What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (2 Viewers)

The Audible podcast has been pimping CJ for a while as the backup in case Ball goes down. Against my better judgment, I picked up CJ over Hillman in multiple leagues, based off their advice.

I'll ride this out but suffice to say that I'll file this away as a major blunder and red mark on future analysis if Hillman, who was the obvious choice as handcuff based on usage, turns out to be the guy who steps in and has a great season. If it turns out to be Anderson, it'll be a big feather in their cap, IMO.

It sounds like CJ doesnt play special teams. So the fact they backed up ball with Hillman this week tells me they were concerned with pass pro against a decent ARZ defense.... and it tells me the coaches like hillman better than anderson in pass pro. As other have stated the coaches have called hillman a COP back... So going forward i'd imagine you'd see a lot of CJ on 1st and 2nd downs with hillman spelling him on 3rd downs or 2 min offense. my best guess
This makes sense to me.
What does pass protection have to do with playing special teams?

I'm more concerned they came out of the bye and sat CJ - usually teams make adjustments over the bye. If I'm correct Hillman was inactive for the first 3 games?
Actually I didn't notice the bit about pass protection, I just was thinking about the comment that Anderson could be an early down role and Hillman the 3rd down receiving role. I don't know if anyone here has any solid opinion on Anderson's pass protection capabilities.

I did check though and the last time this happened in Nov. 2012 when McGahee went out, in that game Hillman got 12 carries and Lance Ball got 6. FF owners then went crazy picking up Hillman.

The next game Moreno, who had been inactive the game before, got nearly all the work, and a lot of it, 24 touches, and Hillman got a handful.
very interesting.... and a nice find. people who insured ball with anderson are hoping something similar plays out

look even if Hillman is "the guy" you still pickup Anderson if you can. Everything is completely up in the air and the way the team uses these guys I don't know that they know what to expect going forward. Hillman has had his chances in the past only to fumble them away. Situation is completetly fluid IMO.

If Ball was seen as the lead guy, Hillman a true COP back, and Thompson as a special teamer it would be an exact parallel to 2012 and the door could still be open for Anderson.

If Anderson was inactive yesterday for any other reason Hillman's probably the guy.

I am leaning towards dropping ball.
if its a grade 3 (6-8 week timetable) then i don't blame you... even if he got back he wouldnt just come right back taking 70% of the touches again
What really sucks is I have a high ww number and both cj and hillman are available. I would hate to burn it on either one with such uncertainty. I am fairly sure cj is the guy unless we find out something about his deactivation yesterday that tells us he's out of the picture for hillman.plus, I think I may be able to get cj after the ww process thus keeping my spot. Tough spot for sure

None of them....its going to be the Manning tossing the rock 40+ times a game

When you can pass like the Broncos... running the ball is for the birds

if its a grade 3 (6-8 week timetable) then i don't blame you... even if he got back he wouldnt just come right back taking 70% of the touches again
What really sucks is I have a high ww number and both cj and hillman are available.
I'm number 1, Oliver is also available...

Oliver is only the lead guy until Mathews gets back, I assume he takes his spot back and Oliver loses value after week 7 or 8.

Hillman or Anderson can be an all season lotto ticket. You can only get one :kicksrock:

None of them....its going to be the Manning tossing the rock 40+ times a game

When you can pass like the Broncos... running the ball is for the birds
Perhaps then Hillman being the better pass catching RB would have more value? That's the consensus right, Hillman is the better pass catcher?

What really sucks is I have a high ww number and both cj and hillman are available.
I'm number 1, Oliver is also available...

Oliver is only the lead guy until Mathews gets back, I assume he takes his spot back and Oliver loses value after week 7 or 8.

Hillman or Anderson can be an all season lotto ticket. You can only get one :kicksrock:
Take oliver.

Hope that cj slips through the cracks

So much convulsion in this thread, it's like "The Ending of the movie 'Clue'" meets "The Ending Of 'Inception': text version"......

Let's just get to real ending and I really don't give a damn if the top is still spinning....

Wondering if people get paid to just put misinformation on this board, or they're still amateur status......

Last edited by a moderator:
The Audible podcast has been pimping CJ for a while as the backup in case Ball goes down. Against my better judgment, I picked up CJ over Hillman in multiple leagues, based off their advice.

I'll ride this out but suffice to say that I'll file this away as a major blunder and red mark on future analysis if Hillman, who was the obvious choice as handcuff based on usage, turns out to be the guy who steps in and has a great season. If it turns out to be Anderson, it'll be a big feather in their cap, IMO.
Ditto.

the Audible has been way off on the Denver situation before. last year the recommended dropping Knowshon Moreno to pick up CJ Anderson after week one which was ridiculous at the time and caused me to stop listening on how ridiculous it was. their track record on Denver backs is slanted toward CJ Anderson for some reason

Ditto.
one of those guys or maybe it was Harstad was huge on Hillman pre camp last year.

Anyway I think Hillman is the guy to own, but we will see, could be more of a committee.

I thought folks might be interested in this update from Mr. Lammey's blog:

http://bleacherrepor...-feature-rb-job

Montee Ball Injury Opens Door for Ronnie Hillman to Take Broncos' Feature RB JobThe Denver Broncos have been talking about achieving more balance between the passing game and the ground game this season. All those notions seemed to be thrown out the window in their Week 5 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

Denver won in convincing fashion 41-20, knocking the Cardinals from the ranks of the undefeated—and they did it for most of the game without Montee Ball.

In the third quarter, Ball was knocked from the game with a groin injury. Ball had to be helped to the sideline by trainers, and he did not return to the game.

Vic Lombardi, from CBS4 in Denver, saw Ball with crutches after the game.

Dr. Jene Bramel, from Footballguys.com, emailed me his insight about Ball’s injury.

While it's still too soon to know with certainty, Ball's groin injury looked to be significant. Ball was unable to get off the field without assistance and left the locker room on crutches. That often means a mid-grade strain (or worse) and a multi-week recovery. Ball will have an MRI tomorrow to determine the severity of his injury and determine how long he'll need to rehab. 2-4 weeks is probably the best case scenario for Ball, with a longer absence possible.

Ball’s injury opened the door for third-year back Ronnie Hillman to do more, and he responded with 15 carries for 64 yards on Sunday. Hillman was the lead back for the Broncos after Ball’s injury, and he could be the lead back going forward if Ball is out for an extended period of time.

After the game, Broncos head coach John Fox praised Hillman’s performance: “I thought Ronnie [Hillman] showed some bursts and explosions at time in the game. As I mentioned before, this is Game 4, we’re a work in progress. We just completed the first quarter of the season.”

Hillman was selected in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft. The Broncos moved up 20 spots in a trade with the Cleveland Browns to snare the scatback from San Diego State. The idea at the time was to get Hillman involved as a change-of-pace back behind then starter Willis McGahee—and there was a chance that Hillman could prove to be more than a part-time player.

Nothing like that came to fruition with Hillman, and he’s been largely a disappointment during his time in the pros.

In 2012, Hillman was mainly a backup for McGahee. When McGahee was lost for the year due to a knee injury, the Broncos activated Knowshon Moreno for the first time in eight weeks to be the starter for the rest of the season.

In total, Hillman rushed for 84 times for 327 yards and one rushing touchdown. He also caught 10 passes for 62 yards as a rookie. Hillman had 15 explosive plays (12 yards or more) on the year, more than guys like LeSean McCoy or Jamaal Charles had in their rookie season.

Entering the 2013 season, Hillman was the lead back for the team during the entire offseason. Moreno was recovering from yet another knee injury (suffered in the playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens), and Ball was a rookie who was not ready for a larger role. When the first training camp depth chart was released, Hillman was at the top.

That’s when it all went downhill.

During the 2013 preseason, Hillman fumbled three times—with two of them being returned for touchdowns. He lost his hold on the starting job, and Hillman began the season splitting time with Ball as the backup behind Moreno. A fumble near the end zone against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 7 put Hillman in the coach’s doghouse, and he was inactive for all but three games after that.

Hillman’s second-year production slipped, and his confidence seemed to slip as well. He totaled only 55 carries for 218 yards and one rushing touchdown. Hillman also caught 12 passes for 119 yards.

Entering the 2014 season, Hillman was considered the third-string back behind Ball and C.J. Anderson. He was inactive for the Week 1 game against the Colts after a mysterious illness struck him after the fourth preseason game. He didn’t receive any touches until the Week 3 contest on the road against the Seattle Seahawks.

Hillman talked after the game against the Cardinals, commenting on how he was a different player than he was a season ago. “I’m just a little bit more experienced. It’s my third year, and I’m able to do a lot more, a lot faster. Just take the opportunity that you get.”

The offense took some time to get the running game going, but Hillman likes what they were able to accomplish over the course of the contest.

“It’s a good start. We’ve still got a lot of improvement. You want to score every time you get the ball. The odds of that happening are very slim. We’ve still got a lot of improvements to make and we’re going to go into the office tomorrow, look at the tape and get better for next week because we’ve got a big test next week.”

If Ball is out about a month, can the team trust Hillman? Will the fumble problems rear their ugly head once again? Can he finally start to play up to his potential as a feature back?

Those questions will be the biggest ones the team faces—if Hillman is the starter. While Ball is out, Hillman has a chance to be the lead back. However, he could be on a short leash if any problems arise. Talented backups like C.J. Anderson or Juwan Thompson could be competing for a larger role as well.

The Broncos are a passing team first, and they could abandon balance to be the pass-happy team they were last year. There’s even more incentive to do that now that the running back position is a question mark.

All this talk doesn't matter unless one of these RBs can block for Manning. Most important quality is that Manning stays upright and has a clean jersey at the end of the game.

All this talk doesn't matter unless one of these RBs can block for Manning. Most important quality is that Manning stays upright and has a clean jersey at the end of the game.
This is one of the reasons I picked up Thompson. He knows how to pass protect. It's something that was taught and a priority in the spread offense at Duke under Cutcliffe, who just so happens to be a mentor to Manning.

Ditto.
Did you only listen in picking up CJ so you could start a thread to complain about it later if it doesn't pan out?

Ditto.
Did you only listen in picking up CJ so you could start a thread to complain about it later if it doesn't pan out?
Oh good, the Feelings Police have arrived to save the day.

Montee Ball Injury Opens Door for Ronnie Hillman to Take Broncos' Feature RB Job

The Denver Broncos have been talking about achieving more balance between the passing game and the ground game this season. All those notions seemed to be thrown out the window in their Week 5 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

Denver won in convincing fashion 41-20, knocking the Cardinals from the ranks of the undefeated—and they did it for most of the game without Montee Ball.

In the third quarter, Ball was knocked from the game with a groin injury. Ball had to be helped to the sideline by trainers, and he did not return to the game.

Dr. Jene Bramel, from Footballguys.com, emailed me his insight about Ball’s injury.

While it's still too soon to know with certainty, Ball's groin injury looked to be significant. Ball was unable to get off the field without assistance and left the locker room on crutches. That often means a mid-grade strain (or worse) and a multi-week recovery. Ball will have an MRI tomorrow to determine the severity of his injury and determine how long he'll need to rehab. 2-4 weeks is probably the best case scenario for Ball, with a longer absence possible.

Ball’s injury opened the door for third-year back Ronnie Hillman to do more, and he responded with 15 carries for 64 yards on Sunday. Hillman was the lead back for the Broncos after Ball’s injury, and he could be the lead back going forward if Ball is out for an extended period of time.

After the game, Broncos head coach John Fox praised Hillman’s performance: “I thought Ronnie [Hillman] showed some bursts and explosions at time in the game. As I mentioned before, this is Game 4, we’re a work in progress. We just completed the first quarter of the season.”

Hillman was selected in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft. The Broncos moved up 20 spots in a trade with the Cleveland Browns to snare the scatback from San Diego State. The idea at the time was to get Hillman involved as a change-of-pace back behind then starter Willis McGahee—and there was a chance that Hillman could prove to be more than a part-time player.

Nothing like that came to fruition with Hillman, and he’s been largely a disappointment during his time in the pros.

In 2012, Hillman was mainly a backup for McGahee. When McGahee was lost for the year due to a knee injury, the Broncos activated Knowshon Moreno for the first time in eight weeks to be the starter for the rest of the season.

In total, Hillman rushed for 84 times for 327 yards and one rushing touchdown. He also caught 10 passes for 62 yards as a rookie. Hillman had 15 explosive plays (12 yards or more) on the year, more than guys like LeSean McCoy or Jamaal Charles had in their rookie season.

Entering the 2013 season, Hillman was the lead back for the team during the entire offseason. Moreno was recovering from yet another knee injury (suffered in the playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens), and Ball was a rookie who was not ready for a larger role. When the first training camp depth chart was released, Hillman was at the top.

During the 2013 preseason, Hillman fumbled three times—with two of them being returned for touchdowns. He lost his hold on the starting job, and Hillman began the season splitting time with Ball as the backup behind Moreno. A fumble near the end zone against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 7 put Hillman in the coach’s doghouse, and he was inactive for all but three games after that.

Hillman’s second-year production slipped, and his confidence seemed to slip as well. He totaled only 55 carries for 218 yards and one rushing touchdown. Hillman also caught 12 passes for 119 yards.

Entering the 2014 season, Hillman was considered the third-string back behind Ball and C.J. Anderson. He was inactive for the Week 1 game against the Colts after a mysterious illness struck him after the fourth preseason game. He didn’t receive any touches until the Week 3 contest on the road against the Seattle Seahawks.

Hillman talked after the game against the Cardinals, commenting on how he was a different player than he was a season ago. “I’m just a little bit more experienced. It’s my third year, and I’m able to do a lot more, a lot faster. Just take the opportunity that you get.”

The offense took some time to get the running game going, but Hillman likes what they were able to accomplish over the course of the contest.

“It’s a good start. We’ve still got a lot of improvement. You want to score every time you get the ball. The odds of that happening are very slim. We’ve still got a lot of improvements to make and we’re going to go into the office tomorrow, look at the tape and get better for next week because we’ve got a big test next week.”

If Ball is out about a month, can the team trust Hillman? Will the fumble problems rear their ugly head once again? Can he finally start to play up to his potential as a feature back?

Those questions will be the biggest ones the team faces—if Hillman is the starter. While Ball is out, Hillman has a chance to be the lead back. However, he could be on a short leash if any problems arise. Talented backups like C.J. Anderson or Juwan Thompson could be competing for a larger role as well.

The Broncos are a passing team first, and they could abandon balance to be the pass-happy team they were last year. There’s even more incentive to do that now that the running back position is a question mark.
If cecil is back on hillman being the guy than it must be cj anderson

Montee Ball Injury Opens Door for Ronnie Hillman to Take Broncos' Feature RB Job

The Denver Broncos have been talking about achieving more balance between the passing game and the ground game this season. All those notions seemed to be thrown out the window in their Week 5 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

If cecil is back on hillman being the guy than it must be cj anderson
I love how the first mention of CJ is in the final paragraph, despite recommending him for months. I thought Lammey was supposed to be a Broncos insider? Got excited on Latimer too....ppppfffft.

In last week's Top 200 Forward/PPR RBs, CJ Anderson was ranked #65 and Hillman #94. Who dropped that ball (no pun intended)?

Sounds like a 6-8 week thing. He's dropped.
The Denver Post reports Montee Ball's groin injury may only cost him two weeks.
Does anyone have an actual link to the Post?

This is what it says now:

However, Ball is expected to be sidelined several weeks, according to two NFL sources. Ball underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday.
Just a little while ago it said this:

Broncos running back Montee Ball will not require surgery to repair the strained groin he suffered during a non-contact play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

However, Ball is expected to be sidelined a couple weeks, according to two NFL sources. Ball underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26674157/broncos-montee-ball-expected-miss-two-weeks-groin

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Dynasty Walkers said:
oddsbodkins said:
Sounds like a 6-8 week thing. He's dropped.
The Denver Post reports Montee Ball's groin injury may only cost him two weeks.
Does anyone have an actual link to the Post?

