What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Affair. Just Like Westworld, without robots. Or cowboys. Or an audience. UPDATE: Dear God who knows, if you watch it fill us in (1 Viewer)

I'll just put this in spoiler tags, given that it's a reveal and a lot of people who might read this haven't watched the first episode:

I get the differing accounts on small things, a look, or what was implied/inferred, but that major physical details like who slapped the daughter on the back to dislodge the marble strains credulity. Hard to mis-remember something like that.

I'll just put this in spoiler tags, given that it's a reveal and a lot of people who might read this haven't watched the first episode:

I get the differing accounts on small things, a look, or what was implied/inferred, but that major physical details like who slapped the daughter on the back to dislodge the marble strains credulity. Hard to mis-remember something like that.
I don't think it's a case of misremembering. Each is telling their side of the story to the investigator/detective (whoever Deacon from King of Queens is) and trying to make themselves look better by being the one who saved the girl from choking.

Great pilot, I'm in. Intriguing structure, will be cool to see that unfold over the course of the story. I don't know if it was intentional or just my tired brain but Alison looked completely different in each part, I actually wondered if it was two different actresses. Both were hot.

McGarnicle said:
Alison in that little white dress :wub:
She's got a duck-lip thing going, but it's kind of adorable.

I like how they're unspooling the murder part of this slowly. Obviously it's a slow reveal, but it doesn't feel like a trick or a cheap pop in any way.

I don't think it's a case of misremembering. Each is telling their side of the story to the investigator/detective (whoever Deacon from King of Queens is) and trying to make themselves look better by being the one who saved the girl from choking.
Very good point here.

Very good point here.

Yeah, i'll grant you that that makes sense.

Interesting comment in her interrogation about having to get back to the city...

Very good point here.

Yeah, i'll grant you that that makes sense.

Interesting comment in her interrogation about having to get back to the city...

Didn't she also say she had to go get her child ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid second episode. They threw a little misdirection as to who was killed. Obvious answer would be Joshua Jackson but could possibly be the father in law or the ranch brother who was looking to tap McNulty's underage daughter. The unhappy young wife and middle aged husband both questioning their life choices is intriguing. That quote he said about going back in time and making a different choice and living two alternate lives was money, need to write that down. It reminded me of the thread someone started here. Between that point and the "was it rape" scene from the pilot I'm wondering if the writers have been lurking in the FFA.

I don't watch much TV these days but this show is on the weekly watch list now.

Solid second episode. They threw a little misdirection as to who was killed. Obvious answer would be Joshua Jackson but could possibly be the father in law or the ranch brother who was looking to tap McNulty's underage daughter. The unhappy young wife and middle aged husband both questioning their life choices is intriguing. That quote he said about going back in time and making a different choice and living two alternate lives was money, need to write that down. It reminded me of the thread someone started here. Between that point and the "was it rape" scene from the pilot I'm wondering if the writers have been lurking in the FFA.

I don't watch much TV these days but this show is on the weekly watch list now.
Agree on all fronts. The way Alison says "I can't believe he's gone" would lead one to think that it's not the father-in-law, whom she has a stated distaste for, unless she was putting on an act. Which is possible.

I don't eat turkey and jam sandwiches enough, btw.

This really needs to pick up a bit.

And there's some stuff that just doesn't make sense. We know that McNutty and his family have spent previous summers in Montauk yet he acts like he knows nothing about the place. Doesn't know where the library is, never met or heard of any of the Lockharts or other families etc. Same for his wife. Didn't she grow up there or at least spend summers there as a kid?

This really needs to pick up a bit.

And there's some stuff that just doesn't make sense. We know that McNutty and his family have spent previous summers in Montauk yet he acts like he knows nothing about the place. Doesn't know where the library is, never met or heard of any of the Lockharts or other families etc. Same for his wife. Didn't she grow up there or at least spend summers there as a kid?
Really good point here.

Wondering if some of this may be because of the contrasting narratives/perspectives format?

I agree with OPM. I'm still liking it but we're three weeks in and nothing has really happened yet. It would be nice if they picked up the pace a bit. Now I don't need Games of Thrones type action but I at least hope the affair actually happens before the end of season one.

