Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

3. I oppose the Republican healthcare bill for a variety of reasons, but a whole lot of the liberal rhetoric about it is unhelpful: the Republicans are trying to kill people, deliberately prevent poor people from getting healthcare, etc. Whom are you trying to convince with this? 

The worst aspect of populist politics, IMO, is the demonizing of one's opposition. Though Trump has been the most vocal recent proponent of this awful practice, Democrats certainly have their own long shameful history, and here it is again rearing its ugly head, particularly with Warren and Schumer, and imitated by some of the posters in this forum. I hate it. 

From what I'm hearing, the bill would screw a lot of people out of health care, which logically means some will die as a result. And the bill simultaneously lowers taxes for the wealthy.

Agree that it's not a great strategy to demonize the opposition but I don't know how you can discuss this bill honestly without framing them as evil or heartless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

From what I'm hearing, the bill would screw a lot of people out of health care, which logically means some will die as a result. And the bill simultaneously lowers taxes for the wealthy.

Agree that it's not a great strategy to demonize the opposition but I don't know how you can discuss this bill honestly without framing them as evil or heartless. 

Yet the Democrats screwed a whole lot of people out of insurance with Obamacare.  Most of us are basically self insured with the extremely high deductibles, co-pays and premiums.  If you don't think that is NOT preventing people from going to the doctor when necessary - possibly making a health situation much worse or deadly - then you are an out of your mind partisan hack.

But, hey, as long as the left can proclaim someone technically HAS insurance (but really can't use it) then that's all that counts, amiright?

ETA:  I'm not really supportive of the GOP alternative either.  It seems neither side gives two ####### ####es about anyone as they both refuse to address the real problem - cost.

Edited by MaxThreshold
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MaxThreshold said:

ETA:  I'm not really supportive of the GOP alternative either.  It seems neither said gives two ####### ####es about anyone as they both refuse to address the real problem - cost.

:goodposting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McGarnicle said:

From what I'm hearing, the bill would screw a lot of people out of health care, which logically means some will die as a result. And the bill simultaneously lowers taxes for the wealthy.

Agree that it's not a great strategy to demonize the opposition but I don't know how you can discuss this bill honestly without framing them as evil or heartless. 

The Republican philosophy is generally to move  control of these issues away from the federal government to state and local authorities as they believe that will be more cost efficient. That philosophy is one that I've come to disagree with in terms of health care, but it is neither evil nor heartless. And it's a trait of liberals to assume that if the federal government doesn't do something then it isn't done, and that line of thinking is unfair to conservatives IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The Republican philosophy is generally to move  control of these issues away from the federal government to state and local authorities as they believe that will be more cost efficient. That philosophy is one that I've come to disagree with in terms of health care, but it is neither evil nor heartless. And it's a trait of liberals to assume that if the federal government doesn't do something then it isn't done, and that line of thinking is unfair to conservatives IMO. 

Come to Texas.  Healthcare here is both evil and heartless.  Children pay the biggest price for those wonderful Republican policies.  Local (state) control of this stuff is discriminatory and just plain wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The Republican philosophy is generally to move  control of these issues away from the federal government to state and local authorities as they believe that will be more cost efficient. That philosophy is one that I've come to disagree with in terms of health care, but it is neither evil nor heartless. And it's a trait of liberals to assume that if the federal government doesn't do something then it isn't done, and that line of thinking is unfair to conservatives IMO. 

We as a nation pay more for health care and get less in return than most industrialized countries. They have single payer. I'm not a welfare state guy but there's no denying that most countries with single payer health care are doing a better job than us.

For republicans to try to push it off to the states, or just let the free market take care of it is disingenuous at best. If they genuinely believe that's the solution, okay, they're not evil, they're just stupid. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

We as a nation pay more for health care and get less in return than most industrialized countries. They have single payer. I'm not a welfare state guy but there's no denying that most countries with single payer health care are doing a better job than us.

For republicans to try to push it off to the states, or just let the free market take care of it is disingenuous at best. If they genuinely believe that's the solution, okay, they're not evil, they're just stupid. 

 

What countries have a single payer system that is considered great?  What makes their system great?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Uwe Blab said:

Is the Russia thread DOA?  Twas a good little read even if discussion was low-ish.

 

See Wonder Woman?  Gal Gadot :wub:thoughts?...AND NO I'M NOT ASKING BECAUSE SHE IS ISRAELI.

 

1. I will return to it. It was very time consuming so I ask patience. But hopefully next week sometime. 

2. I liked WW but didn't love it. It's odd that so used to enjoy comics so much as a kid but I'm not too fond of the movies. I want more character development. Gadot is beautiful and amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ren Ho3k said:

Tim, what was the most excruciating thing you weren't able to comment on during your imposed silence?  

Welcome back guy 

Thanks Ren. 

I think it was the extended discussion about what the Democratic Party should do after losing the latest special election. It was a thoughtful debate (though I believe everybody is overreacting) and I wanted to take part, even though I'm not really a Democrat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Short Corner said:

Was Winstom Churchill on vacation too?

The mods removed that alias months ago. I do not intend to use any aliases ever again. Hopefully this one won't be banned ever again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim:
Chaplin or Keaton?

Astaire or Kelly?

Favorite Hitchcock film? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

Good for you for taking accountability but you got railroaded man.

Yeah, that should have been a three day time out instead of a 30.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Tim:
Chaplin or Keaton?

Astaire or Kelly?

Favorite Hitchcock film? 

1. Chaplin. There are no Keaton films to compare with Chaplin's masterpieces (City Lights, Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Great Dictator.) The General is a great film, though.

2. For me, Kelly, but some of this has to do with the superior technology from the 50s rather than the decades before. Astaire's best movies are from the early 30s (arguably) while Singin in the Rain, An American in Paris, etc., are from a more polished era.

3. Well I go back and forth on this. I love most of the famous ones. But Vertigo has a special place in my heart since I saw it in a movie theater (in San Francisco, where it was filmed.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

What countries have a single payer system that is considered great?  What makes their system great?

Hah!  Trick question!  There are no countries with a single payer system that is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MaxThreshold said:

Hah!  Trick question!  There are no countries with a single payer system that is great.

Doesn't need to be great, just better than what we currently have been dealing with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, timschochet said:

Hey it's good to be back. I have a LOT of thoughts about politics and stuff over the last month or so. I'm sure I'll get to it. For now, hello to everybody here and feel free to ask me any questions. 

Good to see you kind sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MaxThreshold said:

Hah!  Trick question!  There are no countries with a single payer system that is great.

Hell they can change my question to what countries have a single payer system that is good.  What makes it good or what makes it better than our system?  Canada, for example, has long waits for certain procedures, do not cover other procedures that most americans current policies do cover, and does not give full free healthcare to immigrants.  How can we afford "free" healthcare from the government in the US and provide it to immigrants too?

I'm all for everyone having healthcare.  100%.  I'm also for choices and a market.  I have concerns about how we pay for it.  ACA not only raised taxes but also raised my premiums and out of pocket costs significantly with less coverage.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Hell they can change my question to what countries have a single payer system that is good.  What makes it good or what makes it better than our system?  Canada, for example, has long waits for certain procedures, do not cover other procedures that most americans current policies do cover, and does not give full free healthcare to immigrants.  How can we afford "free" healthcare from the government in the US and provide it to immigrants too?

I'm all for everyone having healthcare.  100%.  I'm also for choices and a market.  I have concerns about how we pay for it.  ACA not only raised taxes but also raised my premiums and out of pocket costs significantly with less coverage.  

I think you raise some good points. But the question is where we go from here. I don't believe what the Republicans are proposing is a positive step forward. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Tim would you mind changing the title of this thread to 'The Afghan War' or something neutral like that? I think we could use a basic Afghanistan War thread, it's obviously still going on, should be remembered, but it doesn't need the political slant ion the title IMO. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot chicks putting their hair in a bun.  Yeah or nay?

For some reason this drives me nuts.  Takes them down a couple notches on the offdee scale, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Obama at 12. That will go over well with some conservatives here.

I think it's just a tad high.  Thinking he should be around 15 or so.  Lot of his legacy still hanging in the balance.

ETA:  How did Eisenhower jump 3 spots into the top 5?

Edited by Jayrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

I think it's just a tad high.  Thinking he should be around 15 or so.  Lot of his legacy still hanging in the balance.

I wasn't a big fan of the ACA and how it got done but at least he tried to do something. I was a huge fan of how he stabilized the economy when the #### was really hitting the fan and he was a calming force. I agreed with his overall approach to redirect the country away from stupid nation building missions but even in the end there our foreign policy got a little confusing and lacked clarity. I blame Hillary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Are we drafting in the Looking For Leagues forum?  How does that make any sense?

I'd like to draft here but thanks to the complaint by Broncofan, apparently the mods won't let us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I'd like to draft here but thanks to the complaint by Broncofan, apparently the mods won't let us. 

Thread Nazi's.  :rant: 

It is funny what ruffles people's feathers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Change the title of this thread to Tim's Latest Book.  Nobody would dare enter such thread and then we can do the draft in here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Change the title of this thread to Tim's Latest Book.  Nobody would dare enter such thread and then we can do the draft in here.  

Nope. If this is what the mods want, so be it. Wish they'd reconsider, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no qualms with any of you fellas. You all are good people.

I guess my beef was that the Anarchy League announcement, not the league drafts mind you, was bumped out of the Shark Pool because, as it was told to me, these types of draft threads belong in one of either the LFL or Mock Draft forums.  That didnt make a whole lotta sense to me either, since the SP is for football discussions. :shrug:

I guess I was just looking for some consistency with the FFA manifesto. 

My apologies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

I have no qualms with any of you fellas. You all are good people.

I guess my beef was that the Anarchy League announcement, not the league drafts mind you, was bumped out of the Shark Pool because, as it was told to me, these types of draft threads belong in one of either the LFL or Mock Draft forums.  That didnt make a whole lotta sense to me either, since the SP is for football discussions. :shrug:

I guess I was just looking for some consistency with the FFA manifesto. 

My apologies. 

Understood. No problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I am going to send a PM to Aaron asking that the draft be held in the FFA. Best I can do.

Worst case scenario - why couldn't it be in this thread? Just "suspend" other discussions for the 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Worst case scenario - why couldn't it be in this thread? Just "suspend" other discussions for the 2 weeks.

Sure, if the mods agree. I'm not doing anything they won't approve, though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow--bummer that the original thread got moved.  Thank you for changing the title of this thread as I'm not sure that I would have figured that out very quickly.  Pretty lame that somebody that is not in the league complained about it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I am going to send a PM to Aaron asking that the draft be held in the FFA. Best I can do.

as I explained via PM, I'm not the one who moved it.

I don't mind having a few FFA leagues around from time to time, but also don't want to set a precedent of letting them all use the FFA. So, it's kind of subjective anyway.

Personally, I would have been fine with the Anarchy stuff in the Shark Pool but I can understand why they moved them.

Also, since the board lets you @timschochet someone to alert them when they are up, it's not that hard to have a draft in another forum IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.