What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (1 Viewer)

ESPN's John Keim confirms Redskins fourth-round RB Samaje Perine will be an "instant challenger" to Rob Kelley on early downs.

We suspected as much when the 'Skins made Perine the No. 114 overall pick of the draft on Saturday. On paper, he's a slightly better version of Kelley, though Kelley has obviously put some good NFL runs on film. Kelley also has lots of bad runs on film. Perine's addition could mean curtains for Matt Jones in Washington.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 1 - 3:23 PM

FreeBaGeL said:
That seems a little late for him.  I was speaking of 12 team leagues so somewhere in the 10-14 range.  2.02 in a 14 teamer would be 16 so might need to move up a bit.
He went at 1.10 and 1.11 in the two leagues im in

2014 vs. 2016 Perine is night and day. I hope Washington tells him to lose 10 lbs like Pitt did with Bell. It will do him a world of good to be 225 instead of pushing 240. 

Went 1.10 in my draft. I picked 1.11 and have Kelley. Took Ross there, so I'm not all that upset. I see the guy as insurance more than I see him as a threat to Kelley. 4th rounder and lip service about challenging for the job is no guarantee of said job. 

I snagged him at 9 and 13 in two of my leagues, he went 9th to another person in the third. All standard-ish PPR 12 team leagues with 1 or two regular flex spots.

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim projects Samaje Perine as the team's Week 1 starter at running back.

Keim calls incumbent Rob Kelley a "complementary piece to Perine." The all-time leading rusher at Oklahoma, Perine packs 233 pounds onto a 5-foot-11 frame and caught 40 passes in his three-year college career despite sharing the Sooners' backfield with all-purpose dynamo Joe Mixon. In an efficient Redskins offense, Perine will offer considerable TD upside should he win the job.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 15 - 3:56 PM

love Perine.  I think he can be a steal in the 4th for the skins.  

Sadly, did not end up with him in either draft.  Both times Mike Williams fell to me (at 1.10 and 1.11) so I couldn't pass for Perine.  Most of the owners are in both leagues.  Same owner took him in both.

Both are start 2 qb, 2 rb, 4 wr, 2 te, ppr

He went 2.03 in one of my drafts.  
Draft in order - McCaffrey, Fournette, Mixon, Cook, Davis, Howard, Watson, Trubinsky, Mahomes, M Williams, Hunt, Ross, Njoku, Engram, Perine
I had 3, 4, 10 so I passed on him for Williams hoping he'd fall to 2.05.  But since I have Zeke, Mixon, Cook, Coleman I felt ok passing.  2.05 got Zay Jones.

He went 2.02 in the other.
Draft in order - Fournette, McCaffrey, Mixon, Davis, Howard, Watson, Cook, Trubinsky, Mahomes, Kizer, M Williams, Njoku, Engram, Perine.
1.11 took Mike Williams again, but own David Johnson, Miller, Crowell, Rob Kelley.  
Now considering trading Crowell for Perine....

Redskins coach Jay Gruden came away "impressed" with fourth-round RB Samaje Perine following rookie minicamp.

"You see him out there running around – were you impressed?" Gruden asked reporters rhetorically on Saturday. "Yeah, so was I. I like guys who come in here and love football and he does. He’s a very smart guy. You can tell that he’s going to be a very hard worker and, of course, he runs hard." Padless practice without veterans isn't exactly the hardest place to stand out, but it's another nugget to file away as Perine prepares to challenge Rob Kelley on early downs. Perine appears to be the favorite.

Source: Washington Times 
May 16 - 7:57 PM

Got a feeling he'll be pushin' fat rob to the sidelines sooner than later. Don't let him get by ya. If you draft Kelley hope your roster size is big enuff to add this kid or you might be using a few expletives,lol.

I just took him at 1.09 in my rookie draft. Debated between him and Hunt but just really like what I'm seeing and hearing with Perine.

