What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "I Cut Tom Brady" support group (1 Viewer)

We you the one saying get Bortles or Bridgewater? I've been known to be impatient but I'm not that impatient.

Really surprised that the NYJ front 7 can't contain the NE offense. Gronk, Edelman, and Vereen out of the backfield are the only consistent threats in that offense. Contain the short pass and force Brady to throw outside to his WRs.

Can we also change the thread name to didn't pick up Brady from fa when someone dropped him?
Cutting a HOF QB seems like a bright idea at the time. Oh wait
Meh, it's not like cutting Manning or Brees after a slow month. Brady was fantasy backup-caliber last season and his team was resigned to running a crappy ground and pound offense early this season. He barely cost anything in drafts.

Can we also change the thread name to didn't pick up Brady from fa when someone dropped him?
Meh, it's not like cutting Manning or Brees after a slow month. Brady was fantasy backup-caliber last season and his team was resigned to running a crappy ground and pound offense early this season. He barely cost anything in drafts.
Wasn't his ADP top 10 among QB's late in August?

Yeah I cut him too but he was my backup to Aaron Rodgers so while it feels sucky to see him do so well, I've been happily starting Rodgers weekly anyway.

I cut TB, just before his game against Cincy. Had to spend almost all my FAAB budget to get him back. Mad at myself for throwing my waiver wire budget in the trash over an impluse decision. Would have won that week when I decided to drop him. I remember it was a Sunday night game. I turned it off at halftime, my head was throbbing. I wanted Brady to leave on a stretcher I was so mad at him for finally remembering who he was. Now he's back on my roster and I cheer for him. FF hobby is fickle.

Dont get upset, these things happen. Brady was not just having a bad week, he looked as bad as any QB in the league the first 4 weeks. At some point you have to take a look at your team and after 4 weeks, a quarter of the season, he was beyond bad. If you had to make a move you had to, an Brady was definitely worthy of a cut, and while he is hot now we saw how he can just fall apart like he did in the 2nd half. Other then the throw to Amendola for the score he looked like Brady of the first 4 games. He will be bad again, this team still has few weapons.

His deep balls look like hail mary floaters, while that may have worked to Vereen, those will get picked off more than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vicktimized said:
Reegus said:
This is a what have you done for me lately league. Just because he is hot now, it looks as if people forget how bad he was weeks 1-4 and he could be that bad again weeks 12-16 because we already know he can be that bad. I did nto cut him, I traded him, and even though he is hot I do not regret it because I know how I felt watching him be beyond bad the first 4 weeks.

Dont get upset, these things happen. Brady was not just having a bad week, he looked as bad as any QB in the league the first 4 weeks. At some point you have to take a look at your team and after 4 weeks, a quarter of the season, he was beyond bad. If you had to make a move you had to, an Brady was definitely worthy of a cut, and while he is hot now we saw how he can just fall apart like he did in the 2nd half. Other then the throw to Amendola for the score he looked like Brady of the first 4 games. He will be bad again, this team still has few weapons.

His deep balls look like hail mary floaters, while that may have worked to Vereen, those will get picked off more than not.
where were the wiseguys in this thread the 1st 4 weeks? Brady was THE worst fantasy qb in the first 4 weeks. Ranked dead last. Not surprised people cut him

where were the wiseguys in this thread the 1st 4 weeks? Brady was THE worst fantasy qb in the first 4 weeks. Ranked dead last. Not surprised people cut him
Yeah the first 4 weeks is a great indicator on how the rest of the season is going to go for a hall of famer like Brady.

No running game for NE, Brady looks like money in the bank. He was on my waiver wire so I took a flyer on him. I think he be top 5 the rest of the way.

Yeah the first 4 weeks is a great indicator on how the rest of the season is going to go for a hall of famer like Brady.
How about the the previous 16?

and these last 3 games are a great indicator of how the rest of the season will go...

card carrying member. it's funny because I had never owned him in fantasy prior to this season and I lasted all of four games with him before showing him the door.

and these last 3 games are a great indicator of how the rest of the season will go...
If people decided not to cut or trade Brady, good for them. But to act shocked that some would cut bait with one of the worst QBs in the league after a quarter of a season is just funny. Brady is Brady, but anyone who has a bad 4 week stretch like that is not immune from being cut. He wasnt just bad, he was awful.

He was a reasonable cut after a 1/4 of the FF season. He still doesn't look great but played inspired/angry vs. a Bengals team that walked into a ####storm, a bad Bills team, and a bad Jets team. He's not even a true case of "hindsight is 20/20", as I expect his numbers to tail off a little and even be woefully bad vs. better competition.

Traded him & Donnell to the Pitta owner for Kaep and I'm expecting Kaep to continue outscoring Brady. Regret is for suckers. :cool:

I cut him for Cousins and Wilson and have been 4-0 since. Looking at his weapons, I'm still not sure he's going to sustain this amount of success.

Even after last night Brady is #19 in PPG and has a rough stretch weeks 12-15 (Lions, Packers, Chargers, and Dolphins).

This is a "what have you done for me lately" hobby. Year to date stats mean squat. Fantasy footballers are more interested in the past 3 weeks. This is trending upwards, Gronk is healthier, even though he still has the bulky brace, Lafell is carving out a defined role, running backs are being used a lot in the passing game. Not a lot of north south, between the tackles running. All of this is reason for optimism for Brady owners. And the fact that the Patriots at home late in the season are always money.

This is a "what have you done for me lately" hobby. Year to date stats mean squat. Fantasy footballers are more interested in the past 3 weeks. This is trending upwards, Gronk is healthier, even though he still has the bulky brace, Lafell is carving out a defined role, running backs are being used a lot in the passing game. Not a lot of north south, between the tackles running. All of this is reason for optimism for Brady owners. And the fact that the Patriots at home late in the season are always money.
He has two tough matchups on the road during fantasy playoffs (weeks 13/14 @ Packers and Chargers). They are then at home vs. the Dolphins week 15 and then go on the road again @ the Jets.

If he doesn't have one bust game in the stretch I'll be amazed.

Serious question what size leagues are you Brady cutters in? I'm not in anything smaller than a 12 teamer so that thought of cutting someone like Brady is absurd to me.

That and a hall of fame career. I'm not saying he's a top 5 fantasy QB anymore or that you even need to start him but he's at least worth a backup QB spot on every 10 team league and larger. Do alot of fantasy leagues not allow people to carry more than 1 QB?

Serious question what size leagues are you Brady cutters in? I'm not in anything smaller than a 12 teamer so that thought of cutting someone like Brady is absurd to me.
12 team league. His first four weeks he scored 13.26, 10.96, 13.66, and 8.36 pts respectively. At the same time, there were QB's like Cousins on the waiver wire that scored 19.9, 31.58, 11.48, 21.72, 21.16. I started out Cousins just to stop the bleeding, but after 4 games, it became ridiculous. I didn't trust that he had any upside. Brady was playing like a waiver wire QB.

That and a hall of fame career. I'm not saying he's a top 5 fantasy QB anymore or that you even need to start him but he's at least worth a backup QB spot on every 10 team league and larger. Do alot of fantasy leagues not allow people to carry more than 1 QB?
What does a hall of fame career have to do with this season? LT had a HoF career and he fell off at the end.

What does a hall of fame career have to do with this season? LT had a HoF career and he fell off at the end.
A hall of fame career means he has a track record therefore should have a longer leash than most. If you feel he's at the end of career then yes cut bait but QB's typically don't hit a wall like RB's do. Hell Brett Favre had one of his best season's when he was well past his prime.

When did people start drafting only one QB and why be so bad?
In redraft I've always done that due to short benches. Last year I got Wilson in the 12th and loaded up on WRs with Green, Bowe, Jordy, Blackmon, and Gordon. Traded Green for Graham and made the title game even though Blackmon got suspended.

Went with Foles in the 6th this year. Dropped Stacy for Brady last week when the owner dropped him just for this week. I'm actually playing the owner who dropped him. Now which QB do I trade for hopefully a RB or TE upgrade? I can't just drop one of them.

I was seriously considering it in my 12 teamer but held him. I was so pissed I had even drafted him (I hate the guy as it is), that I could not get myself to consider playing him the past two weeks.

I got over it after the 4TD's vs BUF and put him back in my line up last night. I think with the Riddley injury and their crappy defense he should be decent going forward.

I fear he will still put up some stinkers hear and there as he pretty much folds when teams start getting pressure on him, outside of Gronk everyone is meh and his accuracy is still suspect (Amendola(who is not targeted enough) made a great adjustment/catch on that last TD...).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was seriously considering it in my 12 teamer but held him. I was so pissed I had even drafted him (I hate the guy as it is), that I could not get myself to consider playing him the past two weeks.

I got over it after the 4TD's vs BUF and put him back in my line up last night. I think with the Riddley injury and their crappy defense he should be decent going forward.

I fear he will still put up some stinkers hear and there as he pretty much folds when teams start getting pressure on him, outside of Gronk everyone is meh and his accuracy is still suspect (Amendola(who is not targeted enough) made a great adjustment/catch on that last TD...).
Amendola isn't targeted because he can't get even an inch of separation from anybody. Every time he's on the field he's getting obliterated at the LOS. He just gets completely swallowed up by press coverage and every defense seems to know it, at this point. He's awful. The less time he spends on the field, the better.

In redraft I've always done that due to short benches.
In short bench leagues it makes sense, plenty of dudes on the wire.

In all other formats, even if you aren't a proponent of QBBC - draft a second QB...
We go 18 deep stating 1/1/2/1/2 flex. Right now Brady sits at QB21 in ppg right along side of Glenn and Davis. QB7-12 are separated by one point. QB13-24 are separated by by about 1.8 ppg. Really no need to roster a second QB if you have a top caliber guy since the talent on the wire is good as most people's QB2.

The only reason to draft a second QB is if you see value that you can flip. I couldn't move Cousins for a backup TE.

In redraft I've always done that due to short benches.
In short bench leagues it makes sense, plenty of dudes on the wire.

In all other formats, even if you aren't a proponent of QBBC - draft a second QB...
We go 18 deep stating 1/1/2/1/2 flex. Right now Brady sits at QB21 in ppg right along side of Glenn and Davis. QB7-12 are separated by one point. QB13-24 are separated by by about 1.8 ppg. Really no need to roster a second QB if you have a top caliber guy since the talent on the wire is good as most people's QB2.

The only reason to draft a second QB is if you see value that you can flip. I couldn't move Cousins for a backup TE.
In one of my leagues that has 19 man rosters for example, the wire QBs are Cousins, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Carr, Geno, Glennon, etc.

I guess its just my philosophy that the QB position is simultaneously one of the least and most valuable positions. Brady was going late, there were so many guys going 3-5 rounds later than Brady that make absolutely ridiculous committees - and as I said, even if you aren't a proponent of QBBC having an above average second QB is huge. In terms of draft value, my second QB taken is almost always a better value than the first.

Rivers, last year and this year - going 10th round+, absolutely stupid value. Dalton, Wilson, Kaep, Roethlisberger and so on.

Going into the draft this year, if you decided you weren't going for Brees, Rodgers, Luck or Manning, you pretty much had free reign to grab two QBs that had a pretty damn good chance of being top 10 and at reasonable ADPs.

Users who are viewing this thread