Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timschochet

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

4. The Sting (1973)

Directed by: George Roy Hill

Starring: Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Robert Shaw

Love this film. From imdb:

"When George Roy Hill first approached composer Marvin Hamlisch to adapt Scott Joplin's music for the score, Hamlisch was reluctant. He was a composer of original music, after all, and not in the habit of adapting other musicians' work. "I agreed to see a first cut in the screening room," said Hamlisch in his 1992 autobiography The Way I Was. "I quickly realized that this was one of the best pictures I had seen in years...David Ward had written a witty, stylish script, George Roy Hill had directed it faultlessly, and Newman and Redford were the best screen couple in years...One of the things that drew me to The Sting was that George had been shrewd enough to leave little oases without dialogue for the music. He built montages and sequences into the picture for this purpose. Whenever I see patches in a film that are talkless, I'm in heaven." Hamlisch agreed to take on the job."

Luther said I could learn some things from you. I already know how to drink.

3. Boogie Nights (1997)

Directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Julianne Moore, Burt Reynolds

This movie has possibly more great and memorable scenes than any other I can remember. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. Dirk's time at the recording studio, and Reed's insistence that they need the recordings because it's an obvious hit- rivalling perhaps only This Is Spinal Tap in utter hilarity.

2. Scotty's scene alone in his car after he tried to kiss Dirk - "I'm a ####### idiot".

3. The initial pool sequence as the camera pans from guest to guest.

4. The initial sequence of the film as the soundtrack (remarkable) begins with the Emotions "Best of My Love".

5. Amber's court scene, and her crying afterwards.

6. Jack and Rollergirl attack Rollergirl's old schoolmate. This scene is particularly brutal, with tremendous acting. The anger, the sheer rage on the faces of Burt Reynolds and Heather Graham is palpable.

7. Dirk's changes in attitude and expression as he collects award after award- his transformation from newcomer to star.

8. Amber and Rollergirl doing coke and Rollergirl asks Amber to be her mother. Both pathetic, tragic, and deeply moving.

9. All scenes involving Don Cheadle, particularly at the bank, and at the donut shop.

10. And of course, the sequence in which Dirk, Reed, and Todd attempt to scam the drug dealer. Thomas Jane, who plays Todd, does an amazing acting job with a small amount of time on screen here. Again, the soundtrack is awesomely selected, with the music adding to the tension of the scene (especially "Sister Christian" and "Jessie's Girl".) The camera work focusing on Dirk's face is great- where is he, and how did he get here?

There's a lot I'm leaving out of course. Such an incredible, memorable film.

Up next: My father was fond of saying you need three things in life - a good doctor, a forgiving priest, and a clever accountant. The first two, I've never had much use for.

Rollergirl...................................................................................................................................................................................i'm out.

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

3. Boogie Nights (1997)

Directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Julianne Moore, Burt Reynolds

This movie has possibly more great and memorable scenes than any other I can remember. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. Dirk's time at the recording studio, and Reed's insistence that they need the recordings because it's an obvious hit- rivalling perhaps only This Is Spinal Tap in utter hilarity.

2. Scotty's scene alone in his car after he tried to kiss Dirk - "I'm a ####### idiot".

3. The initial pool sequence as the camera pans from guest to guest.

4. The initial sequence of the film as the soundtrack (remarkable) begins with the Emotions "Best of My Love".

5. Amber's court scene, and her crying afterwards.

6. Jack and Rollergirl attack Rollergirl's old schoolmate. This scene is particularly brutal, with tremendous acting. The anger, the sheer rage on the faces of Burt Reynolds and Heather Graham is palpable.

7. Dirk's changes in attitude and expression as he collects award after award- his transformation from newcomer to star.

8. Amber and Rollergirl doing coke and Rollergirl asks Amber to be her mother. Both pathetic, tragic, and deeply moving.

9. All scenes involving Don Cheadle, particularly at the bank, and at the donut shop.

10. And of course, the sequence in which Dirk, Reed, and Todd attempt to scam the drug dealer. Thomas Jane, who plays Todd, does an amazing acting job with a small amount of time on screen here. Again, the soundtrack is awesomely selected, with the music adding to the tension of the scene (especially "Sister Christian" and "Jessie's Girl".) The camera work focusing on Dirk's face is great- where is he, and how did he get here?

There's a lot I'm leaving out of course. Such an incredible, memorable film.

Up next: My father was fond of saying you need three things in life - a good doctor, a forgiving priest, and a clever accountant. The first two, I've never had much use for.

Featuring my good buddy, John Doe.  http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1997_Boogie_Nights/fhd997BGN_John_Doe_001.jpg

I wouldn't have it nearly this high, but Boogie Nights is an excellent flick.  Two of my favorite long takes ever (the opening shot and then the pool party shot that ends underwater).  And the music in this is absolutely perfect. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Love love LOVE John Doe. I didn't even make the connection that it was him.

Do you really know him?

I chatted with him for about half an hour about 10 years ago.  So that makes him a very close friend in my book.

ETA it was in 2000.  Yeesh.

1 minute ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

I chatted with him for about half an hour about 10 years ago.  So that makes him a very close friend in my book.

That is awesome. X is one of my all time favorite bands. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

So, a very close lifelong friend.

Boogie Nights #3?

Thank God I haven't been following this entire crappy list.

2. Schindler's List (1993)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley

With regard to both this film and the #1 film on my list, there is little for me to write. Either you've seen them and you recognize their greatness, or you haven't and/or you don't, in which case you're simply a philistine and why are you bothering to read this thread?

Some people, however, may question my placement of this movie as the #2 film on a list of favorites, which I have described as entertaining, since they might not see this film as particularly entertaining, more a gruesome experience. I get that. For me, I find Schindler's List to be a mesmerizing movie every time I watch it (which doesn't happen, I've noticed, unless I order it on Amazon; unlike the #1 movie on my list it's not something that shows up on TV on a regular basis.)

Even though I didn't want to demean this film by describing it in any way, I can't let any writeup on it go without discussing Ralph Fiennes, who offers what I believe to be the greatest film villain in movie history. So there's that.

Up next: Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry.

23 minutes ago, timschochet said:

2. Schindler's List (1993)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley

With regard to both this film and the #1 film on my list, there is little for me to write. Either you've seen them and you recognize their greatness, or you haven't and/or you don't, in which case you're simply a philistine and why are you bothering to read this thread?

Some people, however, may question my placement of this movie as the #2 film on a list of favorites, which I have described as entertaining, since they might not see this film as particularly entertaining, more a gruesome experience. I get that. For me, I find Schindler's List to be a mesmerizing movie every time I watch it (which doesn't happen, I've noticed, unless I order it on Amazon; unlike the #1 movie on my list it's not something that shows up on TV on a regular basis.)

Even though I didn't want to demean this film by describing it in any way, I can't let any writeup on it go without discussing Ralph Fiennes, who offers what I believe to be the greatest film villain in movie history. So there's that.

Up next: Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry.

I don't watch this as often as i'd like to. I can't. The stones-on-the-grave at the end is the most evocative moment ever captured in media and i dont ever want to get used to that catharsis.

It's a great movie.  But it's not one that I look to watch again either.  Usually when I consider my favorite movies they are ones that I could watch over and over and over again.

5 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

It's a great movie.  But it's not one that I look to watch again either.  Usually when I consider my favorite movies they are ones that I could watch over and over and over again.

I was going to post the exact same thing! :)

On 4/15/2017 at 11:01 AM, wikkidpissah said:

Rollergirl...................................................................................................................................................................................i'm out.

Oh, you think so, Doctor?

1. The Godfather (1972)

Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan

It would be an insult to this film for me to add a single word of comment.

Hope you guys enjoyed this, sorry about all the time it took. The entire list of movies can be found on the first post. I plan on devoting this thread, in the future, to random thoughts of the day, and I will answer any questions put to me. I will be continuing the Russian narrative in a different thread.

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

1. The Godfather (1972)

Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan

It would be an insult to this film for me to add a single word of comment.

Hope you guys enjoyed this, sorry about all the time it took. The entire list of movies can be found on the first post. I plan on devoting this thread, in the future, to random thoughts of the day, and I will answer any questions put to me. I will be continuing the Russian narrative in a different thread.

ladies & gentlemen....

22 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

:slowclap: Well done sir. Too funny. :)

Tim, enjoyed the thread. Good job keeping honest rather than simply regurgitating a IMDB top 100.

17 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:
23 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I was going to post the exact same thing! :)

Plus it's a lousy movie to make out at.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:17 AM, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

Exene gave Mrs. Eephus her cell phone number last week

ETA:  Exene pocket dialed a 3 min voice mail to my wife the night after they swapped numbers.  Your phone's off the hooooook but you're not

Tim the Confederate monument thing is a really sad episode in my benighted city's history. Having said that the Liberty Monument is one I don't mind seeing go. I'll discuss with you some more but it's very contentious right now and very unlike us. This is some very serious stuff and very dangerous.

8 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Tim the Confederate monument thing is a really sad episode in my benighted city's history. Having said that the Liberty Monument is one I don't mind seeing go. I'll discuss with you some more but it's very contentious right now and very unlike us. This is some very serious stuff and very dangerous.

I saw this in my Facebook feed. What's going on, SID?  

eta* What are the prevailing political pressures, process, etc.?  

Just now, rockaction said:

I saw this in my Facebook feed. What's going on, SID?  

I have to get wound up to talk about it.

Long/short: our mayor, who is white but comes from the complicated racial past that is NO, got it in his head after the Dylan Roof horror that the City should remove certain Confederate monuments.

Longer: One got rooted up in the dead of night by the city. These monuments and what they each separately represent is so complex it's difficult to get into easily. However a friend who works in the Quarter told me they had police snipers and workers wore masks to dig up the first one, even as attempts are being made to save it. That being said this particular monument represents a pernicious event of post Civil War NO. Basically there was a war around 1874 IIRC here, Uptown marched Downtown and met and fought with federal troops on Canal Street, cannons, bayonets, rifle lines, war. They threw the Fed troops out of the Customs House (which is still there, its massive) and declared a new government, basically a coup. And a monument was built to this. It goes on from there.

12 minutes ago, rockaction said:

eta* What are the prevailing political pressures, process, etc.?  

Politics is personal here. It starts with the mayor, then it gets highly racial, which we generally have a great history of avoiding. We have race politics but for the most part not angry racial politics. But this may change things.

I'm not sure about New Orleans, but we knew this would start happening. I'm just wondering how to deal with it; deal with it faithfully, you see.  The monuments of the past are often those things that shouldn't be celebrated but remembered. I hope they at least move the monuments to a museum or something. 

There's got to be a way to celebrate, honor, and revere the memory of the great generals, soldiers, and statesmen who served the Confederacy without it being a pro-racist thing. These folks are part of our history. 

5 hours ago, timschochet said:

There's got to be a way to celebrate, honor, and revere the memory of the great generals, soldiers, and statesmen who served the Confederacy without it being a pro-racist thing. These folks are part of our history. 

We could build buildings to store artefacts and highlight these people through exhibits of some kind. We could charge people a nominal fee to view these things, you know, to pay for expenses. Call it a "muse over while you see em", or something like that. 

1 hour ago, jamny said:

What did Tim do now?

He ranked Titanic his 34th favorite movie of all time.

Hey it's good to be back. I have a LOT of thoughts about politics and stuff over the last month or so. I'm sure I'll get to it. For now, hello to everybody here and feel free to ask me any questions. 

22 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Hey it's good to be back. I have a LOT of thoughts about politics and stuff over the last month or so. I'm sure I'll get to it. For now, hello to everybody here and feel free to ask me any questions. 

Welcome back.  Are you happy the Lakers drafted Lonzo Ball?

9 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Welcome back.  Are you happy the Lakers drafted Lonzo Ball?

Yes and no.

Yes because he's a very talented player and may be their next superstar- who knows? But I'm terribly optimistic. 

No because the only guy in America that possibly annoys me more than Donald Trump is about to become a regular at Staples Center. 

Hey good to see you back around

16 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

You gonna finish your music draft?

That's what I wanted to know.  You are soooooo far behind.

AT&T keeps bugging me to switch to Direct TV (currently have AT&T Uverse.) Should I do it? 

Your Billboard category of the draft was brilliant, and I took Drake. 

Welcome back. Best regards to you and your family, as bananafish alluded to.  

Why is this thread dated December 2014?

dors this sort of thing happen often with you?

7 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

You gonna finish your music draft?

I'd like to. I'm impressed that it's still going on. Let me see if I can figure out all the picks I'm missing. 

6 hours ago, MikeIke said:

AT&T keeps bugging me to switch to Direct TV (currently have AT&T Uverse.) Should I do it? 

No idea. I have DirectTV mainly so I can watch the Steelers in the fall. Other than the news I barely watch live TV- my wife and I binge watch series on Nwtflix, Amazon, and Hulu.