What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kevin White, NO (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Bears rookie WR Kevin White (shin) insisted Friday that he is not dealing with a stress fracture.

The Bears seem to be pushing that White's injury is only a severe case of shin splits, even though it's lingered on for over six weeks. A stress fracture would've been the worst case scenario. Still, this seems like an injury White could continue to battle into the season, even if he's active on game days. We're continuing to shy away from White as more than a WR4/5.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter
Aug 14 - 6:21 PM

This guy reporting the opposite on the stress fracture:

John Mullin ‏@CSNMoonMullin 5m5 minutes ago

#Bears Kevin White stress fracture. Hoped to heal. But last week setback , will have surgery

Bears GM Ryan Pace said WR Kevin White will have a rod inserted into his tibia in his surgery .

Bears rookie Kevin White may miss the entire season, suffered a stress fracture and will have surgery.....

not looking good for white. he's old for a rookie. already behind and needs to learn how to play wr at the nfl level. missing a year really sets him back.

wow, bummer, my rebuilding plans (and da Bears) are set back. The way this is trending it'll be career threatening. Severe shin problems could be the end.

We've already beaten the age issue to death. Even the most staunched defenders of Kevin White concede the point. Tack on another year and wear and tear and the issue becomes glaring .

Some of the jump to conclusions here is pretty cloudy. Age 23 is on the old side for rookies most likely to become superstars - they usually break out earlier in college and so turn pro earlier than that (although clearly not always). Its all trends. I think the JUCO route explains why White would likely take longer to have a college breakout year and that sets him apart from guys who broke out year 3 at an SEC school, but that's opinion. There is no data on how a JUCO start impacts these situations that I have ever heard of.

White will miss this year and so have a later NFL start, which hurts his owners this year and him as it effects his learning curve. But so did Clowney. So will Fowler. This has nothing to do with the significance of being older when turning pro lessoning his chance for greatness. The data doesn't say that you will have a lesser career because you start it later, but that you will likely have a lesser career because you weren't amazing enough early in college to turn pro at 21 or 22. He's the same guy with the same potential quality of career as he was yesterday - his career will just be a year shorter.

Its just sloppy and not thought through to say that him being a year older magnifies the significance of age and makes him even less likely to reach elite status. His chance of that, good or bad, remains the same as it was. He will just be whoever he is going to be, but starting next year instead of this.

• Smile
Reactions: rct
This will surely drop him out of the top 5 in rookie drafts.
I had him at #1 in the offseason, but now you have a tricky decision with him. I think it makes sense to rank him below Gurley, Cooper, and Gordon, if only because those guys will have an earlier opportunity to boost their stock. How far do you drop him though? I'm a big Abdullah fan and would probably take him over White now. I think he'll have a big rookie year. That will likely propel him above White unless White comes back very strong at the end of the season. That would put White at the #5 slot. I like Dorsett, but probably wouldn't take him over White. I'm not high enough on Perriman, Parker, or Yeldon to take any of them over White, even if White were sidelined for the whole year. So I guess he's my #5 rookie now.

I had Demaryius Thomas on a couple of my teams when he popped his Achilles, and I didn't panic sell. I'm really glad that I stuck with him. In the grand scheme of things, one year doesn't matter much as long as the guy makes a 100% recovery. That's the big question here.

Either way he is essentially missing one prime year because of this. Its not like he will come into next season as good as if he were to play this year. He will be a rookie all over again.

There is definite value lost in losing an entire year of his prime.

That said, just depends how much you like him over the rest. He is still in play at 4, and i wouldnt fault anyone for taking him there.

I had him at #1 in the offseason, but now you have a tricky decision with him. I think it makes sense to rank him below Gurley, Cooper, and Gordon, if only because those guys will have an earlier opportunity to boost their stock. How far do you drop him though? I'm a big Abdullah fan and would probably take him over White now. I think he'll have a big rookie year. That will likely propel him above White unless White comes back very strong at the end of the season. That would put White at the #5 slot. I like Dorsett, but probably wouldn't take him over White. I'm not high enough on Perriman, Parker, or Yeldon to take any of them over White, even if White were sidelined for the whole year. So I guess he's my #5 rookie now.

I had Demaryius Thomas on a couple of my teams when he popped his Achilles, and I didn't panic sell. I'm really glad that I stuck with him. In the grand scheme of things, one year doesn't matter much as long as the guy makes a 100% recovery. That's the big question here.
Most people weren't that high on him to start. He was most people's 4th or 5th rated prospect. He's probably going to drop to 8th or 9th overall in most drafts. I agree with your overall assessment though.

