Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fantasycurse42

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB

If that's changed and he's a legit 195 at 5'9", I totally buy in to him as a feature back. He's clearly proving he is right now, regardless of what the weight is. I'm just curious if they finally found a way to keep it on him.

He is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

Hillman looks notably stronger and bigger than last year, I was a moreno owner last year and watched every Denver game. I always remeber thinking that Hillman looked so tiny. He has beefed up and it is paying big dividends i think, extra strenght is alsoprobably helping him with fumbling issues.

Thing I love about Hillman when watching him, he's very decisive. Not only does he see the hole and just go, he has the tools and the quick acceleration to do so.

Main question that I have is......will Hillman be the guy NEXT year, if he indeed keeps the job for the rest of this year? Wonder what dynasty owners are doing with him......are they holding or are they selling high?

If that's changed and he's a legit 195 at 5'9", I totally buy in to him as a feature back. He's clearly proving he is right now, regardless of what the weight is. I'm just curious if they finally found a way to keep it on him.

He is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

Hillman looks notably stronger and bigger than last year, I was a moreno owner last year and watched every Denver game. I always remeber thinking that Hillman looked so tiny. He has beefed up and it is paying big dividends i think, extra strenght is alsoprobably helping him with fumbling issues.

I know what he's listed as... Denard Robinson is listed at 6'0" 197 despite measuring 5'10" 199 at the combine and numerous reports this spring that he weighs 212+ now. Listed height/weight don't mean much in my book.

I didn't see him much last year. Watched him his first year and he looked TINY. This year he doesn't look that tiny anymore, but I still don't know if the 5'9" 195 is 100% legit.

Main question that I have is......will Hillman be the guy NEXT year, if he indeed keeps the job for the rest of this year? Wonder what dynasty owners are doing with him......are they holding or are they selling high?

Holding for the reasons I stated above. I own Ball as well... I think Manning plays another year, and I want a piece of a Peyton Manning backfield.

The Broncos MO under Manning has been to have a bellcow, and I don't really expect that to change. Hillman is clearly staking his claim for this year. For next year I'm not sure which guy wins out, but either one would be valuable IMO. And next year is the final year of Hillman's contract, and I think he's showing enough to get a solid second contract elsewhere if Denver feels prepared to move forward with Ball as the guy. Bear in mind Denver is already pushing some cap issues off a few years to win in the Peyton window, and will likely create even more when they sign DT and Julius this offseason. I doubt they'll have the finances to keep Hillman, but I could be wrong.

From RW:

The Denver Post believes the Broncos will be "hard pressed" to turn back to Montee Ball (groin) as their lead running back when healthy.

We don't think it's likely at all. Ronnie Hillman has given Denver's offense an entirely new dimension with big-play ability on outside runs, whereas Ball struggled mightily when he was asked to move laterally. Ball was effective in a change-of-pace role behind Knowshon Moreno down the stretch last season. That may be his role upon return. Although he is being pulled on goal-line runs, Hillman has a chance to provide borderline RB1 value the rest of the way.

Music to a Hillman owner's ears.

Why didnt anyone ever notice this greatness of Hillman before this little stretch? Maybe he is just the beneficiary of circumstance, at least that is what I believe. He is fast so I love that about him, but if he can continue to do it over the course of the year and Ball isnt a factor, I will buy. This is the same offense that made Moreno a star last year after rising from the dead.

Why didnt anyone ever notice this greatness of Hillman before this little stretch? Maybe he is just the beneficiary of circumstance, at least that is what I believe. He is fast so I love that about him, but if he can continue to do it over the course of the year and Ball isnt a factor, I will buy. This is the same offense that made Moreno a star last year after rising from the dead.

Well you have been spot on since your first post in this thread, so please let me know when you're buying... That way I can make my decision as well.

TIA.

He's always flashed potential but developed trust issues when he kept fumbling the ball. Perhaps his recent improvements in ball protection have given him the opportunity he needed.

traded Hillman and (2) 2015 first round picks for Josh Gordon (the missing piece for me).

