What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fitbit? (1 Viewer)

I have the Flex, it motivates me to park at the back of the parking lot and take an extra walk at the end of the day. The syncing with myfitnesspal is very nice as well (MFP food database us much better than the fitbit one).

I like the sleep monitoring as well, helps me understand why sometimes I wake up tired.

I wonder if the one with GPS would be able to tell that steps travelling at 65mph shouldn't count.

not sure if any of the models have this.. but it would be cool to have the fitbit vibrate when sitting for too long without walking.. lets say every hour remind me to go walk for 15 minutes.. I tend to sit too much at work and lose track of time browsing this and other forums

not sure if any of the models have this.. but it would be cool to have the fitbit vibrate when sitting for too long without walking.. lets say every hour remind me to go walk for 15 minutes.. I tend to sit too much at work and lose track of time browsing this and other forums
the basis does this. and the fitbit app will send you push notifications periodically to tell you to get off your ### to your phone.

not sure I see the value in the jawbone up 3 for 50 bucks more than the ChargeHR. You get no screen or caller id and it looks a little fugly

I wonder if the one with GPS would be able to tell that steps travelling at 65mph shouldn't count.
I don't think so. The GPS has to be turned on to work. It's a real battery crusher.The watch has a setting called Starburst that shows minute by minute activity so it's really easy to look down and see a flat line for an extended period which usually motivates me to get off my ### and move.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure I see the value in the jawbone up 3 for 50 bucks more than the ChargeHR. You get no screen or caller id and it looks a little fugly
It's for my wife, and she doesn't want the screen or caller ID. She has a lot of sleep issues, and it seems to be the most advanced when it comes to sensing sleep patterns. I was a little worried about the fugly part, but I showed it to her and she was cool with it. I decided to order one for myself as well. (we'll match, awww cute!)

It's purely a fitness tracker, none of the other stuff. It uses the same technology that the bodybugg uses where it measures way more than just heart rate to calculate calories. Plus it gives you 24hr heart rate tracking and a sleep tracker. I don't think it's fugly.

Can you synch two fitbits on one app

My wife is not a phone girl. She has the iphone 4 which is ancient and she is in no rush to upgrade. But the fitbit doesnt synch with her phone

If I get a charge HR and she has a flex, can both be synched to my note 3?

Was looking at waiting for the Surge to come out. Any opinions/experiences on Fitbit vs the others?

My wife is not a phone girl. She has the iphone 4 which is ancient and she is in no rush to upgrade. But the fitbit doesnt synch with her phone

Yeah i think you can sync like 8 things through one device. Also can go thru a laptop as well.

Yeah i think you can sync like 8 things through one device. Also can go thru a laptop as well.
thanks

who has time to walk 15 minutes out of every hour?

The jawbone thing is interesting. They say the might support continuous HR later on through a software patch, but that resting heart rate is a better metric of overall health. I sort of get that.

That leaves you reaching for a chest strap for HIIT type workouts if you want that level of granularity. I mean I sort of understand the idea that you really only need continuous heart rate for activity periods, but worry that cycling, and weightlifting, and cross training type stuff that I lean to would get under-counted by jawbone.

The general reliability of jawbones have been really poor in the past.

Tough choices.

culdeus said:
VA703 said:
the basis does this. and the fitbit app will send you push notifications periodically to tell you to get off your ### to your phone.
Basis does not do this....at least the Peak doesn't. Had one for about a month prior to returning it.

Here's my first problem with the Charge HR

I ordered the Large, even though I dont have big wrists (I swear a size small golf glove, small sized men's gloves in general) (for some reason I have size 12.5 feet and Small hands, I don't get it - ok...moving on)

It states to wear the Fitbit about one fingers length UP your wrist away from the wrist bone, and when going into excercise mode, it would be more accurate 2-3 fingers up your wrist.

Impossible - I'm already at the last rung and it's hugging my wrist almost too much as it is.

This is more than just a little irritating

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Note 4 is not supported yet through Fitbit. Meaning, I can update my steps via bluetooth but won't be receiving any phone calls or texts direct to my new FitBit.

Who wants a brand new fitbit charge HR?!?!?

Shoot, I just ordered one. When I sized it, I didnt see all that info. I printed out the testing strip and it read large for me.

Maybe ill be able to return it to the store when it comes in. My wife says she does that sometimes.

Shoot, I just ordered one. When I sized it, I didnt see all that info. I printed out the testing strip and it read large for me.

Maybe ill be able to return it to the store when it comes in. My wife says she does that sometimes.
What's weird is, if hanging loosely on my wrist, it feels fine

then during the set up process it tells you to wear it 1 finger length UP away from your wristbone and 2-3 finger lengths when you're excercising to get an accurate reading.

It might feel ok when you first put it on, but once you see the set up instructions, that's when it gets tight.

Let me know how this goes for you please. Mine is so off that I feel like I got a defective model

What's weird is, if hanging loosely on my wrist, it feels finethen during the set up process it tells you to wear it 1 finger length UP away from your wristbone and 2-3 finger lengths when you're excercising to get an accurate reading.

It might feel ok when you first put it on, but once you see the set up instructions, that's when it gets tight.

Let me know how this goes for you please. Mine is so off that I feel like I got a defective model
you made me want to not.open it.

What's weird is, if hanging loosely on my wrist, it feels finethen during the set up process it tells you to wear it 1 finger length UP away from your wristbone and 2-3 finger lengths when you're excercising to get an accurate reading.

My choice would be UP3, Basis Peak (integration with other apps biggest issue), Fenix 3 (Need HR strap but nice watch), Fitbit Surge.

zDragon said:
AcerFC said:
John Bender said:
AcerFC said:

My choice would be UP3, Basis Peak (integration with other apps biggest issue), Fenix 3 (Need HR strap but nice watch), Fitbit Surge.
why? Break this down for me if you could

I just used the printed template 2-3 fingers up from the wrist bone and it was just barely still in Large

At this point I'm holding out for the Garmin Vivoactive...

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/vivo/vivoactive/

GPS, chest strap for accurate heart rate, running and biking modes which I need plus swimming and golf which I may use too, something called Garmin Connect where they can add additional functionality down the road.

- Fitbit like step and sleep tracking

- 3 week (or 10 hour when GPS on) battery life

- Phone pairing and notifications

- Thin and not horrible looking

Downside is it doesn't come out until Spring and I could use something now since it seems like the chest strap crapped out on my old Garmin (after 5+ years).

At this point I'm holding out for the Garmin Vivoactive...

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/vivo/vivoactive/

GPS, chest strap for accurate heart rate, running and biking modes which I need plus swimming and golf which I may use too, something called Garmin Connect where they can add additional functionality down the road.

- Fitbit like step and sleep tracking

- 3 week (or 10 hour when GPS on) battery life

- Phone pairing and notifications

- Thin and not horrible looking

Downside is it doesn't come out until Spring and I could use something now since it seems like the chest strap crapped out on my old Garmin (after 5+ years).
Maybe not a dealbreaker, or perhaps a plus, garmin uses ant+ hrm which hasn't totally caught on yet as far as compatability with other systems. Just a FYI you might not care.

and garmin connect is basically a place to host your workouts where you can share them to facebook or whatever

Just got the large hr

Was real nervous about it after benders post. It fits fine. I can wear it three fingers up past my wrist bone and still have four rungs left on the watch.

Its charging now so no other real details except the fact that the caller ID works

I just used the printed template 2-3 fingers up from the wrist bone and it was just barely still in Large
UP3 - Not Release

I am still waiting for the UP3 but it is my first choice because the type of sensors it is using and size.

-Uses Bio-impedance for HR. This should give a better HR reading that the current optical sensors. The only one I have used that is even close to being accurate during exercise is the Basis Peak. It would still drop out during work outs. The Microsoft Band and Samsung were not even close to a strap during heavy work-outs. Although, I have seen people say it was almost dead on. It might depend on your wrist since it is pretty much a hand-cuff.

-Bio-impedences sensors will give you more insights than the other bands with such things a respiration and GSR. It could even pull LBM if they wanted it to.

-Size. The smaller the band the better in my opinion.

-Software. So far the UP software has been great and integrates with all the major players.

Basis Peak (Used for a month)

Second on the list is the Basis Peak. Great sleep tracking, GVR, ambient temp, and HR used to calculate calories and sleep. Add a comfortable and replaceable band and it is easily my second choice. Better software could put it past the UP3.

-Display isasy to read and the touch screen is just fantastic.

-The Peak has a few sensors the FitBit Surge does not such as GVR, ambient temp, etc. This helps it get a better calorie burn number and workout effort calculation.

-Very comfortable to wear no different than a normal watch. You can also switch bands if you like something better.

-Hear rate seems very accurate but does drop out during hard routines.

-Software - Very closed system and does not integrate with any of the major apps. Notifications have been promised and are still running late a month later. If this improved it would probably be my top pick.

-Sleep is automated and it even track REM sleep. Best sleep tracker I have used to date. It uses GVR, Heart rate and movement to determine sleep states.

FitBit Surge (Currently Testing)

Still testing this out but the added GPS does not make up for the lack of GVR, REM sleep, ambient temperature sensors.

-Very comfortable to wear. Not on par with the Peak but much better than the Band and other stiff trackers.

-Notifications work like a charm but are not a major factor for me.

-Music Control is kinda cool when I am listening to Spotify new music Tuesday.

-Display is crap compared to the Peak. Hard to read and back lighting is not great. I do like the flare clock face that show my activity by the minute for the hour.

-Heart rate seems to be accurate and I have not lost HR except when have taken it off.

-Sleep is automated but does not seem any better than the older Fitbits. Plus it can not catch a 20 minute nap like the Peak. The shortest sleep it catches is one hour.

Just got the large hr

Was real nervous about it after benders post. It fits fine. I can wear it three fingers up past my wrist bone and still have four rungs left on the watch.

Its charging now so no other real details except the fact that the caller ID works
Caller ID works perfectly. Only problem is the size and getting to it.

UP3 - Not Release

I am still waiting for the UP3 but it is my first choice because the type of sensors it is using and size.

-Uses Bio-impedance for HR. This should give a better HR reading that the current optical sensors. The only one I have used that is even close to being accurate during exercise is the Basis Peak. It would still drop out during work outs. The Microsoft Band and Samsung were not even close to a strap during heavy work-outs. Although, I have seen people say it was almost dead on. It might depend on your wrist since it is pretty much a hand-cuff.

-Bio-impedences sensors will give you more insights than the other bands with such things a respiration and GSR. It could even pull LBM if they wanted it to.

-Software. So far the UP software has been great and integrates with all the major players.

Second on the list is the Basis Peak. Great sleep tracking, GVR, ambient temp, and HR used to calculate calories and sleep. Add a comfortable and replaceable band and it is easily my second choice. Better software could put it past the UP3.

-The Peak has a few sensors the FitBit Surge does not such as GVR, ambient temp, etc. This helps it get a better calorie burn number and workout effort calculation.

-Very comfortable to wear no different than a normal watch. You can also switch bands if you like something better.

-Software - Very closed system and does not integrate with any of the major apps. Notifications have been promised and are still running late a month later. If this improved it would probably be my top pick.

-Sleep is automated and it even track REM sleep. Best sleep tracker I have used to date. It uses GVR, Heart rate and movement to determine sleep states.

Still testing this out but the added GPS does not make up for the lack of GVR, REM sleep, ambient temperature sensors.

-Very comfortable to wear. Not on par with the Peak but much better than the Band and other stiff trackers.

-Display is crap compared to the Peak. Hard to read and back lighting is not great. I do like the flare clock face that show my activity by the minute for the hour.

-Heart rate seems to be accurate and I have not lost HR except when have taken it off.

-Sleep is automated but does not seem any better than the older Fitbits. Plus it can not catch a 20 minute nap like the Peak. The shortest sleep it catches is one hour.
I'm in on up3, but how the hell would it give you a LBM?

UP3 - Not Release

Just like the Bio-Impedance scales do it. It sends an electrical signal through your body and it can determine a rough body fat percentage, water %, etc. Having your weight would make the LBM calculation possible.

I got a Charge HR as well. Very happy with it so far.

This may be obvious, but random tip/info - I am often walking pushing a stroller that contains one or both of my offspring. The Fitbit wasn't capturing my steps due to the fact that my wrist wasn't moving normally. I put it in my pocket instead and it seemed to work fine.

UP3 - Not Release

Just like the Bio-Impedance scales do it. It sends an electrical signal through your body and it can determine a rough body fat percentage, water %, etc. Having your weight would make the LBM calculation possible.
But the BI scales use two points with something to pass between like your legs. One point on your arm isn't enough to get an impedance based measurement unless you used it as one terminal while standing on a scale. (Which would be a pretty good idea actually)

Just got the large hr

I'm baffled like I said.

I must have been sent the small. Even the box was labelled large. Going to see about exchanging it.

UP3 - Not Release

But the BI scales use two points with something to pass between like your legs. One point on your arm isn't enough to get an impedance based measurement unless you used it as one terminal while standing on a scale. (Which would be a pretty good idea actually)
My understanding for the UP3 to work it has to have two points. I think they do it on the wrist only not sure.

Just got the large hr

I'm baffled like I said.

I must have been sent the small. Even the box was labelled large. Going to see about exchanging it.
let me know what you are doing, i might be interested in it...still researching.

I use a FB One and I'm looking to move away from the clip on. I was looking at the FB Flex, but I also need a HR monitor for some distance/Tough Mudder training I'm starting. If i can get it in one device, cool...otherwise I'll go with the flex and get a separate HR monitor

Just got the large hr

I'm baffled like I said.

let me know what you are doing, i might be interested in it...still researching.

I use a FB One and I'm looking to move away from the clip on. I was looking at the FB Flex, but I also need a HR monitor for some distance/Tough Mudder training I'm starting. If i can get it in one device, cool...otherwise I'll go with the flex and get a separate HR monitor
I do like the way the fitbit shows you which Zone you are in. So you can tell if you spent 10 minutes in fat burn, 20 in cardio, and 40 in peak zone.

Will disagree with the Fitbit Surge review regarding the lack of nap tracking. I took a 45 minute nap today that was recorded in the software.

Will disagree with the Fitbit Surge review regarding the lack of nap tracking. I took a 45 minute nap today that was recorded in the software.
Yeah, it has missed every nap I have taken. I went to the faq to pull that number. So not sure why yours tracked a 45 minute nap. Maybe they have updated the firmware on some devices.

CAN I LOG A NAP?

Yes. If your tracker tracks sleep automatically, all naps over an hour in length should be automatically tracked. For other trackers, simply put your tracker into sleep mode.

Yeah, it has missed every nap I have taken. I went to the faq to pull that number. So not sure why yours tracked a 45 minute nap. Maybe they have updated the firmware on some devices.

CAN I LOG A NAP?

Yes. If your tracker tracks sleep automatically, all naps over an hour in length should be automatically tracked. For other trackers, simply put your tracker into sleep mode.
Clearly I take superior naps and my device recognized it as such.

Im new to the fitbit universe

How accurate is this thing supposed to be?

I woke up and it said I had 86 steps. Then it increased 30 steps on my drive to work (no jerking off)

It does a very poor job of picking up stairs I have walked. Between home and work I have easily done 30 and it has recorded 3

I just dont want to think I hit 10,000 steps and really only did 5,000

I always think the driving steps get cancelled out with other steps it misses. If you wear it on your wrist it's gonna pick up some bad steps. Accuracy of the belt ones is better.

Up3 now shows another 12 weeks out for me

It does a very poor job of picking up stairs I have walked. Between home and work I have easily done 30 and it has recorded 3
It tracks number of stories, not stairs. They assume that a story is 10 feet, so for every 10 feet you climb, it records one story. So in your case, 30 stairs as 3 stories is probably pretty close. I used the fitbit while hiking up a (small) mountain recently. When I got to the top it said I had climbed 75 floors. The elevation at the top was 761 feet. I was impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread