What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Taylor Gabriel? (1 Viewer)

Fireinside

Footballguy
This small wr (5' 8" and 167 lbs) from Cleveland has 81 yards and 95 yards in his last two games?

I picked him up in dynasty league few weeks ago just in case one of Browns receivers would do something and here I am with a player who is playing quite well. I know he's fast, but that's about it. I plan to watch his film later this week, to make better judgement, but at the moment all I know he could be someone who could be very well worth stashing in deeper leagues?

I didn't notice him do anything til the Titans seemed to forget about him and he was open deep

I'm surprised how literally everyone is sleeping on him. I remember reading reports last month about how coaches were quietly high on him, and he's put two nice games together in a row. I snagged him in a few leagues tonight and am hoping he continues on the upswing.

He looked good in pre-season, no matter who the QB was at the time. He runs good routes and has good hands. From what I've seen, he always finds a way to get open. CLE brought in some good UDFA WRs after the draft and Gabriel has outplayed all of them to make the final roster. He's now getting his chance on the field and not disappointing with limited opportunities. I think he's a great Dynasty buy as he could be a solid #2 opposite Gordon in a year or so.

Just picked him up in my dynasty. My only concern (like all other WRs his size), is that he may be too small for a consistent role. He's smaller than DeSean even, and we've all seen how he gets decked every season. But I had room on my bench and figure him as just a "why not?" kinda add, especially seeing as he's rapidly gaining momentum. Miles is old and injury-prone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked him up in my dynasty. My only concern (like all other WRs his size), is that he may be too small for a consistent role. He's smaller than DeSean even, and we've all seen how he gets decked every season. But I had room on my bench and figure him as just a "why not?" kinda add, especially seeing as he's rapidly gaining momentum. Miles is old and injury-prone.
The big concern for dynasty is Manzier not being able to even seen where Gabriel is. a 6' QB (if that) and a 5-8" WR doesn't sound like a good combo.

The big concern for dynasty is Manzier not being able to even seen where Gabriel is. a 6' QB (if that) and a 5-8" WR doesn't sound like a good combo.
Manziel is a mobile Qb (not even a good one on my standards), so he won't be throwing from the pocket anyway!

How would a 6' or even a 6'3" WR be any easier for Manziel to see under your premise?

If his vision was blocked, wouldn't it generally be blocked by a 6'4"+ defensive lineman likely raising his arms in the air who is much closer to him than his WR target is?

(Rotoworld)Browns WR Taylor Gabriel secured 5-of-6 targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 9 win over Tampa Bay.Analysis: The impressive undrafted rookie got behind Lovie Smith's defense for a 34-yard touchdown bomb. Through eight games, diminutive Gabriel is on pace for 42 receptions, 808 yards, and a pair of scores. He's averaging 19.2 yards per catch. Although Gabriel's fantasy value is minimal or nonexistent, he's definitely given the Browns a lot of big plays in spots. He's been a great find by GM Ray Farmer out of Abilene Christian.
Seems to do well again. Remember folks, he's still a rookie, so there is a learning curve. If he can keep up the pace, he might be someone you can reconsider in every format.

How would a 6' or even a 6'3" WR be any easier for Manziel to see under your premise?

If his vision was blocked, wouldn't it generally be blocked by a 6'4"+ defensive lineman likely raising his arms in the air who is much closer to him than his WR target is?
Yeah. Let me rephrase. Manzier is not a good fit at NFL QB.

(Rotoworld)Browns WR Taylor Gabriel secured 5-of-6 targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 9 win over Tampa Bay.Analysis: The impressive undrafted rookie got behind Lovie Smith's defense for a 34-yard touchdown bomb. Through eight games, diminutive Gabriel is on pace for 42 receptions, 808 yards, and a pair of scores. He's averaging 19.2 yards per catch. Although Gabriel's fantasy value is minimal or nonexistent, he's definitely given the Browns a lot of big plays in spots. He's been a great find by GM Ray Farmer out of Abilene Christian.
Seems to do well again. Remember folks, he's still a rookie, so there is a learning curve. If he can keep up the pace, he might be someone you can reconsider in every format.
how did Tavon Austin and some unknown pull off the parent-trap switcheroo?

I'm probably on my own here, but I'm going to take a chance on Gabriel even if Hawkins does suit up tonight. He's a home run hitter when he gets the ball, and he should get some opportunties tonight.

