Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gianmarco

***Official 2015 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

784 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Brady Marino said:

Nelson Cruz is still trying to track that ball.

I'm sure there's a lot of Rangers fans still wondering how Cruz didn't catch it.

This is going to sound corny, but for months after that game, whenever things looked bleak, from something as trivial as winning a board game to watching extended family battle health problems, my inner monologue go-to was "if there's anything David Freese has taught me, it's that two outs and two strikes is not the same as three outs."  Silly, but it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

This is an excellent day in Cardinals history.  Take your pick between winning the 2006 Series, or my selection, Game 6 of the 2011 Series.

This crowdsourced video of the late-inning heroics is awesome, but does have some NSFW audio

Thanks for posting this video. Brought back some great memories. The $300 i spent on my Game 6 ticket in 2011 will forever be some of the best money ever spent. I'm a pretty reserved dude, but it was an out-of-body experience... hugging strangers... high-fiving random people. What a great night.

Edited by RnR
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RnR said:

Thanks for posting this video. Brought back some great memories. The $300 i spent on my Game 6 ticket in 2011 will forever be some of the best money ever spent. I'm a pretty reserved dude, but it was an out-of-body experience... hugging strangers... high-fiving random people. What a great night.

Glad you liked it.  I'll admit it.  I teared up watching it.  Today.

Like Freese, I grew up in West County.  We were several years apart and our paths never crossed, but we played in the same competitive youth baseball program on the same fields all over the County (CAA).  So when Freese hit that triole and homer, I was overpowered by emotion.  It was like Freese did that for every kid who played in the CAA and dreamed of someday winning a World Series game for the Cardinals.  (There's also some parts of Freese's backstory involving second chances and circumstances I can relate to, but that's another day and another thread)

I know I can't impartially place that Game 6 properly in baseball history.  I just know it was an exhilarating experience, I was so wired afterwards I just rewound the DVR and watched the game again, and I'm so glad you got to experience that game live.  What a night.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of famous Game 6's in various sports, and I would put the one from the 2011 World Series up against any of them.  Amazing night of baseball. :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matheny signed a three-year extension today.  Neither side wanted him going into next season on the last year of a contract.  Now he's signed through 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team has told Matt Carpenter they are moving him to 1B next season.  

They want to start Carpenter at 1B, Wong at 2B, Diaz at SS, move Peralta to 3B, and have Gyorko be the UT.

Peralta's salary drops to $10MM next season, which actually opens up some trade possibilities if they want it move him and try Piscotty at 3B, his college position.  But I suppose with Holliday gone a lot of corner OF playing time just opened up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new face in CF seems to be inevitable. If you look hard enough, you'll see the Cardinals linked to any and all available via free agency or trade.

Predictions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Team has told Matt Carpenter they are moving him to 1B next season.  

They want to start Carpenter at 1B, Wong at 2B, Diaz at SS, move Peralta to 3B, and have Gyorko be the UT.

Peralta's salary drops to $10MM next season, which actually opens up some trade possibilities if they want it move him and try Piscotty at 3B, his college position.  But I suppose with Holliday gone a lot of corner OF playing time just opened up.  

While I see the glimpses of a .300 hitter and the long-term potential in Kolten Wong, I can't help but wonder if it should be the guy that turned in 30 dingers in 400 ABs and a .801 OPS getting the benefit of the doubt for a starting spot heading into the spring. After all, Wong's only 2 years younger than Jedd.

Edited by RnR
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RnR said:

A new face in CF seems to be inevitable. If you look hard enough, you'll see the Cardinals linked to any and all available via free agency or trade.

Predictions?

Grichuk moving to LF? He wasn't great in CF, but he wasn't bad enough out there to make it unthinkable of leaving him there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Grichuk moving to LF? He wasn't great in CF, but he wasn't bad enough out there to make it unthinkable of leaving him there.

I think that's the idea. A solid CF + Grichuk instead of Holliday/Moss in LF would serve as a significant defensive upgrade for a team that frankly wasn't very good defensively in 2016. As long as Grichuk can swing it enough to justify a corner OF spot, that is.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RnR said:

While I see the glimpses of a .300 hitter and the long-term potential in Kolten Wong, I can't help but wonder if it should be the guy that turned in 30 dingers in 400 ABs and a .801 OPS getting the benefit of the doubt for a starting spot heading into the spring. After all, Wong's only 2 years younger than Jedd.

It's like Jedd played too well for the role M & M had in mind for him.  This is not a team taking a lot of extra bases via shrewd baserunning so 30 HRs matter a great deal.

Wong played some CF in college. Maybe he's the solution to the CF problem.  

Or, maybe not.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're sitting pretty with SP depth in an off-season where that's the scarcest commodity but good CF aren't plentiful either.

Grichuk's advanced fielding stats at CF aren't bad albeit with a small sample size.  His OBP in a bigger sample is another thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$82.5MM for Dexter Fowler seems like a lot.  But as salaries continue to escalate that AAV will seem better over time.  And CF was a big hole in a team that should be thinking postseason next year.

And now that the lock got shot off the wallet... Carpenter has been told it's no longer a sure thing he's moving to 1B next season.  The team is looking into short-term deals for either Trumbo or Encarnacion, either of whom would have to play 1B in the NL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised to the the Cards go after Abreu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Annyong said:

I wouldn't be surprised to the the Cards go after Abreu

I've been telling my friends that's who they should go after, but the Sox will almost inevitably insist upon Alex Reyes in the package. At that point, I think they're better off signing EE or Trumbo and hanging on to Reyes.

Edited by RnR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

$82.5MM for Dexter Fowler seems like a lot.  But as salaries continue to escalate that AAV will seem better over time.  And CF was a big hole in a team that should be thinking postseason next year.

And now that the lock got shot off the wallet... Carpenter has been told it's no longer a sure thing he's moving to 1B next season.  The team is looking into short-term deals for either Trumbo or Encarnacion, either of whom would have to play 1B in the NL.  

I felt this way about it initially, but Brian Kenny put Fowler through the "shredder" this afternoon and made me feel better about things.

In summary, he's the No. 1 guy in MLB in terms of not swinging at balls outside of the strike zone. And No. 4 in MLB in baserunning efficiency. Throw in a major comeback in defensive efficiency and a walk rate approaching double the MLB average, and he might just be an "underrated" ball player.

That being said, five years to a 31-year-old CF feels scary. Kinda feels like the 4-year deal they handed to Peralta as a 30-something SS.

Edited by RnR
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RnR said:

I felt this way about it initially, but Brian Kenny put Fowler through the "shredder" this afternoon and made me feel better about things.

In summary, he's the No. 1 guy in MLB in terms of not swinging at balls outside of the strike zone. And No. 4 in MLB in baserunning efficiency. Throw in a major comeback in defensive efficiency and a walk rate approaching double the MLB average, and he might just be an "underrated" ball player.

That being said, five years to a 31-year-old CF feels scary. Kinda feels like the 4-year deal they handed to Peralta as a 30-something SS.

Good points all.  Also need to figure the cost per WAR is going up over time, revenues are still going up, and the organization had nobody ready to play MLB CF.  Getting a player as good as Fowler without raiding the thinned-out prospect drawer is worth the money.  

Fowler in CF upgrades the entire outfield - his own contributions, Grichuk goes from average-at-best in CF to a plus defender in LF (certainly an upgrade over Holliday/Moss), and I'm long on Piscotty offensively and defensively in RF.  

Fowler's hitting approach is on-brand with a contact-heavy organization like STL, and his plate discipline and patience will be a great add to the leadoff spot.     

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fowlers gonna go maybe 15/15 .370 at the top with avg D. Any team is lucky to have him. Who knows how he will age but I assume he will always be able to take a walk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2016 at 4:12 PM, Bruce Dickinson said:
On 12/9/2016 at 6:21 PM, RnR said:

I felt this way about it initially, but Brian Kenny put Fowler through the "shredder" this afternoon and made me feel better about things.

In summary, he's the No. 1 guy in MLB in terms of not swinging at balls outside of the strike zone. And No. 4 in MLB in baserunning efficiency. Throw in a major comeback in defensive efficiency and a walk rate approaching double the MLB average, and he might just be an "underrated" ball player.

That being said, five years to a 31-year-old CF feels scary. Kinda feels like the 4-year deal they handed to Peralta as a 30-something SS.

Good points all.  Also need to figure the cost per WAR is going up over time, revenues are still going up, and the organization had nobody ready to play MLB CF.  Getting a player as good as Fowler without raiding the thinned-out prospect drawer is worth the money.  

Fowler in CF upgrades the entire outfield - his own contributions, Grichuk goes from average-at-best in CF to a plus defender in LF (certainly an upgrade over Holliday/Moss), and I'm long on Piscotty offensively and defensively in RF.  

Fowler's hitting approach is on-brand with a contact-heavy organization like STL, and his plate discipline and patience will be a great add to the leadoff spot.

It was a contract year last year and now he's got a ring - I watched him in Colorado for far too long and I think he reverts back to the norm. Playing well in spurts and striking out a lot at the wrong time (although he has picked up his walk rate). Getting hurt with little nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup - look for around 130 games with about 25 or so on the in and out end of the injury where he is useless as well - so 110 really effective games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2016 at 3:30 PM, ffldrew said:

It was a contract year last year and now he's got a ring - I watched him in Colorado for far too long and I think he reverts back to the norm. Playing well in spurts and striking out a lot at the wrong time (although he has picked up his walk rate). Getting hurt with little nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup - look for around 130 games with about 25 or so on the in and out end of the injury where he is useless as well - so 110 really effective games.

As a Cardinals superfan, I hope you're wrong.

As a human being who has read many, many intelligent posts from you over the years, consider my expectations reset at a lower level. :kicksrock: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PECOTA projects the Cardinals to go 76-86.

Didn't catch if that projection was made before or after Reyes's TJ surgery was announced.

Marco Gonzales, it's your time to shine, amigo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a very poor job of keeping up with things this spring.  What I think I know:

Reyes done for the year

Yadi contract talks ongoing

Martinez-Lynn-Wacha-Wainwright-Leake?   :X if Wacha can't join Martinez at the front of the rotation?

Carp-Wong-Diaz-Peralta?

Grichuk-Fowler-Piscotty?

What else should I know at this point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing all year......

Interesting September finish.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.