I agree with OPM. I'm still liking it but we're three weeks in and nothing has really happened yet. It would be nice if they picked up the pace a bit. Now I don't need Games of Thrones type action but I at least hope the affair actually happens before the end of season one.
What constitutes an affair?

It looked like they already banged after the town hall meeting from McNulty's version. Unless that was just some old fashioned manual stimulation.

What constitutes an affair?It looked like they already banged after the town hall meeting from McNulty's version. Unless that was just some old fashioned manual stimulation.
I thought it was the latter. But if that was "the affair", that's pretty disappointing.

Surprised this thread is so bare, I guess not many people have showtime, or maybe this just isn't the type of show someone wants to watch with their significant other. This episode was pretty slow (ep 4), no regular cast other than McNulty, Allison, and the detective. The way they unfold the emotional and physical steps of an affair are very real. From a psychological and relationship standpoint they nail it. Push pull, attraction regret, honesty awkwardness. She falls for his wisdom and confidence, he falls for her youth and vulnerability. Something about her is off, her nose or mouth or voice, but she still oozes sexuality. Great yoga reference. How did you learn to swim? Noah does a great job of maintaining his frame throughout the interaction. I realize this series will not appeal to most locked down men but it is spot on. Looking forward to the dramatic fallout. #### island fo sho.

Watched the first four episodes and the male leads voice is starting to get to me. It was ok for the first two episodes, but now its starting to grate and get on my nerves. Like Officer Pete, I think this show needs to pick up the pace.

Good show - takes awhile to develop all the characters given the two-person, first person nature of the storytelling, but I dig it so far. Agree that it's slow but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Good show - takes awhile to develop all the characters given the two-person, first person nature of the storytelling, but I dig it so far. Agree that it's slow but I don't think that's a bad thing.
If you want fast good news there are six seasons of Sons of Anarchy waiting for you on Netflix.

The last two episodes have picked up quite a bit in terms of steamy immoral sechs and the drugs/murder mystery angle. From the previews it looks like the #### is going to hit the fan pretty hard in the next few episodes. I doubt this will get renewed but I'm enjoying it for now.

Really enjoying the direction it is going -- I liked having both spouses find out about the affair in the same episode, especially so early on. And while I have no experience in what it's actually like, I feel like most TV shows do not do a good job representing what it's like when a spouse finds out the other is cheating; I thought the Affair did a great job portraying what I think is a realistic interpretation.

:popcorn: Latest episode was great. I'm really enjoying the dual perpsectove story telling, and the discrepancies. Good to hear it was picked up for a second season. As I was watching this episode I started to feel like I was watching an FFA Friday fishing trip.

Reminder: It is always a bad idea to confess infidelity. Selfish.

Strange lips/mouth girl is so hot. I think I am a fan of the crazy.

Three some with the hot black and white chick getting stoned.

Love this show. Flawed, sure, but what show isn't? Great mechanic with the dual perspectives, some very good acting. Looking forward to the finale next week.

My wife and I caught up on this show fully over the last week. Really liking it. I found myself kind of going "ugh..." when Part 2 would start as the momentum stopped but it usually picks back up quickly.

Ruth Wilson and Maura Tierney have both been really good this show, but I thought they were each outstanding last night. There's a lot of great actresses out there, and there's only one Tatiana Maslany, but these two should win some awards.

Noah's character has been sliding down for awhile, but he's now bordering on unlikable.

Agree, last nights episode was great. Solid acting all around and everything from earlier in the season is being tied together nicely in the slowest murder investigation ever. I'm glad they got picked up for a season 2. Love the split perspective story telling.

Another show where the writers have no problem creating really stupid characters.

Don't want you parents to know you're pregnant? Put the positive pregnancy test in the kitchen trashcan.

You just banged a married man in his own house but you don't realize you're not wearing a bra? Sounds legit?

You found the bra that belongs to your lover in your bedroom? Just put it in your sock drawer.

I thought she left the bra there on purpose. Same reason she squirted out most of the wife's shampoo. I think she wanted the wife to know she was there.

As for the pregnancy test, teenage girls are dumb and do dumb stuff. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread