Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Devin Funchess, Colts

No clue on him - but the "floor" on a rookie WR is always pretty low, regardless. No way his floor is a #3 - his floor is probably 150yd, 1 TD.

This is true, but he has a chance to take the job and run with it. Carolina has NOTHING at wr.

I don't see how you set the floor for any starter at 150/1 unless you expect them to get killed after a game or two.

Are you projecting Funchess might not crack Carolina's starting lineup?

He seems to get nicked a lot, but if he can stay healthy I think he has the athleticism to become a real good WR. He reminds me a lot of TO.

Kelvin Benjamin exceeded expectations in pretty much the exact same role last year.

This year? Funchess has the opportunity now, I expect him to fair not quiet as well as Kelvin, but then again Cam Newton is a lot healthier this year.

Edited by bicycle_seat_sniffer

I see a lot of Anquan Boldin in him for some reason. I know that's not a natural comparison to make but there is something about him that makes me think he could have a very good year, in real life and fantasy. I don't think he can be Benjamin last year unless he's hiding a game gear I've never seen but who knows?

He is in a tremendous situation and confidence could do A LOT for him. One thing I keep thinking of is that this is a guy who could have realistically been designated as a TE. So while I know he's probably not blowing by great CBs in this league, I also know if he gets really good really fast at using his body to block out CBs, he is going to have some good broken plays and that is what takes a solid FF year and makes it a monster. It's those weeks when a guy pops up with 23=26 points 3-4 times during the year and really pushes your team up.

KB's strength is/was beating CBs off the line with strength + explosiveness and having a my ball mentality

Both of those things are arguably very important for rookies to be good at for immediate success as a WR1. Both of those things are weaknesses to Funchess game right now.

I do think Panthers are aware of this and are attempting to get him to learn to play big quickly but it will be tough. I could see a situation where he catches on late in the season.

• Like 1

I don't see how you set the floor for any starter at 150/1 unless you expect them to get killed after a game or two.

Are you projecting Funchess might not crack Carolina's starting lineup?

It's possible, no? I'm not saying he's likely to get that low, but it's probably his floor. Which is, by definition, one of the least likely scenarios.

I see a lot of Anquan Boldin in him for some reason. I know that's not a natural comparison to make but there is something about him that makes me think he could have a very good year, in real life and fantasy. I don't think he can be Benjamin last year unless he's hiding a game gear I've never seen but who knows?

He is in a tremendous situation and confidence could do A LOT for him. One thing I keep thinking of is that this is a guy who could have realistically been designated as a TE. So while I know he's probably not blowing by great CBs in this league, I also know if he gets really good really fast at using his body to block out CBs, he is going to have some good broken plays and that is what takes a solid FF year and makes it a monster. It's those weeks when a guy pops up with 23=26 points 3-4 times during the year and really pushes your team up.

I don't like that comparison. Maybe Big Mike Williams.

If you are looking for a Boldin, look at Montgomery or Smelter.

Rotoworld:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera made it clear Monday that rookie Devin Funchess has not yet earned a starting job.

Funchess is presumably the current No. 3 after missing most of training camp and the preseason with a hamstring injury. He's healthy and practicing, but is behind Ted Ginn and Corey "Philly" Brown on the depth chart. The Panthers' wide receiver corps is a situation to avoid early on in fantasy leagues.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter

Sep 7 - 1:58 PM

Rotoworld:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera says rookie WR Devin Funchess will get more opportunities to "make plays" in the absence of Jerricho Cotchery (high-ankle sprain).

"Those young guys really have good opportunities to make some plays," Rivera said Thursday. "It’ll be good to see those guys make plays. I think they’ve got that kind of ability." The "those guys" Rivera is referring to are Funchess and Kevin Norwood. Funchess has played just 64-of-149 snaps through the Panthers' first two games, turning seven targets into two catches for 24 yards. We're not expecting any Week 3 miracles.
Sep 24 - 7:18 PM

seeing how he is struggling makes you realize just how special of a season Kelvin Benjamin had last year as a rookie

I like to look at it the other way. Seeing how receivers are starting to dominate at a younger and younger age. I think that tells us how bad Funchess is, there is nothing standing in his way from being a starting receiver and putting up average numbers and he still can't. I am not expecting OBJ out of him or even Benjamin, but he should be well on his way to a 750 yard season and 4+ touchdowns. It is early though

The Panthers play a soft defense this weekend. Maybe he will show something.

I've never been that high on funchess as a NFL receiver but he is only 21 compared to Benjamin who was nearly 24 as a rookie

Edited by cstu

Drops have to stop. He had problems with drops in college. Now he's having problems with them in the NFL. 3 drops vs. Sea.

Feel like I missed the boat on this one and it's head scratching to figure out why. I know his reported issues coming from college but, honestly, any above average talent should be able to hold down a steady production gig on this team right now. I mean, if this was Eric Decker or Anquan Boldin or a guy like Allen Hurns or Travis Benjamin, I think any of those guys would be every week wr2/3 guys with upside.

Then again, it is not like he's the only one this ever happened to. Look at Terrance Williams in Dallas. There are times when this guy looks like he could be an every week WR but without Dez, even when Romo was still there, he didn't jump up.

Was last week a sign of him starting to get it or just an aberration? Either way he was on my wire and there are worse options out there.

Was last week a sign of him starting to get it or just an aberration? Either way he was on my wire and there are worse options out there.

This is what Rivera had to say...

"It just means that we can have that big presence that we are missing right now. I think it was a big step for Devin, I really do. It’s going to be a big boost for his confidence and a huge boost for Cam Newton’s confidence in him as well as Mike Shula (offensive coordinator). One of the things that Mike is always looking for is guys who can make plays so he can call their number. It works twofold and that’s what it’s going to do for him and us."

Ugh I'm in a spot where I need to flex funch, Aiken, or clay

This guy gonna go off this week or nah

I would think Aiken would get a lot of targets with Smith out for the year.

Ugh I'm in a spot where I need to flex funch, Aiken, or clay

This guy gonna go off this week or nah

I would think Aiken would get a lot of targets with Smith out for the year.

Aiken is the guy here. Wrong forum but right answer.

Next Gen Stats: Slow WRs behind Packers' woes

Excerpt:

4. The undefeated Panthers aren't about to veer from own run-dominant philosophy, but they are making a subtle change to their come-and-go aerial attack. Rookie Devin Funchess' role is steadily growing, providing Cam Newton with a bigger strike zone down the field. After hauling in three passes for a season-high 71 yards and a touchdown in Week 9, Funchess didn't rank fourth among Panthers receivers in playing time for the first time in Week 10. In fact, Funchess has taken over as the receiver of choice in jumbo packages, playing 12 of the 13 snaps with just one wideout on the field.

Flexing him in .5 ppr due to byes. Baldwin would be the only other option really. Or reed but I don't love that.

Picked him up again just because there was no one else.

Flexing him in .5 ppr due to byes. Baldwin would be the only other option really. Or reed but I don't love that.

Reed as in Jordan Reed? Don't get me wrong, Funchess is talented and the Redskins D is one that could let him make some big plays...but Reed seems like the obviously better play here.

Reed as in Jordan Reed? Don't get me wrong, Funchess is talented and the Redskins D is one that could let him make some big plays...but Reed seems like the obviously better play here.

You're right. I was being silly.

Ugh. Have to start him with Emmanuel out, Edelman down, and DeAngelo on a bye. :bag:

Nice desperation start. I threw a couple of them out there this week. Givens, Funchess and Rawls. Working out so far.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/684002057376903168

Top rookie WR grades in second half of season: Tyler Lockett +7.6 DeVante Parker +4.4 Devin Funchess +3.9 Jaelen Strong +2.2

https://twitter.com/heathcummingssr/status/684098598515118080

Rookie WR, Fantasy points per target:

Lockett 1.51

Parker 1.35

Funchess 1.23

DGB 1.18

Diggs 1.16

Cooper 1.10

i sold one share of him during the year and still have a couple more. I like (don't love) his short term situation. With Benjamin coming back and Olsen still producing, it may take a couple years for him to get his targets. But he is still so young, has talent and improved as the season went on. Maybe a WR3 next year?

i sold one share of him during the year and still have a couple more. I like (don't love) his short term situation. With Benjamin coming back and Olsen still producing, it may take a couple years for him to get his targets. But he is still so young, has talent and improved as the season went on. Maybe a WR3 next year?

