What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Great foreign bands/singers that never made it in the US (1 Viewer)

lakerstan

Footballguy
Another thread on a Mike and the Mechanics song got me thinking about how great a vocalist Paul Carrack is, and how tragic it is that not many people know who he is in the US. What other bands/singers should have received more love from America?

The Jam was a big UK group that never got much US attention.

Ian Dury was huge in England and much of Europe in the late 70s. Remarkable songwriter, one of the all-time great potty mouths in music history.

Perhaps the least likely rock star ever. A polio victim as a child, he could barely use the left side of his body. He was tiny, with a huge head, braces on his legs and a barely acceptable singing voice.

He was extremely British. Sang in a cockney accent about very English subject matter, which was one of the reasons he didn't do much in the US. He didn't translate well. I also suspect the US record companies didn't know how to market a cripple.

Phillip Boa and the Voodooclub. German band that I discovered while stationed over there in the 80s. They're still releasing music and I'm still listening to them after all these years.

I dont know if I'd define "success" out here as whether or not the average american knows you by name. The average american is perfectly happy being spoonfed crap like Justin Beiber and Nickleback. No thanks.

Take a great band like Sigur Ros, previously mentioned. They sell out every venue they play at in North America with fans constantly begging them to tour more out here. This, from a band whose lyrics are almost entirely sung in Icelandic. I'd consider that pretty successful.

Take a great band like Sigur Ros, previously mentioned. They sell out every venue they play at in North America with fans constantly begging them to tour more out here. This, from a band whose lyrics are almost entirely sung in Icelandic. I'd consider that pretty successful.
I caught Sigur Ros in concert last night, great show.

Users who are viewing this thread