What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Looks Awesome (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Saw a preview of this last night and can't wait to see it (comes out February 15).

Directed by Matthew Vaughn who doesn't have a blemish on his record as a director (Layer Cake, X-Men First Class, Kick-###, Stardust).

Trailer

Mmmm....maybe. I haven't seen anything in the trailer that would convince me it's not just another entry in the Agent Cody Banks series, except this time with an older kid.

I mean, Vaughn did a great job with X-men and I loved Layer Cake, but I'm a bit surprised he even took this property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm....maybe. I haven't seen anything in the trailer that would convince me it's not just another entry in the Agent Cody Banks series, except this time with an older kid.

I mean, Vaughn did a great job with X-men and I loved Layer Cake, but I'm a bit surprised he even took this property.
It's British so I don't expect a Cody Banks type movie. The kid is a chav, not some typical suburban kid. I expect it to be like Men in Black.

It's British so I don't expect a Cody Banks type movie. The kid is a chav, not some typical suburban kid. I expect it to be like Men in Black.
good call there all the way around. if someone likes GotG or MiB then they'll be fine with this.

Saw this last night. I thought it was a fun movie. Like If Tarantino did Scott Pilgrim. Won't win any Oscars, but has to be better than 50 shades of grey if you plan on seeing a movie this week.

Haven't seen it and probably won't. I thought it was weird when I read the reviews online and it turns out that it's a super violent movie. The trailers really don't indicate that at all IMO. That's fine if that's what people want, but not a big fan of movies pretending that they're one thing in the previews and being something else in reality. John Wick was another movie that I felt did the same thing, Seemed like an action movie like a Taken or Transporter from the previews and turned out to be a super violent bloodfest.

Really surprised by the 8.3 rating and consistency through demographics - lowest rating is from men 45+ at 7.9.

It was entertaining. Firth was solid and SLJ was surprisingly good.

Will say I was uncomfortable at times because in one instance, for example, I found myself laughing during a scene where a 100 people were slaughtered. I was looking around like should I be laughing.

The lead kid was good but the style of the English youth is like Justin Beiber. Was distracting.

Very entertaining, movie is enjoyable if you don't take it serious.
I agree 100% with this and the post above. I thought is was an enjoyable 2+ hours. I don't think this is spoiler worthy; did anyone catch the late reference to Trading Places by Eggsy after he knew nothing about the movie early on?

I agree 100% with this and the post above. I thought is was an enjoyable 2+ hours. I don't think this is spoiler worthy; did anyone catch the late reference to Trading Places by Eggsy after he knew nothing about the movie early on?
Missed it - help me out
When Harry first met Eggsy (as an adult) he made a mention of Trading Places (along with Pretty Woman and a few other movies as I recall), to which Eggsy replied "you mean like My Fair Lady". In the mountain lair at the end Merlin let out "looking good Eggsy" to which he replied "Feeling good Merlin". One thing that also occurred to me, was that there should have been a dog in the house when Harry first met Eggsy.

2Young2BBald said:
dschuler said:
I took it as a wink to the audience. Whether Eggsy had seen Trading Places did not matter.

Just watched this on a flight. Very fun, popcorn movie. Don't even remember it coming to the theaters.

The scene in the Kentucky church, the part near the end with the fireworks, and the very ending were pretty spectacular.

Just watched this on a flight. Very fun, popcorn movie. Don't even remember it coming to the theaters.

The scene in the Kentucky church, the part near the end with the fireworks, and the very ending were pretty spectacular.
It was released and did pretty well. It was still playing six weeks after it came out when I saw it, which is a pretty good indication it found an audience.

It was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in recent years and had to me a James Bond meets Jason Bourne quality.

It was released and did pretty well. It was still playing six weeks after it came out when I saw it, which is a pretty good indication it found an audience.It was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in recent and had to me a James Bond meets Jason Bourne quality.
Would like to see another. Definitely didn't take itself too seriously.

It was released and did pretty well. It was still playing six weeks after it came out when I saw it, which is a pretty good indication it found an audience.It was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in recent and had to me a James Bond meets Jason Bourne quality.
Sequel in the works.

Frank Drebin said:
The General said:
squistion said:
The General said:

Sequel in the works.
Very cool. That pic in the story was from the church scene. Craziest minute of a movie that I can remember seeing in a long time.Also said in that story the director is doing a Flash Gordon reboot. I'd be in if done right.

I'll add this movie is amazingly violent in a few parts in almost a comical way as an earlier poster alluded to. Seems to be the Director's style.

I'll add this movie is amazingly violent in a few parts in almost a comical way as an earlier poster alluded to. Seems to be the Director's style.
It's very Kill Bill in the violence. Over the top, not at all realistic and almost comical like you said.

Great thread, cstu.

I just saw the new Kingsman movie tonight. Very good movie. I highly recommend it.
I went with my daughter tonight.  We both went in with lower expectations but both of us enjoyed the flick.  

Neither of us liked it as much as the first one but that was inevitable when you lose some of the originality factor.

Happy to see people liking it. It's been savaged by the critics over here and I definitely have been considering giving it a miss

Happy to see people liking it. It's been savaged by the critics over here and I definitely have been considering giving it a miss
I think a lot depends on your expectations.  The critics and fans are a little spread on this movie.  Critics hate it because it is the type of movie that is easy to hate from their point of view, but the IMDB vote (fans) is a solid 7.4 right now.

Just keep your expectations in check and you might be surprised.  It is not Shawshank, but its not Battlefield Earth either.

Just came back from seeing the movie.

Loved the first one but had low expectations based on the trailer.

Think this was the case where the sequel is better than the original.

Recommended.

I just watched both of these last night.  The Princess's family is going to be the bad guys in the next one, right?

Both Kingsman movies were great fun.  I'd have no problem whatsoever if Vaughn keeps cranking these out ... certainly better than the Bond movies, at least since Connery retired his license to kill.

Yeah the second one was definitely a let down of the "People loved the first one so let's make the second one explodier...Oh and robot tigers!!!" variety.

Sometimes Hollywood writers/directors/producers just can't get out of their own way to save their lives.

Another thing I liked about the second one is that their English accent was a little more subdued. In the first one, there were many times it was hard to understand what they were saying. It wasn't very clear.

And Julianne Moore was awesome in the second one too..

You guys are nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread