What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (5 Viewers)

Still gonna require some patience to see him get enough run to be startable this year (could be a second half of the year king-maker type waiver claim if he's on your waiver wire), but Chubb dynasty owners should be very happy with his performance yesterday.

Pete Smith‏ @_PeteSmith_ 5m5 minutes ago

Per @dpshow, Nick Chubb is the first RB in NFL history to have over 100 yards and 2 TDs in 3 carries.

----------------------------------------------------------

He still has to learn pass-pro before he is a threat to take over for Hyde.

Won't be any bids in any of my 3 leagues. I drafted Chubb in all 3 and waiting for Haley to Wake the ~F~ up.
Does the phrase "You cannot legislate usage" have any meaning in your life?

22-3 yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to sink into this bicker-fest, but Hyde does have some checkmarks on his side in terms of intangibles (veteranosity, consistency, dependability) and probably some tangibles like doesn't fumble, picks up blitzes, etc.  Leaning on Hyde isn't irrational.
Veteranosity? :no:  lol

Does the phrase

”assumption of rational coaching” have any meaning in your life?
When will coach W wake up and realize player X is the best position Y on team Z? has a lot of meaning in my life. Often the answer is "A long time". Alex collins was a season long example last year.

I don't want to sink into this bicker-fest, but Hyde does have some checkmarks on his side in terms of intangibles (veteranosity, consistency, dependability) and probably some tangibles like doesn't fumble, picks up blitzes, etc.  Leaning on Hyde isn't irrational.
A wat-fest? Guess I should thrown in some emoji eh.

I start Hyde every week. Got him in like the 8th.9th, figured he would be the bell cow (didn't anticipate DJJ would be underutilized though.)

I'll try to pick up Chubb as the cuff, but there's been no indication they're going to move on from Hyde, who has been effective and probably has the coaches trust. Not gonna debate whether Hue Jackson is a wise man or good football coach.

"You can't legislate usage" simply means your evaluation should take into account usage and the range of possibilities that lie ahead. It's silly - and happens every day in TSP - to complain "how can these coaches give RB A touches when RB B is clearly superior." In many cases RB A is the guy who has the bulk of the inside duties that setup plays / play action they'll want to employ later. Meanwhile RB B gets to come in and run CoP back plays like toss sweeps, counters, screens and flares - stuff that was setup by establishing the run game with RB B. Folks who never watch film look at the box score and conclude "OMG how is this older than dirt vet (he's 28) getting more touches than this young stud. YPC, duh."

If you don't like that phrase specifically, then pick whichever coachspeak cliche you prefer instead.  The point remains, the rational coaching choice is more nuanced than "who had the longest TD run last week"?
Pass protection issues are such a cliche and so wrong at this point. I'm pretty sure also that Chubb isn't a 180 lb speedster that cant handle short yardage work. And Hyde couldn't be a worse receiving back. Chubb should really be getting more carries and using big words to sound smart and pompous doesn't prove your point. It's just embarrassing.

If you own Hyde, you should already have had Chubb on your bench. Hyde will be fine until he gets banged up, and then it's Chubb's time. I made the move last week to get Chubb to back up Hyde. Glad I did.

Drafted Chubb in almost all of my 13 re-draft leagues, hoping/thinking he'd crack the starting lineup sometime before November.  I hope yesterday helps him move ahead of Hyde but I think it might take a Hyde injury for him to become the starter.

Drafted Chubb in almost all of my 13 re-draft leagues, hoping/thinking he'd crack the starting lineup sometime before November.  I hope yesterday helps him move ahead of Hyde but I think it might take a Hyde injury for him to become the starter.
O/U on that has to be like Week 7, right?

voiceofunreason said:
Pass protection issues are such a cliche and so wrong at this point. I'm pretty sure also that Chubb isn't a 180 lb speedster that cant handle short yardage work. And Hyde couldn't be a worse receiving back. Chubb should really be getting more carries and using big words to sound smart and pompous doesn't prove your point. It's just embarrassing.
Yikes! No idea what I said to prompt that attack.

Sorry the Browns coaches see things differently, i guess. 

iamkoza said:
so that is the best 3 carry stat line of all time... right?
I saw something that it was the only time in nfl history a player rushed for over a hundred yards and two touchdowns on 3 carries

Chubb's on waivers in some leagues? Nice, the ones I'm in he's rostered since draft day and sure isn't going to get cut now. At least I got him in my keeper/dyno, so everything's fine. 

He certainly looked like pre-injury Chubb on Sunday. If anyone had any questions about his speed, those can be put to rest now. We'll see about playing time moving forward, but at the very least he should get a couple more carries over the next couple of weeks. 

A wat-fest? Guess I should thrown in some emoji eh.

I start Hyde every week. Got him in like the 8th.9th, figured he would be the bell cow (didn't anticipate DJJ would be underutilized though.)

I'll try to pick up Chubb as the cuff, but there's been no indication they're going to move on from Hyde, who has been effective and probably has the coaches trust. Not gonna debate whether Hue Jackson is a wise man or good football coach.

"You can't legislate usage" simply means your evaluation should take into account usage and the range of possibilities that lie ahead. It's silly - and happens every day in TSP - to complain "how can these coaches give RB A touches when RB B is clearly superior." In many cases RB A is the guy who has the bulk of the inside duties that setup plays / play action they'll want to employ later. Meanwhile RB B gets to come in and run CoP back plays like toss sweeps, counters, screens and flares - stuff that was setup by establishing the run game with RB B. Folks who never watch film look at the box score and conclude "OMG how is this older than dirt vet (he's 28) getting more touches than this young stud. YPC, duh."
This last paragraph is true and why YPC without context is not a good indicator of talent, but there's a reason Hyde signed a relatively meager contract (cuttable after 1 year) and Chubb was seen as a first round talent before a horrific injury. At this point it seems Chubb is that back again. If the Browns want to win games, Chubb is clearly the choice. He can't be worse at pass catching than Hyde and he offers the same inside running skills with a bonus of long speed. Pass protection is something I'm not familiar with in terms of Hyde, but I know Chubb graded out well (not elite, but one of the best) as a rookie. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Hyde was better, but I don't think Chubb is a liability.

I took some shots on Chubb in pre-NFL draft redrafts, but mostly avoided him due to the uncertainty in my redrafts after the NFL draft. Thought maybe I could grab him from the WW as frustrated owners looked elsewhere for RB production (not going to happen now). Likewise, I avoided Hyde at all costs. I figured Hyde would be a nice start, but the risk of him losing his job to the talented Chubb by the time fantasy playoffs comes around greatly decreases his utility in my eyes. If you just want to make the playoffs, he was a great value pick. If you want to win the championship, he's likely fool's gold.

Props to those who drafted Chubb in redraft and hung onto him. This job will be his before the season is over. 

As a dynasty owner...  :popcorn:

Wow. Bad news for those of us that rostered Hyde without Chubb as a handcuff.  
In a few redraft leagues that I have Hyde I didn't get Chubb. The tough thing was that Hyde was my 4th or 5th RB and Chubb usually ended up going where I was taking much needed WRs. Tough to handcuff a RB 4/5. 

In a few redraft leagues that I have Hyde I didn't get Chubb. The tough thing was that Hyde was my 4th or 5th RB and Chubb usually ended up going where I was taking much needed WRs. Tough to handcuff a RB 4/5. 
That's spot on. His ADP didn't demand a cuff, and probably worked against it. It's just that I'm feeling a little nervous now about losing that valuable work he was getting, as I also drafted some dead weight in Lamar Miller and Crowell and Powell and am counting on Hyde at FLEX, who has carried me once.  

That's spot on. His ADP didn't demand a cuff, and probably worked against it. It's just that I'm feeling a little nervous now about losing that valuable work he was getting, as I also drafted some dead weight in Lamar Miller and Crowell and Powell and am counting on Hyde at FLEX, who has carried me once.  
So true

I went high for Chubb and Hyde practically fell to me when there was nothing else to pick

Chubb dynasty owner who always thought Chubb would end up draining Hyde’s value. Took Hyde fairly late in a redraft hoping he could cover the first month while I waited for Ingram. Sometimes the plan actually works out...and sometimes it works out and you still are only 2-2 because Russ and Gronk don’t feel like producing for you  :wall: .

Nick Chubb or Corey Davis going forward for Flex in PPR which one more valuable WW pick-up?
:confused:

Davis should not be in the WW. I would take Davis due to the unknown Hue Jackson factor which could make Chubb unusable until week 12. Davis should be a stud RoS.

As a Hyde owner with the chance to get Chubb via waivers, do you consider him more valuable than some of the "flavor of the week" options like Cohen, Hines, Davis, who may or may not have a more defined role than Chubb right now? Really considering dropping Crowell for him (or one of the others) as I do not see game script playing into Crowell's favor vs. Powell and lean Chubb to lock up one backfield vs. making decision on when to plug in some of the the aforementioned options.

As a Hyde owner with the chance to get Chubb via waivers, do you consider him more valuable than some of the "flavor of the week" options like Cohen, Hines, Davis, who may or may not have a more defined role than Chubb right now? Really considering dropping Crowell for him (or one of the others) as I do not see game script playing into Crowell's favor vs. Powell.
I don't really know what to tell you about the other guys, but I don't see script or previous usage in favor of Crowell, either, though the Jets have used their running backs weirdly this year. That said, four rushes for zero yards last week is a killer if you started him, which I had to in a huge league.  

He's not better nor is he on par with Barkley on a talent basis despite Waldman's opinion.
I was unaware of Wildman's opinion and that further strengthens my stance from watching his college footage. He was a guy I definitely targeted and as far as his value in the draft compared to Barkley on a talent value basis, has a much better value and this will be evident by eos.

Edit: Waldman *Auto correct

I was unaware of Wildman's opinion and that further strengthens my stance from watching his college footage. He was a guy I definitely targeted and as far as his value in the draft compared to Barkley on a talent value basis, has a much better value and this will be evident by eos.

Edit: Waldman *Auto correct
non-Chubb related; I'm just incredibly surprised that Waldman autocorrects to Wildman anywhere.

non-Chubb related; I'm just incredibly surprised that Waldman autocorrects to Wildman anywhere.
 Google voice talking into your phone is an incredible Adventure. No idea why it capitalizes keywords either like Adventure above.

As a Hyde owner with the chance to get Chubb via waivers, do you consider him more valuable than some of the "flavor of the week" options like Cohen, Hines, Davis, who may or may not have a more defined role than Chubb right now? Really considering dropping Crowell for him (or one of the others) as I do not see game script playing into Crowell's favor vs. Powell and lean Chubb to lock up one backfield vs. making decision on when to plug in some of the the aforementioned options.
I am targeting him over the other flavors of the week, because I am a Hyde owner. I really am kicking myself for not dropping Lat Murray before his game on Thursday night. Someone dropped Chubb on Wednesday and Chubb cleared waivers on Friday morning. Now I'll have to likely pay top dollar in a league where backs are extremely valued high.

Nick Chubb - RB - Browns

Speaking Monday, Browns coach Hue Jackson said Nick Chubb "has to get some."

"(Carlos) Hyde is playing well, but this guy is scoring touchdowns from long ways away," Jackson said. "We have good backs. We know that. Sometimes it is going to be hit and miss where some other guy is making it happen and then the other guy goes in and does it." Chubb is a freak athlete big-play threat who could certainly change the pace for the better in the Browns' offense. It's still extremely unlikely he comes into standalone fantasy value as long as Hyde is healthy. Hyde, of course, has an extensive injury history. Chubb is a must stash in all formats.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Oct 2 - 3:45 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/10/fdfb7c93844269/antonio-callaway-will-dial-it.html

Users who are viewing this thread