What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kevin White, NO (1 Viewer)

Gotta agree with georg here. Unless you are talking about Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, or some other "god-like" player, please refrain from using the term "transcendent".

"Elite" works just fine.
Okay but does it matter at all whether someone calls a player elite or transcendent? Really don't think it's worth wasting time on it and cluttering up 2 pages of White's board.

Gotta agree with georg here. Unless you are talking about Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, or some other "god-like" player, please refrain from using the term "transcendent".

"Elite" works just fine.
Okay but does it matter at all whether someone calls a player elite or transcendent? Really don't think it's worth wasting time on it and cluttering up 2 pages of White's board.
Fair point. Sorry.

I just think that the participation trophy generation throws around major accolades a little too easily these days. :D

georg013 said:
cmv5 said:
Thate a great point Sabertooth. Julio is not a transcedent talent. Everyone does not need to have Julio's measureables to be highly productive.
What exactly qualifies you as a transcendent talent? Julio Jones on a per game basis has to be up there with the very best.I am fine with comparisons and what not, but let's not be quick to dismiss Julio Jones when he just completed his 4th year in the league. The foot injury is the only thing that stopped him so far.
Transcedent talent means he is doing things no other receiver in the history of the game is doing. There is a difference between being elite and transcedent. Elite involves several other receivers. Transcedent is one of a kind. Julio Jones is not one of a kind.
So that makes who transcendent? Calvin would be the only one that comes to mind, even though Julio/Dez/DT/AJ all could do what Calvin does. Just that Calvin is older and did it first. The only WR's in history that I can think of that would be considered transcendent would be Jerry RIce and Randy Moss.
Don Hutson.

Back on the topic of White, he's got enough juice in the tank to be a very nice fantasy asset. I could see him being Jordy+ .

Rotoworld:

Kevin White - WR - Mountaineers

ESPN's Mike Sando says that it's exceedingly hard to find an adequate comparison for West Virginia WR Kevin White.

"There isn't much precedent for junior college transfers with White's physical ability breaking out the way he did this past season," he wrote. "Cordarrelle Patterson was one. The four other receivers on [Mel] Kiper's Big Board this year played between 37 to 41 games at the major college level, compared to 24 games for White." Those other receivers all had higher yards-per-catch averages and more receptions for first downs by percentage. A team in the top 10 is going to roll the dice on his athletic upside anyway.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 20 - 11:12 PM

I don't see the comparison at all. Beckham was a great route runner. That helped him early on. To me, for White to have early success he would need to be able to have the trust of his qb.

For some reason, more than any wr I can remember in a while, this guy is getting a free pass to elite status. Jordy+? That's a tall order. Jordy is again a guy who is in the right place. While his ceiling may be higher than guys like Cooper, getting to that ceiling could be quite elusive.

I don't see the comparison at all. Beckham was a great route runner. That helped him early on. To me, for White to have early success he would need to be able to have the trust of his qb.

For some reason, more than any wr I can remember in a while, this guy is getting a free pass to elite status. Jordy+? That's a tall order. Jordy is again a guy who is in the right place. While his ceiling may be higher than guys like Cooper, getting to that ceiling could be quite elusive.
I agree, people are failing to look at all the flaws in his game. It's moreso "he's tall and ran fast at the combine....I want him!" White doesn't play up to his size, loses contested receptions, isn't physical, and isn't a good route runner.

Beckham talk is ridiculous. I don't mind Jordy references - he could get there but he's not going to set the league on fire right away.

http://all22breakdown.com/?p=2878

Age Matters: Taking A Look At The NFL Draft
Amari Cooper will be the third youngest wide receiver drafted since 2010, and he has also posted a better final year of college than Mike Evans. As long as Cooper is selected fairly high in the draft next week, I believe Cooper will have a very productive career.

Kevin White on the other hand, will be the second oldest wide receiver drafted in the first round since 2010.

Rotoworld:

Bears first-round WR Kevin White is considered the favorite to start Week 1.

You don't use the No. 7 overall pick on a wideout to have him ride the pine. Especially when you have a clear-cut vacancy thanks to the Brandon Marshall trade. White immediately slots in as an every-down receiver ahead of both Marquess Wilson and Eddie Royal, bringing 1,000-yard upside in Year 1.

Related: Eddie Royal, Marquess Wilson

Source: ESPN.com
May 4 - 10:47 AM

http://all22breakdown.com/?p=2878

Age Matters: Taking A Look At The NFL Draft
Amari Cooper will be the third youngest wide receiver drafted since 2010, and he has also posted a better final year of college than Mike Evans. As long as Cooper is selected fairly high in the draft next week, I believe Cooper will have a very productive career.

Kevin White on the other hand, will be the second oldest wide receiver drafted in the first round since 2010.
Was the other Kelvin Benjamin?

cstu said:
http://all22breakdown.com/?p=2878Age Matters: Taking A Look At The NFL Draft

Yes. It's in the link.

cstu said:
http://all22breakdown.com/?p=2878Age Matters: Taking A Look At The NFL Draft

Yes. It's in the link.
Wikipedia has him listed as 22 and everyone seems to be using that. He is listed as 21 on the Bears website. Also 21 on MFL. It doesn't matter much either way, but the discrepancy is kind of strange for such a high profile prospect.

Kevin White Wiki

According to this White was born June 25, 1992 which makes him currently 22 years old. He would be 23 years old near the end of next month if this is correct. His rookie season would start at 23 years old.

Kevin White Wiki

According to this White was born June 25, 1992 which makes him currently 22 years old. He would be 23 years old near the end of next month if this is correct. His rookie season would start at 23 years old.
White is actually older than his teammate Marquess Wilson.
And Wilson still hasn't developed into a starting NFL WR. Age isn't everything, talent matters a lot more.

Kevin White Wiki

And Wilson still hasn't developed into a starting NFL WR. Age isn't everything, talent matters a lot more.
White hasn't either and could be getting doubled teamed as the #1 WR next year with no Cutler.

Kevin White Wiki

White hasn't either and could be getting doubled teamed as the #1 WR next year with no Cutler.
That's possible, but I'd be surprised if he overtakes Jeffery that quickly as the guy defenses are most afraid of. If he does, that's a good sign IMO.

White's last two games vs. top 20 teams:

#10 TCU - 3/28/0 (9.3 YPR)

#12 Kansas St.- 7/63/1 (9.0 YPR)

Kevin White Wiki

Nice! Good investigative work there. I have no idea why I even care about this, but here goes...he graduated from highschool in 2010, presumably at 18. Went to one year of community college, but sat out the second year. Then came back in 2012 for another year of CC. Then two years at WV. So yeah, 22, turning 23 makes sense.

Guess its time to start looking for trading partners. Seeing that he is so old. Once my receivers reach 23, its time to sell sell sell. Cant have declining athletes on my roster. Thanks for the work gentlemen.

Guess its time to start looking for trading partners. Seeing that he is so old. Once my receivers reach 23, its time to sell sell sell. Cant have declining athletes on my roster. Thanks for the work gentlemen.
It's not about him being old, it's about his development. He's one of the oldest rookies in the past two drafts (Benjamin, Lee, Martavis, and Paul Richardson are older) and still has work to do on on his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's less about White in particular and more about not trusting Wikipedia for accurate info. Cameron Artis-Payne's Wiki says he is 22. It's pretty widely known he is a very old rookie (25). He graduated highschool in 2008. But all of that is conveniently edited out of his bio, and it only mentions his two years at Auburn.

5 WR's have had over 70% of their college yards in the final year:

Patterson, Gordon, Devin Thomas, Greg Little, and Kevin White.

Devin Thomas comes the closest in terms of size and final year yards (1260 for Thomas vs 1447 for White).

I'm also concerned that White's numbers were exaggerated by the WVU offense that helped Stedman Bailey put up 114/1622/25.

IMO, White should be a late 1st pick rather than top 4 due to his risk.

Devin Thomas comes the closest in terms of size and final year yards (1260 for Thomas vs 1447 for White).

I'm also concerned that White's numbers were exaggerated by the WVU offense that helped Stedman Bailey put up 114/1622/25.

None of those other guys were valued as top-10 picks by the NFL. You've listed three 2nds rounders, a late 1st rounder who came out with questionable ball skills, and White, #7 overall.It's not the final word on the subject, but the NFL is pretty good at this draft thing, over time. Its a fairly efficient market.

Pedigree means something. All those guys were raw in one way or another. Only Gordon and White came out with good ball skills and contested catch ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't overthink it. Guy is big, fast, smooth, strong, and catches very well. Was a top 10 pick for a reason.

I think he will be good barring injury. Mix of Hopkins, Julio, and Fitz.

Lol at some of the conspiracy theories in here. Dont buy him if you are concerned. Those who are buying dont give two damns when his production came or how old he is as a rookie. We like what we saw (as did the NFL Bears) and took him. Cant wait to see him play.

It's official. Called my shot on White back on September 30th.

ConnSKINS26 said:
14 team Devy league, TE premium, start minimum 1 RB

Gave:

T.J. Yeldon

Stefon Diggs

Bryce Brown

3rd round rookie pick

Got:

Likely 1.01 (devy-weakened) rookie pick

Owen Daniels

This pick is nearly guaranteed to be the 1.01. The normal devy names are missing, it's a one round devy draft, everyone eligible.

Obviously it would be risky to plug in a name at that pick in September, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't imagine this pick being Kevin White right now.

I think having the 1.01 gives me more options and flexibility than holding Yeldon/Diggs and hoping they end up as 1st round rookie prospects.
Used the 1.01 on White today. Feel very good about it.

None of those other guys were valued as top-10 picks by the NFL. You've listed three 2nds rounders, a late 1st rounder who came out with questionable ball skills, and White, #7 overall.It's not the final word on the subject, but the NFL is pretty good at this draft thing, over time. Its a fairly efficient market.

Pedigree means something. All those guys were raw in one way or another. Only Gordon and White came out with good ball skills and contested catch ability.

Drafting a 22-year-old, one-year wonder WR who did not significantly dominate his own team's receiving in the top 10 is not what I call efficient. Not when a somewhat similar player in Breshad Perriman could put up the same production at a cheaper draft slot.

The only takeaway I get from White's draft slot is that he will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail.

I put a ton of stock into where guys are drafted by their NFL teams. I figure they are better scouts than I am and over the long run I think if you deviate too far from the order guys were drafted in (vs. other guys at their position), you probably come out behind. So I think you have to put him in the top 4 of dynasty rookie rankings based on his going #7 overall. Someone in each league will like him and he'll go that high.

That being said, I don't think he's a guy I will have on any of my teams due to the reasons you listed. I find a lot of that stuff persuasive and especially the fact that I just don't trust any stats put up in the WVU offense. There are a lot of top guys who I think if they got almost constant single coverage out wide against B12 CBs in that system, would put up similar or better numbers.

Luckily, I'm not sitting at 4 in any drafts and if I was, I'd be trying to trade down if he was there when I was on the clock. Maybe that's a copout. I can't really justify drafting Agholor or Parker over him and won't rank them ahead of him either. But I'd prefer to trade down and draft a guy I'm more excited about.

Users who are viewing this thread