What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG staff dynasty rankings status (1 Viewer)

scott46984

Footballguy
Any chance we can get these updated? I know it's a busy time of year, but it would be nice if these were available since those of us in keeper or dynasty leagues have to make some roster decisions or trades now before end of season locks. The "Forecast" tab used to have rankings available as recently as a week or so ago, but now nothing shows up at that link. Thanks

Any chance we can get these updated? I know it's a busy time of year, but it would be nice if these were available since those of us in keeper or dynasty leagues have to make some roster decisions or trades now before end of season locks. The "Forecast" tab used to have rankings available as recently as a week or so ago, but now nothing shows up at that link. Thanks
Fool the system - make the change to the viewpos field in the web address (the link below will take you to QB's)

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=qb&type=dynasty

Copy and paste the link to your browser, then you should be able to view as you normally do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly Joe Bryant is still a first round draft pick, but is he really 1.1 material? With his advancing age you have to wonder if he'll be able to produce for the whole season

Dodds may look great in a jersey, but he's value has been steadily dropping through the years.

Maurile Trembley is a consistent performer year after year, his depth of knowledge is unparalleled, and his performance has won many a Fantasy FBG Staff league through the years. You have to wonder though if his heavy workload will affect him in the coming years.

What can you say about Sigmund Bloom, clearly a star, but seldom gets to be the top pick. You have to admire his consecutive games streak.

Jene Bramel, the guy seems to continually be on flirting with the disabled list, hard to trust he will be there for your team in the playoffs.

Dave Baker, a dark horse boom or bust candidate. One week he'll be on fire, the next nothing. Be wary.

Clayton Gray, steal of the draft. Often overlooked because of the flashier names, he will win your league for you as a steal in the second or third round.

Cecil Lammey, first of all how are you? He's a one trick pony, all he does is score touchdowns.

Aaron Rudnicki, often overlooked because of his lack of measurables Aaron is a game breaking talent that can be had in later rounds. Don't sleep on him for too long.

Chase Stuart, Some might wonder about putting Chase up with the other high round staff picks, but the savvy FFBG player knows that Chase will put up the points week after week and can be had in the middle rounds.

Jeff Pasquino, built for the playoffs, he won't wow you during the regular season but is :moneybag: in weeks 14, 15, and 16

Bob Magaw, Every team needs a staff member like Magaw, the unsung hero that plugs along each week getting you 50 yards and a touchdown

Doug Drinen, He may not pass the eye test, but people who rely on stats swear that Doug out performs nearly every other staff member at his position.

Jason Wood, Always comparing himself to other staff members, his spotlight series will give you a big boost in the early season, but his production drops off dramatically during the playoffs.

Foosball God, on 09 Dec 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:Clearly Joe Bryant is still a first round draft pick, but is he really 1.1 material? With his advancing age you have to wonder if he'll be able to produce for the whole season

Dodds may look great in a jersey, but he's value has been steadily dropping through the years.

Maurile Trembley is a consistent performer year after year, his depth of knowledge is unparalleled, and his performance has won many a Fantasy FBG Staff league through the years. You have to wonder though if his heavy workload will affect him in the coming years.

What can you say about Sigmund Bloom, clearly a star, but seldom gets to be the top pick. You have to admire his consecutive games streak.

Jene Bramel, the guy seems to continually be on flirting with the disabled list, hard to trust he will be there for your team in the playoffs.

Dave Baker, a dark horse boom or bust candidate. One week he'll be on fire, the next nothing. Be wary.

Clayton Gray, steal of the draft. Often overlooked because of the flashier names, he will win your league for you as a steal in the second or third round.

Cecil Lammey, first of all how are you? He's a one trick pony, all he does is score touchdowns.

Aaron Rudnicki, often overlooked because of his lack of measurables Aaron is a game breaking talent that can be had in later rounds. Don't sleep on him for too long.

Chase Stuart, Some might wonder about putting Chase up with the other high round staff picks, but the savvy FFBG player knows that Chase will put up the points week after week and can be had in the middle rounds.

Jeff Pasquino, built for the playoffs, he won't wow you during the regular season but is :moneybag: in weeks 14, 15, and 16

Bob Magaw, Every team needs a staff member like Magaw, the unsung hero that plugs along each week getting you 50 yards and a touchdown

Doug Drinen, He may not pass the eye test, but people who rely on stats swear that Doug out performs nearly every other staff member at his position.

Jason Wood, Always comparing himself to other staff members, his spotlight series will give you a big boost in the early season, but his production drops off dramatically during the playoffs.
:goodposting:

Thanks Hawkeye, very helpful! Not sure why I had to "trick it", but it works so great. Also - I see the normal link is working again, so good to see that - thanks for fixing FBG staff.

Football God - very clever post in response to my not so clearly written title - well done.

Can someone help me view FBG dynasty rankings?

The site isn't letting me view since there are no recently updated rankings.

TIA

Clearly Joe Bryant is still a first round draft pick, but is he really 1.1 material? With his advancing age you have to wonder if he'll be able to produce for the whole season

Bramel is the man if you play IDP like the big boys!

the default sort should be 28 days instead of 14, and the link to go back 28 days isn't working. Most people won't know what to edit in the address bar to go back further.

I've been a FBG subscriber for years and will continue to be so, but the fact that they have fixed this issue is absurd. If there haven't been rankings submitted recently, which there often are not, then you have to do the silly link work-around to find the most recent rankings.

Seriously. Come on guys.

Why aren't the rankings updated more frequently? As a dynasty owner in multiple leagues I use the rankings as a tool and find it very helpful in discussions when doing trades. Since rankings are part of the "paid" subscription benefits, is it that the staffers do not have time to update their rankings at least on a monthly basis or is it that there is no real interests from the paid subscribers? At least Dynasty League Football updates their rankings frequently and believe it or not they are even free. As a paid subscriber, I very disappointed in the effort put into the rankings, FBG might as well just get rid of that feature.

I would really like to see an uptick in the attention that FBG gives to the Dynasty rankings, and analysis. While it's not as much prognostic in nature, I do, however, consider Waldman's analyses to be essentially Dynasty content.

I think dynasty rankings take a long view of many situations (if they are done well) and to be honest I find it very hard to organize and put everything together to form dynasty rankings at all. The main purpose of such rankings would be for dynasty start up drafts and trades.

Given how much thought usually goes into such an undertaking, and the longer view it provides, how often should these rankings be updated? There are a lot of things still playing out and I don't see making reactionary changes frequently as being the best way to approach a dynasty ranking.

I think dynasty rankings take a long view of many situations (if they are done well) and to be honest I find it very hard to organize and put everything together to form dynasty rankings at all. The main purpose of such rankings would be for dynasty start up drafts and trades.

Given how much thought usually goes into such an undertaking, and the longer view it provides, how often should these rankings be updated? There are a lot of things still playing out and I don't see making reactionary changes frequently as being the best way to approach a dynasty ranking.
makes sense, and it may be how FBG approaches dynasty rankings. it would be nice for FBG to state this is their view however.

makes sense, and it may be how FBG approaches dynasty rankings. it would be nice for FBG to state this is their view however.
They seemed to be updated quite frequently during the offseason...I think that speaks to the dynasty focus being on startups and rook drafts. An ongoing NFL season is quite fluid, with rapid swings in short-run value that aren't easy to project long term with limited info, even just on medical issues that develop. I can see it being a lot more work to make a stab at such rankings, and possibly untenable while turning out weekly content and playing on one's own leagues week by week.

They seemed to be updated quite frequently during the offseason...I think that speaks to the dynasty focus being on startups and rook drafts. An ongoing NFL season is quite fluid, with rapid swings in short-run value that aren't easy to project long term with limited info, even just on medical issues that develop. I can see it being a lot more work to make a stab at such rankings, and possibly untenable while turning out weekly content and playing on one's own leagues week by week.
i can see this point also. good thoughts.

Why aren't the rankings updated more frequently? As a dynasty owner in multiple leagues I use the rankings as a tool and find it very helpful in discussions when doing trades. Since rankings are part of the "paid" subscription benefits, is it that the staffers do not have time to update their rankings at least on a monthly basis or is it that there is no real interests from the paid subscribers? At least Dynasty League Football updates their rankings frequently and believe it or not they are even free. As a paid subscriber, I very disappointed in the effort put into the rankings, FBG might as well just get rid of that feature.
I have updated my positional dynasty rankings every 2 weeks throughout the season. I think that's reasonable. If you're looking for overall (not by position) that's something I don't do except for offseason.

There's stuff you can pay for on here?
Lol, rankings are one of the features that the paid subscribers get, but it should be taking off the list of benefits that you get for paying $$$. Not a big deal, but, for me personally, I only play dynasty leagues, nice havingupdated rankings available. There are a lot of staffers who provide rankings at FBG, I'm just disappointed that no effort is being given to try to keep them "reasonably" updated.

I have updated my positional dynasty rankings every 2 weeks throughout the season. I think that's reasonable. If you're looking for overall (not by position) that's something I don't do except for offseason.
Out of what looks like over 20 FBG staffers who do rankings, you and 2 or 3 other staffers do make an effort and I am thankful but I just expect more overall. It is nice having 6 or 7 different individual rankings, like they have at Dynasty League Football, and those are free.

I wish they took more time to update these rankings too

I wish they took more time to update these rankings too
What bothers me the most is that some sites are providing updated rankings for free and are providing a better overall product. I guess we are in the minority for those of us who subscribe.

Bruce, I do appreciate your rankings. Every 2 weeks is more than reasonable, wish every staffer would do their rankings at least every 3 weeks. The trading season is coming to an end in most of my leagues, and having the latest rankings is a useful tool.

Look at Daniel Simpkins latest dynasty rankings for RBs, talk about mailing it in, no effort was put into that, he must of just resubmitted his preseason rankings.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't updated as frequently this year since I'm already submitting weekly dynasty value charts (here's last week's, this week's should be submitted sometime tonight). They're my rankings, but with much more detail added, (in the form of quantifying relative value differences and adjusting based on scoring system and competitive window). I guess I never really gave much thought to the idea of discoverability.

Quick feedback: subscribers, were you aware of that new feature this year? Would you rather I update my rankings, too, even if they're exactly the same as my value charts minus a lot of the important detail?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't updated as frequently this year since I'm already submitting weekly dynasty value charts (here's last week's, this week's should be submitted sometime tonight). They're my rankings, but with much more detail added, (in the form of quantifying relative value differences and adjusting based on scoring system and competitive window). I guess I never really gave much thought to the idea of discoverability.

Quick feedback: subscribers, were you aware of that new feature this year? Would you rather I update my rankings, too, even if they're exactly the same as my value charts minus a lot of the important detail?
Adam, for me personally, I want all of the rankings in one spot, I want to be able to compare each staffer's rankings to get a general idea of a player's value and have easy access to them.

I would really like to see an uptick in the attention that FBG gives to the Dynasty rankings, and analysis. While it's not as much prognostic in nature, I do, however, consider Waldman's analyses to be essentially Dynasty content.
FBGs' dynasty content has been ramping up bit by bit over the last couple years. I've personally got a lot of really fun stuff planned to investigate this offseason. My value charts were a late addition to the slate this year, (kind of came together the week before the season), and I think with an entire offseason to work on refining and figuring out ways to leverage them, there can be some really cool applications in store.

Adam, for me personally, I want all of the rankings in one spot, I want to be able to compare each staffer's rankings to get a general idea of a player's value and have easy access to them.
Alright, noted. It's typically a lot of work to translate from my format into FBGs' CMS to get rankings up, and the value charts are kind of a huge time sink as it is, and of course I'd rather people view them in chart form since it includes so much more granular detail. But I'll make an effort to get my rankings updated more frequently for those who prefer them in that format, too.

Look at Daniel Simpkins latest dynasty rankings for RBs, talk about mailing it in, no effort was put into that, he must of just resubmitted his preseason rankings.
Yeah, that's terrible. If that's his best effort he should just be removed from the list. Just brings down the other guys because that mess stands out.

FBGs' dynasty content has been ramping up bit by bit over the last couple years. I've personally got a lot of really fun stuff planned to investigate this offseason. My value charts were a late addition to the slate this year, (kind of came together the week before the season), and I think with an entire offseason to work on refining and figuring out ways to leverage them, there can be some really cool applications in store.
Adam. I've always appreciated your contributions, and remember the strong content that you provided in these forums, prior to becoming a compensated FBG. Keep up the good work.

Dynasty gets ramped up bit by bit but they throw every resource they have at DFS.

Dynasty gets ramped up bit by bit but they throw every resource they have at DFS.
i agree with this. dfs certainly has a higher priority at fbg.

If there were two billion-dollar dynasty companies spending $500 million advertising their dynasty product, and there were millions of people rushing out to join dynasty leagues right this moment, you'd see dynasty content quintuple overnight, at least. That's just the reality of it. That's capitalism. When there's a huge surge in demand like that, it creates a vacuum that the market is going to rush to fill.

Seasonal fantasy football saw a pretty slow and steady rise in popularity. It never really had a moment where it became wildly successful overnight. And FBGs' coverage of seasonal ramped up slowly, bit-by-bit, too. They started off pretty much just with Joe and David. Then they brought on a half-dozen guys. They added a few more features, brought in some more projectors, added an injury guy. They started a newswire. They started a podcast. Rotoworld got huge, so they dropped the newswire. Eventually, they had so much seasonal content that they brought Sigmund on as co-owner and put him in charge of managing it all. Footballguys didn't get to 40 seasonal staff members overnight, that was a 12-year process of adding bit by bit. That's just how seasonal grew.

DFS isn't growing like that, slowly and organically, largely fueled by word-of-mouth. Somebody dumped a big can of gasoline on DFS and lit the match. You've got two major players who are dousing DFS with accelerant and just dramatically speeding up that lifecycle. That has some advantages, (tons of content overnight!), but the slow-growth model has advantages, too. You don't really have the old-timers in DFS, guys who have been doing it for years and are really just invested in it. People who have made it a part of their lives to an incredible degree.

Dynasty doesn't have those hundreds of millions of dollars flying around to speed up its growth cycle. It's following the redraft growth track, expanding organically, relying on word-of-mouth as people who love it convert their friends. It's a much more grassroots model. And that's cool, but it's not fast.

Perhaps it's just the optimist in me because I love dynasty so much, but I really see the format getting big in the future, and I think FBGs has the infrastructure in place to grow their content to keep pace with that market. Not all at once, but bit by bit by bit until we reach a point where there are 20 dynasty features a week, and dynasty-specific apps in the app store, and the whole works. That's my dream, and I'm going to be doing everything I can to try and make it happen, because I love the format.

If there were two billion-dollar dynasty companies spending $500 million advertising their dynasty product, and there were millions of people rushing out to join dynasty leagues right this moment, you'd see dynasty content quintuple overnight, at least. That's just the reality of it. That's capitalism. When there's a huge surge in demand like that, it creates a vacuum that the market is going to rush to fill.

Seasonal fantasy football saw a pretty slow and steady rise in popularity. It never really had a moment where it became wildly successful overnight. And FBGs' coverage of seasonal ramped up slowly, bit-by-bit, too. They started off pretty much just with Joe and David. Then they brought on a half-dozen guys. They added a few more features, brought in some more projectors, added an injury guy. They started a newswire. They started a podcast. Rotoworld got huge, so they dropped the newswire. Eventually, they had so much seasonal content that they brought Sigmund on as co-owner and put him in charge of managing it all. Footballguys didn't get to 40 seasonal staff members overnight, that was a 12-year process of adding bit by bit. That's just how seasonal grew.

DFS isn't growing like that, slowly and organically, largely fueled by word-of-mouth. Somebody dumped a big can of gasoline on DFS and lit the match. You've got two major players who are dousing DFS with accelerant and just dramatically speeding up that lifecycle. That has some advantages, (tons of content overnight!), but the slow-growth model has advantages, too. You don't really have the old-timers in DFS, guys who have been doing it for years and are really just invested in it. People who have made it a part of their lives to an incredible degree.

Dynasty doesn't have those hundreds of millions of dollars flying around to speed up its growth cycle. It's following the redraft growth track, expanding organically, relying on word-of-mouth as people who love it convert their friends. It's a much more grassroots model. And that's cool, but it's not fast.

Perhaps it's just the optimist in me because I love dynasty so much, but I really see the format getting big in the future, and I think FBGs has the infrastructure in place to grow their content to keep pace with that market. Not all at once, but bit by bit by bit until we reach a point where there are 20 dynasty features a week, and dynasty-specific apps in the app store, and the whole works. That's my dream, and I'm going to be doing everything I can to try and make it happen, because I love the format.
While your response is well presented, and well articulated, I can't help to believe that this isn't a complete picture of why dynasty content tends to be underrepresented (by FBG). Judging primarily by how the podcast content is presented (i.e., specifically referring to various scenarios that are presented by the prognosticated probability of most likely outcomes; e.g., Bloom's so-called 'telling of a story'), my gut tells me that the primary reason that dynasty content is neglected is because it's difficult. There are just too many possible scenarios. In other words, it's difficult to tell a story that has any real likelihood of coming to fruition.

While the types of data analysis studies that you present are thought-provoking, they tend to lack confidence in predicting the future for an isolated player. This is why I find analyses that center on evaluations of each player from watching game tape to be so insightful (the so-called eyeball test). At the end of the day, they can provide slight advantages, which when applied to longterm scenarios, can result in a more "hits" than "misses". It's certainly not a high confidence prognostic method.

All of this being presented herein, I'm open to your thoughts, and would happily learn from them. My intent herein is to continue a discussion as opposed to merely apply criticism. Perhaps there is some data that suggest that a particular (or a few of the) so-called experts have found a method that establishes a higher probability of success in Dynasty prognostication of fantasy stats? Are you aware of any analysis that concludes something of this nature?

While your response is well presented, and well articulated, I can't help to believe that this isn't a complete picture of why dynasty content tends to be underrepresented (by FBG). Judging primarily by how the podcast content is presented (i.e., specifically referring to various scenarios that are presented by the prognosticated probability of most likely outcomes; e.g., Bloom's so-called 'telling of a story'), my gut tells me that the primary reason that dynasty content is neglected is because it's difficult. There are just too many possible scenarios. In other words, it's difficult to tell a story that has any real likelihood of coming to fruition.

While the types of data analysis studies that you present are thought-provoking, they tend to lack confidence in predicting the future for an isolated player. This is why I find analyses that center on evaluations of each player from watching game tape to be so insightful (the so-called eyeball test). At the end of the day, they can provide slight advantages, which when applied to longterm scenarios, can result in a more "hits" than "misses". It's certainly not a high confidence prognostic method.

All of this being presented herein, I'm open to your thoughts, and would happily learn from them. My intent herein is to continue a discussion as opposed to merely apply criticism. Perhaps there is some data that suggest that a particular (or a few of the) so-called experts have found a method that establishes a higher probability of success in Dynasty prognostication of fantasy stats? Are you aware of any analysis that concludes something of this nature?
The podcasts are sweet, but that's Sigmund and Cecil (and Waldman and Jene). They've all got their own unique styles, and those styles are naturally going to be emphasized. Sigmund, especially, is very much a "tell a story" kind of guy. Though I'd hardly say that that "telling a story" mindset is incompatible with dynasty; Sigmund was one of the most active dynasty contributors before he got his (well-deserved) promotion and found himself spending more time on the podcast and on overseeing content. (And I'd also add that being unlikely to happen has never stopped Sigmund from telling a story. He's a contrarian to the bone.) I'm pretty sure that dynasty is the favorite format of all of The Audible regulars.

I won't disagree that dynasty is hard, but it's also graded on a heavy curve. It's hard for everyone. And since fantasy is all about relative skill, you just have to be better at it than the next guy. I'd say DFS is harder from a fantasy analysis standpoint, because you've got far fewer variables at play so it's much, much harder to find a consistent, reliable edge that everyone else hasn't already cottoned on to. And because success and failures are found out immediately, whereas in dynasty you can come up with a compelling theory and sell it for years before it ever becomes obvious whether it was right or wrong. Since we don't really have any idea what works or what doesn't, dynasty is the space for storytellers, and the analysis is dominated by whoever can present the most compelling vision.

I really think it's just supply and demand. Dynasty is a tiny niche of the overall hobby, just like IDP is. It's growing, and hopefully it will continue to do so. The huge bulk of FBGs subscribers never so much as peek at the dynasty content available. But like I said, FBGs has always been supportive of whatever I've been able to give them, dynasty-wise. I wrote one weekly piece my first year. That was up to two my second year. It's up to three this year. Who knows what the future holds.

Adam, I will be paying more attention to your material from here on out. I'm surprised that dynasty is not a big niche in the industry. Using MFL for example, if you look for a league and just put in "dynasty" tons of them come up. The same thing happens if you search for "keeper" leagues. But if you just search for "redraft" leagues, they are by far less than either dynasty or keeper. This could be just MFL, not a picture of the whole market. My gut tells they there is a whole lot of interest in dynasty and keeper leagues. Anyway, thanks!!!!

The podcasts are sweet, but that's Sigmund and Cecil (and Waldman and Jene). They've all got their own unique styles, and those styles are naturally going to be emphasized. Sigmund, especially, is very much a "tell a story" kind of guy. Though I'd hardly say that that "telling a story" mindset is incompatible with dynasty; Sigmund was one of the most active dynasty contributors before he got his (well-deserved) promotion and found himself spending more time on the podcast and on overseeing content. (And I'd also add that being unlikely to happen has never stopped Sigmund from telling a story. He's a contrarian to the bone.) I'm pretty sure that dynasty is the favorite format of all of The Audible regulars.

I won't disagree that dynasty is hard, but it's also graded on a heavy curve. It's hard for everyone. And since fantasy is all about relative skill, you just have to be better at it than the next guy. I'd say DFS is harder from a fantasy analysis standpoint, because you've got far fewer variables at play so it's much, much harder to find a consistent, reliable edge that everyone else hasn't already cottoned on to. And because success and failures are found out immediately, whereas in dynasty you can come up with a compelling theory and sell it for years before it ever becomes obvious whether it was right or wrong. Since we don't really have any idea what works or what doesn't, dynasty is the space for storytellers, and the analysis is dominated by whoever can present the most compelling vision.

I really think it's just supply and demand. Dynasty is a tiny niche of the overall hobby, just like IDP is. It's growing, and hopefully it will continue to do so. The huge bulk of FBGs subscribers never so much as peek at the dynasty content available. But like I said, FBGs has always been supportive of whatever I've been able to give them, dynasty-wise. I wrote one weekly piece my first year. That was up to two my second year. It's up to three this year. Who knows what the future holds.
Supply and demand works another way too. Sites doing dynasty is minimal, sites doing DFS is ridiculously huge.

Niche markets are profitable too.

Adam, I will be paying more attention to your material from here on out. I'm surprised that dynasty is not a big niche in the industry. Using MFL for example, if you look for a league and just put in "dynasty" tons of them come up. The same thing happens if you search for "keeper" leagues. But if you just search for "redraft" leagues, they are by far less than either dynasty or keeper. This could be just MFL, not a picture of the whole market. My gut tells they there is a whole lot of interest in dynasty and keeper leagues. Anyway, thanks!!!!
Likely an inherrent bias in that sample for several reasons, not the least of which being that mfl has been offering "year-round" league access for far longer than the big name FF sites, so dynasty leagues gravitated there. More "serious" leagues are also likely to want more custom features (future draft pick trading as a simple example) not available on the larger sites until recently.

Also, the big name sites heavily attract the more casual end of the market, and I doubt many casual FF leagues are dynasty leagues.

I expect that Yahoo, cbs, espn all have easily 100x as many redraft leagues as mfl has dynasty leagues. And a far worse ratio of dyn/keeper formats.

Kevrunner said:
As Arodin said, I think that's a pretty big selection bias. MFL has always billed itself as the most feature-rich league management host, which means leagues that need "special features" that don't come standard for a long time have had to host there. And for a long time, core dynasty functionality fell under the "special features" bucket- trading future draft picks, for one. Accessing the league in May, for another. A decade ago, if you wanted to play in dynasty, you either ran it on MFL or you ran it by hand.

Then once MFL established itself as the place for dynasty, there was a bit of path dependence in effect. Dynasty owners recruited their friends to join dynasty leagues with them. The old dynasty owners started these new leagues on MFL, because that's what they'd been using and were comfortable with. Then those new converts would in turn convert their friends to dynasty, and they'd start the new leagues on MFL. At some point, MFL's position as the dominant dynasty host became self-sustaining.

But MFL, like dynasty, represents a tiny niche of the overall market. It's basically a rounding error compared to ESPN, NFL.com, Yahoo, CBS Sports, and the other big hosts. They do a great job at targeting a specific type of owner and filling a very specific role, but we're talking about a fraction of a percent of the overall fantasy market, I'd wager.

Doubledown1313 said:
Supply and demand works another way too. Sites doing dynasty is minimal, sites doing DFS is ridiculously huge.

Niche markets are profitable too.
Oh, for sure. DLF does a fantastic job about this. They don't even try to go after the main fantasy market, they just identify their niche and go about capturing as much of it as possible. (Though even DLF has DFS content and DFS partnerships.)

I actually got my start writing at a niche dynasty site back in 2010, too- www.dynastyrankings.net. And, ironically enough, the business model for that site was going to be securing partnerships with a tiny little unknown corner of the fantasy world that the founder thought was about to become huge. Yup, you guessed it, the goal was to hitch our wagon to DFS and ride the growth. We were just three years too early to the dance and the site never became profitable- which isn't a reflection on the niche market strategy, it's a reflection of the fact that most startups fail.

Hell, even FBGs itself can be considered a niche product. It's a football site that covers just one tiny aspect. Or it's a fantasy site that covers just one particular sport. There's no Basketballguys or Baseballguys. When FBGs started up, it was very much done with a "know your role and then dominate it" strategy. FBGs' self-defined role was just a little bit bigger than a site like DLF's is.

Kevrunner said:
As Arodin said, I think that's a pretty big selection bias. MFL has always billed itself as the most feature-rich league management host, which means leagues that need "special features" that don't come standard for a long time have had to host there. And for a long time, core dynasty functionality fell under the "special features" bucket- trading future draft picks, for one. Accessing the league in May, for another. A decade ago, if you wanted to play in dynasty, you either ran it on MFL or you ran it by hand.

Then once MFL established itself as the place for dynasty, there was a bit of path dependence in effect. Dynasty owners recruited their friends to join dynasty leagues with them. The old dynasty owners started these new leagues on MFL, because that's what they'd been using and were comfortable with. Then those new converts would in turn convert their friends to dynasty, and they'd start the new leagues on MFL. At some point, MFL's position as the dominant dynasty host became self-sustaining.

But MFL, like dynasty, represents a tiny niche of the overall market. It's basically a rounding error compared to ESPN, NFL.com, Yahoo, CBS Sports, and the other big hosts. They do a great job at targeting a specific type of owner and filling a very specific role, but we're talking about a fraction of a percent of the overall fantasy market, I'd wager.
Wow, really didn't know how small a percentage that dynasty/keeper leagues were in the overall market, I am honestly surprised. Also, heard you on the DLF podcast, you should do more of them if you have time. I liked your comment about if your not losing any trades then you aren't trading enough.

Wow, really didn't know how small a percentage that dynasty/keeper leagues were in the overall market, I am honestly surprised. Also, heard you on the DLF podcast, you should do more of them if you have time. I liked your comment about if your not losing any trades then you aren't trading enough.
Thanks! I typically accept whatever podcast invites I receive. If you have a regular podcast you'd like to hear me on, pester them to ask me on. :)

I've also written about my "you shouldn't win 100% of trades" bit before, going into a bit more detail. (Or as much detail as one can go into in a string of tweets.)

Adam, great job on the podcast. Can you comment more about why you have Eifert ranked so high and Dez ranked so low? Also, what are your thoughts on Sammy?

Adam, great job on the podcast. Can you comment more about why you have Eifert ranked so high and Dez ranked so low? Also, what are your thoughts on Sammy?
I actually wound up bumping Dez a little bit this week after the podcast, and he's higher in standard scoring (where his TD skills carry more weight).

At the end of the day, the thing for me is that I just don't see Dez providing the positional advantage that he once did, or that Antonio and Julio still do. Bob Henry has him ranked as WR11 for the rest of the season. Amari Cooper is WR14. He's six years younger. Alshon Jeffery is WR13. He's two years younger and currently hurt. Evans, Beckham, and Hopkins aren't just younger, they're projected to outscore Dez straight up this year. And I mentioned that Antonio Brown and Julio Jones were basically the same age but providing a much larger current advantage.

Given all of that, it's hard for me to rank Dez ahead of any of those guys right now. I think he's a better receiver than several of them, but I prefer them as fantasy assets. So that leaves Dez as my WR8. Actually as my WR9, but Dez and Green are essentially tied- Green ranks just 1.1% ahead. And Green is another example of a guy who I think is every bit as good of an NFL WR as Dez, but he's a bit older and he's not providing the immediate positional advantage, so he falls down a bit in the rankings.

Eifert ranks high because tight ends are graded on a curve. The baseline at the position is a lot lower. And Eifert looks locked in as the best non-Gronk tight end in the long-term, (he's basically in a race with Greg Olsen as the best non-Gronk tight end in the short term). But he's 25, on pace for 70/800/16, and looks like a star.

I like Watkins a lot. He's my 12th-ranked WR in this week's chart. I like to say some receivers are "Litmus Test Receivers", meaning they're guys I'll bring up if I want to find out if the person I'm talking to is watching the games or just reading press clippings. Jordy Nelson and Antonio Brown were the original litmus test receivers; I'd say they were top-10 NFL receivers, or mention I liked them better than Demaryius Thomas, (my go-to "Anti-Litmus Test Receiver") and see how the other person responded.

The secret's been out on Jordy and Antonio for over a year now. DeAndre Hopkins was morphing into my new litmus test receiver, but the word's getting out on him, too.

I think there's a good chance that by next year, Sammy Watkins is going to be my next litmus test receiver. He's getting open at-will against some really tough competition, and his quarterbacks just can't hit him. He looks like a star, and I think he'll eventually have the statistics to match.

It shows Daniel Simpkins rankings updated on Nov 14th but there must be some mistakes. He has Devonte Freeman as the 68th best RB, i assume he meant 6th and entered it wrong. there are also a bunch of others in his rankings that are very odd.

It shows Daniel Simpkins rankings updated on Nov 14th but there must be some mistakes. He has Devonte Freeman as the 68th best RB, i assume he meant 6th and entered it wrong. there are also a bunch of others in his rankings that are very odd.
We don't enter numbers next to a player's name. We literally copy/paste the names in the order we want them, then hit enter. A new page then comes up with a numbered list, which we are to review and then hit enter again if satisfied it is what we want (or go back if it is not). The next time we want to do rankings, the last list we created comes up so we don't have to start again from scratch.

Looking at his list, I would have to guess he has just continued to hit enter since preseason or early in the season so the new date appears, without making any changes. I'm staff but I don't know him and have no authority over anyone. There are definitely concerns here. I'll see if I can get in touch later today about it.

Users who are viewing this thread