I just took him at 1.09 in my rookie draft. Debated between him and Hunt but just really like what I'm seeing and hearing with Perine.
I had the same dilemma at 1.10 a couple weeks back. Also went Perine, but there is a lot to like with Hunt, too, imo. 

Dumb question here.  What are all these numbers 1.07, 2,01 etc.  I don'[t believe it means first round 7th pick for example.  Are you all doing a rookie only draft or something?

Dumb question here.  What are all these numbers 1.07, 2,01 etc.  I don'[t believe it means first round 7th pick for example.  Are you all doing a rookie only draft or something?
1.07 = 7th pick in first round in a rookie draft. 2.01 means 1st pick in round 2.

The thread name is official-samaje-perine-ou-stud-rb-dynasty and nearly all talk around here this time of year is rookie/dynasty based so yes, this references rookie drafts.

Thanks guys.  I'm in a redraft league and was baffled by the references.  Same is of interest to me as a late flyer as such.  But now I get it.

Thanks for the patience.  

Got him at pick 16. Liked what I saw of him in college, but NFL is a different animal. looks like he will get a chance to get plenty of touches. Running backs are a crapshoot. Guys come out of nowhere and higher draft picks flounder.  Since they are the most valuable position in fantasy, I have learned to draft as many rookie backs as possible which gives a better chance of finding a starter and a fantasy asset. The young ones with potential make good trade value too.

Also have Kelley and Marshall

Got him at pick 16. Liked what I saw of him in college, but NFL is a different animal. looks like he will get a chance to get plenty of touches. Running backs are a crapshoot. Guys come out of nowhere and higher draft picks flounder.  Since they are the most valuable position in fantasy, I have learned to draft as many rookie backs as possible which gives a better chance of finding a starter and a fantasy asset. The young ones with potential make good trade value too.

Also have Kelley and Marshall
Very surprised he lasted to 16.  Who were the 15 that went ahead of him?

Very surprised he lasted to 16.  Who were the 15 that went ahead of him?
He went 16 in our draft also.  I had him as a tossup with Hunt and when Hunt dropped to 13 I went that way given that Reid traded up to get him.  Kamara and Zay Jones went between. The big 3 TEs, Smith-Schuster and Watson went before Hunt.

Watson going at 10 surprised me, but everything else was pretty much as expected more or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team, PPR. Non-Idp. 

I had the 1.07 and was sure Samaje would fall to me.   1.06 went on the clock and traded the [1.06] away for [Ameer Abdullah + Laquon Treadwell + 2017 4.03].  New owner of the 1.06 took Samaje.

Bottom line, Samaje went at the 1.06 or would have gone at the 1.07 and someone valued him more than Abdullah + Treadwell + Flyer.

12 team, PPR. Non-Idp. 

I had the 1.07 and was sure Samaje would fall to me.   1.06 went on the clock and traded the [1.06] away for [Ameer Abdullah + Laquon Treadwell + 2017 4.03].  New owner of the 1.06 took Samaje.

Bottom line, Samaje went at the 1.06 or would have gone at the 1.07 and someone valued him more than Abdullah + Treadwell + Flyer.
Which of the big 6 did he go ahead of?

Which of the big 6 did he go ahead of?
Big 6? This is new. I've been looking at this draft as having a big 5, then pick 6 and on has been less predictable. 

It's Davis and the four RBs, then things get interesting, with Perine making the late summer push to claim the #6 spot.

Big 6? This is new. I've been looking at this draft as having a big 5, then pick 6 and on has been less predictable. 

It's Davis and the four RBs, then things get interesting, with Perine making the late summer push to claim the #6 spot.
I guess I agree, but it seems like Williams is the consensus 6 pick.

If I knew they were keeping Cousins I would take this guy at 6. Without a QB he's not even Todd Gurley (without a QB).

If that's true, Williams stock has taken a significant hit, as apparently has Howard's.

Still thinking that's too high for Perine, who doesn't figure to get a meaningful part of the passing game.

1 hour ago, flysack said:

I guess I agree, but it seems like Williams is the consensus 6 pick.
Technically he is as far as rankings are concerned and he probably has been taken at 6 in a majority of drafts. However, starting in the weeks after the NFL draft I have seen other players chosen at the 6 spot about half the time (or so it seems). Besides Perine, I have also seen JuJu, Howard and Ross taken at that spot.

Technically he is as far as rankings are concerned and he probably has been taken at 6 in a majority of drafts. However, starting in the weeks after the NFL draft I have seen other players chosen at the 6 spot about half the time (or so it seems). Besides Perine, I have also seen JuJu, Howard and Ross taken at that spot.
Williams went 8 and 7 in my two June drafts. His stock is falling given he hasn't been on the field.

I am hoping to land him at 1.9.  But with our draft happening in mid august, I think I need to prepare to move up 2 to 3 spots if I really like him.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Washington Redskins rookie RB Samaje Perine already has a good feel for the game, good feet, good vision and good strength, according to running backs coach Randy Jordan. Perine has also impressed with his catching ability. Jordan said Perine catches the football "so much better" than he thought he could.

Okay, ya can stop now..

I don't believe anybody is gonna steal him in the 2nd Rnd of their drafts  (I'm still hoping though!)

Sucks when an unspecial running back gets selected behind another unspecial running back in an offensive system which hardly runs the ball.

You guys can have all the Samaje Perine you want.

Sucks when an unspecial running back gets selected behind another unspecial running back in an offensive system which hardly runs the ball.

You guys can have all the Samaje Perine you want.
Perine is an average RB prospect. He is big, very strong, has decent speed for his size, was productive in college. Kelley could have been the worst RB prospect of all time. 2nd percentile SPARQ athlete, 5th percentile college production and a 0th percentile 3.6 ypc at Tulane. His rookie year in the NFL was about as inefficient as you would expect from those numbers. By all accounts, Perine should win this job and perform better than Fat Rob did last year. 

You are right that the Redskins were near the bottom of the league in rushes (so was Jacksonville, Chicago, LARams and Cleveland so maybe we should keep that in mind when using earlier draft picks on RBs) but the Redskins were top 12 in total points scored and Fat Rob got RZ looks. Fat Rob had 34 RZ carries for 5 TDs. 34 RZ carries was 16th in the NFL and it's even more impressive when you consider he only had 168 carries. 20% of his carries were in the RZ. 

In redraft, he is going 9th round as RB35. Fat Rob only started half a season last year and fell into an RB26 finish. I do think there is room for value here. 

Perine is an average RB prospect. He is big, very strong, has decent speed for his size, was productive in college. Kelley could have been the worst RB prospect of all time. 2nd percentile SPARQ athlete, 5th percentile college production and a 0th percentile 3.6 ypc at Tulane. His rookie year in the NFL was about as inefficient as you would expect from those numbers. By all accounts, Perine should win this job and perform better than Fat Rob did last year. 

You are right that the Redskins were near the bottom of the league in rushes (so was Jacksonville, Chicago, LARams and Cleveland so maybe we should keep that in mind when using earlier draft picks on RBs) but the Redskins were top 12 in total points scored and Fat Rob got RZ looks. Fat Rob had 34 RZ carries for 5 TDs. 34 RZ carries was 16th in the NFL and it's even more impressive when you consider he only had 168 carries. 20% of his carries were in the RZ. 

In redraft, he is going 9th round as RB35. Fat Rob only started half a season last year and fell into an RB26 finish. I do think there is room for value here. 
TDs saved, as you offensively call him, Fat Rob. But you know as well as anybody that TDs have much volatility. Redskins made a lot of changes in the offense, so no gaurantee they make it to the red zone as much. Those possibly few carries likely go to..... well, nobody really knows. You make a leap of faith to assume that Perine will win this job. This situation has platoon written all over it. In the event Perine gets the job, per your admission, he's an average RB prospect. Benjarvus Green-Ellis 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread