What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (1 Viewer)

It's ridiculous IMO for people to say they want no part in this or that they are avoiding this situation. It's a lottery ticket type situation that may not pay off - but I would rather sit here with Anderson or Hillman on my bench than guys with limited upside like Storm Johnson, Cunningham, Reaves, Hurns ....and the list goes on.

If Anderson never gets a start for me - that's the same number of times I would start one of those guys.
What about having to drop players like Taliaferro, Crowell or even Vereen?
I'm not sure I understand the mentality of valuing Taliaferro, Crowell and Vereen over Anderson.

Anderson is the only one of those four who actually has a chance of earning a starting job. The other 3 guys are clear backups who will only become starters due to injury.

Either way, they're all lottery picks.
Vereen is not a backup and is clearly the best rb talked about here

It's ridiculous IMO for people to say they want no part in this or that they are avoiding this situation. It's a lottery ticket type situation that may not pay off - but I would rather sit here with Anderson or Hillman on my bench than guys with limited upside like Storm Johnson, Cunningham, Reaves, Hurns ....and the list goes on.

If Anderson never gets a start for me - that's the same number of times I would start one of those guys.
What about having to drop players like Taliaferro, Crowell or even Vereen?
I'm not sure I understand the mentality of valuing Taliaferro, Crowell and Vereen over Anderson.

Anderson is the only one of those four who actually has a chance of earning a starting job. The other 3 guys are clear backups who will only become starters due to injury.

Either way, they're all lottery picks.
Vereen has started 1 out of 5 games and has not had more than 9 carries in a single game

If you want to talk about Vereen's value as a pass catcher, that's fine. But that doesn't make him an NFL starter. And it barely makes him a fantasy starter (#41 in non-PPR, #29 in PPR).

Vereen is far more than a mere backup
If that's the way you see it then you keep him! In my league's scoring he is #34 and only rarely worth putting on the field. So rarely in fact that he's not on a roster (limited). Ridley is the one to own there at 1.5ppg higher--but even he is no more than a matchup/bye week play.

People tend to forget that player fantasy value is really just a matter of your league parameters, and a minor tweak might make a major difference. Historically in our leagues we remember when the Denver RB was really valuable, and though the NE RB's have been every week plays some seasons by and large they are not consistent scoring with that team's style of play. Given that both NE and Denver are QB centric you could say the same thing about both, but as a Carolina fan I know how Fox values his RB's and if one of them gets the load that's where I'm looking for my fantasy scoring potential.

Full disclosure--Montee Ball hasn't been more than a match play either this season, though he's rostered in my league. Both backups are still on the wire.

while we all are likely watching this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I said is that Vereen is not a starter, and that's a fact. He's a backup who gets more playing time than most backups. And there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you value. Lots of backup RBs are startable in fantasy football.

But Vereen isn't going to become a bellcow unless there's an injury to Ridley (and even then he could get stuck in RBBC thanks to Belichick).

If you're looking for a guy who you can count on to get 7 points every week, get Vereen. If you're looking for a guy who has a legitimate chance of getting 20 carries, get Anderson.

All the reports from the team said Hillman was sick. But let's run with the conspiracy theory because that's more fun.
I'm normally not one who puts much stock in rumors and innuendo, but I think there's a decent chance this one has some legs to it. Apparently Ronnie Hillman looked plenty healthy the week leading up to the game against Indy, so I'm skeptical that his stint on the inactive roster had anything to do with any lingering health concerns. I think the "Ronnie Hillman and Kayvon Webster did something they weren't supposed to in Dallas, had to go to the hospital because of it, and were demoted early in the season as a punishment" story fits pretty well with the facts on the field.

Either way, the simple truth is that Ronnie Hillman got to rest on week 4 of the preseason while C.J. Anderson had to play. Whether Hillman missed week 1 and was glued to the bench in week 2 because he was being punished or because he was feeling the lingering effects of whatever put him in the hospital, Hillman was pretty clearly ahead of Anderson on the depth chart before that, and he's pretty clearly been back ahead of Anderson on the depth chart since, outsnapping Anderson 14-3 against Seattle and playing well against Arizona while Anderson was inactive. If I had to bet on a Denver back in the short term, that'd be my bet. At least for now. We've seen Hillman blow opportunities plenty of times before this. I have very little faith that this time will finally be the time he makes the most of his chance.

If I were placing a bet on what happens long term? I know everyone is eager to push him out the door, but I think it's going to be Ball's job again whenever he gets healthy. Sort of like Ben Tate in Cleveland, or Rashad Jennings in New York, or Knowshon Moreno in Miami, (or Knowshon Moreno last year in Denver). Everyone is eager to push those boring incumbents out the door for the next big thing, but NFL teams keep going back to them for a reason. Who knows if Denver will get its running game sorted out enough for the lead back to have any fantasy value, (I think they will, but they certainly haven't so far), but if any back is fantasy relevant over the final 6-8 weeks of the season, I think it's going to be Ball.
I think the job is Ball's, but, unlike those other guys, Ball has been pretty underwhelming. The other factor is that Groins can be tricky. Maybe he misses 2 week, maybe he misses 8...I recall a lingering groin issue keeping Fed Taylor out for most of a season when he wasn't expected to be out that long.....

Hillman's size is an issue. Even when complimenting him, Gase referred to his size. I think CJs pass blocking may be an issue - they don't ask him to do it much, Juwan is a good blocker, but he's very green. They'll go with the vet, but they will sprinkle the other guys a bunch....

Leonidas said:
glumpy said:
Leonidas said:
need2know said:
If that's the way you see it then you keep him!
I don't own him in a single league.

But if I did I would keep him as he is far more than a mere backup.
45th in PPG in my league. It's tough to imagine a league where he is a RB#2 let alone a RB#1

First drive:

+ Hillman got carry

- Went down easy for no gain

Advantage Anderson or Thompson and they weren't on the field

Hillman three straight carries

10 yds

2yds

0 yds

The key to the 10 is he bounced it outside.

All carries within an arms' reach of the DE's has been for nada.

Hillman with a big run up the middle - negated by penalty

Thought it was funnier that he took himself out of the game. I wouldn;t open the door to anybody.

Number 40 went in when Hillman went out

Hillman with a decent run in a third and long

Don't see the humor in the remark about making a change. 7 carries under 2 yds is tough to support

Cecil covered all his bases - Millman gets the start but his insiders say Anderson - and this morning he remarks that Thompson to be more involved

i think its crazy that the broncos to this point in this season have never showed as much commitment to the run as they are today

12-52...4.3 and two goal line carries. 1-5 on 2 targets. Has gotten pushed around a few times in pass pro, but he's made the right reads and held up just fine.

Not sure what others are watching, but he's played well. Running hard, finding daylight and taking what's there without dancing.

Halftime:

Hillman 12 rushes for 52 yards (4.3 ypa), 1 rec for 5 yards

Thompson 2 rushes for 8 yards

CJ Anderson 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-00000000000000000000000000000000

I think we can close the book on the CJ Anderson talk.

Halftime:

Hillman 12 rushes for 52 yards (4.3 ypa), 1 rec for 5 yards

Thompson 2 rushes for 8 yards

CJ Anderson 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-00000000000000000000000000000000

I think we can close the book on the CJ Anderson talk.
BUT...BUT...CECIL SAID "INSIDERS"!!!

Gotta get outside and do some work - hopefully they have him on the bench when I get back
You have an obvious axe to grind against Hillman. He's look relatively good today. Better than Ball has at any point this season.
Yeah, an axe to grind - are you serious

I have watched almost every carry and he has more for less than 3 than he has for over 3

Hillman fumbles. Shocking.

They got it back but the dude puts it on the ground all the time. Will be interesting to see if they use Thompson exclusively now or if Anderson also gets some run.

Yds by carry for Hillman

8 of them for 3 yrds or less

4 for over 4 yards (including a 12, 10, 11) and a fumble

against primarily 4 man fronts

not good

do you guys understand football?

Yds by carry for Hillman

8 of them for 3 yrds or less

4 for over 4 yards (including a 12, 10, 11) and a fumble

against primarily 4 man fronts

not good

do you guys understand football?
That's a solid distribution actually. All positive, grinding out yards then finding daylight where he can.

Now, the argument could be made that he should do more with the 6 man boxes he's seeing, but taken on its own, decent group of runs.

Actually rooting for Hillman right now - so I can get Thompson off the wire on the cheap

Users who are viewing this thread