt they'll have the finances to keep Hillman, but I could be wrong.

From RW:

The Denver Post believes the Broncos will be "hard pressed" to turn back to Montee Ball (groin) as their lead running back when healthy.
We don't think it's likely at all. Ronnie Hillman has given Denver's offense an entirely new dimension with big-play ability on outside runs, whereas Ball struggled mightily when he was asked to move laterally. Ball was effective in a change-of-pace role behind Knowshon Moreno down the stretch last season. That may be his role upon return. Although he is being pulled on goal-line runs, Hillman has a chance to provide borderline RB1 value the rest of the way.
Music to a Hillman owner's ears.

Why didnt anyone ever notice this greatness of Hillman before this little stretch? Maybe he is just the beneficiary of circumstance, at least that is what I believe. He is fast so I love that about him, but if he can continue to do it over the course of the year and Ball isnt a factor, I will buy. This is the same offense that made Moreno a star last year after rising from the dead.

Why didnt anyone ever notice this greatness of Hillman before this little stretch? Maybe he is just the beneficiary of circumstance, at least that is what I believe. He is fast so I love that about him, but if he can continue to do it over the course of the year and Ball isnt a factor, I will buy. This is the same offense that made Moreno a star last year after rising from the dead.
Well you have been spot on since your first post in this thread, so please let me know when you're buying... That way I can make my decision as well.

TIA.

He's always flashed potential but developed trust issues when he kept fumbling the ball. Perhaps his recent improvements in ball protection have given him the opportunity he needed.

Users who are viewing this thread