From the week 10 waiver wire thread, Kool Aid Larry dropped this nugget from PFF:

Cleveland Browns: Taylor Gabriel, who went undrafted, has a Yards Per Route Run of 2.26, which is the second highest rate among rookie wide receivers.

I'm surprised how literally everyone is sleeping on him. I remember reading reports last month about how coaches were quietly high on him, and he's put two nice games together in a row. I snagged him in a few leagues tonight and am hoping he continues on the upswing.
'literally" everyone? Like not one person on this earth owns him?

No, he means that everyone on earth is now sleeping on a mattress and Gabriel is getting suffocated underneath them.

No, he means that everyone on earth is now sleeping on a mattress and Gabriel is getting suffocated underneath them.
Hahahhaa yes I guess that would have been the more proper "literal" meaning of that

You realize that my post you quoted was from a month ago, right?

No need for me to say anything else, but: "Check this guy out!"

Again 5 catches, 92 yards and yes they are totally excited about this guy in Cleveland

I thin Gabriel may see more open field now that Gordon can come back and stretch it. BUY / HOLD

Isaiah Crowell started as the first team running back, Terrance West also seeing some reps with the first team as well. Duke Johnson was absent at all OTA’s due to travel inconvenience in Houston. Much like last season’s OTA’s, Taylor Gabriel is turning heads early and making it really tough on coaches to be overlooked.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Dawg-Pound-Journal-Taylor-Gabriel-training-to-take-next-step-as-big-play-WR/cd057099-c3b5-4afd-951d-f2970230baca

Ourlads have Gabriel ahead of Hartline for right wide receiver and let's face it, Dwayne Bowe ain't no Gordon.

I think this kid has a chance to show that he's worth something more than a back up.

i read something last week, i think, that indicated he looked noticeably stronger, fit than last year. he probably knows that he needs to bulk up to compete with anyone covering him as well as survive the rigors of a full season at his size.

i read something last week, i think, that indicated he looked noticeably stronger, fit than last year. he probably knows that he needs to bulk up to compete with anyone covering him as well as survive the rigors of a full season at his size.
I got rock solid insider info on him over a month ago from a 100% reliable source. I need to be very light with the specifics but Gabriel played with an injury or ailment last year that was so painful and debilitating he considered quitting. Team docs were not able to diagnose or properly treat the issue. Early this off-season he sought out his own medical treatment and was ecstatic with the results, saying he was pain free and could not believe the difference. In light of what I know I found it surprising he was effective as he was last year.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports Taylor Gabriel has been the Browns' best receiver at OTAs.

"Very consistent," said Caplan of Gabriel. He posted a 38-633-1 receiving line as an undrafted rookie last season on 71 targets. A whopping 29.6 percent of his targets were 20-plus yards downfield, and Gabriel had an impressive 38.1 percent catch rate on such passes. Gabriel should have the upper hand on the Browns' deep-threat role behind plodding veterans Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Jun 12 - 12:43 PM

Steve Doerschuk ‏@sdoerschukREP Jun 16

Josh McCown hadn't realized Taylor Gabriel could be this good. "Gabe is so fast … and he's so strong."
Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 43m43 minutes ago

I'm fascinated by the detail that Gabriel has been matched up w Haden a lot in OTAs, has locker next to him & they've become "close friends"
Brent Sobleski ‏@brentsobleski Jun 18

Mentioned yesterday about Taylor Gabriel impressing as "best WR on Browns." Momentum continues to build: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/3-ways-WR-Taylor-Gabriel-has-positioned-himself-for-expanded-role-in-2015/f083da6e-dd9e-4ff0-ac93-61c4364776b6 …
Steve Doerschuk ‏@sdoerschukREP Jun 18

Pettine on Taylor Gabriel: "Ask the defensive guys who is tough to cover. He usually comes up in the first two names."

Solid bump lol. Just sucks he can't fetch more targets. Guess a target cap is bound to happen though when you playing alongside Julio.

For those that didn't see the game:  Taylor Gabriel Highlights

I read somewhere that the Falcons made a decision to use him more as a regular WR this week instead of just a deep threat.  This kid is explosive.  I don't see how they won't use him as much or more every week.

I show him 5th on the depth chart in Atlanta.  Is that right?  After this week he's gotta be considered the 3 after Julio and Sanu, no matter the chart.  For Dynasty guys, could he eventually take the 2 spot in the future?  I haven't watched too much of this guy.  What are his flaws?  How's his route running?  Hands, etc?

