What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Hillary Clinton 2016 thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timschochet

Footballguy
I'm starting this because we've been having so many discussions about this woman in other threads that really should be more focused on our current President (like the Gruber thread).

Several news sources this morning, including the New York Times, are reporting that sources within the Democratic Party have confirmed that Hillary Rodham Clinton will be announcing her run for the Presidency this coming February.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping she runs...she will implode...she is not a warm personality, has a temper, a sense of entitlement and a whole lot of baggage...she has zero of her husband's speaking and personality skills...in today's politics much of the Presidential race is a popularity/personality contest and I have zero doubt that a daily dose of Hillary for a full year will wear on the general public...that and the fact she will have to answer for Obama's sins is a recipe for disaster...it will be real interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork in the dem primary because my guess is she has no interest in a tough fight in that arena as she probably believes she will be the anointed one...

So who will run against her? Bernie Sanders apparently will run, but he's not a Democrat so he won't be in any debates. Betsy Warren will not run. I doubt Biden will either. Too soon for Corey Booker.

I don't see any serious candidates taking her on.

how awkward will it be the first time Bill and Hillary walk into the oval office. If I were obama, i'd leave a box of cigars on the desk as a welcome gift.

So who will run against her? Bernie Sanders apparently will run, but he's not a Democrat so he won't be in any debates. Betsy Warren will not run. I doubt Biden will either. Too soon for Corey Booker.

Cancel the Demcorat primaries?

If I were Michelle I'd run. I mean, she solved childhood obesity!!!

Why exactly is she the assumed nominee/next president? She is terrible. It seems as if everyone has been jerking each other off over her since she was humiliated in 2007. Is this because she is a woman, and after electing a black man as president the next best way to show the world how "progressive" we are is to elect a woman? I realize the Clinton machine is untouchable in the democrat universe (except by a black unicorn) but c'mon people. The lovefest over her is mind boggling. Other than the fact that she has a ###### why should I vote for her? At least Obama was inspiring, likeable, and had no track record to rip apart.

how awkward will it be the first time Bill and Hillary walk into the oval office. If I were obama, i'd leave a box of cigars on the desk as a welcome gift.
why would it be awkward? They're all very close friends. Bill was crucial to securing Obama's re-election.

Why exactly is she the assumed nominee/next president? She is terrible. It seems as if everyone has been jerking each other off over her since she was humiliated in 2007. Is this because she is a woman, and after electing a black man as president the next best way to show the world how "progressive" we are is to elect a woman? I realize the Clinton machine is untouchable in the democrat universe (except by a black unicorn) but c'mon people. The lovefest over her is mind boggling. Other than the fact that she has a ###### why should I vote for her? At least Obama was inspiring, likeable, and had no track record to rip apart.
she has an incredible resume as I noted yesterday.

I am hoping she runs...she will implode...she is not a warm personality, has a temper, a sense of entitlement and a whole lot of baggage...she has zero of her husband's speaking and personality skills...in today's politics much of the Presidential race is a popularity/personality contest and I have zero doubt that a daily dose of Hillary for a full year will wear on the general public...that and the fact she will have to answer for Obama's sins is a recipe for disaster...it will be real interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork in the dem primary because my guess is she has no interest in a tough fight in that arena as she probably believes she will be the anointed one...
See 2008.

I'm starting this because we've been having so many discussions about this woman in other threads that really should be more focused on our current President (like the Gruber thread).

Several news sources this morning, including the New York Times, are reporting that sources within the Democratic Party have confirmed that Hillary Rodham Clinton will be announcing her run for the Presidency this coming February.
Well, if nothing else, the conservatives and Hillary haters will have one thread that they can all make a fool out of themselves again like they did in the run up to the 2012 election

It was so much fun in the two years prior to that election seeing post after post in this forum about how it was impossible for Obama to be reelected because (take your pick): People only voted for him because they wanted to feel cool and say they voted for the first black president. He got a huge black turnout at the polls which wouldn't be repeated in 2012. Everyone they knew and talked to was voting for Romney. Those who voted for him had buyer's remorse as evidenced by the 2010 election. All the polls were wrong, including Nate Silver, who was a one-hit-wonder and just got lucky but couldn't do it again, etc.

Bottom line, if Hillary runs she probably wins. All they got against her is Benghazi, calling her old (although Romney is actually four months older and age would be a non-issue if he had won and was now seeking reelection). And what they think is the trump card of "She has never accomplished anything in her political career" (which is not the perception among her supporters).

Now a lot of can happen in the next two years, but Democrats are excited about her candidacy (despite what you are hearing on the FFA) and I don't currently see a strong candidate among Paul, Christie, Cruz, Rubio, et al. Jeb Bush could be a serious threat as a moderate alternative, but he has his own issues (Bush name) which he might not be able to overcome.

Anyway, looking forward to the discussion. :popcorn:

I think you underestimate the fact that Warren is the new liberal flavor in the party. She may get the itch to run, but the fact that Harry Reid talked into a party leadership position undermines her "outsider" shtick.

Biden could also want to move up to the top job. Also have to look at Cuomo.

Also, she may also suffer from image fatigue. I suspect a good many general election voters don't want to see another Bush OR Clinton in the WH.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote Squisition. One thing that conservatives don't get: they think that liberals don't like Hillary. While this is true of a few like NC Commish, the majority of liberals love Hillary. So do most independents.

Also I predict that after this latest election, Dems won't fool around much: they'll settle on Hillary quickly as their strongest candidate and one who can carry the party down ticket.

Bill was sore at Barack in 2008 for taking his comments out of context. But that's all by the wayside now. They're the best of buddies. They'll probably go duck hunting together when Obama is done.

Hurdles to Hillary winning in 2016

The chief obstacle that any Democratic nominee will face is public resistance to installing a president from the same party in the White House for three terms in a row. If you look at the presidents since World War II, when the same party occupied the White House for two terms in a row, that party’s candidate lost in the next election six out of seven times.
There are three reasons why the three-term obstacle has prevailed. The first and most obvious has been because the incumbent has become unpopular during his second term, and his unpopularity has carried over to the nominee. That was certainly the case with Harry Truman and Adlai Stevenson in 1952, Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey in 1968, Gerald Ford (who had succeeded Richard Nixon) in 1976, and George W. Bush and John McCain in 2008.

The second reason has to do with an accumulation over eight years of small or medium-sized grievances that, while not affecting the incumbent’s overall popularity, still weighed down the candidate who hoped to succeed him. Dwight Eisenhower remained highly popular in 1960, but some voters worried about repeated recessions during his presidency, or about his support for school integration; Bill Clinton remained popular, and unemployment low, in 2000, but his second term had been marred by the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and coal-state voters worried about Democrats’ support for Kyoto while white Southern voters worried about the administration’s support for African American causes.

The third reason has to do with the voters’ blaming party gridlock between the president and congress partly on the president and his party.

Hillary knows all about that. She's good with it now . Besides Bill won't be allowed inside the Oval. That's a work area. He has to stay in the Residence like all First Ladies.

That's true. If Dwight Eisenhower was the GOP candidate, I'd question Hillary's chances.
Nobody could have beaten Ike in 1952. Humphrey had the baggage of the Vietnam war, the disastrous 68 convention and the Dixiecrats leaving the Democratic party, plus Nixon's southern strategy. The GOP made a serious blunder in 76 going with Ford just because he was the incumbent, when they could have won with Reagan (as proven in 1980) and Gore was a piss-poor candidate and won the popular vote (and may have won the election too if not for the SCOTUS decision in Florida barring a full recount).

This "The same party can't win three terms" sounds nice, but doesn't hold up to close scrutiny.

Exactly.

The message will be "it's time" delivered with a very similar emotional ploy, and make it as little about her as a politician, leader, or most of all person as possible.

At least Tim is actually owning up being a Dem supporter with Hillary. Never understood the Obama game that Tim plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread