What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (2 Viewers)

OU#1

Footballguy
This kid looks like Earl Campbell. He's 5'11", 243lbs. He's not a plodder. Surpising speed and insane power.

Today he's got 375 yards and 5 TDs. On his way to breaking the FBS record which was just broken last week. Still a whole quarter+ left in the game...

He's a stud in the making, and only a freshman. And he doesn't seem like a head case like Joe Mixon.

If he's not on your radar, he's is now.

I'll post some video links later when I get home.

Boomer!

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
And he now has the record!

34 carries, 427 yards, and 5 TDs

Melvin Gordon's record lasted one week as he had broke LT's record last week.

He and Nick Chubb from Georgia are having awesome true freshmen seasons and look to be two of the best NFL RB prospects in college football. Perine isn't as fast, but he's a tank at 5'11" 242 and they claim he ran a 4.4 in the spring. He can do standing backflips. He's a freak athlete in terms of mass and strength. The stories of his weight room feats are like those old Chuck Norris facts:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/oklahoma-freshman-rb-perine-ready-bigger-role

Then, there is the weight room legend. Perine said he has lifted 20 reps with 275 pounds on the bench press. His website says he has bench pressed 435 pounds, inclined 375 and cleaned 320.

His fellow Oklahoma running back, Alex Ross, said there's seemingly no limit to how much weight Perine can lift.

"Summer workouts, basically, anything you put on the bar, he could do," Ross said. "With ease. I knew then he'd be ready. One afternoon, he was doing incline bench, and coach was scratching his head putting weight on there. He can do any of the weight. It doesn't even matter. It's crazy."

He doesn't seem to have a lot of wiggle. From a power and size perspective, he's unreal though.

Not a one hit wonder either. In his first 11 games he has the #1, #14 & #31 single game rushing totals in OU history.

This kid looks like Earl Campbell. He's 5'11", 243lbs. He's not a plodder. Surpising speed and insane power.

Today he's got 375 yards and 5 TDs. On his way to breaking the FBS record which was just broken last week. Still a whole quarter+ left in the game...

He's a stud in the making, and only a freshman. And he doesn't seem like a head case like Joe Mixon.

If he's not on your radar, he's is now.

I'll post some video links later when I get home.

Boomer!
Look up Tony Sands of KU, held the record sandwiched between Tomlinson and Faulk.

Not much of a pro career.

flash in the pan
Have you watched him play? He's legit.
Don't mind him, he's just butthurt.
Perine absolutely trucks people, seeking contact with every run as he lowers his shoulder, and breaks tackles with power. He drags piles for a few yards after you think the play should be dead to rights. He's almost never arm or shoestring tackled, has great vision, and also happens to be a well spoken straight A student. Best of all, he's a 19 year old true freshman.

Barring injury, his NFL future is very bright. It'll be fun to bump this thread again around the time of the 2017 draft. Until then, enjoy the show!

I love that he scores and has a "still got work to do" way about him and not spiking and all celebratory like his work is finished.

He doesn't look fast at all. Almost have to look at the other guys to see he is moving quickly

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine "possesses uncanny power at 5-11 and nearly 240 pounds, but can break long runs if he gets past the second level of the defense," notes NFL Media.

The site passes along an interesting comparison: As a freshman, Perine had 263 carries, 1,713 yards, 21 touchdowns and a 6.5-yard average while Adrian Peterson had 339 carries, 1,925 yards, 15 scores and a 5.7-yard average during his debut season. NFL Media ranks Perine as the No. 8 offensive player in the entire country.

Source: NFL.com
May 24 - 1:09 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine as the No. 3 College Football running backs to watch in 2015.

"Arm tackles are shredded when Perine powers through the line of scrimmage, and he's very efficient with his movement keeping his runs moving forward. Perine will get a chance to show whether or not he can be a capable receiving threat this season," Zierlein wrote. As a true freshman last season, Perine rushed for 1,713 yards, 21 touchdowns, posting a 6.5 yard average, earning Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year by the league's coaches.

Jun 23 - 3:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Samaje Perine - RB - Sooners

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter believes Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine is the early favorite to get named to the 2015 All-American first-team.

Reuter projects Perine to be joined in that backfield by Georgia sophomore RB Nick Chubb. "The stout but explosive Perine (5-11, 237) outdid Chubb by earning All-America honors, not just freshman accolades, in his freshman campaign, as he rushed for 1,713 yards and 21 touchdowns last season," he wrote. We don't agree with the prediction, but that's not because we question Perine's ability. The 5-foot-11, 243-pounder must share carries this season with gifted redshirt freshman RB Joe Mixon.

Jul 26 - 7:43 PM

We'll see how the share plays out. It's always debatable preseason when there is an established stud

He reportedly dropped some weight this offseason. I expect him to have another good year, even if he falls short of last year's #s. I went back and watched his highlights again recently. He's pretty talented. I would put Chubb and Elliott clearly ahead of him in terms of devy RBs. I think I like Henry more as well. I think Perine would be in my next group down. He has great balance and is more agile than you might think. Obviously power is a big plus for him. My only concern would be that big backs with suspect explosiveness haven't exactly set the NFL on fire lately. The fast twitch explosiveness/burst/speed are the things I will be watching closely this year. I know he has everything else.

He reportedly dropped some weight this offseason. I expect him to have another good year, even if he falls short of last year's #s. I went back and watched his highlights again recently. He's pretty talented. I would put Chubb and Elliott clearly ahead of him in terms of devy RBs. I think I like Henry more as well. I think Perine would be in my next group down. He has great balance and is more agile than you might think. Obviously power is a big plus for him. My only concern would be that big backs with suspect explosiveness haven't exactly set the NFL on fire lately. The fast twitch explosiveness/burst/speed are the things I will be watching closely this year. I know he has everything else.
I think Mixon will be the RB to watch in that backfield in 2015.

Hey EBF can I hijack this for one post to ask a Q- A QB just left the Sooners that was 4th to 6th ranked coming out of HS (Hanson I think) so going a month or so back to include him...is that a phenomenal group of QBs on one team or a hodgepodge with good talent around them?

Hey EBF can I hijack this for one post to ask a Q- A QB just left the Sooners that was 4th to 6th ranked coming out of HS (Hanson I think) so going a month or so back to include him...is that a phenomenal group of QBs on one team or a hodgepodge with good talent around them?
I really don't know anything about OU's QBs. Usually players transfer because they can't get playing time and that's usually a sign that they're not NFL material, but there are always exceptions.

HS recruiting rankings are correlated with NFL success, but it's pretty loose. Being ranked as a 4-5* prospect out of HS doesn't matter much as you get deeper into a player's NCAA career if he hasn't shown anything.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Its no big deal that Justice Hansen left other then depth for us. He was ranked 4 on the DC behind Baker Mayfield ( I'm pulling for him to win the job. He transferred from Texas Tech ) with Trevor Knight and Cody Thomas. True Freshman Connor McGinnis pretty much fills the void Justice left. Our new OC Lincoln Riley already landed a 2016 commitment from Austin Kendall who's a 4 star recruit per Rivals.

Rotoworld:

Samaje Perine - RB - Sooners

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine "us[es] his brute strength and agility to hit the second level regularly," notes NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter.

Following a monster freshman season in which he ran for 1,713 yards and 21 touchdowns, expectations this season are sky-high for Perine. Draft analysts are across-the-board impressed by his ability to muscle through tackles, with Reuter's colleague Lance Zierlein writing that the 5-foot-11, 237-pound back "shred" arm tackles when he hits the line of scrimmage. The rushing numbers are all there, though he does need to continue to develop in the passing game, having caught just 15 passes in 2014. Perhaps the only thing holding him back from a long-shot crack at a 2,000-yard rushing season is the presence of redshirt freshman RB Joe Mixon, who will likely see his own share of carries.

Aug 25 - 6:04 PM

As someone who lives in Sooner Nation, Perine is our best RB since Adrian Peterson(including Demarco Murray). The dude is the definition of an old school workhorse back, someone who you give the ball to 20+ times and have the defense completely worn down going into the 4th quarter.

Perine and Mixon gonna be like Reggie Bush and Lendale White. If we can get the consistency out of Baker that Knight lacked, and the D actually shows up this year, LOOKOUT!!

Perine and Mixon gonna be like Reggie Bush and Lendale White. If we can get the consistency out of Baker that Knight lacked, and the D actually shows up this year, LOOKOUT!!
And Mixon is 6-2 217. A lot bigger than Bush. Could be very special.

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine rushed for 36 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries in Saturday's 24-17 loss to Texas in the Red River Shootout.
Chalk up another lackluster performance by Perine, who has just one 100-plus yardage effort under his belt through five games. Saturday's touchdown was just the third of his season. The performance is made doubly puzzling given that Texas sports a rushing defense that had allowed an average of 210.60 rushing yards prior to their nice performance in the Red River Shootout. The 5-foot-11, 243-pound Perine's as talented as they come, but his 2015 campaign has been a disappointment thus far. Last year's 1,713-yard, 20-touchdown breakout campaign feels a long, long way off right now.

Oct 10 - 9:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine rushed for 36 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries in Saturday's 24-17 loss to Texas in the Red River Shootout.
Chalk up another lackluster performance by Perine, who has just one 100-plus yardage effort under his belt through five games. Saturday's touchdown was just the third of his season. The performance is made doubly puzzling given that Texas sports a rushing defense that had allowed an average of 210.60 rushing yards prior to their nice performance in the Red River Shootout. The 5-foot-11, 243-pound Perine's as talented as they come, but his 2015 campaign has been a disappointment thus far. Last year's 1,713-yard, 20-touchdown breakout campaign feels a long, long way off right now.

Oct 10 - 9:47 PM
Sounds like another over hyped prospect.

Perine and Mixon are like....are like....

Well $h*t. We'll never find out b/c they'll never get more than 10 carries in a game.

Perine as a talent is fine. He's a downhill runner that needs a head of steam and a lead blocker to run over ppl. This new air raid system that goes in shotgun every play is what's killing him.

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine said that he feels he's "getting the ball as much as [he] needs to get the ball."

Perine had just 10 carries in last weekend's loss to Texas. He did nothing with those carries, either, rushing for just 36 yards. It was the fourth game (out of five) in which he failed to rush for at least 100 yards. The 5-foot-11, 243-pound sophomore will try to rebound in Saturday's road date with Kansas State, but it's not a great match-up for Perine. This season, the Wildcats are surrendering just 105.20 yards rushing on average.

Source: Oklahoma Daily

Oct 16 - 10:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma sophomore RB Samaje Perine rushed for 90 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries in Saturday's 62-7 win over Kansas.

Last weekend, Perine exploded for 201 yards against the melted ice cream cone that is Texas Tech's defense. While Saturday's showing against Kansas wasn't quite as eye-popping, the 5-foot-11, 243-pound sophomore averaged 8.7 YPC. 353 of his 711 yards have come in the aforementioned Texas Tech contest and a 152-yard performance against Tulsa in September, but he's shown enough life over the last two contests that an interesting November could be in the cards.

Oct 31 - 8:49 PM

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma junior WR Dede Westbrook said that sophomore RB Samaje Perine is "that humble, unselfish guy."

Said Westbrook, "Whenever his number is called, that’s when he’s going to do Samaje things, but if you need Samaje to get out there and block somebody, he’s going to do it, no questions asked." Perine failed to repeat on his 1,713-yard, 21-touchdown freshman season this time around, but he came on strong after a slow start to the 2015 campaign, ultimately finishing out with rushing efforts of 166, 188 and 131 yards against Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State respectively. Overall, Perine's rushed for 1,291 yards and 15 touchdowns. He'll have a crack at Clemson's tough run defense in the CFB Playoff on New Year's Eve.

Source: ESPN.com

Dec 19 - 5:48 PM

Oklahoma junior RB Samaje Perine benched 225 pounds 100 times in one session last summer.
He did so by completing 10 sets of 10 in around a half-hour. According to Oklahoma HC Bob Stoops, Perine can also broad jump more than 10 feet. Star Sooners QB Baker Mayfield has several humorous takes on Perine, who Mayfield said "looks like he's about 40." Mayfield continued: "He plays around and tries to be gentle, but he's not very gentle. He doesn't know his own strength. He'll try to rub your neck and your shoulders, and it hurts really badly. He needs to calm down." Perine has collected 3,062 rushing yards and 37 touchdowns in two seasons.

Source: Oklahoma Daily 
Jun 13 - 7:04 PM

Oklahoma HC Bob Stoops indicated that junior RB Samaje Perine has fully recovered from offseason ankle surgery.
Perine underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left ankle following the team's Orange Bowl loss to Clemson. After an offseason of recovery, the 5-foot-11, 243-pounder appears to be back up to speed, at least if you listen to Bob Stoops, who said, "He looks better than ever, if that's possible." Perine rushed for 1,349 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. Now in his second season with OC Lincoln Riley, it wouldn't be a surprise if those numbers receive a slight boost due to an increased familiarity with Riley's offensive system.

Source: Chuck Carlton on Twitter

I like him. I think he's a high floor/low ceiling type.

He reminds me of players like Rudi Johnson and Shonn Greene. Might have a little more upside.

His wiggle seems alot better than those guys
Both of those guys were actually pretty light on their feet.

Rudi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIKmHtsqTw

Greene: https://youtu.be/1yPN0Oa2YqM?t=1m44s

The "plodder" reputations that they have might come from their fairly bland NFL production, but they could move quite well.

I think Perine is definitely the same species of RB. Low center of gravity. Light feet and loose hips for a big man. Okay, but not amazing initial burst and long speed. I don't think he will be a superstar in the NFL where sheer mobility is paramount for a back, but I'd say that Rudi/Greene is an overall positive comparison since both of those guys were multi-year 1000+ yard rushers in the NFL. If Perine can be a similar player with slightly better long run and receiving skills, he could flirt with some top 10 seasons and should at least have some good RB2 years. That's pretty much how I see him. Solid 2nd-3rd round NFL pick who will have some useful FF seasons.

I like him. I think he's a high floor/low ceiling type.

He reminds me of players like Rudi Johnson and Shonn Greene. Might have a little more upside.
I think he's considerably better than these guys.  Closer to Jamal Lewis or Earl Campbell (not saying that good -- just that there's a lot of room above Rudi and Greene as far as 2-down bangers go).  Only ding for me is that he doesn't catch the ball at all.

Lewis was a top 10 pick and I don't see that for Perine. It will surprise me if he's a first round pick. I think the NFL has evolved some since the days of Earl Campbell. There's still a place for these banger types, but it just seems to me that winning with mobility (i.e. Charles, McCoy, CJ2K) is more effective in the modern NFL than winning with sheer power. Just running guys over doesn't seem to work anymore. Most of the great backs of the past 10 years are guys who had something extra in terms of speed and/or elusiveness. Perine's quickness/speed/elusiveness are fine for his size, but he's not really an electric or dynamic runner. He's not Lynch or Peterson.

That said, yes there's some room between Greene/Rudi and Jamal Lewis. I can buy the idea that he's somewhere in the middle. He still looks like a two down thumper and not necessarily a super elite one (my guess is that he will be a 2nd round NFL draft pick, though it's hard to say for sure).

Users who are viewing this thread