I haven't watched too much of this guy.  What are his flaws?  How's his route running?  Hands, etc?
For one thing, he's kinda short to be a stormtrooper, to borrow a phrase. 5ft 8in, less than 170 lbs. Also didn't score high enough in SAT/ACTs to qualify for a Div 1 scholarship, which landed him at Abilene Christian instead of schools that gave him offers like Nebraska, TCU, and SMU.

Went undrafted despite a 4.27 40 score and impressing some scouts at the combine. UDFA for the Browns until last year when ATL picked him off waivers.

What Gabriel does well -- was much better known for his ST work as he can be dangerous in space, and shows some of that this year with his YAC ability. He can change directions at full speed and he tracks the ball well. He runs crisp routes, fast off the snap, and times his vertical jumps well (which a guy of his size needs to do).  

What Gabriel doesn't do as well -- he's more quick than fast despite his 40 time -- he isn't going to simply blow the top off a defense -- and as an undersized receiver he can be taken down easily. Not sure how well he is able to fight through press coverage.

In Cleveland we'd hear every offseason that he was the toughest guy to cover in camp. Then when the season started he would barely get snaps until injuries/suspensions forced them to use him more.

He's little (not just short) and his hands are OK at best. But complimenting Julio for a competent QB with an OC that knows what to do with him, he's getting a real chance to shine.

For one thing, he's kinda short to be a stormtrooper, to borrow a phrase. 5ft 8in, less than 170 lbs. Also didn't score high enough in SAT/ACTs to qualify for a Div 1 scholarship, which landed him at Abilene Christian instead of schools that gave him offers like Nebraska, TCU, and SMU.

Went undrafted despite a 4.27 40 score and impressing some scouts at the combine. UDFA for the Browns until last year when ATL picked him off waivers.

What Gabriel does well -- was much better known for his ST work as he can be dangerous in space, and shows some of that this year with his YAC ability. He can change directions at full speed and he tracks the ball well. He runs crisp routes, fast off the snap, and times his vertical jumps well (which a guy of his size needs to do).  

What Gabriel doesn't do as well -- he's more quick than fast despite his 40 time -- he isn't going to simply blow the top off a defense -- and as an undersized receiver he can be taken down easily. Not sure how well he is able to fight through press coverage.
Good stuff.  Thanks.

I'll be watching the next few weeks with interest.  Short WRs have more of a chance these days with contact rules for defenses and they way offenses are run.  I pay attention to small guys more than I did in the past.

Good stuff.  Thanks.

I'll be watching the next few weeks with interest.  Short WRs have more of a chance these days with contact rules for defenses and they way offenses are run.  I pay attention to small guys more than I did in the past.
That's pretty astute, actually -- rules these days negates height, but only to an extent. But the game and the way it is being played today definitely gives guys like Gabriel a shot they didn't have before -- until now, imagine all anyone ever thought of Gabriel's contribution to a team was strictly in a ST/PR/KR capacity. He's proven to be much, much more versatile. 

That's pretty astute, actually -- rules these days negates height, but only to an extent. But the game and the way it is being played today definitely gives guys like Gabriel a shot they didn't have before -- until now, imagine all anyone ever thought of Gabriel's contribution to a team was strictly in a ST/PR/KR capacity. He's proven to be much, much more versatile. 
And it never hurts to have the best WR in the league gobble up double coverages opposite you all the time either. 

Anyone considering playing him this week ? I'm low on options. TD rate in past 5 weeks isn't sustainable but with other weapons on the field he seems to find space to make big plays 

Anyone considering playing him this week ? I'm low on options. TD rate in past 5 weeks isn't sustainable but with other weapons on the field he seems to find space to make big plays 
Hard to predict. He did almost score a TD vs KC. He was down at about the GL, maybe a review situation, and the play was called back for a hold. A loser team like the Rams could be a good matchup in that a short play can turn into a big one on a lazy effort or blown assignment.

Hard to predict. He did almost score a TD vs KC. He was down at about the GL, maybe a review situation, and the play was called back for a hold. A loser team like the Rams could be a good matchup in that a short play can turn into a big one on a lazy effort or blown assignment.
I'm talking myself into it. Id be starting Beckham/T Hill and Gabriel in flex. There's some pretty massive ceiling across those three. Risky strategy but both Gabriel and Hill had 'down' weeks at the weekend. Maybe one of them has a big one this coming weekend. 

Julio Jones hurt, are we anticipating an uptick in targets even though TG does not line up or do much of anything like JJ but you have to assume a target increase, yes/no?

Man, I hadn't even looked this guy's info up. I completely forgot about him being on the Browns. As a Panthers fan, thanks for screwing that one up Browns. We've got a guy like that (Damiere Byrd, 4.28 at pro-day on grass). Looked awesome in preseason, made the 53 and now on practice squad. I can't for the life of me figure out why we can't make room for him. He returned one kick off in preseason, longer than any kick return we've had in the past few year. Any wonder why we're 4-8 this year.

Man, I hadn't even looked this guy's info up. I completely forgot about him being on the Browns.
I only remember because of my brother and I posted some info about it in this thread over a year ago, he was a deep sleeper of mine last season due to my "insider info" and it never panned out with the Browns, I guess because they are the Browns. What my info was at the time is my brother is his chiropractor and was treating a foot issue he dealt with in 2014 season which Gabriel said dogged him all year. Report I got was his foot was so much better he was excited about 2015 season and even asked my brother if he could fly him to Cleveland game weeks to treat his foot. Because, and again this is puts Browns in bad light, he said he foot was misdiagnosed by Browns staff and he did not feel right until he started seeing my brother. That was all during off-season leading up to 2015 season.

Then he was actually worse in 2015 so I thought his problems are bigger than his feet and I forgot about him.

I still find him hard to trust as someone I would want to put in my lineup but on a somewhat related note I think he hurts Tevin Colemans value. A lot of those screen passes they were dialing up for Coleman earlier and doing a great job of getting him in space they are now doing with Gabriel instead and with great success.

I only remember because of my brother and I posted some info about it in this thread over a year ago, he was a deep sleeper of mine last season due to my "insider info" and it never panned out with the Browns, I guess because they are the Browns. What my info was at the time is my brother is his chiropractor and was treating a foot issue he dealt with in 2014 season which Gabriel said dogged him all year. Report I got was his foot was so much better he was excited about 2015 season and even asked my brother if he could fly him to Cleveland game weeks to treat his foot. Because, and again this is puts Browns in bad light, he said he foot was misdiagnosed by Browns staff and he did not feel right until he started seeing my brother. That was all during off-season leading up to 2015 season.

Then he was actually worse in 2015 so I thought his problems are bigger than his feet and I forgot about him.

I still find him hard to trust as someone I would want to put in my lineup but on a somewhat related note I think he hurts Tevin Colemans value. A lot of those screen passes they were dialing up for Coleman earlier and doing a great job of getting him in space they are now doing with Gabriel instead and with great success.
Lol. Interesting and yes, the Browns aren't very good at much. Remember the staff infection issues. 

I would have to start him over Steve Smith and Allen Robinson, right now Smith is in my lineup.  I can't figure out if he has more value with or without Julio playing.

Who is Taylor Gabriel? Perhaps the #1 receiver for Atlanta this week...

J. Jones D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweeted Friday that he is not anticipating Julio Jones (toe, questionable) will play in Week 14 against the Rams. This is just a beat writer guess, but reinforces that Julio is no lock to be active against the Rams after he did little to nothing during the practice week. Officially, Jones was listed as "DNP" all three days. Coach Dan Quinn said Friday that he "anticipates" Julio playing, but that may be mere coachspeak. If Julio is indeed active, he will be a boom-bust WR1. It's a very tough situation in the fantasy playoffs because Falcons-Rams doesn't kick off until 4:25 PM ET.

Mohamed Sanu Mohamed Sanu (groin) is out for Week 14 against the Rams. Sanu didn't practice all week and never had much chance of playing against the Rams. With Julio Jones (turf toe) a game-time decision, Taylor Gabriel should be in line for his biggest workload of the season.

I'm considering putting him in at flex over my underachieving players/players with bad matchups (Diggs, J. Matthews, L. Miller and Brandon Marshall). I've lost my last 2 games and backed into the playoffs putting in guys with bigger names but bad situations.  Time to swing for the fences.  Without getting too much into subscriber content, Bloom recently boosted him up to low WR1 status in my scoring system for this week.   

How do we know we won't just see Hardy or Robinson get more snaps? Last week Robinson had about the same number of offensive snaps as Gabriel. Gabriel's snap counts had been up before.

Users who are viewing this thread