What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Hillary Clinton 2016 thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning to wonder if Tim is running the Eminence alias just so he has someone to engage in "ridiculousness" :oldunsure:
At some point I suspect you will get bored of throwing out these lame insults which are beneath you. Then if you'd like we can return to having an actualdiscussion.

The reaction by some of you to my very reasonable comments about Hillary being above appearances of impropriety (not above impropriety itself, but above the appearance of it without evidence) doesn't surprise me but it saddens and depresses me. Reading comprehension skills have really regressed in this country.
We are only as good as the content provided. What you put on the internet several posts up suggests Hillary is above the law because of her position. If that's not what you meant when you said it, then you have to explain it. Don't put your inability to type out your thoughts on us.

This is complete bull####:

Hillary Clinton gets to be treated special. That's because she's a former First Lady, a former Senator, and Secretary of State. She is the definition of a VIP. In terms of judging ethical concerns and potential appearances of impropriety, the rules that apply to you and me simply do not apply to her. Nor should they. She is above this sort of stuff. Hillary has a Foundation. Hillary's husband is a former President of the United States who gives speeches and earns huge fees. All of this was known before she took on the role of Secretary of State. In Hillary's case, therefore, appearances alone do not bring about conflict of interest, and apparent conflict of interest does not prove unethical behavior. If you want to accuse her of unethical behavior, then show your proof. No amount of supposition without proof is sufficient, at least not for me.

If anything, our elected officials are to be held to a HIGHER standard than we are, not given a pass for political expedience. Personally, I am fine with them being treated just like us when it comes to application of the law. We shouldn't have two sets of rules in this country.

I am beginning to wonder if Tim is running the Eminence alias just so he has someone to engage in "ridiculousness" :oldunsure:
At some point I suspect you will get bored of throwing out these lame insults which are beneath you. Then if you'd like we can return to having an actualdiscussion.
It's not an insult....it's a thought that came across my mind reading some of your recent drivel. It was very similar to his. You threw it out there. Don't shoot the messenger :shrug:

OK let me try to explain this again even though I shouldn't have to.

I NEVER wrote that Hillary is above the law. I don't believe she is, or anyone is.

I was responding to a specific post by Ivan K, in which he asserted that it did not matter if Hillary had violated any laws, because the appearance of impropriety should have been enough to force her to resign as Secretary of State, since in a similar circumstance Ivan would have been forced to resign from his position. I replied that Hillary is not Ivan; when she was hired as SoS it was with the knowledge that she was a former First Lady with an active foundation and a husband engaged in all sorts of activities including public speaking for fees. Thus she is a special case, not subject to mere appearances of impropriety or conflicts of interest because those are always going to be there. If you're going to accuse her of wrongdoing, appearances aren't enough; in her case you need to prove it, and thus far nobody has.

That's my argument. Perhaps it's drivel as you claim, but I'm proud to stand by it.

The reaction by some of you to my very reasonable comments about Hillary being above appearances of impropriety (not above impropriety itself, but above the appearance of it without evidence) doesn't surprise me but it saddens and depresses me. Reading comprehension skills have really regressed in this country.
If you get depressed because of a message board it's time for you to step away and take a break. :rolleyes:

I NEVER wrote that Hillary is above the law. I don't believe she is, or anyone is.

I was responding to a specific post by Ivan K, in which he asserted that it did not matter if Hillary had violated any laws, because the appearance of impropriety should have been enough to force her to resign as Secretary of State, since in a similar circumstance Ivan would have been forced to resign from his position. I replied that Hillary is not Ivan; when she was hired as SoS it was with the knowledge that she was a former First Lady with an active foundation and a husband engaged in all sorts of activities including public speaking for fees. Thus she is a special case, not subject to mere appearances of impropriety or conflicts of interest because those are always going to be there. If you're going to accuse her of wrongdoing, appearances aren't enough; in her case you need to prove it, and thus far nobody has.

That's my argument. Perhaps it's drivel as you claim, but I'm proud to stand by it.
Dude, just stop....

If you get depressed because of a message board it's time for you to step away and take a break. :rolleyes:
Ookie Pringle, Beaver Cleaver, poopdawg, Stinger Ray- are you guys all the same guy? Because it's awfully repetitive.

Dude, just stop....
I won't. But thanks for your advice anyhow.

timschochet said:
The Commish said:
timschochet said:
BTW what I wrote about Hillary is true with Bernie as well. The differences between them on Glass-Steagal are irrelevant, because the only thing that either of them will do if elected regarding this issue is hold the line against Republican attempted repeal of what regulations there are now.
Well, at least you don't discriminate in the ignoring of actions. If you think Bernie will settle for "holding the line" you ignore lots of actual evidence to the contrary.
It doesn't matter what Bernie will settle for. He won't be able to get his stuff through.
Nice shifting the goal posts Tim :lmao:
Except I haven't. This has been my main point all along.
Then say that next time :shrug:

I really am proud to defend Hillary against such an impressive group of detractors as we have here. Squistion and I are fighting the good fight. Hopefully we'll be rewarded with victory, but even if we're not, we can at least be satisfied that we were right.

timschochet said:
The Commish said:
timschochet said:
BTW what I wrote about Hillary is true with Bernie as well. The differences between them on Glass-Steagal are irrelevant, because the only thing that either of them will do if elected regarding this issue is hold the line against Republican attempted repeal of what regulations there are now.
Well, at least you don't discriminate in the ignoring of actions. If you think Bernie will settle for "holding the line" you ignore lots of actual evidence to the contrary.
It doesn't matter what Bernie will settle for. He won't be able to get his stuff through.
Nice shifting the goal posts Tim :lmao:
Except I haven't. This has been my main point all along.
Then say that next time :shrug:
I never wrote anything else. And this is not the first time you have inserted your own false understanding for what I actually wrote. When others do this they at least acknowledge it. You simply move on to your next lame insult.

IK is a big boy and can speak for himself, but it appears you are putting words in his mouth. We are free to take the "smoke-fire" approach with whomever and it's perfectly reasonable. This notion that because someone held a specific position (anywhere) is beyond silly. I'm going to hold her to the same standard as I would anyone else. It's already been documented she's a liar. Her actions speak for her. Are there reasons she did these things, that if I knew the full story I'd give her a pass? Perhaps. That's irrelevant to the point being made. She's more than welcome to clear things up, but her "go to" is to muddy things even more. When I see that sort of behavior from other people in "everyday life" it throws up a red flag. The senses are heightened that much more when the behavior is happening in an environment I already know is as corrupt as ####, but I still welcome an explanation clarifying what we are seeing.

I really am proud to defend Hillary against such an impressive group of detractors as we have here. Squistion and I are fighting the good fight. Hopefully we'll be rewarded with victory, but even if we're not, we can at least be satisfied that we were right.
Right about what? That she'll win? Aren't most of us of that opinion, even the "detractors"? :oldusnure:

Commish I respectfully disagree with nearly everything you just wrote.
I know....and I think it's absurd :shrug:

These yahoos in Washington DC are telling a lot of people their #### don't stink, but there's a reason they are wearing gas masks.

ETA: You won't believe this, but there was a time where I gave Hillary the benefit of the doubt and really had no issue with her at all. Twenty or so years later, I think I've given her plenty of chances and have reached my end with her. There's just too much "anecdotal" evidence (as you will call it) for me to look past at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right about what? That she'll win? Aren't most of us of that opinion, even the "detractors"? :oldusnure:
No, right about the fact that she is a genuine public servant, a patriot, that her first and most important goal is to make this country a better place, that her ideas for doing so are superior to any other candidate running, and that she will be a better and more effective President than anyone else running. In short, we're right to be for her.

Commish I respectfully disagree with nearly everything you just wrote.
I know....and I think it's absurd :shrug: These yahoos in Washington DC are telling a lot of people their #### don't stink, but there's a reason they are wearing gas masks.

ETA: You won't believe this, but there was a time where I gave Hillary the benefit of the doubt and really had no issue with her at all. Twenty or so years later, I think I've given her plenty of chances and have reached my end with her. There's just too much "anecdotal" evidence (as you will call it) for me to look past at this point.
I believe you. You strike me as an honest guy. Your opinion is your opinion.

No, right about the fact that she is a genuine public servant, a patriot, that her first and most important goal is to make this country a better place, that her ideas for doing so are superior to any other candidate running, and that she will be a better and more effective President than anyone else running.In short, we're right to be for her.
No, right about the fact that she is a genuine public servant, a patriot, that her first and most important goal is to make this country a better place, that her ideas for doing so are superior to any other candidate running, and that she will be a better and more effective President than anyone else running.In short, we're right to be for her.
I have friends that work at the White House, and she by far heads their list of the nastiest people they've ever worked for. She hasn't met a cuss word she doesn't love. She will lie to get her way. She never stops degrading anyone she thinks is lower than her on the social totem pole, and that represents 99.9999% percent of Americans. She's a terrible person.

Apparently Kasich on the Republican side is similar, but has sold himself otherwise.

Fact: I'd vote for Al Sharpton before I voted for Hillary.

Brunell, I've heard all that too. I've also heard the opposite.

But even if all that's true, so what? She could be a truly nasty person and a real jerk- by all accounts LBJ was and Nixon too. Doesn't mean she won't be an effective President. Again to use the Bellichick example- does he se m like a great guy to you? But he's the best coach in the business.

Now Ted Cruz is also called a terrible human being and that should be just as unimportant. Except in Cruz's case, he seems to have trouble getting along with Congress, negotiating with others, knowing how to get things done.Thats problematic for a President. Hillary has none of those problems.

:lmao:

To clarify, I didn't say that she should necessarily have been forced to resign as SOS. Having Bill knock off his speaking engagements while she was serving would have been fine too. The main thing is that it's a pretty significant ethical break and speaks to her character -- just like the email server, her defense of sexual harassment, etc.

he seems to have trouble getting along with Congress, negotiating with others, knowing how to get things done.Thats problematic for a President. Hillary has none of those problems.
Sounds like Obama.
Yes it does. I would argue that's been his biggest flaw as President. I think Hillary will do better.
You can't seriously believe that Hillary will get along with Congress better than Obama. Hillary herself surely doesn't believe that.

Ivan, if Obama had demanded that Bill not accept any speaking fees when he hired Hillary as SOS, then your criticism would be spot on.

But he did not demand that. And in fact, according to Hillary's book I doubt she would have accepted the position if Obama had made that demand since she was heavily in debt at the time due to the 2008 campaign and looking for ways to recover.

Obama knew Bill was going to earn money giving speeches, including to groups that would come before Hillary. Obama knew that The Clinton Foundation would continue to receive donations, some from countries and groups that would come before Hillary. He knew all of this yet he hired her anyhow. Yet you regard it all as unethical; that makes no sense.

he seems to have trouble getting along with Congress, negotiating with others, knowing how to get things done.Thats problematic for a President. Hillary has none of those problems.
Sounds like Obama.
Yes it does. I would argue that's been his biggest flaw as President. I think Hillary will do better.
You can't seriously believe that Hillary will get along with Congress better than Obama. Hillary herself surely doesn't believe that.
Why not? She did as a senator. She is less of an ideologue and more pragmatic. The Tea Party types don't run everything in the GOP, not yet. Yeah I think she'll get along with them better than Obama. Hillary is not nearly as contemptuous as Obama acts at times. Obama is just plain rude and insulting.

And how is "right" or "wrong" determined here? Those aren't terms generally associated with opinions which seems to be what you're asserting.

Sounds like Obama.
Why not? She did as a senator. She is less of an ideologue and more pragmatic. The Tea Party types don't run everything in the GOP, not yet. Yeah I think she'll get along with them better than Obama. Hillary is not nearly as contemptuous as Obama acts at times. Obama is just plain rude and insulting.
And yet for the last 7 years you have over and over and over again blamed the Republicans for not working with Obama and held Obama blameless.

And how is "right" or "wrong" determined here? Those aren't terms generally associated with opinions which seems to be what you're asserting.
Good lord, I can't even take Tim seriously anymore. He must be drowning his mind in Democratic Underground or something. Some of the most unbalanced one-sided opinions on the board anymore.

Sounds like Obama.
IK, I think we both know it's red meat for the people who lap up the :hophead: It will not surprise me at all when she's able to "get things done" with Congress. She's part of the group. A guy like Bernie would struggle for sure, but I don't think Hillary will have many problems. They'll "compromise" and continue driving the country into the ditch.

Look, while our opinions are subjective, the facts of the matter are not. Either Hillary Clinton is a public servant first and foremost as she claims, or she is the greedy, corruption-filled individual you claim. Either she is a patriot, or she isn't. Either her most important goal is to make this country better, or she has another, more self-serving goal as her primary one. Either her ideas are better and she will be a better and more effective President than the other people running, or she will not be. So I'm either right about this stuff or I'm wrong.

Look, while our opinions are subjective, the facts of the matter are not. Either Hillary Clinton is a public servant first and foremost as she claims, or she is the greedy, corruption-filled individual you claim. Either she is a patriot, or she isn't. Either her most important goal is to make this country better, or she has another, more self-serving goal as her primary one. Either her ideas are better and she will be a better and more effective President than the other people running, or she will not be. So I'm either right about this stuff or I'm wrong.
And my question was (and still is) how do you measure the "right" vs "wrong" about this stuff so it's no longer opinion rather fact.

ETA: And I don't think I ever said she's full of corruption. My view of her is she'll do anything to be President. "Being President" is her goal above all else. The rest is interpretation of her actions. I'll never know who she really is. That's all I have to go by.

I think that one if the most clear of them all. Every move she has made since Bill was elected has been self serving.

Sounds like Obama.
And yet for the last 7 years you have over and over and over again blamed the Republicans for not working with Obama and held Obama blameless.
Again this demonstrates to me that you haven't read me very well. I have consistently criticized Obama for his dealings with Congress. It's his main weakness. It's certainly not all of his fault, but I reject the idea that he's tried to work with them since 2010 to no avail; he hasn't. I have compared Obama to Woodrow Wilson in terms of his overall contempt for Congress as stupid and beneath him. I have done this over and over again.

You seem so dedicated to convincing yourself that I am just a shill for the Democrats that you overlook overtime I criticize them. I know it makes it easier for you, and for a few others around here, to shoehorn everyone that discusses politics into a conservative vs. liberal paradigm, but sometimes that doesn't fit.

And my question was (and still is) how do you measure the "right" vs "wrong" about this stuff so it's no longer opinion rather fact.

ETA: And I don't think I ever said she's full of corruption. My view of her is she'll do anything to be President. "Being President" is her goal above all else. The rest is interpretation of her actions. I'll never know who she really is. That's all I have to go by.
I admit that any measurement which we will both agree on in the end will be very difficult. All I was saying is that the questions themselves have clear answers, even if we're unable to determine what exactly those are.

As far as Hillary being self-serving: she has a tremendous ego. But so does everybody else who is seriously running for President. I'm not sure that it's possible to be elected President without a huge ego. Hillary wants to be President because she believes she will be the best President. Again, nothing wrong with that, and that's no different from anyone else running.

I believe that in the reaction to this, and to everything about Hillary, there is a bit of sexism involved. It's not overt, and it's not deliberate for most people. But we as a society are not trained to think of women in the same way that we think of men. A man who seeks to rise is called ambitious, which is a compliment; a woman who seeks to rise is called aggressive, which is not. A man who believes he is the best at what he does is confident; a woman is arrogant. A man who seeks high office is thought of as a leader; a woman is considered pushy. And so on.

Hillary did not accept the demure role afforded to most First Ladies, so she was resented from the first. That resentment has never gone away. As a product of women's liberation, Hillary represents a threat to a lot of stereotypes which are still in place. I honestly believe that this is a big chunk of the antagonism that has always surrounded her.

Again this demonstrates to me that you haven't read me very well. I have consistently criticized Obama for his dealings with Congress. It's his main weakness. It's certainly not all of his fault, but I reject the idea that he's tried to work with them since 2010 to no avail; he hasn't. I have compared Obama to Woodrow Wilson in terms of his overall contempt for Congress as stupid and beneath him. I have done this over and over again.

You seem so dedicated to convincing yourself that I am just a shill for the Democrats that you overlook overtime I criticize them. I know it makes it easier for you, and for a few others around here, to shoehorn everyone that discusses politics into a conservative vs. liberal paradigm, but sometimes that doesn't fit.
I knew it had to be jon_mx before even seeing who you were responding too. :D

I admit that any measurement which we will both agree on in the end will be very difficult. All I was saying is that the questions themselves have clear answers, even if we're unable to determine what exactly those are.
dude....work with me here

Sounds like Obama.

It started with Obama care, you somehow blamed Republicans for being locked out of the debate. You also blamed republicans for sequestration. Every time there was an impasse on the budget, it was all the GOP's fault. The government shutdown debates, the fights over the debt ceiling. All these were the GOP fault in your mind. We had this discussion a dozen times.

I don't agree, but nonetheless, do you want it repealed?
You don't agree? Can you say, in your own words, what you think Dodd Frank has accomplished and why it should be protected?
It's a pretty long act. I have personally witnessed the fact that it has made lending institutions more careful in terms of loan applications. One thing it did that I think is very positive is set federal guidelines for appraisals.

It's not perfect, but yeah overall I think it should be protected. I certainly don't want to go back to allowing state and local authorities that are influenced by developers to allow for exaggerated appraisals and quick loan approvals.

Hillary ClintonVerified account ‏@HillaryClinton

If you elect me President, I could nominate as many as four Supreme Court justices. Why that should terrify you:

http://hrc.io/1lYxYEf
fixed
As far as who would likely be approved by the Senate, I doubt her nominees would differ that much from Bernie's. More likely her SCOTUS replacements would be closer ideologically to Sanders positions, then, let's say, from any nominee by Trump, Cruz or Rubio.

Hillary Clinton gets to be treated special. That's because she's a former First Lady, a former Senator, and Secretary of State. She is the definition of a VIP. In terms of judging ethical concerns and potential appearances of impropriety, the rules that apply to you and me simply do not apply to her. Nor should they. She is above this sort of stuff. Hillary has a Foundation. Hillary's husband is a former President of the United States who gives speeches and earns huge fees. All of this was known before she took on the role of Secretary of State. In Hillary's case, therefore, appearances alone do not bring about conflict of interest, and apparent conflict of interest does not prove unethical behavior. If you want to accuse her of unethical behavior, then show your proof. No amount of supposition without proof is sufficient, at least not for me.
The FBI is working on this. And they continue to subpoena and confiscate evidence. Whether or not the DoJ, which is currently a hugely partisan office, decides to prosecute is another matter. Even if not the findings of the FBI will make their way to the public and we'll see exactly what she did and didn't do.

Hillary ClintonVerified account ‏@HillaryClinton

A Republican president could nominate as many as four Supreme Court justices. Why that should terrify you:

http://hrc.io/1lYxYEf
They would be conservatives replacing conservatives and would not impact the balance of the court. Unless Ginsburg dies, but the GOP would need about 65 senators to replace her with anything close to a conservative. And even then it would be a civil war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread