What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb rushed for 77 yards on 13 carries in Saturday's 28-7 win over Auburn in the SEC Championship Game.

Chubb played like a metronome in this one, consistently gaining positive yardage without snapping off any huge runs. His long scamper in the contest went for 20 yards. The 5-foot-10, 228-pound senior has rushed for 1,175 yards and 13 touchdowns on the season, his third campaign with at least 1,000 yards on the ground. The lone outlier on that front came in 2015, when Chubb was knocked out for most of the season by a severe knee injury.

Dec 2 - 8:02 PM

He will test off the charts in Indianapolis. Don't be surprised if he runs below 4.4 and his vertical jump approaches 40 inches. Still not sure if he's a first-round pick however given his injury history. But I think he looks like 2x the player he was last year.
I’d be surprised if he ran a 4.4 I don’t see it. B. Love might be a 4.4 guy and he’s not faster than Love.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline wrote that he was "surprised" to hear several area scouts grade Georgia senior RB Sony Michel as a better draft prospect that Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb.

"They believe Michel’s game projects better to the next level compared to Chubb’s and that both will end up in the draft’s second round," Pauline writes. Don't count the analyst in this boat -- he not only views Chubb as a better prospect than Michel, he believes that the 5-foot-10, 228-pounder will be drafted on Day 1 come the spring. Chubb has rushed for at least 1,000 yards in three of his four seasons. He probably would have made it 4-for-4 had he not suffered a serious season-ending knee injury in the autumn of 2015.

Source: Draft Analyst

Dec 6 - 5:08 PM

He ran ~10.7 in the 100m in HS, which is definitely fast enough to make him a threat for 4.4x in the 40. Whether or not he still has that speed is open to debate.

He's still a good back, but not the phenomenon he was as a freshman-sophomore.

He ran ~10.7 in the 100m in HS, which is definitely fast enough to make him a threat for 4.4x in the 40. Whether or not he still has that speed is open to debate.

He's still a good back, but not the phenomenon he was as a freshman-sophomore.
How much of that do you think was due to his injury?  

My hope for Chubb is that he's not quite fully recovered and will get better the more healthy he gets.  Might be a pipe dream though.

How much of that do you think was due to his injury?  

My hope for Chubb is that he's not quite fully recovered and will get better the more healthy he gets.  Might be a pipe dream though.
It's been more than 2 years since the injury now.  Not sure how much better it's going to get.

By all indications, his explosiveness has returned to a very good level. He averaged 6.2 YPC this season. More tellingly, he broke 16 runs of 20+ yards (7th in the country) on 191 carries (42nd in the country). So he's already giving you A LOT more big plays than the average back. Barkley "only" has 13 runs of 20+ on 199 carries and nobody questions his speed or athletic ability. Chubb's long run % is basically the same as it was in 2014-2015 when he was arguably the best back in the country, so maybe I'm underestimating how "back" he really is. It's only his overall YPC that's down.

Chubb's stats show elite big play skills in every season but 2016, when he was less than a year removed from the knee injury. That season his numbers were way, way down. He only had 7 long runs on 224 carries. To put that into perspective, he had 8 long runs in 2015...on 92 carries. In every other season besides the injury year, he has pretty consistently averaged a long run almost every 10 carries. He's back to that level now, so there's some good statistical evidence that his speed/explosiveness are mostly intact. If that's the case, a 4.4X is definitely in play at the combine. This is a guy with freakish athleticism and a strong track background. Athletically, he's a height/weight/speed/explosiveness freak.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he doesn’t it means you’re getting Guice or Ronald Jones, both of which I’d rather have. You’re sitting pretty. 
Guice would be nice too, haven't watched much of jones so not sure about him yet, have heard he is pretty good though

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb rushed for 145 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries in Monday's 54-48 double-overtime win over Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

Chubb (5'10/228) was an absolutely punishing runner throughout, no more evidently than on his 50-yard touchdown run early in the third quarter. On the play, he fought off at least two would-be tacklers near the line of scrimmage and then turned on the afterburners to chug into the end zone to get Georgia going after they fell behind 31-17 through the first two quarters of the game. He would also score the overtime-forcing touchdown with under a minute remaining, angling in from two yards out after taking the direct snap out of the wild cat. Chubb finishes his senior season in Athens having rushed for 1,320 yards and 15 touchdowns. He topped 1,000 yards in three of four seasons at Georgia, with only his injury-shortened 2015 campaign landing under that mark. A bruiser of a back (as OU can attest to), Chubb also has more than enough speed for NFL purposes and profiles as a probable first-round selection.

Jan 1 - 9:43 PM

I'll admit to getting excited again about Chubb.  I was worried he'd never come back from that injury.  He looked pretty solid in the Rose Bowl.

You are not alone in thinking that.

I think Sony might be faster than Chubb, but I don't see how he is better than Chubb in any other way.
I think he’ll be a better receiver and I think his vision is a tad better.  And from a complete intangible perspective I’ve always felt Michel plays with an attitude to prove a point.  I think both will be productive.

I think he’ll be a better receiver and I think his vision is a tad better.  And from a complete intangible perspective I’ve always felt Michel plays with an attitude to prove a point.  I think both will be productive.
What makes you think Mitchels vision is better?

I still have some games to watch, but from what I have seen, Mitchel is used to run outside most of the time, while Chubb runs inside.

A RB does not need better vision when they are running outside the tackles. It is pretty much laid out for them where to run. While a RB running inside does need vision and timing to find the lanes.

Ask 5: Which RB in national title game will have best NFL career?

There is an NFL executive that seems to agree with AAABateries point of view.

Executive 4: Georgia RB Sony Michel
"Best vision, run skills and third-down value."
3 of these people who were asked thought Chubb's game was better than Mitchel, while 2 of the 5 prefer Mitchel.

So very close.

I did watch some clips of Mitchel briefly just now googling Sony Mitchel inside runs. And he does have them which I hadn't seen before. A lot of these plays that I saw however do not demonstrate vision. It is Mitchel hitting a clear hole full speed and he does not need to make defenders miss on the play, just hitting it fast and out running the defense.

There must be other plays that do demonstrate this vision. I just haven't seen them yet.

What makes you think Mitchels vision is better?

I still have some games to watch, but from what I have seen, Mitchel is used to run outside most of the time, while Chubb runs inside.

A RB does not need better vision when they are running outside the tackles. It is pretty much laid out for them where to run. While a RB running inside does need vision and timing to find the lanes.
I'm not a big X's and O's guy - purely my reaction from watching them play.  I live in GA so I get to see almost all of their games.

In my experience, the RBs that literally only use vision to evade would-be tacklers don't have (what we typically term) "good vision". These are typically what people refer to as "open-field" runners... simply because they need to SEE who's coming to tackle them to run away from them. Michel has good moves, but I think he falls in this category... to me he seems like a reactive runner.

Chubb appears much more instinctive in my opinion. He actually reminds me quite a bit of a young Frank Gore with his quick feet and ability to chain together cuts to beat tacklers at the second level.

I'm not a big X's and O's guy - purely my reaction from watching them play.  I live in GA so I get to see almost all of their games.
I appreciate the insight. I only saw two of their games live this season to base my impression on.

Will definitely take some time to watch Mitchel as well, who likely needs his own thread.

I appreciate the insight. I only saw two of their games live this season to base my impression on.

Will definitely take some time to watch Mitchel as well, who likely needs his own thread.
Michel. Sony Michel. 

And his stock is going thru the roof currently. A few big plays tonight, he'll be top 4 convo.

Soulfly3 said:
Michel. Sony Michel. 

And his stock is going thru the roof currently. A few big plays tonight, he'll be top 4 convo.
Make a thread for the guy then. Or someone else who likes his game please do so.

This is a thread about Nick Chubb and the comments saying Michel is better than him are intentionally or not throwing shade at Chubb.

Make a thread for the guy then. Or someone else who likes his game please do so.

This is a thread about Nick Chubb and the comments saying Michel is better than him are intentionally or not throwing shade at Chubb.
Well, easy to discuss the 2... the run behind the same line, and both are dominant. 

watch them tonight, to see what you like. no better indicator than under the bright lights, national championship.

wont tell the whole story, but the difference between chubb and michel isnt as big as ppl think.

I think Soulfly was just reminding you how to spell the guys name - not taking the thread over.

its Michel. Not Mitchel

carry on 

Hopefully you are watching tonight - Michel looks so much better to me and while it’s not typical for Chubb to get shutdown, for me he’s not as explosive and fast as Michel.

I felt Michel was the better back of the two going into this game, and tonight has pretty much solidified that.  Chubb looks pretty pedestrian to me.

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb rushed for 25 yards on 18 carries in Monday's 26-23 overtime loss to Alabama in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Chubb (5'10/228) was given his fair share of carries. He just couldn't do much with them, repeatedly running into walls of Tide defenders. The quicker Sony Michel (98 yards rushing) proved considerably more adept in this matchup. Chubb wraps his prolific career at Georgia with three 1,000-yard seasons in four years and capped it all off with 1,345 yards and 15 touchdowns for the 2017 campaign. He'll look to impress during the evaluating process, now, as he trucks his way toward a first-round selection in the spring. While not as quick in small holes as Michel, Chubb is fast enough to break long runs and is a bruiser who can shed tackles in close quarters.

Jan 9 - 1:49 AM

I felt Michel was the better back of the two going into this game, and tonight has pretty much solidified that.  Chubb looks pretty pedestrian to me.
:yes:

Chubb is better than he played but not a high first imo.  Not in my top 5 backs and I wouldn't be surprised to see Harris and Wadley have better careers.

I still put Chubb as a quicker Leonard Fournette type whose games vs Alabama looked like the same stat line. And Fournette has looked good

payne is a beast

nothing changes, and I still have Chubb at 4. Ahead of Michel sophomore I see as more RBBC. 

If not sure how anybody watches the game last night and still thinks Chubb is better than Michel.
because it was one game where the two backs were used very differently?

I think Michel is very good and speed kills, but most weeks I've watched Chubb looks like the better all around back and the type that will be better at the next level. I think Michel could be a real good one also so we're splitting hairs here.

I have seen Chubb carry the ball maybe 100 times this year.  I have yet to see a single paly that made me take notice of him, except in negative ways.  I am constantly thinking "this is the guy generating so much talk?"  I guess I have just missed his eye-popping plays in some weird statistical anomaly. That said, if he has so many pedestrian plays against college defenses I wonder about him at the next level.

because it was one game where the two backs were used very differently?

I think Michel is very good and speed kills, but most weeks I've watched Chubb looks like the better all around back and the type that will be better at the next level. I think Michel could be a real good one also so we're splitting hairs here.
Kind of reminds me of Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they matched their success although I think Michel can be a better receiving back with the right coach.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

Chubb is a powerfully built running back. He's at his best running between the tackles. He has excellent vision. He runs with a high pad level, but he has incredible contact balance. Defenders routinely bounce off him in the hole and he always fights for extra yards. On perimeter runs, he doesn't bring the ideal suddenness to get the corner, but once he gets north/south, he's a load to bring down. He lacks home-run speed, but he racks up a lot of doubles. In the passing game, he has strong/reliable hands and he's dependable in limited pass-protection opportunities. Chubb reminds me of Jonathan Stewart coming out of college, but he doesn't quite have the same burst.

Users who are viewing this thread