I liked Parker more before the injury now IMO he's not close to Gurley Gordon Cooper or Parker. He'd be a toss up between he and DGB as neither will play much this year but I like DGB more talent wise.

He was never close to #1 for me. That crazy talk

Moving Parker ahead of him I can see. Agholor may move up as well, due to the more immediate production prospect, but I still think his ceiling is lower than White.

I'm interested in whether people will bump Perriman or DGB ahead of him. I haven't sorted out how I'd rank that tier, but will enjoy watching ADP shifts in the next week or two.

Right now today, I'd go

Cooper

Parker

Agholor

Perriman or White

Dorsett

Funchess

Montgomery

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabertooth said:
Right now today, I'd go

Cooper

Parker

Agholor

Perriman or White

Dorsett

Funchess

Montgomery
I think I'd still have Parker up there ahead of your White/Perriman group. And I can't fathom him falling behind Montgomery. Forget about him?

Curious if anyone tried to buy from a frustrated owner... Tricky propositions in these situations given the owner was likely very excited, but sometimes they're ready to punt.

I snagged him at #10 in my dynasty rookie/FA draft. First round is below in case anyone is interested.

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Gordon

4. Parker

5. Abdullah

6. Yeldon

7. Perriman

8. Agholor

9. Sam Bradford

10. White

11. Coleman

12. Funchess

I snagged him at #10 in my dynasty rookie/FA draft. First round is below in case anyone is interested.

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Gordon

4. Parker

5. Abdullah

6. Yeldon

7. Perriman

8. Agholor

9. Sam Bradford

10. White

11. Coleman

12. Funchess
Thanks for posting this.

Curious if anyone tried to buy from a frustrated owner... Tricky propositions in these situations given the owner was likely very excited, but sometimes they're ready to punt.
Someone tried to get him from me, but I don't sell low on a guy I draft that high. There really is no point unless I was 1 player away from a sure-fire championship.

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Gordon

4. Parker

5. Abdullah

6. Yeldon

7. Perriman

8. Agholor

9. Sam Bradford

10. White

11. Coleman

12. Funchess
Stole White there. He's still a top5 player, just the wait becomes longer for his owners to see him in action.

Someone tried to get him from me, but I don't sell low on a guy I draft that high. There really is no point unless I was 1 player away from a sure-fire championship.

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Gordon

4. Parker

5. Abdullah

6. Yeldon

7. Perriman

8. Agholor

9. Sam Bradford

10. White

11. Coleman

12. Funchess
Stole White there. He's still a top5 player, just the wait becomes longer for his owners to see him in action.
I can understand everyone except Bradford

Rotoworld:

Bears first-round pick Kevin White underwent surgery Sunday to repair the stress fracture in his left shin.

The Bears have openly acknowledged that White's injury could cost him his entire rookie year. At minimum, White will miss the first six games on the reserve/PUP list. The team still has not provided a concrete return timetable.

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Gordon

4. Parker

5. Abdullah

6. Yeldon

7. Perriman

8. Agholor

9. Sam Bradford

10. White

11. Coleman

12. Funchess
Yea, that's nice value IMO. Yeldon over White is a really big stretch.

Assuming that White can make a 100% recovery, he could make an earlier impact than guys like Perriman and Parker regardless of missing a year because he brings a stronger set of skills to the table (at least based on what I saw from them in college).

Great news, I really hope he plays this year. I'd like to see him in action before next year.

I don't think that's very important to most owners. They just want to see him get on the field, get into the action, see some game speed, and begin understanding the different environment. 6 weeks of active gameplay would be a hugs boost to the learning curve.

If he really returns week 10 or 11, he could be very relevant for the FF playoffs. Kid is that talented & Chicago could be throwing that much!

I don't think that's very important to most owners. They just want to see him get on the field, get into the action, see some game speed, and begin understanding the different environment. 6 weeks of active gameplay would be a hugs boost to the learning curve.
Absolutely. It would not only give us a chance to get a look at our investment in an actual NFL setting, but also give him an opportunity to get acclimated with the demands of the pro game, which should give him a better chance of a flying start in 2016 than if he were just coming in dry. I've got this guy on several of my teams and I think this is very good news. I hope he can at least be active for 3-4 games just to get some seasoning.

EBF said:
Absolutely. It would not only give us a chance to get a look at our investment in an actual NFL setting, but also give him an opportunity to get acclimated with the demands of the pro game, which should give him a better chance of a flying start in 2016 than if he were just coming in dry. I've got this guy on several of my teams and I think this is very good news. I hope he can at least be active for 3-4 games just to get some seasoning.
^^^^^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread