What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fireplace guys. How much do you pay for wood (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
Just for quotes $400 for a cord, bundled and stacked. It's my first year if having a fireplace and this night last me a couple of years but I bought an 8 foot rack so figure I just load it up. Difference in price for a 4 foot and an 8 foot rock was minimal.

Does this stuff go bad? I have a cover..

here you find a guy with and old pickup and a chain saw, give him 80$ and a six pack, and he will deliver a truck load (about a chord) to you house. for another $40 adn a dube he will prolly split it for you.

oh, and you must burn your wood within 8 weeks or it goes bad.

My loving wife just went ahead and bought me a Stihl farm boss so that i could go ahead and get my own firewood. So now firewood is much cheaper, and as an added bonus the firewood heats me when i go get it, when i unload it, when i split it and when i burn it. God i love that woman.

In Brooklyn, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. Think it's around $70 a face cord far upstate. What wood are you quoted? We mainly burned Ash when I was growing up. (only heat on an upstate farm). Stay away from pine and make sure your chimney is cleaned.

I paid a low of $150 for a 'half a cord' of quality seasoned wood this year. It actually ended up being closer to a full cord after I stacked it. But, I live in NY and firewood prices have come way down since Sandy.

HTH

No standard pickup truck holds a full cord.

About half a cord, yes.

I've never had wood go bad after 8 weeks either.

This year and next: free, we had a bunch of trees taken down on our property.

Last year: $80 to fill my truck bed.

Deepster said:
225.00 a cord. Split, seasoned and delivered in CT. An extra 25.00 if you want it stacked.
Jesus, I live in NJ and they are charging double that for spilt seasoned wood

Also, how about the bundling option. Seems pretty expensive for something that I can't quite figure our why I'd need it. It's not like I am planning on selling off indict audibly wrapped bundles to neighbors. What is the advantage (at a 25% premium)

Klimtology said:
I paid a low of $150 for a 'half a cord' of quality seasoned wood this year. It actually ended up being closer to a full cord after I stacked it. But, I live in NY and firewood prices have come way down since Sandy.

HTH
This seems closer to the quote I got, too$325 for a cord unstacked

I find myself with a bunch of half burner logs when I'm done for the night. (Sort of charred in the middle but some dry wood on the top and bottom. What do you do with this?? Do you break off the ashed dark parts and throw the dried parts back on or just toss them all??

grateful zed said:
here you find a guy with and old pickup and a chain saw, give him 80$ and a six pack, and he will deliver a truck load (about a chord) to you house. for another $40 adn a dube he will prolly split it for you.

This is a lie. I have family who sits on his for a couple of years. Lets it season, dry out more, gets a better fire.

grateful zed said:

This is a lie shtick
HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the flue is open and we get a great updraft
I would guess if you had great updraft you wouldn't get smoke in the house. Does it get better when the fire heats up, like after a 15 minutes or so? I used to have trouble with my wood burning stove when it was really cold out. Took a while for the draft to get going when the air in flue was cold.

Buying firewood can be a PITA due to the rip-off artists that take advantage of people looking for a deal. Lots of guys sell wet(freshly cut)wood and claim that it's "seasoned". Wet or green wood doesn't burn very well, it smolders.

If you don't know what you are doing here's what I'd recommend.

Hardwood only(soft woods will mess up your flue and don't burn as long as hardwood)

Buy a Kiln dried pallet of wood. (Wood will be dry, easier to stack, and bug free)

The above criteria will cost more, but it's worth it.

Went with my BIL to cut and split wood this weekend. A tree fell down in a friend's house and he didn't have a way to remove it. All the free firewood we could take!

Previous years, the wife would order a chord of seasoned firewood for $200 from a place in NKY. They haul in a trailer, dump it and I stack it. Never had a fireplace til two years ago, as I'm more of a city boy. But I'm starting to learn. Even have my own axe, chainsaw, and maul!

Been getting a lot of smoke into the living room whenever we open the doors..any suggestions?
What do you have, a fire place insert? A wood stove? (I'm guessing it's one of these.) The issue, if it is one of those, is likely the rope gasket around the inside of the door that seals the door to the plate. You'd just need to go to a fire place store (they're around) and tell them what type of stove/fire place you have and they'll be able to sell you the gasket. You'll also need the gasket cement to replace the gasket cement you'll have to scrape off (not a quick task).

Does wood save you any money vs natural gas or even oil at today's prices?
5 years ago I got my fire place insert. We went from getting oil every 6 weeks to about every 14 weeks. Immense saving, even taking into account the price of the chain saw, the price of a log splitter (bought it from a rental place), POL, the log-length hardwood and my time.

BTW, I get log-length wood here in eastern Mass for about $100/cord.

Does wood save you any money vs natural gas or even oil at today's prices?
5 years ago I got my fire place insert. We went from getting oil every 6 weeks to about every 14 weeks. Immense saving, even taking into account the price of the chain saw, the price of a log splitter (bought it from a rental place), POL, the log-length hardwood and my time.

BTW, I get log-length wood here in eastern Mass for about $100/cord.
How much wood do you go through in a season & how much oil? I've considered an insert before, but after calculating cost of wood plus the daily effort to move wood into house and fill insert a few times a day, it just didn't seem worth it.

$400 for a cord?!?!? That's insane. I have 9 cord split out back, hardwoods oak, locust, cherry and beech. Probably enough for this year and some of next.

Woodstove rocks, haven't turned heat on yet, usually go 2+yrs between propane purchases. I haven't purchased wood in 4 yrs, the storms here have left a lot of free clean up. I have another year worth of wood in logs that need to be cut and split.

I would guess if you had great updraft you wouldn't get smoke in the house. Does it get better when the fire heats up, like after a 15 minutes or so? I used to have trouble with my wood burning stove when it was really cold out. Took a while for the draft to get going when the air in flue was cold.
the problem is that it was a custom built fireplace with a huge opening.. it's probably 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet. so although the updraft is great, the fact it has such a huge opening allows for smoke to escape.

I had to buy a custom built door since there was nothing even close available online

Been getting a lot of smoke into the living room whenever we open the doors..any suggestions?
What do you have, a fire place insert? A wood stove? (I'm guessing it's one of these.) The issue, if it is one of those, is likely the rope gasket around the inside of the door that seals the door to the plate. You'd just need to go to a fire place store (they're around) and tell them what type of stove/fire place you have and they'll be able to sell you the gasket. You'll also need the gasket cement to replace the gasket cement you'll have to scrape off (not a quick task).
no insert, just a huge opening

I did read that you should heat up the flue by burning some paper and holding it up the chimney

Seems some folks are talking "face cord", which is a 4x8 single stack vs true cord, which is basically 3 stacks of face cord (ie 4' deep). Around here (St Louis) you can get a face cord for 75-85.

Been splitting my own for years. It doesn't go bad in 8 weeks. Might not even go bad in 8 years if it's covered and off the ground (don't just have it sitting on dirt). Off the ground and covered via tarp or in a carport or covered area you'll be fine for at least 2 years.

That is an expensive price for a cord, though.

Users who are viewing this thread