They did.

It's all up and down this "Ronnie Hillman BANDWAGON" thread where posters do what they do here at the SP and call out talent early before most of the FF world is aware of it.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=647239&hl=hillman

For whatever reason, blocking, fumbles, not having the size he does now, Moreno, he just fell out of favor quickly and never got back to the opportunity... until now. But he was talked up here quite some time ago.

I don't want to steal thunder from the Audible, but Hillman needs his own thread. He's been pimped as the next Lesean McCoy. His upside with Peyton Manning there is off the charts. He's available as the RB42 right now. If he takes this job in camp, he's Top 20 easily. McGahee was old last year and he's even older now. Knowshon looks like a bust barring some serious Phoenix action. The job is there for the taking. Here is a great interview Footballguy's own Cecil Lammey had with Hillman if you are a subscriber.

Like I stated, I didn't start the bandwagon, but we need one and this is just a placeholder for Cecil.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12interview_ronniehillman.php

:no:

Ronnie Hillman (shoulder) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Hillman injured his shoulder in practice Tuesday. The Broncos declined to comment on the severity. Hillman's status will be updated again on Thursday.
Oct 29 - 3:32 PM

You ALWAYS sell high on Denver RBs. That's rule 46 or so in the dynasty handbook.

Hillman injured his shoulder in practice Tuesday. The Broncos declined to comment on the severity. Hillman's status will be updated again on Thursday.

Nobody's concerned about this?

Source: Troy Renck on Twitter

Don't own Hillman but i picked up Thompson just now just in case this is a bigger deal than i think it is.

Source: Troy Renck on Twitter

Don't own Hillman but i picked up Thompson just now just in case this is a bigger deal than i think it is.

Thinking about doing the same thing...Thompson could be a decent flex play bc he's a td vulture

I, for one, love having three Denver RBs on my roster.

Ronnie Hillman (shoulder) was limited in Wednesday's practice.Hillman injured his shoulder in practice Tuesday. The Broncos declined to comment on the severity. Hillman's status will be updated again on Thursday. Source: Troy Renck on TwitterOct 29 - 3:32 PM

Thinking about doing the same thing...Thompson could be a decent flex play bc he's a td vulture

Great just great.

It'd be much more concerning if it were a lower body injury obviously. I guess picking up Thompson just in case is a smart move though.

How do you hurt a shoulder in an early week practice under today's rules?

Hillman says no big deal per ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/68913/ronnie-hillman-says-hell-be-ready-to-face-patriots

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With Montee Ball having missed three games with a groin injury he suffered earlier this month, any injury to Ronnie Hillman would be an attention-grabber for the Denver Broncos. And Hillman was limited in Wednesday's practice with a shoulder injury he suffered during the workout. However, later Wednesday afternoon, Hillman said he expected to practice Thursday and remained on track to again be the team's lead option at running back Sunday against the New England Patriots in Gillette Stadium.

"I just landed on it funny, it'll be all right," Hillman said following Wednesday's practice.

Asked if he had any concern he wouldn't be able to play in the showdown with the Patriots, Hillman said:

"No, I'm not, I'll be at practice (Thursday). So, I mean, I plan on being at practice (Thursday). I don't know what they're talking about. But I'll be fine. It's nothing that I can't deal with."

Hillman has helped give the Broncos run game a boost over the last three games. The third-year running back has two 100-yard games in those last three outings and has averaged 4.9 yards per carry in the three starts.

Rookie Juwan Thompson, who briefly left the game against the Arizona Cardinals with a knee injury before he returned in the second half, has been the team's No. 2 back since Ball's injury.

Thompson has missed some practice time since the injury, but has played in the last three games and leads the team in rushing touchdowns with three.

"(The Patriots) are clicking," Hillman said. "It's going to be interesting to see what happens when we get out there … but we know we have to be on our game, no mistakes."

Hillman seems fine for this week. It certainly raises legit questions on how long he can stay healthy getting that big a role, but as long as he is good to go, it's a solid start with big upside from there.

Hillman seems fine for this week. It certainly raises legit questions on how long he can stay healthy getting that big a role, but as long as he is good to go, it's a solid start with big upside from there.

Bumping a shoulder in practice and not missing anything raises legit questions?

I think his size is probably the biggest concern. I don't think it is unreasonable to question whether he can handle a full RB#1 load for most of the season.

Personally my biggest concern is that a shoulder injury, even a slight one that will allow him to play, could negatively impact his ball security.

Either way he is an auto-start in all formats until something bad happens.

I think his size is probably the biggest concern. I don't think it is unreasonable to question whether he can handle a full RB#1 load for most of the season.

Personally my biggest concern is that a shoulder injury, even a slight one that will allow him to play, could negatively impact his ball security.

Sure, question it. But because of THIS???

I think it is a question, not because of this but simply because of he seemed to have a slight frame, to be fair it looks like he has packed on a few pounds for this season.

I think it is a question, not because of this but simply because of he seemed to have a slight frame, to be fair it looks like he has packed on a few pounds for this season.

They said during a recent game he was up something like 12-15 pounds over last year.

Limited in practice again today.

Juwan?

Good insurance policy if you have room on your bench and your waivers closes in half an hour.

Limited in practice again today.

Juwan?

Good insurance policy if you have room on your bench and your waivers closes in half an hour.

Thanks for this thread--I just snagged him...again. Did some deep research a few weeks ago and picked Juwan up based on local media pumping him up as the future in that backfield--they're really high on him. Hillman kept producing enough to keep him on the bench though, so he never had a chance to show until maybe now.

http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/10/08/juwan-thompson-primed-for-acclaim/

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/10/15/juwan-thompson-starting-rb-denver/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26805312/broncos-rb-juwan-thompson-brings-heady-physical-approach

I dunno, as I stated above, he is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

I think he is quite capable based on th 3 games he has started this year and other RBs like him.

I dunno, as I stated above, he is listed at 5'10", 195 now. For reference, Jamaal Charles is 5'11" - 199, and McCoy is 5'11" and 208.

I think he is quite capable based on th 3 games he has started this year and other RBs like him.

I understand your point and said that I thought he looks bigger this year but I put little stock in listed heights and weights.

I understand your point and said that I thought he looks bigger this year but I put little stock in listed heights and weights.

I think Sigmund Bloom also talked about his increased weight from his rookie year and compared him in both size and style to Tiki Barber...another "small" back who was able to overcome ball security issues to become a very good player.

Ronnie Hillman (shoulder) returned to a full practice Friday and is listed as probable for Week 9.

Ronnie Hillman (shoulder) returned to a full practice Friday and is listed as probable for Week 9.

Hillman should be locked into fantasy lineups against a Patriots defense that's been particularly soft versus the run since losing ILB Jerod Mayo to I.R.

Rotoworld:

In last year's regular season meeting between the Broncos and Patriots, Knowshon Moreno and Montee Ball combined for 44 rushing attempts, 264 yards, and a touchdown in a 34-31 New England victory.

Bill Belichick essentially conceded the run in the Patriots' win, consistently dropping 6-7 defenders into coverage and forcing Peyton Manning to throw into tighter windows in adverse weather conditions. Like last year's Week 12 meeting, Sunday's rematch is expected to involve high winds and rain. Further improving Ronnie Hillman's fantasy outlook is New England's 322 yards on 60 carries (5.37 YPC) allowed to opposing running backs since ILB Jerod Mayo went on I.R. two weeks ago. Read more stats and analysis like this in Evan Silva's Week 9 Fantasy Football Matchups column, accessible at the link below.

Source: Silva's Week 9 Matchups

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/49656/179/silvas-week-9-matchups

Ball update. Running back Montee Ball will miss his fourth consecutive game Sunday because of a strained groin, but there is a chance he will return to practice next week on a limited basis.

"We'll see," Ball said. "I listen to our trainers. I'll be back soon, though. I'm feeling a lot better."