What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Mel Kiper advises Georgia junior RB Nick Chubb to return to school.
"Chubb was great early but fell back a bit and wasn't as big-time and dynamic as you thought he would be," Kiper said. "There were a lot of great running backs playing week in and week out, and I think that kind of pushed him down a little bit. He is not in the top 10 of the running back group, and my attitude with him is, 'Are you going to be OK if you drop a little bit?'" The 5-foot-10, 228-pound Chubb rushed for 988 yards and 4.8 yards per carry in his first year back from the devastating knee injury that he suffered against Tennessee in October 2015. Chubb might be best served holding off on the NFL until next year, because this year's RB crop is stacked, potentially featuring LSU's Leonard Fournette, Florida State's Dalvin Cook, Stanford's Christian McCaffrey, Tennessee's Alvin Kamara, Ohio State's Curtis Samuel, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Clemson's Wayne Gallman, Oklahoma's Samaje Perine and Texas' D'Onta Foreman.

Source: Times Free Press 
Dec 12 - 12:21 PM

Not signed in
That is horrible advice for Chubb.  If he has another major knee injury he'll be close to un-draftable.  Even if he falls into the late 2nd/3rd round in the NFL draft he should come out.

Guess he probably has a big insurance policy to protect against that but staying in school just seems like an awful idea.

That is horrible advice for Chubb.  If he has another major knee injury he'll be close to un-draftable.  Even if he falls into the late 2nd/3rd round in the NFL draft he should come out.

Guess he probably has a big insurance policy to protect against that but staying in school just seems like an awful idea.
I agree. Also, it means you get your big deal 1 year earlier. Chubb likely isn't a top 10 pick even if he stays another year and does well. Better to get picked in the 2nd/3rd, rehab/get better in the NFL and play well and get a nice 2nd deal. Too much risk as you said. If he gets hurt again, he's might not ever get a deal and I doubt a guy who isn't talked about as a 1st round pick can get a multi-million dollar policy. Way too much risk for the insurance company.

Boo. I hope he stays healthy. So much risk. If he performs like this year or gets hurt he won't even be a 2nd rounder like he might be this year.

Did anyone see the bowl game? Was Chubb showing flashes of the talent level we saw pre-injury?

Did anyone see the bowl game? Was Chubb showing flashes of the talent level we saw pre-injury?
I'm a TCU guy so ended up watching most of the game while installing bookshelves (so not with a ton of attentiveness to the game). I can't speak with a ton of authority, since I hadn't followed Chubb's career to much of an extent before his injury, but I came away impressed with him by the end of the game.

Neither team looked great in the first half, but Chubb's 50ish yard run near the end of the third seemed to be the turning point for the game. Very impressive run. Made some good moves, showed good vision and power, and solid speed. His touchdown run in the fourth, from 10ish yards out, showed a lot of power as well. He and Michel wore down our defense and then feasted in the second half, and it was a thing of beauty when they did.

I saw flashes of elite talent, but I don't think he's quite yet back in the same league as Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey. I'd take Guice over him too. Probably in the same league as Mixon for me, and ahead of guys like Foreman, Perine, and Samuel out of OSU. I think Chubb's ceiling is higher than any of those names after Guice, but he looked about their caliber to me right now at this point in his recovery.***

***Disclaimer: I'm not a dynasty player, so my player evaluation is probably pretty poor. Just an eye test thing when ranking these guys for me.

I'm a TCU guy so ended up watching most of the game while installing bookshelves (so not with a ton of attentiveness to the game). I can't speak with a ton of authority, since I hadn't followed Chubb's career to much of an extent before his injury, but I came away impressed with him by the end of the game.

Neither team looked great in the first half, but Chubb's 50ish yard run near the end of the third seemed to be the turning point for the game. Very impressive run. Made some good moves, showed good vision and power, and solid speed. His touchdown run in the fourth, from 10ish yards out, showed a lot of power as well. He and Michel wore down our defense and then feasted in the second half, and it was a thing of beauty when they did.

I saw flashes of elite talent, but I don't think he's quite yet back in the same league as Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey. I'd take Guice over him too. Probably in the same league as Mixon for me, and ahead of guys like Foreman, Perine, and Samuel out of OSU. I think Chubb's ceiling is higher than any of those names after Guice, but he looked about their caliber to me right now at this point in his recovery.***

***Disclaimer: I'm not a dynasty player, so my player evaluation is probably pretty poor. Just an eye test thing when ranking these guys for me.
You should probably give EBF a trigger warning before posting such things so that he may retreat to his safe space.  I know he's very high on Chubb and I have him in one league myself.

You should probably give EBF a trigger warning before posting such things so that he may retreat to his safe space.  I know he's very high on Chubb and I have him in one league myself.
Ha, I'll take shelter then to save myself from the worst of any rage that might come my way.

For real though, my experience with watching Chubb play is YouTube highlight videos and that one TCU game, so I'd probably defer to anyone else's judgement before my own. I saw flashes of an elite player, and he very well could return to form, but he didn't look like a game changer for me, or anyone I'd sell the farm for, at this point.

I think EBF would agree that Chubb was not the same player as he was before injury.

That said, another year removed should help him get back to where he was and may vault him to top 3 or 4 RBs next year (think he would be 5+ this year)

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb had a 40-inch vertical and a sub 4.5-second 40-yard dash prior to injuring his knee in 2015.
Chubb has a solid return from his devastating knee injury last season -- rushing for 1,130 yards on 5.0 yards per carry -- but he didn't look like the same runner that punished the SEC for 1,547 yards on 7.1 ypc as a freshman in 2014. Back then, the 5-foot-10, 228-pound Chubb looked like a potential future first-rounder. He has one more year to mend his knee before the NFL pokes and prods it.

Source: ESPN 
Mar 14 - 2:48 PM

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb has been running without a brace or wrap on his knee this spring.

Chubb had himself a somewhat down 2016 season after being waylaid by a serious knee injury the previous October. He ultimately finished out the campaign rushing for 1,130 yards and eight touchdowns. The 5-foot-10, 228-pounder subsequently opted to return to school for 2017 rather than jump to the NFL Draft. When asked how hurt he was during the 2016 season, Chubb gave a pretty fair assessment of his mindset, saying, "It’s just kind of different. I don’t know. I wasn’t hurt at all. I don’t know how to explain it. Maybe range of motion? Being able to move more, move quicker and better laterally. I think it was mental."

Source: Dawg Nation 
Mar 26 - 3:08 PM

I didn't see the game today. He's been putting up good numbers. Anyone think he's back to being Nick Chubb pre-injury?

I didn't see the game today. He's been putting up good numbers. Anyone think he's back to being Nick Chubb pre-injury?
Curious as well but I haven't seen him play yet this year.

He currently has 91 rushing attempts 618 yards (6.8 ypc) with a long of 33 yards.

He is just behind Barkley in total rushing yards on fewer carries.

Lots of other college RB ahead of both of them right now.

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb rushed for 102 yards on 20 carries in Saturday's 24-10 win over South Carolina.

The Bulldogs were unable to truly pull away from the Gamecocks in this one, but Chubb posted a workmanlike effort to help them grind out the victory nonetheless. The 5-foot-10, 235-pound senior has been a dependent -- if largely unspectacular -- performer throughout the campaign. While he has topped 100 yards rushing just four times, he has managed at least 70 yards on the ground in eight of nine contests.

Nov 4 - 8:39 PM

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to catch many UGA games this year. How does he look?  How close is he to his pre-injury form?  His box scores have looked good. 

Yes he's been good but chalk that up to splitting carries with Sony Michael.  That kid can run too.  I'm more impressed by him actually.  UGA has a good rotation going with those 2 and a true frosh Swift; so no need for Chubb to carry the ball 25-30 times a game.  Both Chubb and Sony are about identical in size so I'm curious to see what draft grade the scouts put on Sony.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to catch many UGA games this year. How does he look?  How close is he to his pre-injury form?  His box scores have looked good. 
He’s been spotty, he’s looked good against some teams and not so good against others.

Tex

Yes he's been good but chalk that up to splitting carries with Sony Michael.  That kid can run too.  I'm more impressed by him actually.  UGA has a good rotation going with those 2 and a true frosh Swift; so no need for Chubb to carry the ball 25-30 times a game.  Both Chubb and Sony are about identical in size so I'm curious to see what draft grade the scouts put on Sony.
I’m a big fan of Sony: 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/683118-the-devy-draft-thread/?do=findComment&comment=18094927

Tex

If his combine is more reflective of Samaje Perine then pre injury Nick Chubb I won’t go down that path of “well, if they can return to this form” again.

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb needs just 13 yards to surpass Bo Jackson for fourth among all-time leading rushers in the SEC.

Chubb currently sits at 4,291 yards, and has a chance to be just behind Herschel Walker all-time at his pace. Bo did play fours season like Chubb, although both did not have top end usage during one year. For Chubb it was due to a horrific leg injury, but he continued at a high level the next season. Chubb is among the nation's leaders in 20-plus yard runs despite having to create many yards on his own.

Source: Dawg Nation

Nov 7 - 10:08 AM

Watching Georgia right now against the University of Kentucky.

Chubb with several good runs showing nice elusiveness, power and speed.

Sony Michel looks good as well. Perhaps a bit faster than Chubb is? I dunno Chubb looks pretty good in this game to me and makes me wonder why I have been hearing comments that he may not be the same player he was before his injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Georgia right now against the University of Kansas.

Sony Michel looks good as well. Perhaps a bit faster than Chubb is? I dunno Chubb looks pretty good in this game to me and makes me wonder why I have been hearing comments that he may not be the same player he was before his injury.
I think a lot of people saw pre-injury Chubb in the Gurley tier of prospects. While he’s still really good, I’m not sure he has that ceiling anymore. That said, I own him in a devy league and would love for him to be 100% of what he was pre-injury. 

Watching Georgia right now against the University of Kentucky

Fixed

Watching Georgia right now against the University of Kansas.

I think he's still getting healthier.   Good to hear, because I saw him earlier and he didn't look good, he was definitely not right.  I think that's probably why he didn't enter last year's draft, that he knew he wasn't fully back yet and didn't want to damage his outlook.

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb rushed 15 times for 151 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 42-13 victory against Kentucky.

Chubb bounced back nicely after being held to just 27 yards on 11 rushes last week at Auburn. The senior went over 1,000 yards for the season, the second time he has hit the mark in his career. He also has 12 rushing scores, just two shy of his career high set back in 2014 during his freshman campaign. He'll look to keep it rolling in the team's rivalry game at Georgia Tech next Saturday.

Nov 18 - 7:10 PM

They're easy to confuse. Both on turf and the court. But neither is likely to stop Chubb. 
I have always had this problem with college teams because there are so many different college teams, I really can't keep track of them all. The problem gets exasperated for me in that college teams change their uniforms so much during the season as well giving me no continuity that way in identifying them through memory.

I get from what you guys are saying that Kentucky is not very good, and not as good as Kansas?

They did seem outmatched by Georgia on both sides of the ball in this game. After Chubbs big run they ran 3 jet sweeps in a row and got over 10 yards each time. In the drive after this they pulled their starting QB as well. On the other side of the ball Kentucky wasn't having much success on offense either.

Sorry for my ignorance. Theres really only about 30 or so college teams that I have some consistent familiarity with out of the 297 teams. On top of that every team has over 100 players on their roster and players rotate a lot more. In this game for example it seemed that Georgia had drives where they were just passing the ball. Drives where Chubb wasn't even in the game. Drives where Chubb was in the game, and then the drives after his big run. They have enough personnel that they can be playing completely different types of offense on any given drive.

I guess some people do it, but it would be a full time job to try to keep track of all this stuff. I have a hard enough time keeping up to speed with the 32 NFL teams.

In the NFL there are 1,696 players rostered at all times. A bit more than that considering practice squads so something like 2000 total players, which is a lot to keep track of.

In college each team has 125 players x 297 teams is 37,125 players and it is actually likely more than that. NFL rosters are only about 5% of all of the college teams rosters.

I have always had this problem with college teams because there are so many different college teams, I really can't keep track of them all. The problem gets exasperated for me in that college teams change their uniforms so much during the season as well giving me no continuity that way in identifying them through memory.

I get from what you guys are saying that Kentucky is not very good, and not as good as Kansas?

They did seem outmatched by Georgia on both sides of the ball in this game. After Chubbs big run they ran 3 jet sweeps in a row and got over 10 yards each time. In the drive after this they pulled their starting QB as well. On the other side of the ball Kentucky wasn't having much success on offense either.

Sorry for my ignorance. Theres really only about 30 or so college teams that I have some consistent familiarity with out of the 297 teams. On top of that every team has over 100 players on their roster and players rotate a lot more. In this game for example it seemed that Georgia had drives where they were just passing the ball. Drives where Chubb wasn't even in the game. Drives where Chubb was in the game, and then the drives after his big run. They have enough personnel that they can be playing completely different types of offense on any given drive.

I guess some people do it, but it would be a full time job to try to keep track of all this stuff. I have a hard enough time keeping up to speed with the 32 NFL teams.

In the NFL there are 1,696 players rostered at all times. A bit more than that considering practice squads so something like 2000 total players, which is a lot to keep track of.

In college each team has 125 players x 297 teams is 37,125 players and it is actually likely more than that. NFL rosters are only about 5% of all of the college teams rosters.
Kansas is perhaps the worst team in the NCAA, among major schools. Kentucky is probably about average. 

Kansas is perhaps the worst team in the NCAA, among major schools. Kentucky is probably about average. 
How do you know this?

Just trying to learn a bit about the college teams.

While I think Georgia seemed like a better team than Kentucky, I wouldn't say that what Chubb was doing was all a result of good blocking. He made some very good cuts and also hurdled over trash at the line of scrimmage on a 2nd and 17 play before gaining additional yards after the move with a nice combination of burst back to near full speed and then power driving forward after contract for another 4-5 yards after this. He did not go down easy. He showed a good combination of several skills on that play and almost got the 1st down on it with multiple defenders around trying to stop him.

One of Georgias left tackles was injured on a drive prior to this and I don't know if that player returned to the game.

Kentucky is a bowl team and has some quality wins.  That's a little better than average.  Not a lot better, but a little better.

Kentucky is a bowl team and has some quality wins.  That's a little better than average.  Not a lot better, but a little better.
In the past that meant something. Now there are 40 bowl games. I guess that's slightly above average but the point remains, they aren't likely to stop Chubb unless he's just off.

In the past that meant something. Now there are 40 bowl games. I guess that's slightly above average but the point remains, they aren't likely to stop Chubb unless he's just off.
I agree Chubb and the dogs are much better, but Ky deserves more respect than being mistaken for Kansas.  Yes there a lot of Bowls but Ky plays in the tough SEC and are 7-4 with some quality wins.

Yeah not really much of a comparison between a 7-4 team with 3 close losses (4 points or less) and a 1-10 team that's been blown out in the majority of their losses.

I agree Chubb and the dogs are much better, but Ky deserves more respect than being mistaken for Kansas.  Yes there a lot of Bowls but Ky plays in the tough SEC and are 7-4 with some quality wins.
:shrug: it was originally a joke. I'm actually used to people confusing KU and UK. (I'm a Jayhawk)

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline believes Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb is a "feature runner" at the next level.

Chubb ran for 151 yards on just 15 carries in their rout of Kentucky on Saturday. Pauline notes that Chubb sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of star running backs, including his teammate Sony Michel. "Make no doubt about it, if Chubb checks out medically he’s worthy of being selected in the late portion of round one and projects as a feature runner for the next level," Pauline said. The tailback will look to finish the regular season with a victory over rival Georgia Tech.

Source: Draft Analyst

Nov 20 - 9:16 PM

He will test off the charts in Indianapolis. Don't be surprised if he runs below 4.4 and his vertical jump approaches 40 inches. Still not sure if he's a first-round pick however given his injury history. But I think he looks like 2x the player he was last year.

Users who are viewing this thread