Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Devin Funchess, Colts

Rotoworld:

Devin Funchess - WR - Wolverines

Per Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess possesses "neither the radical size advantage to outmuscle corners nor the quickness to consistently beat linebackers.""To top it off, he showed very little promise as a run-blocker," Renner wrote. "This means Funchess is likely limited to a 'big slot' role like Marques Colston. However, playing the slot requires a certain level of consistency that Funchess simply doesn't possess yet, and he'll have to improve in that area." The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess (38.5-inch vertical leap), who ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day, had a poor 8.8 percent drop rate (8.3 percent was the NCAA average) and wasn't nearly as good as you'd expect in contested situations.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 26 - 10:25 PM

Blocking, or learning to block, is mainly about effort and dedication. This guy should apply himself so that he can play a move TE role in the NFL.

I get a gnawing feeling that this guy is going to wreck some fantasy drafts. THis is going to be one where some people knock a homer and others completely whiff depending on how it plays out.

This reminds me of Benjamin from last year, but I have no idea if he will pan out or not.

Rotoworld:

Devin Funchess - WR - Panthers

Panthers traded up to draft Michigan WR Devin Funchess with the No. 41 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

The Panthers gave picks 57, 89 and 201 to the Rams for the right to move up 16 spots. Funchess (6'4/232) shuttled between tight end and receiver at Michigan, parlaying 126 grabs into 1,715 yards (13.6 YPR) with 15 TDs. Long armed (33 1/2") and exceptionally young for a rookie, Funchess won't turn 21 until May 21. Funchess has drawn Kelvin Benjamin comparisons, but on the field lacks Benjamin's aggressive "my-ball" mentality, instead showing passivity and a frustratingly low football IQ. He displayed zero run-after-catch ability in 2014, frequently getting ankle tackled by sub-200-pound defensive backs. Funchess is an enigma, albeit one with upside from a size-athleticism standpoint. He ran 4.47/4.53 at the Wolverines' Pro Day and has a 38 1/2-inch vertical.

May 1 - 7:49 PM

Don't worry Panthers fans - Xue will be in here to tell you what a great trade it was.

Edited by cstu

This reminds me of Benjamin from last year, but I have no idea if he will pan out or not.

Good call, same comparison I made. Saw him solidly in between Benjamin and Jeffery.

• Like 1

9(41)

Panthers (from Rams)

Funchess, Devin

TE

6'4"

Michigan

9(41) Panthers (from Rams) Funchess, Devin TE 6'4" 232 Michigan 5.5

Say it ain't so!!!

I thought this guy was a TE BigTex?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article20057205.html

“He plays fast. He’s a smooth, fluid big man,” Gettleman said. “We really like that about him.”

Like everyone else, Panthers coach Ron Rivera heard the concerns about Funchess’ speed. Then Rivera turned on the tape and saw Funchess making tough catches over the middle, as well as beating defensive backs deep.

“You see a couple things that tell you this kid is a little bit different. He makes catches in traffic. He presents a big target in traffic and takes a lot of big shots, similar to what Kelvin does,” Rivera said. “And then you watch him go vertical, which was surprising. I was like, ‘Wait a minute, I thought people talked about he was not a vertical threat.’ He was a vertical threat.”

Rivera said the potential Benjamin-Funchess pairing reminds him of the Chargers’ big receiver tandem of Malcom Floyd and Vincent Jackson when Rivera was in San Diego.

Edited by Xue

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/594293682192437248

Gettleman calls Funchess a "very smart kid." Knew the blocking schemes when they had him in for a visit at the white board.

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/594294289825337344

Funchess played tight end early in his career at Michigan, but GM Dave Gettleman views him exclusively as a wide receiver. #PanthersDraft

https://twitter.com/PanthersMax/status/594293727520161792

Gettleman said offensive coaches were very impressed with Funchess' ability on the board during his visit to Carolina.

https://twitter.com/PanthersMax/status/594304339591565312

Funchess says he is healthy and ready to go after suffering toe injury last year. No surgery needed.

not a fan of the trade from the perspective of value for the Panthers.

but Carolina is one of his better potential landing spots. He could do very well there as Cam's #3 passing option.

Funchess has to play WR in Car. There is no way he goes to TE with Olsen there.

I hate Car gave up so much to move up and get him. I don't like the paring of him with Benjamin, they seem too similar. What I wanted to see was a speed guy who could get deep and stretch. I guess Ginn is going to be that guy, maybe Hill? Ginn did well he last year in Car.

The dye has been cast that Cam needs big bodied players to throw to. He's not accurate and misses high a lot.

Edited by jurb26

Funchess has to play WR in Car. There is no way he goes to TE with Olsen there.

I hate Car gave up so much to move up and get him. I don't like the paring of him with Benjamin, they seem too similar. What I wanted to see was a speed guy who could get deep and stretch. I guess Ginn is going to be that guy, maybe Hill? Ginn did well he last year in Car.

The dye has been cast that Cam needs big bodied players to throw to. He's not accurate and misses high a lot.

NFL.com says Funchess is a TE.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-funchess?id=2552458

ETA: Missed the link above.

Edited by Mister CIA

but Carolina is one of his better potential landing spots. He could do very well there as Cam's #3 passing option.

Lots of criticism for Gettleman right now similar to this. I think some are missing that Panthers had 9 picks and a roster good enough they could not fit 9 rookies. No doubt they overpayed to move up, but Cleveland was rumored to be selecting Funchess at 43 and traded out when he went off the board. Losing a 3rd round pick is somewhat mitigated because they could throw in extra picks in a later trade to move up to get who they wanted in that range - which they did at the top of the 4th with the Daryl Williams selection.

If you look at Gettleman's comments I think they were going for a specific scheme fit - a big catch radius that can create vertical separation. Considering the personnel with Olsen Benjamin Cam it makes sense. Gettleman is big on being able to help early on and theoretically Funchess could do that in his vertical role.

Lots of criticism for Gettleman right now similar to this. I think some are missing that Panthers had 9 picks and a roster good enough they could not fit 9 rookies. No doubt they overpayed to move up, but Cleveland was rumored to be selecting Funchess at 43 and traded out when he went off the board. Losing a 3rd round pick is somewhat mitigated because they could throw in extra picks in a later trade to move up to get who they wanted in that range - which they did at the top of the 4th with the Daryl Williams selection.

If you look at Gettleman's comments I think they were going for a specific scheme fit - a big catch radius that can create vertical separation. Considering the personnel with Olsen Benjamin Cam it makes sense. Gettleman is big on being able to help early on and theoretically Funchess could do that in his vertical role.

Oh, the deals make sense for the team, I'm just questioning the value. But if that's what they had to pay and would have lost out on the guy they wanted, then it makes sense.

My real point is I like the pick more for his value than for the team.

https://twitter.com/Kroeger/status/595208882940698624

Gettleman on Funchess: "He's different than Kelvin, he's not Kelvin. He's more fluid. He's really fluid for a big guy and he plays faster."

Yes, seems to be lots of disagreement on his playing speed. I think his 40 time threw people off. The tape shows he can get separation vertically and also in short areas.

A Josh Norris quote on him...

Funchess can be a lethal vertical receiver, thanks to his downfield speed and potential catch radius. He might not be quite as consistent Benjamin on 50/50 balls, however, Funchess is better in the short to intermediate areas and after the catch.

Gettleman on Funchess: "He's different than Kelvin, he's not Kelvin. He's more fluid. He's really fluid for a big guy and he plays faster."

Yes, seems to be lots of disagreement on his playing speed. I think his 40 time threw people off. The tape shows he can get separation vertically and also in short areas.

Funchess can be a lethal vertical receiver, thanks to his downfield speed and potential catch radius. He might not be quite as consistent Benjamin on 50/50 balls, however, Funchess is better in the short to intermediate areas and after the catch.

He doesn't play fast. He wins with physicality, solid routes and good change of direction.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/05/03/michigan-nfl-draft-picks/26848113/

In Carolina, coach Ron Rivera, on Funchess, whose whiteboard knowledge was impressive: "Devin's able to talk about the whole offense. He talks about the offensive line, running backs, tight ends, then talks about what the receiver was doing. His recall was very good. … He was one of the guys that was really outstanding. He did a very nice job with his recall, did a very nice job talking about certain plays. We're not saying this guy's a great athlete. We're trying to find out what kind of mental athlete he is as well. … Guys like that get on the field sooner."

• Like 1

He doesn't play fast. He wins with physicality, solid routes and good change of direction.

Well there are some people that think the tape shows that he does create vertical separation with his speed (ie Josh Norris, Gettleman)

Bloom seems split on Funchess too. He had him in his "undecided" range predraft. Post draft he moved him up to 19th explaining that Carolina doesn't have room for multiple FF WR2s. Short term I agree with that. Long term, I think Funchess vertical role in a potentially budding Cam pass offense is somewhat intriguing. The overwhelming consensus of the FF draftniks seems to be a lot of negativity.

In summary:

Some tape disagreement

Measurables disagreement with the combine vs proday difference of his 40 time

Some disagreement on the intangibles

Very little pre draft buzz vs lots of draft day buzz with the trade up

A very young player

Maybe some disagreement on the potential of this offense

All in all a very polarizing dynasty add that could be had in the 15-25 range

Maybe they put him at tight end and use him like jimmy and pay him less if he does good. Doubt it but I'm also intrigued if he will be listed as Wr/te on sites. Maybe a Colston first year advantage?

Really odd player. Seems to be under the radar, whether that is for reason or not.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Strickly-Panthers-Dissecting-the-draft/b33262b8-b852-4f7e-8215-ff3a2c15c274

WIDE RECEIVER

Second-round selection

Devin Funchessicon-article-link.gif offers a sizable bookend for 2014 first-rounder Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif, and head coach Ron Rivera said Funchess is capable of playing all three receiver positions. Funchess is expected to battle for a starting spot right along with a long list of suitors.

The Panthers had just four receivers – Benjamin, Jerricho Cotcheryicon-article-link.gif, Corey Brownicon-article-link.gif and Brenton Bersinicon-article-link.gif - on their 53-man roster at the end of last season, and they've most notably added Funchess and Ted Ginn, Jr.icon-article-link.gif But that only accounts for half of the dozen receivers on the roster with the pending addition of undrafted rookie speedster Damiere Byrd.

Funchess has a lot to learn but also a lot to offer. He's a student of the game that comes equipped with attributes that can't be taught: He's 6-4 and despite some dissenting opinions on his speed, he recently ran a sub-4.50 and more importantly plays fast according to general manager Dave Gettleman.

Rotoworld:

Devin Funchess - WR - Wolverines

Per Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess possesses "neither the radical size advantage to outmuscle corners nor the quickness to consistently beat linebackers.""To top it off, he showed very little promise as a run-blocker," Renner wrote. "This means Funchess is likely limited to a 'big slot' role like Marques Colston. However, playing the slot requires a certain level of consistency that Funchess simply doesn't possess yet, and he'll have to improve in that area." The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess (38.5-inch vertical leap), who ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day, had a poor 8.8 percent drop rate (8.3 percent was the NCAA average) and wasn't nearly as good as you'd expect in contested situations.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 26 - 10:25 PM

Blocking, or learning to block, is mainly about effort and dedication. This guy should apply himself so that he can play a move TE role in the NFL.

I don't know about that. We saw what happens to a move TE when they hit FA at the very pinnacle of the game. If I were him, I'd make every effort to be classified as a WR right out of the gate.

Agreed. He did not move from TE to WR in college because he was not performing well as a TE and needed a boost. He switched because he wanted be drafted as a WR in the NFL and Michigan had no better receivers anyhow.

He played better as TE, and it's not like Michigan had better blocking at TE after he moved to WR. They were generally lacking in all directions.

Edited by *****

WR is certainly more valuable to him in general but he could also make bank if he was a mismatch TE, similar to Aaron Hernandez.

Either way, the talent is there. The concerns are well-documented but some of the highlights may be under documented. By all accounts of what I read (I don't know, of course), it appears he is very knowledgeable of how the entire offense choreographs together. If true (maybe a Michigan fan can elaborate), I like that very much because it tells me that mentally he can be put into those multitudes of formations and allowed to just go out there and do what he does physically on the field.

I always think that is a HUGE part of an athlete taking the steps to being successful in the NFL. It's 90% from the neck up at this point. Everyone can run and jump and do all that, but when a guy is confident that he is in the right place, doing the right things, he can really just go play ball.

I also like the Funchess pick because he lands in a situation where if anything forces Benjamin OR Olsen to miss time, the automatic replacement is right there without skipping a beat. I think as the off-season goes on, Funchess will be a player that creeps up rookie draft boards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/168583/devin-funchess-others-stand-out-in-panthers-rookie-minicamp

Second-round draft pick Devin Funchess – now listed at 6-foot-4 instead of 6-5 – is the real deal. The former Michigan wide receiver lined up at all three receiver positions during the first on-field workout and looked smooth, particularly out of the slot. He definitely has the potential to create mismatches with 6-5 Kelvin Benjamin, Carolina’s first-round draft pick in 2014, on the field. He has good hands and runs solid routes underneath. I can see why the Panthers were willing to trade up to get him.

http://blackandbluereview.com/observations-panthers-first-rookie-minicamp-session/

• Second-round WR Devin Funchess was the most intriguing player on the field. People have compared the 6-foot-4 wideout to Kelvin Benjamin, but their height seems to be the only true similarity. Funchess isn’t nearly as thick as the imposing Benjamin. Yet Funchess appears more fluid, quicker, and the Panthers were already lining him up at all three receiver spots.
Edited by Xue

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150508/WIRE/150509703/1051/news01?p=1&tc=pg

The Panthers plan to use Funchess quite a bit this season because of his versatility.

One of the reasons they moved up 16 spots in the second round to draft the Michigan wideout is because of his high football IQ and potential to play all three of Carolina’s wide receiver positions.

On Friday, Funchess lined up all over the field and Rivera said offensive coordinator Mike Shula purposely designed passes meant to go to Funchess.

“That is one of the things we really liked about him — how quickly he grasped what we do,” Rivera said in reference to the team’s pre-draft meeting with Funchess. “Knowing that he was able to regurgitate the three different wide receiver positions we have gave us a lot of confidence in who he is.”

Funchess said recalling three different positions is “pretty simple” for him.

“I’m used to it from being back at school and being the mismatch,” Funchess said of playing at Michigan.

What are the chances the Panthers will give him a TE designation?

The same chances as Marques Colston and Jordan Matthews.

I think he's WR all the way as well. This is shaping up like Tamp North in terms of wideouts.

I like the pick for Carolina. I don't know about trading up, but he's the type of guy they need. Let's be honest, Cam isn't throwing darts out there so anyone with reach is going to help.

If you're accurate like Luck, you can get away with all your WRs being munchkins, but a couple of 6'5" and over guys will do well for Cam.

• Like 1

I like the pick for Carolina. I don't know about trading up, but he's the type of guy they need. Let's be honest, Cam isn't throwing darts out there so anyone with reach is going to help.

If you're accurate like Luck, you can get away with all your WRs being munchkins, but a couple of 6'5" and over guys will do well for Cam.

Agreed. With the way he sails passes due to nerves the 4 combo of Bemjami, Funchess, Olsen, and Dickerson should help considerably. If he sails over those guys at least it won't be an interception because the trajectory means it is headed out the back of the endzone.....

Why? What's the big difference? I have them in a dead heat. DGB just has Josh Gordon written all over him.

- It's a good real-life trade for the Panthers - they add a decent WR and the last guy on the board that fitted in their system

- Fanatsy upside seems limited by Kelvin's presence

- Presents largest value for Kelvin owners as a natural handcuff - i.e., his targets would go up dramatically if Kelvin gets hurt

well year 1 on Yahoo leagues Colston famously had a TE/WR designation. I don't think tha MFL allows for multiple positions

well year 1 on Yahoo leagues Colston famously had a TE/WR designation. I don't think tha MFL allows for multiple positions

Im not saying multiple designations, Im talking the team itself classifying him as a TE with him playing in the slot its more possible then not at all for the team to slide him in tighter to the line because of his size. Mot to block or anything but that would classify him as a TE. If we saw anything with Graham, giving him TE designation can save them money in the future.