Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
EBF

Official Nick Chubb - RB Georgia, Dynasty

They keep re-playing his long TD run on TV and every time I watch it, it gets better. That acceleration...just insane.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

It's of concern though that we've started seeing a trend of old knee injuries coming back to haunt guys in their mid-20's (Sony, Gurley, Ajayi), and Chubb's knee injury was worse than any of theirs.  That's not to say it will ever matter again, but the possibility that he suddenly goes from 1st round dynasty startup pick to deteriorating low end RB2 out of the blue is at least worth keeping in the back of our minds.

I think this concern is rooted mainly in recency bias. Also, those guys all had different knee problems than Chubb.

15 hours ago, bumpman said:

Not sure how you can predict the durability of a RB in their second year.  Is it because Chubb had injuries in college?  Frank Gore did too.

I cant predict durability at all.  Saquon is a year younger and I think his talent level will carry him through a longer NFL career than we usually see with most backs. 

If Saquon and Chubb both avoid catastrophic injury, I think Saquon will have a longer career based on higher talent level and better ability in the passing game.  Both of these guys are awesome though. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

They keep re-playing his long TD run on TV and every time I watch it, it gets better. That acceleration...just insane.

Ravens had only allowed 181 yards on the ground the previous three games for an average of ~ 60.33 yards per game.

Nick gained more on that single run than the average 'per game' that the Ravens were allowing.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

On 8/6/2019 at 7:38 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Kitchens is a former Alabama quarterback and NFL running backs coach who laughs at assumptions his Browns will turn into Air Cleveland with Baker Mayfield throwing to Odell Beckham.

“Let me put it bluntly ... we won’t be pass-happy,” Kitchens said. “We’re gonna run the football.”

:football:

3 hours ago, DAG said:

the safety gave up at midfield

Nick Chubb rushed 16 times for 87 yards and caught his lone target for 12 yards in the Browns' Week 5 loss to the 49ers.

The Browns didn't score a touchdown in this one. Baker Mayfield completed eight passes for 100 yards. Chubb was easily the best player on the field wearing a Cleveland uniform. Fantasy owners will be disappointed with the box score, but game script was totally against Chubb all night. He'll try to bounce back as a surefire RB1 next week at home against the Seahawks.

Edited by The Frankman

Mayfield still refuses to check down.

• Like 4

On 9/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Nick Chubb reached 21.95 MPH on this 88-yard TD run, the fastest speed reached on a touchdown this season.

@NickChubb21 sustained 21+ MPH for 44.4 yards, from the Browns 33 yard line to the Ravens 21 yard line. #CLEvsBAL | #Browns

12:44 PM - 29 Sep 2019

That didn't age well.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers

CMac tied him too.  Interesting as I won't have considered either of the among the fastest.

If Mayfield could get his head out of his butt, Chubb would be a lock for a top 5 finish.

5 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

That didn't age well.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers

CMac tied him too.  Interesting as I won't have considered either of the among the fastest.

If Mayfield could get his head out of his butt, Chubb would be a lock for a top 5 finish.

Cordarrelle Patterson has always been considered fast as he ran a 4.42 forty at the Combine so it should not be a surprise he ran that fast.

Chubb ran a 4.52 forty at 5'11 and 227 lbs.

Brieda - 5'11 and 195 lbs ran a 4.38 forty.  I don't know how many starts but he's played in 34 games and has two long runs, last night and a 66 yarder last year.

I love threats to take it to the house so I'd take Chubb since he has two of the longest runs in Cleveland Browns history, a 92 and 88 yard run and didn't start till mid-season last year.  He also had two long runs, 41 and 66 in one game last year when he only had 3 carries.  He literally can take it to the house on any carry and last night he racked up 87 yards in a complete blow-out when Baker had his worst night.

Oh and SF got two weeks to prepare for an East Coast team making the trip when the Browns are banged up.  Reverse that and you would have seen a different game.

9 hours ago, joffer said:

Mayfield still refuses to check down.

Because he’s busy looking at the rush and abandons all reads to scramble like his hair is on fire.

• Like 3

It would be interesting if there was a peak speed test at the combine, not that it would necessarily be indicative of anything. The 40 isn't that though, it's mostly acceleration. Case in point, Jordan Howard's 22.03mph TD in 2016... his 40 time: 4.57s.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adso said:

It would be interesting if there was a peak speed test at the combine, not that it would necessarily be indicative of anything. The 40 isn't that though, it's mostly acceleration. Case in point, Jordan Howard's 22.03mph TD in 2016... his 40 time: 4.57s.

Definitely would be interesting. Some guys are quick (great 10 and 20 yard splits, great 3 cone) and some guys have build up speed (slower 10 & 20 splits, bad 3 cone, but decent 40), but then there are a few people with both.

Nick Chubb handled 20 carries for 65 yards, adding four catches for 26 yards in Cleveland's Week 9 loss to the Broncos.

Fantasy players can hang their hats on the fact Chubb got 24 touches, but it was ultimately a disappointing outing considering the Browns were logical favorites with Brandon Allen under center for the Broncos. Even play-calling got the best of Chubb at one point, seeing the second-year runner removed on third-and-3 and a failed fourth-and-1 attempt in a second-half sequence that Denver turned into a touchdown on their ensuing drive. Kareem Hunt's eligible to return in Week 10 against the Bills, but Chubb should continue handling a majority of Cleveland's early-down work in the short-term. Consider Chubb a Top 8 RB for at least one more week while Hunt gets acclimated.

Nov 3, 2019, 9:01 PM ET

Nick Chubb rushed 20 times for 116 yards in the Browns' Week 10 win over the Bills, adding two receptions for five yards.

The 100-yard day on the ground was Chubb's third in four games, and fourth in six. The big news, though, was Kareem Hunt's return and immediate role on offense. Hunt hauled in seven receptions on a whopping nine targets and added 4/30 on the ground. Chubb still kept his usual 20-touch role, but that is going to be more difficult for tougher matchups like Thursday's short-week date with the Steelers. Hunt is real, and he won't be going away for the desperate Browns. Chubb will be a low-end RB1 vs. Pittsburgh.

Edited by The Frankman

Nick Chubb rushed 27 times for 92 yards in the Browns' Week 11 win over the Steelers.

With Kareem Hunt operating as the third-down back, Chubb was targeted just once in the passing game, failing to corral it. Despite Hunt's involvement, Chubb's 27 touches actually matched his season high, while he's now cleared 20 carries in five-straight games and 7-of-8. Hunt's presence dings both Chubb's floor and ceiling, but it shouldn't be a concern against the pathetic Dolphins in Week 12. Chubb will remain a locked-in RB1 for that one.

Edited by The Frankman

He hurt his groin at the end of the game and I'm expecting him to possibly miss some time....Hunt was in at the end of the game 

1 hour ago, FGITLOTR said:

He hurt his groin at the end of the game and I'm expecting him to possibly miss some time....Hunt was in at the end of the game 

Maybe. They were also up two scores, so who knows how serious it was. I agree it seemed to pull on him

And lost four yards on three carries or something like that. Bummer if you started him like I did.

Not sure about that. 

He did grab at his groin after each of his last two runs.  But he gained 12 yards on the first, grabbed at his groin, stayed in the game, gained 6 yards, grabbed at  his groin again, then came out.  They showed him on the sidelines, talking to team--mates.  Didn't seem to have a trainer looking at it, didn't go into the blue tent, etc.  Hunt came in on 2nd down, lost yards.  3rd down lost yards, 4th down punt.  One more Cle offensive play, a knee. 

Not sure if there's enough info to expect him to miss time.  They have 10 days until their next game, so he'll have a few extra days, if needed to give it some rest.  We won' t know anything until next Wednesday, I'd guess.

Ugh, the groin. The third member of the dreaded triumvirate (along with turf toe and hammy)!

30 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Ugh, the groin. The third member of the dreaded triumvirate (along with turf toe and hammy)!

Not 100% sure it was his groin, per se.  He grabbed at it after each of his last 2 runs, but he didn't seem hampered on the 2nd run, and he didn't seem to be stretching it out after he came out.  Seemed like several players were shown talking to him, and he appeared to be shaking his head, almost as if to say "nah, I'm fine."  Wondering if maybe he got kicked in the balls, rather than an actual groin injury?  Since they didn't have another meaningful offensive play after the punt 2 plays later, it's hard to tell.

1 minute ago, Bayhawks said:

Not 100% sure it was his groin, per se.  He grabbed at it after each of his last 2 runs, but he didn't seem hampered on the 2nd run, and he didn't seem to be stretching it out after he came out.  Seemed like several players were shown talking to him, and he appeared to be shaking his head, almost as if to say "nah, I'm fine."  Wondering if maybe he got kicked in the balls, rather than an actual groin injury?  Since they didn't have another meaningful offensive play after the punt 2 plays later, it's hard to tell.

Thought I saw him shaking it out like you would a groin. Probably something to keep tabs on.  

5 hours ago, FGITLOTR said:

Maybe, but there has been no news about Chubb’s health so far. He did leave after getting 1,000 yards rushing for the season, so perhaps that’s why he left afterwards, and his body could have been saying ‘enough’ after a short week of rest. Yes, I saw what he did on the sidelines, but if I had to guess right now, I say he should be okay for next week but we shall see. I do have Chubb in one league with Hunt backing him up, thus I’m protected if he sits (which shows that everyone should protect their RBs if possible). For now, I will worry about next week, well, next week. 

Edited by Mario Wario

43 minutes ago, Mario Wario said:

Maybe, but there has been no news about Chubb’s health so far. He did leave after getting 1,000 yards rushing for the season, so perhaps that’s why he left afterwards, and his body could have been saying ‘enough’ after a short week of rest. Yes, I saw what he did on the sidelines, but if I had to guess right now, I say he should be okay for next week but we shall see. I do have Chubb in one league with Hunt backing him up, thus I’m protected if he sits (which shows that everyone should protect their RBs if possible). For now, I will worry about next week, well, next week. 

I am not worried about Chubb's health.  I am worried about Hunt's use in the passing game, and that Chubb wasn't in the game during one of the times CLE had 1st and goal at the 1....Hunt was.  If Chubb isn't catching ANY passes and won't get all the goalline love, Chubb is going to be hard pressed to continue as a solid RB1.

I assumed  that Hunt would just be a COP back.  I was wrong.  They use Hunt quite often, and at times in the game along with Chubb.  Good for CLE, back for Chubb fantasy owners. 

Chubb had almost 30 touches/opportunities. The game script wasn't conducive to him catching passes since Hunt is the obvious passing down guy...but I think the worries are overblown. The UDFA RBs were already stealing a lot of that work. 

5 hours ago, Bayhawks said:

Not sure about that. 

He did grab at his groin after each of his last two runs.  But he gained 12 yards on the first, grabbed at his groin, stayed in the game, gained 6 yards, again, then came out.  They showed him on the sidelines, talking to team--mates.  Didn't seem to have a trainer looking at it, didn't go into the blue tent, etc.  Hunt came in on 2nd down, lost yards.  3rd down lost yards, 4th down punt.  One more Cle offensive play, a knee. 

Not sure if there's enough info to expect him to miss time.  They have 10 days until their next game, so he'll have a few extra days, if needed to give it some rest.  We won' t know anything until next Wednesday, I'd guess.

Maybe he was adjusting.

3 minutes ago, fightingillini said:

I am not worried about Chubb's health.  I am worried about Hunt's use in the passing game, and that Chubb wasn't in the game during one of the times CLE had 1st and goal at the 1....Hunt was.  If Chubb isn't catching ANY passes and won't get all the goalline love, Chubb is going to be hard pressed to continue as a solid RB1.

I assumed  that Hunt would just be a COP back.  I was wrong.  They use Hunt quite often, and at times in the game along with Chubb.  Good for CLE, back for Chubb fantasy owners. 

He's going to be TD dependent if his targets don't increase, and I'm not sure I expect them to. He's a low end RB1 in the Derrick Henry mold now.

If I was Cleveland I'd split the carries more evenly. This should be an Ingram/Kamara split, imo.  If they want to make life easier for Baker, they should spread the defense out and get Hunt in space. That will be easier to do in one back sets.

26 minutes ago, fightingillini said:

Yeah...I'm getting the uneasy feeling of "Thank God Hunt is here, now we don't have to throw to Chubb anymore"

Also, Hunt looks really really good.

Chubb owners have to be praying Hunt is playing somewhere else next year esp in ppr leagues

1 hour ago, Encumbrance said:

Thought I saw him shaking it out like you would a groin. Probably something to keep tabs on.  

More than twice?

Nick Chubb rushed 21 times for 106 yards and a touchdown and caught 3-of-4 targets for 58 yards in Week 12 against Miami.

Chubb wasn't used much in the first half with Baker Mayfield throwing three touchdowns. He had a touchdown vultured by Kareem Hunt, but he converted a goal-line carry late in the fourth quarter to seal the game. Even with Hunt taking on a larger role, Chubb has been a workhorse, with six straight games with at least 20 carries and 100 plus yards in two of the last three weeks. Chubb will remain and an RB1 for a Week 12 matchup with the Steelers.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 2

Nick Chubb handled 16 carries for 58 yards, adding a 21-yard catch in Cleveland's Week 13 loss to the Steelers.

Chubb opened the game with 10 carries to Kareem Hunt's 4, shredding Pittsburgh's front-seven for 43 yards and 4.3 yards per attempt to help put the Browns up 10-0 in the second quarter. He saw just five second-half carries since the Steelers' offense rattled off 20 unanswered points to lead by double-digits heading into the final 15 minutes. As proven time and time again this year, Chubb continues offering very little in Cleveland's receiving-game, having caught just six passes to Hunt's 20 since the latter initially re-joined the Browns back in Week 10. Chubb still projects to see 20-plus carries with his team presumably holding a lead and feeding him the rock against the Bengals in Week 14.

Edited by The Frankman

Chubb is so good but is there any other RB who breaks so many long runs and gets caught and tackled inside the 5 (and then vultured)?  

Nick Chubb rushed 15 times for 106 yards in the Browns' Week 14 win over the Bengals.

He caught his lone target for 11 yards. Chubb went into halftime with three carries for seven yards but broke off a 57-yard run after the break only to be dragged down at the three-yard line. He left the field after the run and watched Kareem Hunt score a three-yard touchdown two plays later. Chubb also watched Baker Mayfield rush for a seven-yard touchdown. Since the addition of Hunt from suspension, Chubb's targets have nearly disappeared while Hunt sees double-digit touches weekly. Chubb will be an RB1 next week against the Cardinals.

Edited by The Frankman

Nick Chubb rushed 15 times for 45 yards in the Browns' Week 16 loss to the Ravens.

Chubb's long run on the day was just 12. He didn't catch his only target. Chubb didn't benefit from negative game script and was barely used as a receiver. Kareem Hunt (4-33-0 receiving) has largely worked alongside Chubb as a co-starting RB since returning from suspension. Both players are great enough talents to warrant weekly borderline RB1 treatment, but Chubb hasn’t been treated as a true three-down back in this offense for most of the season. This means he’ll occasionally have floor games like this when the big runs aren’t there.

Edited by The Frankman

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Only Derrick Henry projects out with more rushing yards on the season. 

How on earth do they know that given that there's a new coaching staff and when Hunt came back, according to a source I saw, Chubb and Hunt were RB14 and RB15 respectively? Hunt's too good to just sit idly while Chubb demands enough carries for that sort of prognostication. 

Edited by rockaction

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

How on earth do they know that given that there's a new coaching staff and when Hunt came back, according to a source I saw, Chubb and Hunt were RB14 and RB15 respectively? Hunt's too good to just sit idly while Chubb demands enough carries for that sort of prognostication. 

They have Hunt with more than double the receiving yards.

And when Hunt came back he had 179 yard rushing. Chubb had 691.

With Hunt on the team, Chubb is a low end RB1.  Chubb looks good when the ball is in his hands, but with so much other talent in the backfield, the team will limit him to 15-18 touches per game.  Seems similar to all of Mark Ingram's recent seasons.