This is what it says now:

However, Ball is expected to be sidelined several weeks, according to two NFL sources. Ball underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday.
Just a little while ago it said this:

Broncos running back Montee Ball will not require surgery to repair the strained groin he suffered during a non-contact play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

However, Ball is expected to be sidelined a couple weeks, according to two NFL sources. Ball underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26674157/broncos-montee-ball-expected-miss-two-weeks-groin
espn beat guy jeff legwold

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 44m44 minutes ago
#Broncos HC John Fox said Montee Ball has "groin strain.'' Ball not expected to practice this week and could miss as many as 3 weeks.

I thought ball would miss more time.with only two to three games versus tough opponents, it may not be worth it to burn a waiver spot on either of these guys

I thought ball would miss more time.with only two to three games versus tough opponents, it may not be worth it to burn a waiver spot on either of these guys
Do you trust the report right now though? It seems to early to trust any reports, especially with a groin injury. That's what ended my football career and let me tell you, the groin area is ####### complex and even with MRIs/CT/Xray/ultrasound/etc. it's very difficult for very good doctors to diagnose.

It isn't imo. I'm going to deactivate him first chance i get and grab hillman/anderson.

Everything I'm seeing is converging to the "2/3 week" timeframe.

It isn't imo. I'm going to deactivate him first chance i get and grab hillman/anderson.

Everything I'm seeing is converging to the "2/3 week" timeframe.
You have to ask yourself if you are picking them up to start them or just in hopes they keep the job...I don't think I would start hillman or Anderson this week. Also don't think either is good enough to run away with the job

You know who isn't running away from anything? Montee "2014 Trent" Ball.
oh dont get me wrong. Ball is nothing special but hes a great pass blocker and thats the most important thing for the broncos. Ronnie hillman sucks and i dont think they trust him. Anderson is intriguing only cuz hes not hillman but honestly i think ball is better than him too. Ball impressed me last year. Hesot as good as moreno but hes better than those two. Thats just my opinion though.

With the amount of mis-information that has been flying around the NFL this year ( e.g. Charles "high ankle sprain" ) and news outlets ready to report anything just to have the edge on the competition and the eagerness of we who play FF to take anything and go the the nth factorial with it, I take everything with a grain henceforth.....

Whoever you make an attempt for (Hillman or CJ), I think the consensus is drop Ball. Not going to be healthy for awhile and good chance he doesn't get the job back if whoever replaces him is more effective/better blocker.

Whoever you make an attempt for (Hillman or CJ), I think the consensus is drop Ball. Not going to be healthy for awhile and good chance he doesn't get the job back if whoever replaces him is more effective/better blocker.
What consensus? If he was out for 8 weeks then drop him. It could be 2 weeks. He's a hold

lol no

Would much rather gamble on CJ/Juwon. Hillman is what he is, a change of pace RB, that's his role. His past history has shown it, his GM has said it, his size fits it, etc.

Chalk Hillman in for 8-10 touches a game with the rest going to the other guys.

Do you trust the report right now though? It seems to early to trust any reports, especially with a groin injury. That's what ended my football career and let me tell you, the groin area is ####### complex and even with MRIs/CT/Xray/ultrasound/etc. it's very difficult for very good doctors to diagnose.
Your groin ended your football career? I didn't know you have a complex groin much less a football career. Good to know.

Would much rather gamble on CJ/Juwon. Hillman is what he is, a change of pace RB, that's his role. His past history has shown it, his GM has said it, his size fits it, etc.

Chalk Hillman in for 8-10 touches a game with the rest going to the other guys.
Has Anderson seen much action so far? Never hear of the Juwon guy, does he seriously have a shot?

It's only taken me 15 years but I've realized the "experts" don't know anymore than the rest of us. They are just here to help support your already pre-existing opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread