What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (3 Viewers)

Did you guys even watch the game? NE took an early lead and never looked back. Denver abandoned the run. If anything this games showcased hilmans pass catching abilities akin to Moreno last year. Locked in top 10 RB IMo
I watched every snap of the game and I was simply pointing out that Hillman lost touches at the end. He didn't look great with the carries he received, but I'm not standing on a ledge or anything. I think he'll be fine going forward, just thought it was worth discussing/pointing out. However, that being said, Top 10 is a bit optimistic IMO.

Door just opened up for Ball to get burn when he comes back. Hillman couldn't run today on a soft NE run D. If not for the passing component of his game, would've been a dud. He'll likely keep a role upon Ball's return but this damaged his standing possibly in the eyes of the coaching staff.
The door has been closed for Ball, he (Ball) would of gotten half the yards Hillman got today. The coaching staff is in love with the speed, and ability to play three downs by Hillman.
Then why wasn't Hillman the lead back to start the season? Why did the staff go with Ball? What's changed about Hillman since the start of the season? The only difference is Ball isn't around. Sometimes a coaching staff can be myopic and/or stubborn. Are you so sure that they won't go to Ball again to some extent? Blown pass protection is a MORTAL SIN when it comes to watching Peyton's back.

Mistakes can totally change a coaching staff's loyalties, especially if they're not completely on board with someone, which they might not be with Hillman judging by the fact he didn't start the season as lead back. Look at Cleveland; Crowell looked great and a couple fumbles later can't sniff the field. Tate looked great and now barely totes the ball. No one's saying Hillman will be totally backburnered for Ball but to say with certainty that Ball is now totally irrelevant is probably a Hillman owner's closing their eyes to the complete picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Door just opened up for Ball to get burn when he comes back. Hillman couldn't run today on a soft NE run D. If not for the passing component of his game, would've been a dud. He'll likely keep a role upon Ball's return but this damaged his standing possibly in the eyes of the coaching staff.
The door has been closed for Ball, he (Ball) would of gotten half the yards Hillman got today. The coaching staff is in love with the speed, and ability to play three downs by Hillman.
Then why wasn't Hillman the lead back to start the season? Why did the staff go with Ball? What's changed about Hillman since the start of the season? The only difference is Ball isn't around. Sometimes coaching staff can be myopic and/or stubborn. Are you so sure that they won't go to Ball again to some extent? Blown pass protection is a MORTAL SIN when it comes to watching Peyton's back.
What's changed?

I don't know the stats, but I'd imagine Ronnie Hillman has been a Top 5 fantasy RB since he got the start. Of course the coaches don't think about fantasy, but they sure look at stats and Hillman is absolutely destroying Ball's output.

I imagine Ball will have some kind of role but the coaches aren't stupid, they see what everyone else sees.

Signed,

Someone who thought Ball was worth a 1st round pick this year

Threads like this get to be an eyesore when people argue as if they know something. Nobody knows for certain how open the door is for Ball. Wait and see.

Then why wasn't Hillman the lead back to start the season? Why did the staff go with Ball? What's changed about Hillman since the start of the season? The only difference is Ball isn't around. Sometimes coaching staff can be myopic and/or stubborn. Are you so sure that they won't go to Ball again to some extent? Blown pass protection is a MORTAL SIN when it comes to watching Peyton's back.
What's changed?

I don't know the stats, but I'd imagine Ronnie Hillman has been a Top 5 fantasy RB since he got the start. Of course the coaches don't think about fantasy, but they sure look at stats and Hillman is absolutely destroying Ball's output.
RL coaches don't give a hoot about fantasy football. I didn't say Hillman just got himself benched. I am saying that the door might have cracked a bit more for the RB that opened the season as the starter to come back to some sort of role in the backfield.

Did you guys even watch the game? NE took an early lead and never looked back. Denver abandoned the run. If anything this games showcased hilmans pass catching abilities akin to Moreno last year. Locked in top 10 RB IMo
I watched every snap of the game and I was simply pointing out that Hillman lost touches at the end. He didn't look great with the carries he received, but I'm not standing on a ledge or anything. I think he'll be fine going forward, just thought it was worth discussing/pointing out. However, that being said, Top 10 is a bit optimistic IMO.
I disagree on his carries, he actually always seemed to find a small crease even if there was nothing there. If you have watched Ball, he probably would have had even worse rushing stats. His two touchdowns were were strong plays, not walkins. If he missed a lot blocks that is a big issue, but he a had nice game. Not sure how strong the Bronco's run blocking is with Manning throwing 50 times a game.

What's changed?

RL coaches don't give a hoot about fantasy football. I didn't say Hillman just got himself benched. I am saying that the door might have cracked a bit more for the RB that opened the season as the starter to come back to some sort of role in the backfield.
So do you normally just read the 1st sentences of people's posts?

From Mark Wimer Yesterday:

RB Ronnie Hillman - DEN - Hillman suffered an ankle injury during the game on Sunday, and eventually went on to miss the fourth quarter during the game. It is unclear if he tweaked the ankle again or if he was pulled because the game got out of hand for the Broncos on Sunday night. Hillman will be evaluated further on Monday.

Any updates? Then no news is good news!

Wreckincrew said:

RB Ronnie Hillman - DEN - Hillman suffered an ankle injury during the game on Sunday, and eventually went on to miss the fourth quarter during the game. It is unclear if he tweaked the ankle again or if he was pulled because the game got out of hand for the Broncos on Sunday night. Hillman will be evaluated further on Monday.

The good news for now is Ball isn't due back this week apparently and Thompson hasn't flashed anything to make it look like he'd eat into Hillman's reps as long as Hillman's health isn't an issue.

Wreckincrew said:

The good news for now is Ball isn't due back this week apparently and Thompson hasn't flashed anything to make it look like he'd eat into Hillman's reps as long as Hillman's health isn't an issue.
CJ anderson got some garbage time draws plays vs NE

But yeah no Thompson vs NE at all was puzzling

Wreckincrew said:

Do you think CJ passed up Thompson or was this just due to the game being out of reach?

Do you think CJ passed up Thompson or was this just due to the game being out of reach?
If I had to guess it's probably a function of how the game was going rather than a permanent move up the pecking order.

Perhaps CJ, compared to Thompson, is the better blocker and receiver out of the backfield and coaches knew they would be passing nearly every down in garbage time. Also, IIRC Thompson has typically been used at the goal line and for running between the tackles, particularly when the Broncos are ahead and trying to eat clock. Seems to indicate that's where they see his skillset fitting in best and the situation didn't call for him.

There is no point in anyone arguing Hillman, Ball, or CJ... It is a huge waste of time - this will be an awful guessing game that few will accurately guess on a week to week basis.

There is no point in anyone arguing Hillman, Ball, or CJ... It is a huge waste of time - this will be an awful guessing game that few will accurately guess on a week to week basis.
Yup. Those in this thread last week who said Hillman's last game, which was poor, would cost him dearly were right. You can't run poorly and you can't blow coverage. Now this situation is a mess.

Yup. Those in this thread last week who said Hillman's last game, which was poor, would cost him dearly were right. You can't run poorly and you can't blow coverage. Now this situation is a mess.
Agreed. And I feel that the door is wide open now for Montee Ball to recapture his feature back role. We've heard the practice praise this week... my guess is he starts next week.

Agreed. And I feel that the door is wide open now for Montee Ball to recapture his feature back role. We've heard the practice praise this week... my guess is he starts next week.
It doesn't matter who starts. After Hillman played great, one mediocre game and he is an afterthought. I feel like this will be their formula and my hope is it bites them in the ###.

Thompson isn't 100% heathy. He's had a knee injury the past month or so. I noticed they started giving CJ some snaps after the injury. Thompson is an outstanding blocker/receiver & a very underrated runner. I believe if Thompson wasn't dinged he'd be getting the touches. It might be a game situation type thing, but I believe it's the knee issue. I could see them staying with CJ for now as long as he stays hot, though.

I used to be fairly high on CJ, but while he flashes, I'm leery of him ever being good enough to be a starting RB. Longterm, out of all their current RBs, I like Thompson the best. Thompson is one of the top deep stashes in FF, IMO. I think he'll surprise if he gets a chance. Being a rookie & with the knee, he might have to wait until next season to get a serious look.

Anderson is and has been the best RB in Denver for some time now...
Broncos will do what they have done now for years.. Manning just throws TD's all day during the season & wonder why lose in the playoffs..

While it'll be damn near impossible to trust Hillman next week, I'd think it's a reasonable assumption that Hillman's ankle/foot injury played a role in his usage, as did the fact that he seemed to aggravate it early on.

Doesn't change the fact that Anderson did well with his touches, but Hillman still brings an explosiveness to the offense that no one else does.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Well it'd be a lot better if Peyton would've completed that one to Hillman for the TD. They're leaving Anderson in there even after he got dinged earlier while the the starters are out, so who knows

They just said hillman was held put for precautionary reasons. The door is definitely open. Its up tp ball to take it.

Well it'd be a lot better if Peyton would've completed that one to Hillman for the TD. They're leaving Anderson in there even after he got dinged earlier while the the starters are out, so who knows
It was hilarious that Hillman got off the ground making hand gestures to show up Manning. The ball was delivered at Hillman's feet and he got up like sarcastically reaching towards his feet like "How am I supposed to catch that""

Dealt Hillman and a LB, when I was offered Davante Adams and Frank Gore.

Didn't want to deal with the Denver RB headaches, and I have a ton of RB depth without Hillman.

Maybe the other guy will get the best part of this deal, but Gore is helping me in the short run, and I am excited about Adam's future.

If Adams develops like people think he might, he could be a handful.

Hillman is just another piece in the Denver RB puzzle (that's their system). Hillman need the right situation to produce.

Can't people realize that?

Rotoworld:

Ronnie Hillman was declared done for the day in the fourth quarter of Sunday's Week 10 game against the Raiders after battling a foot injury.

With C.J. Anderson showing a "hotter hand," the Broncos rode Anderson while Hillman was limited to 13 yards on six carries and nine yards on two receptions. Peyton Manning had Hillman wide open for an easy first-quarter receiving touchdown, but missed him with an ugly duck. A quarter later, Manning checked down to Anderson, who house called the short pass for a 51-yard score. So it was a frustrating day for Hillman's fantasy owners. Juwan Thompson remains involved, albeit lightly, and Montee Ball (groin) is on his way back. Hillman's start-ability could quickly become murky in fantasy leagues. He'll be a risky RB2/flex play in Week 11 at St. Louis.

Nov 9 - 6:55 PM

Following Sunday's win at Oakland, Ronnie Hillman was spotted limping in the locker room due to his sprained ankle.

The Broncos officially reported no injuries after the game. But something is definitely up with Hillman, who dinged his ankle against the Pats in Week 9 and was working with trainers behind the bench in the second quarter Sunday. He eventually took a seat for the day as a "precaution", netting a meager two second-half carries. Even if Hillman turns out to be OK, his grip on feature back duties has loosened greatly over the last two weeks. He was atrocious in pass protection at New England and OC Adam Gase openly complained about run-game effectiveness. Against Oakland, Hillman got outplayed by C.J. Anderson and Montee Ball (groin) is due back Week 11. We'd still expect Hillman to start against the Rams, but his leash will be short.

Oh well that was fun. I'm convinced if healthy he would have had a great game against Oakland too.
Are you kidding? Only the Mighty CJ Anderson could have had such a stellar performance against the stout and stalwart Oakland Raiders defense.

ONLY CJ!!!

Told you guys a month ago (game against the NYJ) he didn't look special - and drew a bunch of criticism for it. And here we are and we all see he's not special.

:banned:

Users who are viewing this thread