Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gianmarco

***Official 2015 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

784 posts in this topic

Who among us hasn't occasionally wanted to flip off Cardinals fans? :shrug:

The Cardinal Way is running out ground balls. Templeton lolligagged it down to first. The fans were reminding him of the Cardinal Way. If he doesn't want to play like that... There's the door.

Raider Nation likes this post

The other narrative of that era was Whitey trying to get the cocaine out of the clubhouse. He's said when he took the Cardinals manager job, 10 players on the roster were using coke somewhat regularly. He turned over almost the entire roster his first two years on the job. A lot of that was to makeover the team in the speed/defense/pitching model he'd used in Kansas City and fit all the multipurpose AstroTurf stadiums in the NL at the time, including Busch II. But he was also trying to remove the cocaine culture as well.

I was reading about all the lopsided trades in MLB history, and it was noticeable how many times the Cardinals came out ahead.

Other than the Steve Carlton for Rawley Eastwick, and Keith Hernandez for Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey trades, the Cardinals have done very well.

Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock

Garry Templeton for Ozzie Smith

Blake Stein/TJ Mathews for Mark McGwire

Kent Bottenfeld/Adam Kennedy for Jim Edmonds

JD Drew/Eli Marrero for Adam Wainwright

Brett Wallace for Matt Holliday

That's a pretty good haul.

Dan Haren for Mark Mulder stings a bit.

World Series ring soothes it a bit.

I was reading about all the lopsided trades in MLB history, and it was noticeable how many times the Cardinals came out ahead.

Other than the Steve Carlton for Rawley Eastwick, and Keith Hernandez for Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey trades, the Cardinals have done very well.

Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock

Garry Templeton for Ozzie Smith

Blake Stein/TJ Mathews for Mark McGwire

Kent Bottenfeld/Adam Kennedy for Jim Edmonds

JD Drew/Eli Marrero for Adam Wainwright

Brett Wallace for Matt Holliday

That's a pretty good haul.

Dan Haren for Mark Mulder stings a bit.

World Series ring soothes it a bit.

Not that he amounted to much, but Cards also shipped Daric Barton in that trade. Also of interest, Mulder actually had a pretty decent first year with the team in 2005. For whatever reason I had in my head that he was hurt from the minute he arrived, but he won 16 games over 205 innings in his first year in town.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Cards sign Jon Jay to 2-year deal. $4.75MM in 2015, $6.9MM in 2016.

Upside: avoids arbitration this spring and next

Downside; club seems to be serious about Jon Jay being the starting center fielder the next two seasons

If he spends the next two seasons hitting like he did August-October 2014, this deal is a steal for STL. I'm skeptical that hitting stretch is sustainable.

Downside; club seems to be serious about Jon Jay being the starting center fielder the next two seasons

If he spends the next two seasons hitting like he did August-October 2014, this deal is a steal for STL. I'm skeptical that hitting stretch is sustainable.

Deal says more about Bourjos than it does about Jay IMO

Deal says more about Bourjos than it does about Jay IMO

Mozeliak has always loved Jay. But any measure of Bourjos's hitting in 2014 certainly helped Jay's cause here.

Bourjos runs down everything, which has value playing next to Holliday in the outfield. But damn, .194 against lefties.

Maybe Bourjos helps close games by for Holliday in late innings and/or taking over in CF while Jay moves to LF.

Even if Jay is best suited as a fourth outfielder by 2016, those numbers are easy enough to digest. No worse than a Mark Ellis/Ty Wigginton type of situation.

You guys all stocked up on jean shorts?

I saw you spitting the same game over in the White Sox thread. Decide which of us you want to pin the jorts on and be done with it. Can't have it both ways!

Yep. I buy a pair every year when the Cubs get eliminated from playoff contention. Had to put an addition on the house to store them all.
1 person likes this

You son of a bish.

To be fair, US Cell and Busch have a higher than normal of jean shorts than normal.

I'm not taking cut offs. I mean jean shorts. People bought jeans that were made as shorts.

Even if Jay is best suited as a fourth outfielder by 2016, those numbers are easy enough to digest. No worse than a Mark Ellis/Ty Wigginton type of situation.

IMO the contract is an appropriate price for Jay. I just don't share M&M's faith in Jay's ability to make the team proud to call him the starting CF. But I suppose there aren't any small-market teams right now looking to dump a soon-to-be-expensive CF before he bolts as a free agent.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson

To be fair, US Cell and Busch have a higher than normal of jean shorts than normal.

I'm not taking cut offs. I mean jean shorts. People bought jeans that were made as shorts.

A summer night at Busch just doesn't feel complete without encountering a fan in an XXL Holliday jersey and jorts with a Bud Light in each hand.

1 person likes this

A summer night at Busch just doesn't feel complete without encountering a fan in an XXL Holliday jersey and jorts with a Bud Light in each hand.

That's probably me you saw. :thumbup:

1 person likes this

Yep. I buy a pair every year when the Cubs get eliminated from

playoff contention. Had to put an addition on the house to store them all.

Limpy is jealous

Hey Cardinals fans, "Angels in the Outfield" was a work of fiction. Sorry.

1 person likes this

too soon.

2 people like this

too soon.

Seriously. And they only gave up Freese to get him. :whistle:

Nice outing by Gonzales. Would be nice to see this become an actual competition for the 5th spot.

Nice outing by Gonzales. Would be nice to see this become an actual competition for the 5th spot.

Agreed. Would like to see a lefty in the rotation to give a different look for opposing hitters over a series.

I'm predicting 161 regular season wins for the Cardinal this season. I think we'll have a rainout that won't get made up.

I'm predicting 161 regular season wins for the Cardinal this season. I think we'll have a rainout that won't get made up.

One short of winning the division then.

1 person likes this

One short of winning the division then.
:facepalm: :kicksrock: Well, wild card teams do make the Series from time to time.

:coffee:

Yeah, that was fun.

I know Rosenthal will be a rollercoaster ride as the season progresses, so I know not to get too excited about him.

Walden, though... if that's who he is, I'm feeling a LOT better about trading Shelby Miller.

No idea how Rosenthal managed to get out of that 9th inning jam, but I'll take it. Once again, though, his control and propensity to walk is such a huge weakness as a closer.

Well, ####.

Figured Waino was due for a DL stint after his workload the last three seasons, but nothing like this.

Time to shine, Tyler Lyons.

Well, ####.

Figured Waino was due for a DL stint after his workload the last three seasons, but nothing like this.

:cry::sadbanana:

Well, ####.

:cry::sadbanana:

9-12 month recovery.

He's not going to be the same when he comes back, either.

No idea how Rosenthal managed to get out of that 9th inning jam, but I'll take it. Once again, though, his control and propensity to walk is such a huge weakness as a closer.

I think I'm going to name a 2-baserunner, zero-run ninth-inning save a "Rosenthal".

I think I'm going to name a 2-baserunner, zero-run ninth-inning save a "Rosenthal".

No kidding. Although he's looked decent lately until back to his old tricks again tonight.

No kidding. Although he's looked decent lately until back to his old tricks again tonight.

The first two hitters were so uneventful, and the single was hit hard but on the ground. It was the walk that drove me nuts. Sure seemed like he got a generous call on the strike three that ended the game, too.

How about Bourjos generating some offense tonight? Thought he was safe on his stolen base attempt, but a good throw would have had him.

TV commentators did a trivia question asking which Cardinal pitcher gave up 11 HRs to Mike Schmidt. Care to guess the answer?

TV commentators did a trivia question asking which Cardinal pitcher gave up 11 HRs to Mike Schmidt. Care to guess the answer?

Bob Forsch?

1 person likes this

Bob Forsch?

Yep!

I've got nothing but love for Forschie - my greatest thrill attending a high-level sporting event was seeing Forsch's no-hitter in 1983 - but I was a little surprised the number was that low. I saw Schmidt knock a few over the left-center wall in Busch II - no small feat back when it was 386 to the bleachers.

WTF, why are they showing the pitches from the crappy outfield angle where you can't tell what's going on?