Brown, Cotchery and Ginn can easily lose targets. I still don't see Funchess as any more than a WR3 just because this isn't a prolific passing offense. They have a 27 game 100 yard rushing streak and Cam scores a lot running.

Cam hasn't had more than 500 passes since 2011. 500/16 is 31.25 attempts a game.

Olsen got 124, 123, 111 and 104. So i'll pencil in 115 next year

Benjamin was force fed 145 two years ago. Not comfortable with that amount next year. Say 120.

Ginn got 97 this year. I have no idea what his contract status is, but I think he brings something the others don't... take the top off speed. Maybe Brown, too?

I have a hard time seeing Funchess getting 80+ targets next year baring injury.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said sophomore WR Devin Funchess is "light years" ahead of where he was as a rookie.

A hamstring injury stunted Funchess' development in camp last season and prevented him from playing an early-season role despite the absence of Kelvin Benjamin (ACL). Benjamin is back this year, but there is still an opportunity for Funchess to take on a bigger role with Ted Ginn likely to take a step back and Jerricho Cotchery no longer around. He is a solid upside pick late in drafts.

Jun 7 - 11:21 AM

In 4 games of 6 or more targets, Devin Funchess YPT was 8.2. In the other 12 games: 6.9.

According to this metric, Devin Funchess was the 21st most efficient WR last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/fantasy-introducing-wide-receiver-efficiency-rating/

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/06/15/carolina-panthers-minicamp-review-day-2/

Devin Funchess looked like a man among boys again today while facing the Panthers secondary. In the best play of the game, Funchess did a spin move to break free from Daryl Worley, then caught a bullet from Cam Newton effortlessly for a would be touchdown. Devin Funchess may be the best receiver on the field, even when Benjamin is healthy.

I figured the post here would be about that quote. He's been very impressive in camp. As weird as it sounds, the WR crew appears to be a strength of the team now. Such a huge turn around from when Benjamin went down in pre-season last year. Ginn (even with the drops) and Brown really improved over their past seasons with all of the opportunities as did Funchess at the end of the year. A couple other young guys (Hill and Byrd) have also gotten a lot of good mentions.

I'd love to see Funchess have a great year. Might be hard to really be fantasy relevant with Olsen, Cam's rushing TDs, Stewart and Benjamin, but NFL wise he should be a nice cog.

All I know is that if Hill plays like Proehl thinks he can, his speed on the outside instead of Ginn could make a ridiculous set of targets for Newton. Imagine a 3 WR set with a 6'4" 230lb slot receiver, a 6'5" 250lb TE, a 6'5" 240 outside receiver and a 6'4" 215 burner on the outside. How do you defend that in the red zone?

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I figured the post here would be about that quote. He's been very impressive in camp. As weird as it sounds, the WR crew appears to be a strength of the team now. Such a huge turn around from when Benjamin went down in pre-season last year. Ginn (even with the drops) and Brown really improved over their past seasons with all of the opportunities as did Funchess at the end of the year. A couple other young guys (Hill and Byrd) have also gotten a lot of good mentions.

I'd love to see Funchess have a great year. Might be hard to really be fantasy relevant with Olsen, Cam's rushing TDs, Stewart and Benjamin, but NFL wise he should be a nice cog.

All I know is that if Hill plays like Proehl thinks he can, his speed on the outside instead of Ginn could make a ridiculous set of targets for Newton. Imagine a 3 WR set with a 6'4" 230lb slot receiver, a 6'5" 250lb TE, a 6'5" 240 outside receiver and a 6'4" 215 burner on the outside. How do you defend that in the red zone?

What's to defend? Cam just keeps it himself anyway.