What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kamar Aiken- anything to see here? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Kamar Aiken - WR - Ravens

Ravens WR Kamar Aiken is running with the first-team offense at OTAs.

The Ravens aren't handing the job opposite Steve Smith Sr. to first-round pick Breshad Perriman just yet. While Perriman's talent is very likely to win out in the end, he had enough red flags coming out of UCF that this could be something of a battle to watch. Aiken is no slouch himself, running 4.45 at 6-foot-1, 213 and coming off a 24-267-3 line as a sub-package receiver.

Related: Breshad Perriman

Source: Luke Jones on Twitter

Jun 3 - 10:30 PM

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun suggests Kamar Aiken is a legitimate competitor for the Ravens' No. 2 receiver job across from Steve Smith.

His competition is first-round draft pick Breshad Perriman. The Sun also leaves the door open for Aiken to serve as a third wide receiver, "or splitting time with Marlon Brown" behind Smith and Perriman. Our money is on Perriman winning the job, but we wouldn't entirely sleep on Aiken. Aiken is running with the first-team offense at spring practices, where he's "executed a series of acrobatic sideline catches and flashed speed on deep routes for touchdowns."

Source: Baltimore Sun
Jun 12 - 2:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Ravens WR Kamar Aiken "consistently" practiced with the first-team offense at spring workouts, ahead of Breshad Perriman.

The Ravens aren't handing a starting job to first-round pick Perriman, who "needs to become more consistent" after showing a propensity for dropped passes in OTAs and minicamp. Perriman also struggled with drops at UCF. Unlike the Panthers last year with Kelvin Benjamin, the Ravens seem hesitant to throw Perriman into the fire. This is a camp battle to watch throughout August.

Jul 28 - 8:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Ravens WR Kamar Aiken "consistently" practiced with the first-team offense at spring workouts, ahead of Breshad Perriman.

The Ravens aren't handing a starting job to first-round pick Perriman, who "needs to become more consistent" after showing a propensity for dropped passes in OTAs and minicamp. Perriman also struggled with drops at UCF. Unlike the Panthers last year with Kelvin Benjamin, the Ravens seem hesitant to throw Perriman into the fire. This is a camp battle to watch throughout August.

Jul 28 - 8:04 PM
Between the situation with Perriman, Maxx Williams struggling a bit (and rookie TEs usually are invisible), and an aging Steve Smith, I am eyeballing Aiken like mad. I have yet to pull the trigger in my MFL10s, but I may soon.

Rotoworld:

Kamar Aiken is listed with the first-team offense on the Ravens' first depth chart of training camp.

Crockett Gillmore is also ahead of rookie Maxx Williams at tight end, as expected. Aiken's primary competition is first-round pick Breshad Perriman, who opened camp with the first-team offense but "bruised and strained" his knee in the Ravens' first practice, and has been on the shelf ever since. To win the starting job, Perriman needs to get back on the field to beat out the steady Aiken.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Aug 6 - 7:02 PM

The way I see it, he had a few games last year where he was targeted pretty heavily. There is more opportunity for that this year. He will invariably have some decent games. I would not take him in redraft unless it was a very deep bench, but in dynasty I don't see how he is worse than most teams number 3 WR from a potential perspective. And who knows? Smiff is not going to be around much longer, and if the relationship develops with Flacco he could be the primary target in another year or two.

Potential upside due to Perriman injury? Of course, old man Smith rules....but someone else has step up. Aiken or Marlon Brown...

Potential upside due to Perriman injury? Of course, old man Smith rules....but someone else has step up. Aiken or Marlon Brown...
Meh. Perriman hasn't played all year. Aiken has been in on 162 offensive snaps (75.7%) and Brown for 160 (74.8%) both have 6 catches on 11 targets. I'm thinking Crockett Gilmore (161 snaps, 10 catches, 13 targets, 2 TDs) is probably the best play because at least you get the red zone/goal line threat.

What are everyone's thoughts on this guy? Was the Steve Smith injury bad? They really do not have any weapons on offense and they will be playing from behind a lot with how bad the defense is. Keeping this guy stashed on my bench for now, but if he puts up another game like this week he might be considered start-able, especially with bye weeks coming.

It's truly criminal how poorly the Ravens have done at getting Flacco weapons. Aiken is a UDFA 5 years in the league and he's getting tons of targets.

You never know i suppose. I grabbed him in dynasty.

Anyone else rolling the dice with Aiken today? I have him in over M. Bryant, S. Johnson, and M. Jones, and T. Montgomery.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Steve Smith Sr. (questionable, back) is expected to play Sunday against the 49ers.

Smith Sr. didn't show his usual burst at practice this week and told reporters as recently as Friday that he didn't expect to play. But with Baltimore in danger of falling to 1-5, it appears Smith Sr. is willing to give it a go. He should be a borderline WR1 on volume alone, even at much less than 100 percent. With Smith back in the fold, Kamar Aiken should see a lighter workload this week.
Man, I got Aiken in a lot of lineups. Anyone think SSS might be more of a decoy this week? Toughest SOB playing but one would think Flacco wont want to pepper Smith today and limit his exposure to hits.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Steve Smith Sr. (questionable, back) is expected to play Sunday against the 49ers.

Smith Sr. didn't show his usual burst at practice this week and told reporters as recently as Friday that he didn't expect to play. But with Baltimore in danger of falling to 1-5, it appears Smith Sr. is willing to give it a go. He should be a borderline WR1 on volume alone, even at much less than 100 percent. With Smith back in the fold, Kamar Aiken should see a lighter workload this week.
Man, I got Aiken in a lot of lineups. Anyone think SSS might be more of a decoy this week? Toughest SOB playing but one would think Flacco wont want to pepper Smith today and limit his exposure to hits.
I still think Aiken could have an OK game but I'm pulling him from all the DFS lineups where I had him. Bummer, really liked the price on Fanduel for him this week with a great matchup.

Man the Ravens are a mess. Bad enough about their defensive woes, now WR's and RB's taking a hit -- I have SSS too, but based on what he said earlier this week, can't believe he'll be out there and if so, it would pain me to see him just decoy (and really, decoy for who...lol?!?). Aiken has looked better than I expected and I'd still feel comfortable starting him. Gilmore is also a wild card here --

Man the Ravens are a mess. Bad enough about their defensive woes, now WR's and RB's taking a hit -- I have SSS too, but based on what he said earlier this week, can't believe he'll be out there and if so, it would pain me to see him just decoy (and really, decoy for who...lol?!?). Aiken has looked better than I expected and I'd still feel comfortable starting him. Gilmore is also a wild card here --
For now I'm keeping Aiken in my season long lineup in a dual flex spot where Sproles is my other option. Not excited about his upside if Smith is on the field, though.

I still think Aiken could have an OK game but I'm pulling him from all the DFS lineups where I had him. Bummer, really liked the price on Fanduel for him this week with a great matchup.
I'm in the exact same boat. I do think that if SS plays, he won't do much and Aiken should still have a good game though. If I do switch, I'll probably use Randle.

It wouldn't surprise me to see SS tough it out and have a big game. He is a tough dude. It's just that for those of us starting Aiken we may not have a real viable alternative this week.

When Smith missed week 5, Aiken played on 91% of the snaps and drew 9 targets. On volume alone he has to be treated as a WR3 moving forward no?

When Smith missed week 5, Aiken played on 91% of the snaps and drew 9 targets. On volume alone he has to be treated as a WR3 moving forward no?
I hope so because I am banking on it. Someone has to get targets. He won't be as effective as Smith, but I think effective enough that you can play him every week and get decent production. The kind of guy that won't win you any games, but won't lose you any games either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if I should try to use my No 4 waiver on him or hold and possibly move up to the top spot this week. Could use a more stable flex WR. Just have a couple inconsistent guys who are No 2 WRs on their teams.

I keep thinking there must be another thread on Aiken.

UDFA out of Central Florida last year, he stands alone as the main man on the Baltimore receiving squad. He has Flacco throwing to him, a poor defense causing them to drive the ball forward a lot.

Givens seems like the main other option. Crockette maybe. Something has to give here eventually? RW describes him as a possession receiver, not sure if that's true. [edited]

UDFA out of Central Florida last year, he stands alone as the main man on the Baltimore receiving squad. He has Flacco throwing to him, a poor defense causing them to drive the ball forward a lot.

Givens seems like the main other option. Crockette maybe. Something has to give here eventually, I guess maybe he's really best described as a possession receiver?
It's a little late but here's all of his targets vs. SD last week.

He runs a lot of inside slants but also some immediate/deep routes. He definitely seems to function as more of a possession receiver though. He can also make plays on the ball and does see targets in the RZ (had 2nd most RZ targets behind Smith). He's going to be the defacto WR1 moving forward and BAL will often be playing catch-up. Personally, I'm bidding 20% of my budget in a full PPR, start 3WR league. I think he can make for excellent depth.

Givens seems like the main other option. Crockette maybe. Something has to give here eventually, I guess maybe he's really best described as a possession receiver?
It's a little late but here's all of his targets vs. SD last week.

He runs a lot of inside slants but also some immediate/deep routes. He definitely seems to function as more of a possession receiver though. He can also make plays on the ball and does see targets in the RZ (had 2nd most RZ targets behind Smith). He's going to be the defacto WR1 moving forward and BAL will often be playing catch-up. Personally, I'm bidding 20% of my budget in a full PPR, start 3WR league. I think he can make for excellent depth.
He and Flacco showed great timing on these routes and he catches the ball well and plays with some passion. If he gets 7-12 targets a game he's a borderline WR2 rest of schedule.

I'm not buying on this guy. This offense is poo. If anything I expect more passes to the TE's, RB's, or revolving door of various other JAG WR's they have. Even when Smith was out earlier he wasn't getting much love. He's a distant 3rd on the team in receptions with a whopping 25 in 8 games. Behind Justin Forsett with 27 and 7 ahead of the FB...THE FB! Depending on who else might be available in your FA pool, I may take a chance on another guy in a more productive offense.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Givens seems like the main other option. Crockette maybe. Something has to give here eventually? RW describes him as a possession receiver, not sure if that's true. [edited]
I think he's the best WR on the Baltimore roster, I know that's not saying much, but the kid has all the tools...... BUY LOW folks.

Warpig said:
I'm not buying on this guy. This offense is poo. If anything I expect more passes to the TE's, RB's, or revolving door of various other JAG WR's they have. Even when Smith was out earlier he wasn't getting much love. He's a distant 3rd on the team in receptions with a whopping 25 in 8 games. Behind Justin Forsett with 27 and 7 ahead of the FB...THE FB! Depending on who else might be available in your FA pool, I may take a chance on another guy in a more productive offense.
He had games of 7,7,9,8, 6 targets when Flacco had to lean on him. Not seeing the problem here for a flier.

Warpig said:
Here's what the snaps/targets looked like in week 5 when Smith had to sit out..

Name - Snap % - Targets

Aiken - 91% - 9

Brown - 74% - 4

Givens - 38% - 2

Waller - 26% - 0

Ross - 11% - 2

So the truth is in fact the complete opposite of what you stated. I'm curious, were you just guessing and hoping you were correct?

That's the best game I've seen him play as a Raven. He played aggressively...and Joe was looking for him a lot. Do wonder how he'll perform moving forward w/o Smiff taking coverage. Regardless, I snagged him off waivers --

That's the best game I've seen him play as a Raven. He played aggressively...and Joe was looking for him a lot. Do wonder how he'll perform moving forward w/o Smiff taking coverage. Regardless, I snagged him off waivers --
5 of Aiken's 6 targets came after Smith went down so he stepped up in a big way last week. In fact, Flacco targeted him on a whopping 45% of his passes after Smith went down. One could say Aiken put the team on his back.

I picked this guy up for a week 11 fill in. Looks like,he could be PPR gold. Got a lot of,action after Smith went down :popcorn:
I picked him up too, can't wait to see what he can do without smith taking targets

Warpig said:

Name - Snap % - Targets

Aiken - 91% - 9

Brown - 74% - 4

Givens - 38% - 2

Waller - 26% - 0

Ross - 11% - 2

So the truth is in fact the complete opposite of what you stated. I'm curious, were you just guessing and hoping you were correct?
He's not producing love in the box scores. He's had 2 weeks where he scored 0 points and 1 week where he scored 20. Over the 8 games, he's averaged 9 points. In week 5 he scored 11 points. Targets just mean opportunity...he's apparently not doing much with those opportunities. My opinion is that he's simply going to remain a WR 3 or WR 4 even with Smith out. I think the TE's will get more targets as well as the RBs. I don't believe Aiken is on par even with an aged Steve Smith. Curious to see how defenses will deal with Aiken now that they don't need to worry about Smith. I guess Smith was just unstoppable.

Decided not to use 4th waiver on him but ended up getting him as FA anyway. I figure people were put off by the bye week. Will be between him, Marvin Jones and LaFell as my No. 3 WR. I figure at least he'll be the most consistently OK of the 3.

Warpig said:

Name - Snap % - Targets

Aiken - 91% - 9

Brown - 74% - 4

Givens - 38% - 2

Waller - 26% - 0

Ross - 11% - 2

He's not producing love in the box scores. He's had 2 weeks where he scored 0 points and 1 week where he scored 20. Over the 8 games, he's averaged 9 points. In week 5 he scored 11 points. Targets just mean opportunity...he's apparently not doing much with those opportunities. My opinion is that he's simply going to remain a WR 3 or WR 4 even with Smith out. I think the TE's will get more targets as well as the RBs. I don't believe Aiken is on par even with an aged Steve Smith. Curious to see how defenses will deal with Aiken now that they don't need to worry about Smith. I guess Smith was just unstoppable.
"Getting love" in the context of fantasy football almost always means getting looks from said players QB. Production is a completely different story and admittedly a very fair conversation to have but a different one none the less. Everyone knows opportunity > talent when it comes to our little fantasy world; it's the first box most of us want checked off.

I'm of the opinion that Aiken is likely more talented than most believe and I can see how it may be dismissed by some, especially since he's a UDFA.

The one thing that sticks out about Kamar is some of his intangibles, and in particular some of his pro day results. While he wasn't invited to the combine, Kamar's Pro Day was attended by representatives of all 32 NFL teams. His numbers were quite good, and better than expected. His broad jump of 128 inches would've been third of all 2011 combine WRs, beating out names like Torrey Smith and A.J. Green. His 40-yard time of 4.45 is one tenth of a second faster than Michael Campanaro’s, and would've ranked him tied for seventh at the 2011 combine.

Rivals.com's scouting report of Kamar says "Looks every bit the part with a rocked-up, shredded physique (broke Brandon Marshall's strength records). Good body control. Plays big - attacks the ball and works the middle of the field. Exceptional leaping ability. Strong on contact and can rip through tackles. Physical blocker."
The sample size is a bit smaller than we'd like, but I've seen Aiken showcase all of the above at different points with BAL through 2014-15. Here's the article that snippet is from, I advise everyone to give it a read.

8/128/1 against the Chiefs. I'm in the SB next week and thinking about plugging him in over Megatron. Crazy season this has been.

Name - Snap % - Targets

Aiken - 91% - 9

Brown - 74% - 4

Givens - 38% - 2

Waller - 26% - 0

Ross - 11% - 2

Well looks like you were off

Last 2 weeks with Clausen he went 13-218-1 (19 targets). With Schaub the two weeks before, he was 12-128-0 (21 targets). With Mallet in the mix not sure what to think.

Users who are viewing this thread