Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
meatwad1

Official Seahawks 'Wheels Coming Off the Bus' thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, menobrown said:

Don't think it's close they'd prefer AB if he was able to play. Gordon is a shell of himself, AB is still one of the best WR's in the game. Your 90/10 prediction might work out because it's not looking great for AB to get cleared to sign with anyone, but it's not by Seattle's choice.

But they only have $14M. Adding Clowney/Griffen seems more important than Brown. It seems unlikely they can do both. Perhaps if they end up unable to sign one of Clowney or Griffen, it would make sense to swing that cap space to Brown, if he is eligible to play.

ETA: They don't have $17M, they have $14M. Bad info at Spotrac.

Edited by Just Win Baby

24 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:
31 minutes ago, menobrown said:

About how I feel in light of Seattle's acumen for drafting in later rounds but not so great with their first round picks. I normally hate paying premium picks for a player you have to pay premium money to. In many ways this deal is like the Colts acquiring Buckner, both teams got a great player who should help them a ton but I have a hard time loving giving up that cheap first round labor to have to pay big money, especially with the looming cap cuts.

But Adams should flourish in this defense and with the way Seattle drafts, as you said, this might make sense.

For the Jets it seems like a no brainer. This deal may have been almost agreed to before Adams latest outburst but that situation was toxic, Jets are going nowhere but should have a lot of cap space and load of picks which will help when they make Darnold a $30+M a year player.

Yes, you got it exactly. I don’t think Seattle is bad at drafting, but they’re better at finding mid round gems. Adams should strengthen their d enough to be an NFC competitor. 2 1s for a safety is excellent value by the new Jets GM and should allow them to quickly build around Darnold assuming he’s their guy. 

I think the notion that Seattle is bad at drafting in the first round is a bit off. Since Carroll got there, here are their first round picks:

• 2010 - 1.6 LT Okung, 1.14 FS Earl Thomas - both home run picks
  • 2011 - 1.25 LG James Carpenter - not great, but not terrible for a late first rounder; he has started 108 games at LG in 9 seasons so far
  • 2012 - 1.15 Edge Bruce Irvin - solid player who contributed to both of Seattle's Super Bowl teams and has started 90 games in 8 seasons so far
  • 2016 - 1.31 OL Germain Ifedi - not a good pick, yet started 60 games in 4 seasons with Seattle
  • 2018 - 1.27 RB Rashaad Penny - seemed like a reach, but it did seem like he was coming on last season before his injury; jury remains out IMO
  • 2019 - 1.29 Edge LJ Collier - terrible rookie season, but jury remains out after just one season
  • 2020 - 1.27 LB Jordyn Brooks - jury is out, hasn't played a game yet

Looks like a mixed bag on top of a small sample size IMO. There is also some recency bias in this belief, since the last 4 picks so far seem much worse than the first 4. There were also multiple seasons where they traded out of the first round, which helped them to eventually draft other good players.

All that said, it seems to me that there will likely be even more uncertainty in draft picks made in 2022 and especially 2021. If there is no 2020 college football season, which probably also means no Senior Bowl and associated practices, player evaluation will be harder and thus riskier than usual.

I do agree that this trade was a win/win. The Jets now have the ammunition to move up to replace Darnold if he doesn't establish himself as their QBOTF this season. And, if Darnold does establish that, they have a lot of extra valuable picks to try to build a better roster around him.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, travdogg said:
On 7/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, Just Win Baby said:

I think Gordon is their first choice, for multiple reasons.

1. They already know he fits the team, culture, etc.
  2. Gordon is likely to be eligible to play more games than Brown, who is expected to face a "lengthy" suspension if and when he plays again. Some of Gordon's issues in the past related to MJ, and the league has relaxed its stance on that, implying that some of those wouldn't happen under the new CBA.
  3. Gordon is likely to be cheaper. Brown signed 2 contracts last year: 3 years, $50M with the Raiders and 1 year, $10M with the Patriots. Gordon signed 1 contract last year: 1 year, $2M with the Patriots. It seems very likely Gordon will sign for $1-2M. No way Brown plays for that with his ego.

IMO the odds of these guys playing for Seattle in 2020 are 90% for Gordon and 10% for Brown.

I 100% agree that Seattle will end up with Gordon, frankly I'm not sure anyone else is all that interested. 

I do think they'd prefer Brown, simply because he's a much better player. 

We do see it somewhat similarly though. I'd say 99% on Gordon and probably about 50% on Brown.

From Free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown suspended 8 games:

According to Robert Klemko of the Washington Post, Brown has been suspended eight games by the NFL for a violation of the personal conduct policy...

Brown’s suspension will begin Week 1, regardless of if he is signed by then or not. Crucially, this suspension is a result of Brown’s no contest plea in an assault of a moving truck driver and an accusation of sexual misconduct by an artist he hired to paint a mural in his home. It isn’t, however, related to the civil suit filed against him by his former trainer, who is accusing Brown of sexual harassment and sexual assault. That case is scheduled to resume on September 15 and could result in further league punishment...

The Seahawks have previously been connected to Brown this offseason, both by NFL Network’s Mike Silver and ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the latter of whom reported earlier this month that Seattle was among teams waiting for clarity on a suspension before pursuing interest further.

Brown’s suspension and pending legal issues, combined with Josh Gordon’s imminent reinstatement, should make a Seahawks signing of Brown unlikely. 

8 games is a lot, especially with the possibility of additional suspension over his civil case. Given this report says his suspension begins week 1 even if he is unsigned, I don't think it is likely he is signed by any team until after the season starts. If COVID shortens the season, and if he ends up with more suspension from the other lawsuit, he could effectively be suspended for the entire season.

2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

From Free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown suspended 8 games:

8 games is a lot, especially with the possibility of additional suspension over his civil case. Given this report says his suspension begins week 1 even if he is unsigned, I don't think it is likely he is signed by any team until after the season starts. If COVID shortens the season, and if he ends up with more suspension from the other lawsuit, he could effectively be suspended for the entire season.

Certainly doesn't hep his case. 

I'm a little disappointed that Brown got an 8 game suspension. Feels extremely excessive, especially since last year was arguably time served. Just seems wrong that Brown got at least 8, and yet Tyreek got 0, when there was both more evidence and more wrongdoing on Hill's part in my opinion. 

Alas, that is probably more of a whataboutism argument, that I typically loathe. On the other hand, I don't believe Gordon(if he gets signed) is the threat to Lockett or Metcalf, which Brown would have been, so I feel pretty decent with either Seahawk WR as a WR2, with potential WR1 upside.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, Just Win Baby said:

As for that point differential, it was primarily due to being #22 in points allowed. Look at the changes on defense:

• Clowney gone... for now. Huge downgrade unless they sign him or Everson Griffen, which I expect.
  • Adams replaces McDougald. Huge upgrade.
  • Starting FS Diggs should play more games; he was obtained via trade midseason 2019 and played 5 regular season games for Seattle last season but had PFF's second-highest grade on the defense.
  • Starting IDL Reed should play more games; he missed 6 games due to suspension in 2019. He could also rebound, since his play dropped off last season, perhaps related to the suspension.
  • Signed edge rushers Bruce Irvin and Benson Mayowa.
  • Traded for CB Dunbar. If he plays, he should be an upgrade.
  • Drafted LB Jordyn Brooks in the first round, DE Darrell Taylor in the second round, and DE Alton Robinson in the fifth round.
  • Last year's first round pick, edge rusher Collier, was terrible as a rookie but could improve.

The defense should be improved even if it does not sign Clowney or Griffen. If they do sign one of them, it should be significantly improved.

All charges dropped against Dunbar

Report: Seahawks showing interest in veteran pass rushers

On 10/19/2014 at 9:01 AM, meatwad1 said:

Trading Harvin was a panic move in my opinion. Management is not liking how this season is going so far, and they are looking a little jittery.

At 3-2, if the Hawks roll like everyone thinks they are going to, this thread will disappear into the night, but if the Rams pound them, as I am predicting, this thread can serve as a centerpiece of discussion on what not to do when trying to follow up a title.

Six years and counting.  Still my favorite thread to bump. Atta meatwad. 

Some random thoughts to bump our ongoing Seattle thread.

• Everyone is currently in love with DK, but he's nowhere near the best WR in the league right now. Too many drops, and he still turns like a battleship. However, he is a battleship, and those monster killing devices have a purpose. I'm glad that Seattle is using him wisely. Hoping that he becomes more consistent and reliable holding onto the ball. My head tells me Lockett is still the better player overall, but maybe not for long. We'll see. 
  • The thing that makes Pete and Russell so special is the never ending positive attitude. I've not witnessed either one of them lose heart in the past ten years. They're perfect for each other. 
  • I think Carson is a special talent. He's a better receiver than he gets credit for. Runs insanely hard. Hope his body can make it through a full year. 
  • The lack of a pass rush is going to cost Seattle a game eventually. 
  • Bobby Wagner has been getting blown up too often. He needs Snacks badly to show up and occupy more blockers so he can be clean to run to the ball. This said, KJ Wright is having one his best years ten years into his career. He just keeps making huge plays. 
  • Minnesota had an awesome game plan to start last night. The two deep safeties removed the Seattle passing game the entire first half. I can't imagine how Pete kept it together watching Russell try to throw the ball when he was staring at a consistent six in the box defense. At his core I think Pete would have rather switched sidelines and ran the ball like Minnesota did. Not being able to win the game by out-physically the other team has to eating at him a bit, but he does look like he's still have a lot of fun. 
  • Dickson looks like he's back his All-Pro rookie season. Dude paints pictures with punts. No fan wants to see their punter trot onto the field, but he's pretty dang good. 
  • Will be nice to get Adams back after the bye, but it's also nice to see the front office find another gem in Neal. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 1