What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 Dumb Holiday Traditions That Need to Be Retired (1 Viewer)

ClownCausedChaos2

Footballguy
http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-dumb-holiday-traditions-that-need-to-be-retired/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Regarding the family Christmas video:

Watching this actually made me grateful that I had the type of neglectful parents who could never remember what grade I was and didn't care how my siblings and I spent our free time, as long as it was out of their hair.
Regarding the "chocolate diamond":
This might as well be made of the glass from beer bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugly sweater parties. It was fun before when people were wearing actual homemade sweaters and such. But now that companies are selling actual "ugly" sweaters, it doesn't seem as exciting.

Gift cards are great still for people you don't know well or don't see often but need to get a gift. When it's someone close to you either buy an actual gift or don't get anything.

Not sure about gift cards, they are great for kids. Pre-teens on up, where they are quiet on lists, for relatives to give since they don't know what the kid is into. They also allow the receiver to bundle them to purchase something more expensive, rather than having a bunch of little gifts they don't want.

Pretty solid list. I love giving gift cards though b/c in reality, the only thing I'd love to give more is nothing at all. Christmas gifts should just be for kids. Period.

ETA: This year, guinea pigs are the new puppy present. Luckily, the two we got are adults so they'll only be alive for a few years.

A Christmas Story...yeah it was good the first 2000 times they aired it, but give it some time to rest and breathe

For us folks that live in parts of the world that it actually snows.......

It's time to end the old 'Christmas just isn't the same without snow on the ground' mentality

I'm sure the fine folks of Bethlehem ventured on bravely without it, that day in August, 2000 something years ago when baby Jeebus born.

I say double down

2 Elves on a shelf

EVERYONE wears an ugly Christmas sweater

A Christmas Story on EVERY network all month long

Strippers getting a TRIPLE tip

:bowtie:

For us folks that live in parts of the world that it actually snows.......

It's time to end the old 'Christmas just isn't the same without snow on the ground' mentality

I'm sure the fine folks of Bethlehem ventured on bravely without it, that day in August, 2000 something years ago when baby Jeebus born.
Yeah it was in the 50s in Detroit yesterday, I didn't hear anyone complaining.

I say double down

2 Elves on a shelf

EVERYONE wears an ugly Christmas sweater

A Christmas Story on EVERY network all month long

Stripers getting a TRIPLE tip

:bowtie:
It's about time those people putting the stripes down the middle of the roads get some extra cash during the holidays!

My biggest gripe is that we need updated christmas songs. Nobody rides one horse open sleighs anymore. nobody's out there decking any halls with anything let alone boughs of holly. WTF do half these songs mean?

Also, "Merry Christmas" should be changed to "Happy Christmas". Nobody uses the word merry anymore. It's a dumb word.

Staying home on Christmas Eve is a tradition I will not be partaking in next year. My son is like the Tasmanian Devil all day due to excitement.

My biggest gripe is that we need updated christmas songs. Nobody rides one horse open sleighs anymore. nobody's out there decking any halls with anything let alone boughs of holly. WTF do half these songs mean?

Also, "Merry Christmas" should be changed to "Happy Christmas". Nobody uses the word merry anymore. It's a dumb word.
You are a strange little man.

"Dashing through the parking lot looking for one F'in open space" and "Corporate execs gripping your balls with promises of folly" do not have the same ring to them.

You are a strange little man.
who are you calling little?

elf on the shelf should be #1 and it isn't close
as a parent of a two and four year old I strongly disagree. That thing is like a third parent.
Good to see your training your kids to live in a police state. :thumbup:
We've bern training our kids for yeas to enjoy the welfare state. Santa? Birthdays? Easter Bunny? Basically, here is free #### just because of the date on the calendar.

My daughter agrees with you and says Happy Christmas.

What are you, a Limey? Yanks say Merry Christmas.

Gift cards are great still for people you don't know well or don't see often but need to get a gift. When it's someone close to you either buy an actual gift or don't get anything.
I personally ASK for gift Cards for the Movie Theater.. Just received $40 worth 9 days ago for my birthday and hoping for more today :popcorn:

Midnight Mass. I'm not so pressed that I have to be at church the very first second of Christmas Day. How about I get to sleep early, sleep in a bit on my day off, and then hit the late mass if I feel like it.

Our family White Elephant gift exchange is much more fun than the regular gift exchange. :shrug:
Same here. Last year I got dog s**t in a jar with a stick through it.
We have a twist on the White Elephant..

We buy cheaper ( less then $5) gifts, put them in Gift bags.. Usually end up with about 20 or so...

Then, after dinner and opening gifts, we sit around and roll two dice..

If you get doubles you get to choose one of the unknown gifts in the middle..

Once all gifts have been taken, we set a timer for 5 minutes and start roiling again...

if you roll doubles you get to "steal" one of the bags from someone else. When the Timer goes off time to open and see what crap you got. :)

Great way to end Christmas eve.. :thumbup:

Midnight Mass. I'm not so pressed that I have to be at church the very first second of Christmas Day. How about I get to sleep early, sleep in a bit on my day off, and then hit the late mass if I feel like it.
Well done, Jesus hates you.

Well done, Jesus hates you.
Guy gives up his life for him and he can't spare a few moments of his slumber.
Seriously, guy probably stays up well past midnight to celebrate the end of the year, can't be bothered to stay up late for the annual Jesus Birthday Bash? Maybe if church played college footbal and served Manhattans, but all they have is an old lady playing organ and a one sip limit on the wine.

White Elephant is stupid (who wants trash?), but I'm a big fan of the Yankee Swap.
We do it where you start with something and everyone sits in a circle and rolls two dice. If you get a 7,you get to swap with anyone else. One good gift, the rest crap (sometimes literally.) We set a time for 15 minutes or so that no one can see. Whatever you have when the timer goes off is what you end up with. Whoever gets the good gift has to bring the good one next year.

Our family White Elephant gift exchange is much more fun than the regular gift exchange. :shrug:
We have a twist on the White Elephant..

We buy cheaper ( less then $5) gifts, put them in Gift bags.. Usually end up with about 20 or so...

Once all gifts have been taken, we set a timer for 5 minutes and start roiling again...

if you roll doubles you get to "steal" one of the bags from someone else. When the Timer goes off time to open and see what crap you got. :)

This is something I can really get behind. I tried to have some fun with it last year and buy my dad some stupid/funny gifts but I think it was lost on him. So this year, everyone gets gift cards and wine. The hell with it.

We have a twist on the White Elephant..We buy cheaper ( less then $5) gifts, put them in Gift bags.. Usually end up with about 20 or so...

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread