What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fitbit? (1 Viewer)

I've had a Fitbit Zip for over a year. It's the little clip on one that you put on your waist or pocket. The most basic of their models. If I were you, I'd look at the Fitbit Charge, which is the newest one they have out. It's worn on the wrist, and monitors steps and sleep habits. It runs $129 but I saw it for $99 on Black Friday, so you may be able to jump on a deal in the next week or two. My wife wants one so I'm on the lookout myself.

why are these the new craze? Do people plan on adding additional workout time if they don't hit enough steps or is it to quatify what you are already doing?

I think the whole new line of FitBit products comes out early 2015. I know the wife wants it for Xmas, but you could either get a better product or probably save some cash on the current line when the new ones launch.

why are these the new craze? Do people plan on adding additional workout time if they don't hit enough steps or is it to quatify what you are already doing?
I think it's different for each person.

My aunt uses it just to count steps, and when she has a low step day she goes for an extra walk or something. She's lost some weight since she started using it and swears by it.

I'm interested in more than that so I just picked up the MS Band (comparable Fitbits launching next year) mainly for the constant heart rate monitoring. I've been on a cut recently and it's amazing how much guesswork is involved in getting ~500 calories below your "maintenance" every day. Being able to track your actual caloric output throughout the day seems pretty game changing to me. It also counts reps at the gym, monitors your sleeping patterns (another part I'm very interested in) and has a built-in GPS so you can leave your phone at home when you go for a run/ride.

My wife asked for one for her birthday in August. I bought it. It's still in the packaging but I hear they're great.
this. My wife wore it for a day and its been on the counter sinceIt may have to do with the fact that her iphone 4 didn't synch so its tough unless you are on the computer every day which she is not

Both me and the wife, amidst some "get super fit now that we're back in California" sentiments, wanted these for Christmas. Upon performing some basic due diligence, it appears these things are just fancy pedometers. Can anyone dispel this?

The wife tells me that you really have to swing your arms as you would doing a quicker walk for the steps to be counted. The "tracking your sleep" thing basically just tells you if you were moving around a lot or not during the night. Doesn't have a heart rate monitor (I guess this is an option and you have to wear some goofy belt around your midsection).

For 100 bucks I can think of about 100 things I'd rather have.... unless my wife's research was too narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wanting one, but really there's not much to see - YET. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but all you get is from the device is step count, heart rate and a primitive sleep log.

Big fan and long time user...

You dont need to swing your arms wildly to get it to register. It's almost too sensitive. I have to take it off when playing piano or it goes nuts on me.

Very useful to compete with others and keep each other motivated.

I use it with 6 of my coworkers and we do a workday challenge where the goal is 50K steps for the week. Since you can see other peoples steps and progress, it's fun to heckle them or encourage them. We get so competitive that we wind up walking 80k steps some weeks (this is a LOT of walking)

We, of course, turned it into a gambling venture (which I actually thought about asking any FFAers if they want in)

Any day you dont hit 10K steps, you put 5 dollars into the pool. After 3 months, the person with the most steps total wins the pool money.

Don't want to put your money in? Then walk, jog, or exercise and get your steps up.

It's great.

You dont need to swing your arms wildly to get it to register. It's almost too sensitive. I have to take it off when playing piano or it goes nuts on me.

I use it with 6 of my coworkers and we do a workday challenge where the goal is 50K steps for the week. Since you can see other peoples steps and progress, it's fun to heckle them or encourage them. We get so competitive that we wind up walking 80k steps some weeks (this is a LOT of walking)

We, of course, turned it into a gambling venture (which I actually thought about asking any FFAers if they want in)

Any day you dont hit 10K steps, you put 5 dollars into the pool. After 3 months, the person with the most steps total wins the pool money.

Don't want to put your money in? Then walk, jog, or exercise and get your steps up.

It's great.
I may have to get one and gamble sexual favors with mrs acerDoes anyone know if you can synch two different fitbits on one phone. Like I said, my wifes phone is too old

I'm holding out until they have built in heart rate monitors.
I had the opportunity to preorder this model yesterday. It's billed as an ultimate fitness watch and also has GPS, caller ID, etc. Supposed to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow.

It's great.
I may have to get one and gamble sexual favors with mrs acerDoes anyone know if you can synch two different fitbits on one phone. Like I said, my wifes phone is too old
My wife has a 4s and it synced fine.

Been using 1 for 4 months now to track my steps/run. Sensitivity is not an issue if you change the setting to non-dominant wrist. For me it was confirming what inhale been doing rather than motivation. Big vibrations really mess with it by putting it in and out of sleep time. Pushing a shopping cart on asphalt comes to mind. I want the new ChargeHR or a Surge. My flex seems to have issues sometimes charging. Overall I would say it is pretty solid.

It's great.
My wife has a 4s and it synced fine.
my wife only has the 4 and has no desire to upgrade

I absolutely go for a stroll around the neighborhood in the evening when I'm close to my step goal that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Have the FitBit One. Wore it everyday for a few months, been slacking recently. I'll say the same as the others, I'd use it to "Keep score" and would find myself doing stairs at night to hit the 10K goal.

Wore it around disney and was amazed at the mileage I logged there.

The other great feature on mine is the silent alarm. Even though mine is clip on FitBit, it came with a wrist strap and vibrates in the AM to wake me up. Was perfect when I was on off times with my wife b/c I didn't need the loud alarm waking both of us up. Now I use it exclusively as my alarm.

I'm holding out until they have built in heart rate monitors.
I had the opportunity to preorder this model yesterday. It's billed as an ultimate fitness watch and also has GPS, caller ID, etc. Supposed to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow.

Am I missing the link in your post? What model?

Thanks for all the input, for the ones with heart rate, do you have to wear a chest strap for this? Wasn't clear while looking on amazon.

Yak - I got in on presale for the Surge. It has a wrist based heart rate monitor but won't be on sale for the general public until next year.

Seems like it is a gimmick to trick weak people into thinking they will be more active if they get their product. Anyone that needs a silly wrist band to be active won't be staying active very long. Fitbit laughing it up to the bank

Seems like it is a gimmick to trick weak people into thinking they will be more active if they get their product. Anyone that needs a silly wrist band to be active won't be staying active very long. Fitbit laughing it up to the bank
I would doubt these are useful at all for non active people. :confused:

popsecret said:
Might look like that but like Google Glass & Apple watches this is just the beginning of the wearable technology industry.

Wife got me the jawbone up 24 for xmas. So far I'm just baselining and entering my calories. It serves more as a reminder to eat right and stay active than anything.

Wife got me the jawbone up 24 for xmas. So far I'm just baselining and entering my calories. It serves more as a reminder to eat right and stay active than anything.
This is what I'm thinking. Just having a way to engage with the effort seems like it would have benefits in itself.

The surge just looks too big in the photos I've seen with people wearing it. The chargehr might be the best option for me.

Mine is supposed to be here today. Will report back.

Happy to "friend" with anyone that wants to keep each other accountable as well

Does anyone actually have the dimensions of the surge? Like height/width and stuff? I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone actually have the dimensions of the surge? Like height/width and stuff? I can't seem to find it.
It has it on their web site

20.88mm x 24.36mm

ETA and the band is 1.34"

The surge just looks too big in the photos I've seen with people wearing it. The chargehr might be the best option for me.
The Surge is definitely a watch-sized item, thus the billing as a "fitness super watch." I love mine but it necessitated putting my other watch away. I think the HRM and GPS play a huge part in the size. Still, it's smaller than my Garmin 10 was.

The Surge is definitely a watch-sized item, thus the billing as a "fitness super watch." I love mine but it necessitated putting my other watch away. I think the HRM and GPS play a huge part in the size. Still, it's smaller than my Garmin 10 was.
having no real need for gps i think I'll pass on it. ChargeHR it is.

Also got an aria scale to track lean/fat. I'm not really confident in the accuracy to the decimal point but it should help spot trends.

Keeping an eye on this because I'm interested in a watch with GPS and HR for when I go on a run to let me know my pace and HR as well as how far I've run. My old Garmin finally crapped out so I'm in the market for a new one. Somewhat interested in what the all day tracking info (steps, sleep, etc) would show too. My concern is the reported problems with in-watch (as opposed to chest strap) HR monitoring accuracy. I'll wait for more reviews to come in on that before committing to buy. Don't want to drop $250 and then find out HR is off on long runs and other exercise.

I got the One for Christmas and I like it. I also have it integrated with the MyFitnessPal app, which is neat. I know that ultimately no gadget is going to make me healthier, but I like it.

Keeping an eye on this because I'm interested in a watch with GPS and HR for when I go on a run to let me know my pace and HR as well as how far I've run. My old Garmin finally crapped out so I'm in the market for a new one. Somewhat interested in what the all day tracking info (steps, sleep, etc) would show too. My concern is the reported problems with in-watch (as opposed to chest strap) HR monitoring accuracy. I'll wait for more reviews to come in on that before committing to buy. Don't want to drop $250 and then find out HR is off on long runs and other exercise.
Garmin just announced their new lineup today. Check their site too.

Users who are viewing this thread