What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CHANCE FOR HOPE FOUNDATION - 2019 Enchanted Night photos linked on page 5 (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
First of all, I want to thank everyone in the FFA for all of the support you have shown during the fifteen or so months since I shared the news regarding my sons cancer diagnosis. I have been truly overwhelmed by the emotional support, prayers, well wishes, and donations made in Chances name, which have been such a tremendous help to me, to my family, and to other families that have been touched by the devastating disease that is pediatric cancer. It has obviously been a difficult and painful journey for my family since Chances diagnosis in June of 2012. But there have also been many incredible memories and some of the most cherished moments of my life. The Chance for Hope Foundation is the next chapter in our lives.

The mission of the Chance for Hope Foundation is to provide support services for children with cancer and their families, funding for pediatric cancer research and treatment, and educational resources to the general public regarding pediatric cancer.

The centerpiece of the Foundations support services mission is the Chance for Hope Residence, which is a fully-furnished apartment in the Texas Medical Center, provided free of charge on a temporary basis to families traveling to the Texas Medical Center to undergo pediatric cancer treatments at one of the Centers member institutions. We signed our first lease in November and will begin providing free temporary housing on December 11, just a little over a week away. We plan to introduce a second Chance for Hope Residence in the first half of 2015, with the possibility for additional residences as funding allows. If you know of anyone who is traveling to the Texas Medical Center for pediatric cancer treatments and is in need of temporary housing, please contact us through the website link below. Additionally, as part of our support services effort, the Foundation will be delivering gift cards, goodies, and healthy meals to children undergoing inpatient cancer treatment and their families, as well as providing guidance and assistance with issues such as transportation, parking and local area resources.

Another focus of our Foundations mission will be to evaluate and provide grant funding for medical research designed to improve treatment protocols for pediatric cancer, with a focus on brain tumors and other cancers of the nervous system. As part of our research funding efforts, the Foundation will be working with its contacts at Texas Childrens Hospital (the largest pediatric cancer and blood disease center in the country) and MD Anderson Cancer Center (ranked by U.S. News as the #1 or #2 cancer hospital in the country every year since 1990).

A number of you have heard about our efforts to get this organization off the ground and have asked for more information. For this reason, I started this thread and provide the links below. I know that there are countless charities that are worthy of your support. But if you have an interest in supporting a grassroots organization dedicated to helping children with cancer and their families, please consider supporting the Chance for Hope Foundation.

Please know that the Foundations board members, officers and volunteers all donate their time to the organization. Not a dime will be paid for salaries or any other form of compensation. Additionally, because the Foundation is being run out of our home office, there is minimal overhead no rent, utilities, etc. As such, the dollars donated will go directly to the support services and research funding provided by the Foundation, with only minimal amounts spent on expenses such as printing and postage for our annual mail campaign and other related fundraising efforts.

Thank you once again for everything you have done for me, and for my family. I realize that by introducing the Chance for Hope Foundation in this manner, I am also introducing myself to all of you in a new way. My name is Scott, and I am proud to be a part of the FFA community. If you or anyone you know are ever in need of any of the services provided by the Chance for Hope Foundation, please reach out. It is our dream that Chance will continue to touch the lives of others through the good works of this organization. The Chance for Hope Foundation is his legacy.

www.chanceforhopefoundation.org

Facebook Page

Local News Article

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty incredible how quickly you've gone from managing your own loss to helping others. I'm rarely anything short of amazed by how you approach this situation, and this is no exception. Best of luck, my friend.
Thanks Bobby Sac. To be honest, my wife is the real strength behind this effort.

Otis posted this before, but Chance for Hope Foundation is listed as an eligible charity for the Amazon smiles program:

http://smile.amazon.com

If you buy stuff from amazon through the program, .5% of your purchase will be donated (the price of your item doesn't change, so it's basically just a free contribution).
Thanks for sharing this fg - my family (i.e. wife) seems to order something from Amazon daily. We will use this link from now on.

Otis posted this before, but Chance for Hope Foundation is listed as an eligible charity for the Amazon smiles program:

If you buy stuff from amazon through the program, .5% of your purchase will be donated (the price of your item doesn't change, so it's basically just a free contribution).
Wish I would have known about this before.

Done.

I'm setting this up now. The only Chance for Hope I see on Amazon is a California charity. Does anyone know how BBs charity is listed on Amazon?

I'm setting this up now. The only Chance for Hope I see on Amazon is a California charity. Does anyone know how BBs charity is listed on Amazon?
Chance For Hope Foundation, Pearland Texas.

And don't be like my wife and think that setting it up means you can just log in through regular amazon and it will work. Bookmark the smile.amazon site -- you have to make all your purchases from there for it to work.

I'm an idiot (I think). If you scroll through the list for a bit there's a Chance for Hope incorporated in Texas that I selected.

I'm an idiot (I think). If you scroll through the list for a bit there's a Chance for Hope incorporated in Texas that I selected.
Thanks, but there's no "incorporated" in our organization name. It's "Chance for Hope Foundation" and the listed city is Pearland, Texas. If you search "Chance for Hope Foundation", it comes up on my computer as the fifth listed organization. Thanks!

Are any of you graphic artists, either as a career or as a hobby? We are reaching out to see if we can find someone to help us design what I think will be a pretty simple infographic setting forth pediatric cancer facts that basically mimics a number of already existing infographics. And, yes, we are hoping that someone can do this work pro bono. We would count your work as an in-kind donation. I'd do it myself, but doing it well is beyond my Adobe Illustrator abilities. Here is a good example from another organization of what we want to put together, using our logo and color scheme, and slightly different data:

http://www.infographicspedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/cancer-facts-and-figures-of-childhood-cancer-infographic.jpg

There are a bunch of these types of infographics out there. We have graphic files for our logo, as well as the individual elements of the logo. We'd want use the red and periwinkle color scheme and use the specific facts set forth on our pediatric facts and cancer funding pages

http://chanceforhopefoundation.org/resources/pediatric-cancer-facts/

http://chanceforhopefoundation.org/resources/research-funding/

You'll see that we link to an infographic from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on our Pediatric Cancer Facts page. We'd like to develop one of our own (that will be shorter - more like the one linked in this post). I assume we could get public domain icons for use on the infographic.

If any one has the ability and the inclination to take on this project, please let me know. Thank you for your consideration!

Are any of you graphic artists, either as a career or as a hobby? We are reaching out to see if we can find someone to help us design what I think will be a pretty simple infographic setting forth pediatric cancer facts that basically mimics a number of already existing infographics. And, yes, we are hoping that someone can do this work pro bono. We would count your work as an in-kind donation. I'd do it myself, but doing it well is beyond my Adobe Illustrator abilities. Here is a good example from another organization of what we want to put together, using our logo and color scheme, and slightly different data:

http://www.infographicspedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/cancer-facts-and-figures-of-childhood-cancer-infographic.jpg

There are a bunch of these types of infographics out there. We have graphic files for our logo, as well as the individual elements of the logo. We'd want use the red and periwinkle color scheme and use the specific facts set forth on our pediatric facts and cancer funding pages

http://chanceforhopefoundation.org/resources/pediatric-cancer-facts/

http://chanceforhopefoundation.org/resources/research-funding/

You'll see that we link to an infographic from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on our Pediatric Cancer Facts page. We'd like to develop one of our own (that will be shorter - more like the one linked in this post). I assume we could get public domain icons for use on the infographic.

If any one has the ability and the inclination to take on this project, please let me know. Thank you for your consideration!
I got graphic artists in house at work. I will reach out to them.

Chance For Hope Foundation, Pearland Texas.And don't be like my wife and think that setting it up means you can just log in through regular amazon and it will work. Bookmark the smile.amazon site -- you have to make all your purchases from there for it to work.
Your wife is actually pretty smart. Since I set it up, every time I navigate to Amazon, it opens a pop up asking me if I would rather see the same page through the smile domain. I click yes, I purchase, and I leave. Piece of cake.

What you have shown here though within my skillset. feel free to send me data, logo files and thumb nail napkin sketches and I can get you something pretty useful, visual and functional for the short-to-mid term. Not hurt feelings from this end if you don't use it, or when you swap over to a better one.

Sorry, RFW, just saw this. JerryBuss is hooking me up with one of his contacts, but I really appreciate the offer! Looking forward to checking out your exihibit in February.

One of our designers is happy to help but has some question. I will PM you the questions and my email.
Uncle Jerry comes through again! We are so floored by how well the infographic turned out. Check it out HERE.
All I did was ask on of our graphic designers if they would and help. Alex decided to help and glad she did a good job. I don't know what she did beyond formatting but BB and crew had most of it in place when Alex got it. Either way all that matters is you are happy with it!

One of our designers is happy to help but has some question. I will PM you the questions and my email.
Uncle Jerry comes through again! We are so floored by how well the infographic turned out. Check it out HERE.
All I did was ask on of our graphic designers if they would and help. Alex decided to help and glad she did a good job. I don't know what she did beyond formatting but BB and crew had most of it in place when Alex got it. Either way all that matters is you are happy with it!
Oh, Alex did WAY more than that. All we gave her was a bullet point list in Word of the statistics, our logo and links to few examples of other infographics on the Internet. Alex did 100% of the graphic design and layout. And it came out great! In addition to posting on the Internet, we will be printing these as handouts for distribution at various events.

Our first big fundraising event will be on April 23 in Houston - the Chance for Hope 80s Prom Party, featuring a performance by The Spazmatics.

Here is one of the items that will be auctioned off: Gibbons Guitar

If you're in or around the Houston area, mark your calendars for April 23rd. It's going to be a lot of fun (i.e., not a stuffy charity gala).

By the way, we are signing a lease today for our second Chance for Hope Residence, which provides free temporary housing for pediatric cancer families while their children undergo cancer treatments at the medical center. Because of all the amazing support we've received, including from everyone here, we've been able to expand to our second residence a full year ahead of schedule. Exciting stuff.

We are also in the grant submission and review process and will be making a sizable research grant in the coming months. Will keep you all apprised.

Our first big fundraising event will be on April 23 in Houston - the Chance for Hope 80s Prom Party, featuring a performance by The Spazmatics.

Here is one of the items that will be auctioned off: Gibbons Guitar

If you're in or around the Houston area, mark your calendars for April 23rd. It's going to be a lot of fun (i.e., not a stuffy charity gala).
Awesome on the Gibbons guitar. One of those moments that I wish I was a normal FBG with infinite means

Wow!!!!! ZZ Top!!!!

So very cool, BB.

[Just adding text to make this thread easily located in a search, since we can't search C4H --- C4HF --- love following along to see all the amazing things you guys are doing, such an inspiration]

As most of you know, the FFA lost one of our longest standing and most respected members recently with the passing of Sean Gullen, Tremendous Upside, at the prime age of 37.

As BB has turned a personal tragedy into hope for so many others, and had the strength to share his story with us, it has been suggested that we honor Sean by honoring a charity I know he believed in.

In April, on a Saturday TBD, we will be hosting a bar crawl in memorium and celebration of Sean's life. It was an annual event in our lives until a couple years ago as we got busy with life and family. Every year we raised money for a charity.

This will be the innaugural year of the Sean Gullen TREMENDOUS UPSIDE bar crawl in the Village, NYC. All proceeds and donations will go to Chance For Hope in Sean's honor.

He would want it this way. Together we can do even more good for a cause that we all believe in as members of this community.

Just wanted to let folks know. More info to follow and for those who can join us, we welcome you. For those who can not, we welcome your spirit... And perhaps some support for Chance for Hope.

After this year, perhaps we can as a community have a weekend every year to host events across the country in support of BB and our collective cause and our collective remembrance of Chance and Sean. Whatever is raised to go to Chance for Hope.

Thank you BB for helping us see all of your humanity and allowing us to be apart of such good.

Wow. It means so much to me that you would choose to have our Foundation involved in any way in honoring Sean's memory, much less as a recipient of your collective generosity. I sincerely regret that I never got to meet Sean in person, but It's been good to see the pictures and read the memories shared by those who had the pleasure of knowing him IRL. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Let me know when you all settle on the date. I will make every effort to be there. It would be my privilege to be there crawling with you all and toasting Sean.

BB - I'll work with you re logistics. I can get very reasonable rooms out on Long Island, and an easy drive to the airports of people would prefer that over more costly NYC rooms.

We are trying to pick the date and it would be more than an honor to have you there - plus might be that much more reason for someone to join the festivities and/or contribute to the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread