What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a horror movie for Halloween (1 Viewer)

Pick a horror movie

• Black Cat

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Deep Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Suspiria

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Don't Look Now

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Repulsion

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

jamny

Footballguy
Double feature for Halloween night. Wife is picking the original Halloween.

I'm considering picking an old movie that I haven't seen yet, although I might go with re-watching something too.

Options:

Black Cat - Karloff/Lugosi

Deep Red - Dario Argento

Martin - George A. Romero

Suspiria - Dario Argento

Repulsion - Roman Polanski

Another creepy one would be director Tim Burton's 1999 flick called 'Sleepy Hollow' where as a critic put it, '...heads roll, bodies pile up, and the horseman - played in flashback by a megaweird Christopher Walken - rises from the dead'.

I say Martin - can't go wrong with Romero. An appetizer could be the original Night Of The Living Dead.

Last year I acquired several classics that I have never seen thinking that this year I would have time to watch some of them. So far I haven't but I'll chime in as I watch them since some have been mentioned already.

I say Martin - can't go wrong with Romero. An appetizer could be the original Night Of The Living Dead.
One of the few DVD's I own and in my top 3 favorite ever, if not the top. It was my first thought but I believe I've tried getting her to watch it a couple of times and she wasn't into it.

For more known options that I've seen already, I'm thinking of maybe the original Wolfman or Rosemary's Baby.

Imo, Argento is fairly hit or miss, and doesn't fully hold up today- sorry jdogg. ;)

I think the best of the list is Repulsion. also would make a nice b/w pairing with Halloween.

One of the few DVD's I own and in my top 3 favorite ever, if not the top. It was my first thought but I believe I've tried getting her to watch it a couple of times and she wasn't into it.

For more known options that I've seen already, I'm thinking of maybe the original Wolfman or Rosemary's Baby.
If she won't go for Romero, try Carnival of Souls (1962).

Try The House of The Devil by Ti West if you get a chance.Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 86% and while it's not great it does give you the feel of being a throwback to some of the classic horror thrillers from the 70's and 80's.

Try The House of The Devil by Ti West if you get a chance.Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 86% and while it's not great it does give you the feel of being a throwback to some of the classic horror thrillers from the 70's and 80's.
Hmmm, I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while. The trailer does look good but it might be too similar in genre to Halloween.

Another creepy one would be director Tim Burton's 1999 flick called 'Sleepy Hollow' where as a critic put it, '...heads roll, bodies pile up, and the horseman - played in flashback by a megaweird Christopher Walken - rises from the dead'.
I thought that was a comedy.

Hmmm, I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while. The trailer does look good but it might be too similar in genre to Halloween.
Agreed on not pairing it with Halloween but do try and check it out sometime.

I thought that was a comedy.
Not unlike most of their movies together it has it's comedic moments but is an underrated movie.I liked it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a more current suggestion, you might try The Orphanage. Had me on the edge of my seat with eyes wide more than a few times. The urge to yell "Don't go in there!!!" was strong as well. It's also a good story to boot.

tom22406 said:
I really liked the feel of his other one too- Innkeepers.

For a more current suggestion, you might try The Orphanage. Had me on the edge of my seat with eyes wide more than a few times. The urge to yell "Don't go in there!!!" was strong as well. It's also a good story to boot.
:thumbup:

easily one of the top horror movies of the last decade or so.

Like all the top horror films listed ,but, that's for regular days of the year. For Halloween it has to be nostalgic; something like Pumpkinhead, the Evil Dead or just plain old Halloween. 

Still Motel Hell_ for me. A slaughterhouse chainsaw swordfight featuring Saturday-matinee Western legend Rory Calhoun wearing a pig's head and a future cast member of Cheers as a hippie planted up to his neck out back plotting his zombie revenge while being fattened up by naso-gastric tube to be made into Cliff Jerky. Don't forget your cape!

Friday the 13th would be a solid bookend.

If you're looking to pair it up with another single stalker kind of thing, there's a small movie called The Collector which I recall being kinda creepy.  Thought I saw it on Netflix.

Still Motel Hell_ for me. A slaughterhouse chainsaw swordfight featuring Saturday-matinee Western legend Rory Calhoun wearing a pig's head and a future cast member of Cheers as a hippie planted up to his neck out back plotting his zombie revenge while being fattened up by naso-gastric tube to be made into Cliff Jerky. Don't forget your cape!
Don't forget the guy from CHiPS, Paul Linke (aka Grossman)

The FFA horror thread has lots of good recommendations and reviews by various folks.  Here's a few off the top of my head that seem to be well received by most.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon 

Baskin 

It Follows 

Let the Right One In

Sinister

Hush

The Taking of Deborah Logan

We Are What We Are

[Rec]

Users who are viewing this thread