What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merged Spygate thread (1 Viewer)

Whoa

Man, if the Patriots really were cheating, how dumb would they be to get caught cheating trying to beat the Bengals!?

A source tells me a Bengals employee was watching the videographer/cameraman who identified himself as a Robert Kraft employee. The Bengals employee kept an eye on that  monitor, the shot was of the Bengals coaches and staff on the sidelines for the entire 1st quarter.

the Bengals employee flagged media relations. Bengals security then interviewed the Kraft videographer. This was also taped. The cameraman asked if they could just delete the footage and it all be forgotten per sources

Sources say there was a guy interviewing a Patriots pro scout before the game but that was over when the game started.

Now that more info's coming out, seems like a non-story. They had okay'd the video guy with the Browns already for a documentary on the scout, but the Bengals didn't know that. He was being filmed himself, not filming the sideline, and the Bengals and NFL now have those tapes to confirm or not. Weird story but it seems like nothing. 

Now that more info's coming out, seems like a non-story. They had okay'd the video guy with the Browns already for a documentary on the scout, but the Bengals didn't know that. He was being filmed himself, not filming the sideline, and the Bengals and NFL now have those tapes to confirm or not. Weird story but it seems like nothing. 
Good lord, I would think it's nothing.  We're talking about the darn Bengals here, not Baltimore.

That’s not the full story according to the Bengals. Read the tweet thread in my link above. That’s what the Patriots claimed, but the Bengals claim that the interview was over before the game started but that the Patriots filmed the Bengals sideline for the entire first quarter until Bengals employees intervened. The Patriots then asked to delete their footage but the Bengals demanded to see it and that it be kept while getting the NFL involved.

The tape exists. There is no question it exists. So it’s just a matter of the NFL reviewing and we should all know fairly shortly who is telling the truth.

That’s not the full story according to the Bengals. Read the tweet thread in my link above. That’s what the Patriots claimed, but the Bengals claim that the interview was over before the game started but that the Patriots filmed the Bengals sideline for the entire first quarter until Bengals employees intervened. The Patriots then asked to delete their footage but the Bengals demanded to see it and that it be kept while getting the NFL involved.

The tape exists. There is no question it exists. So it’s just a matter of the NFL reviewing and we should all know fairly shortly who is telling the truth.
Interesting, just read that twitter thread. 

It is important to note that Russini is reporting that this is what she's being told...the Bengals are not directly saying this as your first sentence implies. 

It seems like her source is clearly the Bengals employee who brought this to the leagues attention. And that person has a reason to not seem like they jumped to conclusions right now. Who knows. Like you said, we'll know soon. Interesting that the Bengals said they won't release the footage.

Unless somebody gets to stomping in the NFL offices, of course. They'd never *gasp* do that, would they?  

The more the news breaks on this, the less one can expect to see me around here, I think. 

Oof. I cannot emotionally handle another Patriots cheating accusation with all the Patriot homers in my life and on the boards. Breaks are imminent. 

I believe they did it in '00. I believe every damn concocted story about it. I believe the NFL destroyed tapes. I think there's documentation saying they did. WTF? Blessed are the credulous, I guess.  

The more the news breaks on this, the less one can expect to see me around here, I think. 

Oof. I cannot emotionally handle another Patriots cheating accusation with all the Patriot homers in my life and on the boards. Breaks are imminent. 

I believe they did it in '00. I believe every damn concocted story about it. I believe the NFL destroyed tapes. I think there's documentation saying they did. WTF? Blessed are the credulous, I guess.  

Are there people who still say they didn't do it? I thought the big excuse was "everyone was doing it but the Patriots kept pushing it after being warned because if you aren't after every competitive advantage, you aren't trying" or some sort of backhanded homer reasoning that's actually a compliment like that.

Well if it were true it would certainly be a new low. Low as in Bengals.
The Patriots can't be that stupid.  Why would they need to do that to beat the Bengals?  That is why this has to be nothing.   I'm sorry, but I'm siding with the Patriots on this unless there is evidence on the tapes that prove otherwise.  No one is that damn stupid.

The Patriots can't be that stupid.  Why would they need to do that to beat the Bengals?  That is why this has to be nothing.   I'm sorry, but I'm siding with the Patriots on this unless there is evidence on the tapes that prove otherwise.  No one is that damn stupid.
They tape EVERYONE.....its what they do. 

Dumb enough to film every team instead of just the good ones?
SOP. Plausibility of misinterpretation of the rules, as Dr. Dan sent along in his link. 

"Hey, this was SOP for us Everybody does it, don't they?"

"Well, then we misinterpreted the rules. Sorry."

They tape EVERYONE.....its what they do. 
Think about this logically.  Why would the Patriots tape the frigging Bengals?  Unless there is evidence on the tapes this is a nothing burger. I'm amazed at the mob mentality of the human race.  Now if there is something on the tapes, give me a ptich fork and a torch.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the worst possible alibi in the history of alibis.
The mob gathers and are foaming out the mouth....they get louder and louder with every minute.....KILL, KILL, KILL.  

Edited:  You guys know how much I hate the Patriots, but come on, withhold judgement until the tapes are reviewed.  Damn internet....

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.  I'm gonna withhold judgement for now.

But the NFL won't be burning the videos this time if they're real.  I'm not even sure what the other owners can legally do if they caught them cheating a third time, but it'll be big.  And public.  And humiliating.

Maybe this is naivete here but do we really think they got caught doing the exact same thing 19 years later, in the same manner, as if teams aren't on the lookout? 

Seems like some dumb ### marketing/production employees working on something else entirely outside football operations who probably were in middle school the last time this happened. 

Or, they're the biggest morons in football history, which is not a label I'd think to give the Belichick Patriots. 

The mob gathers and are foaming out the mouth....they get louder and louder with every minute.....KILL, KILL, KILL.  
Not really. Everybody wants to like their sports most compelling draw. It becomes harder when they've gained competitive advantage by cheating in direct contradiction to league rules. 

It's not a mob yet, it's what happens when justice (not in the vengeance death sense, but pure and adequate justice) is not handed down in accordance with the transgression in the first place...but here's the thing about mob justice. When institutions break down and there is a microcosm or situation that demands retribution according to people's natural sense of justice, a mob is sometimes the only thing. 

I mean, it's really the stickiest question of political philosophy, isn't it?  

Maybe this is naivete here but do we really think they got caught doing the exact same thing 19 years later, in the same manner, as if teams aren't on the lookout? 

Seems like some ####### marketing/production employees working on something else entirely outside football operations who probably were in middle school the last time this happened. 

Or, they're the biggest morons in football history, which is not a label I'd think to give the Belichick Patriots
Or they just figure they can away with it. If you've ever really listened to Belichick, he certainly believes the NFL and the public (and his players that adhere to his philosophy) are too dumb to care or too invested and ignorant to know the issues.  

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.  I'm gonna withhold judgement for now.
Both of these are pretty spot-on, too. 

Not really. Everybody wants to like their sports most compelling draw. It becomes harder when they've gained competitive advantage by cheating in direct contradiction to league rules. 

It's not a mob yet, it's what happens when justice (not in the vengeance death sense, but pure and adequate justice) is not handed down in accordance with the transgression in the first place...but here's the thing about mob justice. When institutions break down and there is a microcosm or situation that demands retribution according to people's natural sense of justice, a mob is sometimes the only thing. 

I mean, it's really the stickiest question of political philosophy, isn't it?  
I love how everyone wants to convict at this point.  That sir, is a "mob mentality".  I'm all for crucifying the damn Patriots, but not at this juncture.

I love how everyone wants to convict at this point.  That sir, is a "mob mentality".  I'm all for crucifying the damn Patriots, but not at this juncture.
There hasn't been one person in here wanting to convict already. Most are in disbelief this could even remotely come close to happening again. You're putting words in other people's mouths right now. You're the one jumping to the conclusion about people jumping to conclusions, JohnnyU. 

There hasn't been one person in here wanting to convict already. Most are in disbelief this could even remotely come close to happening again. You're putting words in other people's mouths right now. You're the one jumping to the conclusion about people jumping to conclusions, JohnnyU. 
guilty af if you ask me

I disagree.  I read posts where they are already insinuating the Patriots are guilty because of the past Spygate.  Some of you need to watch "To kill a mockingbird".

Okay, we've got one. A broad absolute could not withstand the exacting test. 

I bow to both of you sirs, in certitude and in hopes of due process.

/Eagle Scout of honor 

Good lord, I would think it's nothing.  We're talking about the darn Bengals here, not Baltimore.
Actually saw a tweet on my Phone and now can't find it but during the spy gate investigation Patriots had a list of excuses ready for it they were caught filming. One is filming info for a team video stuff. The very one nE is using right now 

Edited:  You guys know how much I hate the Patriots, but come on, withhold judgement until the tapes are reviewed.  Damn internet....
Here it is 

NFL finds Patriots had list of excuses ready if confronted

Actually saw a tweet on my Phone and now can't find it but during the spy gate investigation Patriots had a list of excuses ready for it they were caught filming. One is filming info for a team video stuff. The very one nE is using right now 
Like I said, if there is evidence they filmed the sidelines then hand me a pitch fork, but I WILL NOT be a part of a convicting crowd at this point.  It makes no sense to even worry about the damn Bengals.  They could beat them with their back up QB.

Like I said, if there is evidence they filmed the sidelines then hand me a pitch fork, but I WILL NOT be a part of a convicting crowd at this point.
I understand that however kind of hard when one of the excuses the NFL found in prior investigation is one used here. 

Like I said, if there is something on the tapes showing them filming the sidelines, then give me a pitch fork and a torch and we will storm Gillette Stadium together. 
I looked at this as a total opposite.

No way in hell do you, as the Patriots, get anywhere near recording opponents teams, coaches, signs and calls... unless you are cheating.

Let's say you-JohnnyU and me run a team with the Patriots history.  No effing way do we do this, unless it's for an advantage. 

No one hates the Patriots more than me.  I mean NO ONE.  But you have to just wait until all the facts are in before convicting, even with their past.

I looked at this as a total opposite.

No way in hell do you, as the Patriots, get anywhere near recording opponents teams, coaches, signs and calls... unless you are cheating.

Let's say you-JohnnyU and me run a team with the Patriots history.  No effing way do we do this, unless it's for an advantage. 
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Bungles knew.  Wasn't this a Brown's thing?  Hell, the Patriots could be guilty for all I know, but the tape will tell.  I just don't think they need film to beat the Bengals, thus the reason why I question all of this.

No one hates the Patriots more than me.  I mean NO ONE.  But you have to just wait until all the facts are in before convicting, even with their past.
assuming you personally dont get the chance to review the complete video, what would it take to convince you? at this point it's a report citing someone who witnessed the filming and video. 

Yep.

And they just recorded the Bengal/Brown game and did not tell/ask the Bengals.
So, you think the Patriots are that stupid, to record the sideline of a team they could probably beat with their second team?  Even I don't think the Patriots are that stupid.  I hope they are!!!  I just find it hard to believe.

assuming you personally dont get the chance to review the complete video, what would it take to convince you? at this point it's a report citing someone who witnessed the filming and video. 
I think only the video is evidence.  If it doesn't show the Patriots filming the sidelines, case closed.

So, you think the Patriots are that stupid, to record the sideline of a team they could probably beat with their second team?  Even I don't think the Patriots are that stupid.  I hope they are!!!  I just find it hard to believe.
If it's you and me... we only do it for 1 reason.

One reason and only one.

Otherwise we dont sniff that BS.

Users who are viewing this thread