What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2015 San Diego Chargers - Offseason News, Notes, & Analysis*** (1 Viewer)

I was non-specific. I meant I doubt he will play for a *much* lower cap number. He may not make $13M, but I doubt he will play for $5M, for example.
It's tough to say.

I think both Peterson and Johnson end up playing for much, much less than people expect. Both will play for closer to $5mil than their previous inflated salary. Terrible year to be a RB or WR looking for $, especially if you are a veteran hoping to go to a winning team. If you are a young guy like Randall Cobb or DeMarco Murray and the salary can be spread out over several years you can get a big deal but it's no secret these vets only have a couple of years left.

The teams that have plenty of $ to spend aren't likely landing spots for either, and both teams look very compelled to part ways.

I was non-specific. I meant I doubt he will play for a *much* lower cap number. He may not make $13M, but I doubt he will play for $5M, for example.
Peterson isn't getting much more than that. The highest RB contract since 2012 was Charles' extension last year that worked out to 4 years/$30M with $8.3M guaranteed. What he'll probably get is something in the $7M range.

Peterson isn't getting much more than that. The highest RB contract since 2012 was Charles' extension last year that worked out to 4 years/$30M with $8.3M guaranteed. What he'll probably get is something in the $7M range.
OK, then I will restate my position. I do not think the Chargers should even consider obtaining/signing Peterson to play 2015 for $7M, or anything close to it. They already have about $7.1M of the 2015 cap dedicated to RB for Woodhead, Brown, and Oliver. They obviously have to acquire another RB, but I'd hope for quite a bit less than $14M of the 2015 cap dedicated to that position.

They could cut Brown and reduce that current $7.1M cap number, but that would only save about $2M, and would require acquiring a second RB. Plus, the staff seems to be enamored with Brown, and he is a Telesco signing, so my guess is they will keep him.

SAN DIEGO – In an appearance Thursday on the NFL Network, pending unrestricted free agentBrandon Flowers said he’s in discussions with the San Diego Chargers and wants to remain with his current team.

“We’re in negotiations right now, and hopefully we can get something done,” Flowers said. “But free agency is right around the corner. We’ll see how that all plays out. Business is business, but I would love to stay in San Diego.”

Asked if it’s stressful or enjoyable wondering if he will test the free-agent market or return to San Diego, Flowers had this to say.

“To me it’s very enjoyable because if I stay in San Diego, it’s a place I loved stepping in from Day 1,” he said. “It’s a nice place to live, and with a quarterback like Philip Rivers, you always have a chance. And if I’m not able to go back, I’m going to the free agency market.”

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco basically echoed Flowers’ comments in a recent radio interview.

“We’ve been in communication with his agent and with Brandon,” Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told XTRA 1360 Fox Sports radio last week. “And we’ll see where it goes with them.”

The Chargers need to find a way to keep Flowers in the fold. The 29-year-old will certainly attract interest on the open market, with teams such as the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets in need of cornerback help.

Saturday is the beginning of a three-day window for pending unrestricted free agents to enter contract negotiations with other teams. At that point, Flowers can establish his value on the open market and the Chargers can figure out if they want to match

SAN DIEGO – In an appearance Thursday on the NFL Network, pending unrestricted free agentBrandon Flowers said he’s in discussions with the San Diego Chargers and wants to remain with his current team.

“We’re in negotiations right now, and hopefully we can get something done,” Flowers said. “But free agency is right around the corner. We’ll see how that all plays out. Business is business, but I would love to stay in San Diego.”

Asked if it’s stressful or enjoyable wondering if he will test the free-agent market or return to San Diego, Flowers had this to say.

“To me it’s very enjoyable because if I stay in San Diego, it’s a place I loved stepping in from Day 1,” he said. “It’s a nice place to live, and with a quarterback like Philip Rivers, you always have a chance. And if I’m not able to go back, I’m going to the free agency market.”

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco basically echoed Flowers’ comments in a recent radio interview.

“We’ve been in communication with his agent and with Brandon,” Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told XTRA 1360 Fox Sports radio last week. “And we’ll see where it goes with them.”

The Chargers need to find a way to keep Flowers in the fold. The 29-year-old will certainly attract interest on the open market, with teams such as the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets in need of cornerback help.

Saturday is the beginning of a three-day window for pending unrestricted free agents to enter contract negotiations with other teams. At that point, Flowers can establish his value on the open market and the Chargers can figure out if they want to match

PLLLLEEEEEEEEASEEEE get him signed.

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see them make a play for Suh. He's a bad man, and even if he isn't a natural fit for the 3-4, he'd be worth making adjustments for.

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see them make a play for Suh. He's a bad man, and even if he isn't a natural fit for the 3-4, he'd be worth making adjustments for.
I would like a NT, but there are too many teams with a TON of $ interested.

For that matter, I'm not even sure if he's the type of guy that doesn't shut the motor off once he gets his big payday. Super talented but if you are going to spend that much money I don't want to have to worry about any character concerns. There's a reason he reached FA, and last year he was motivated and show us all what he can do when motivated. Will he be motivated next year?

For that matter, I'm not even sure if he's the type of guy that doesn't shut the motor off once he gets his big payday. Super talented but if you are going to spend that much money I don't want to have to worry about any character concerns. There's a reason he reached FA, and last year he was motivated and show us all what he can do when motivated. Will he be motivated next year?
The reason is he available is because the lions are in-ept and played kick the can with his cap hit for years, it would of cost them 27 million to franchise tag him, and they simply couldnt do it.

But for the cost of Suh, they can probably sign three quality free agents. IMO that is the better move.

The reason is he available is because the lions are in-ept and played kick the can with his cap hit for years, it would of cost them 27 million to franchise tag him, and they simply couldnt do it.
Suh has payed almost a quarter of a million $ in fines SO FAR in his career and would it really surprise anyone if his next questionable hit drew a suspension? I don't even think he's as dirty as some people think but you know he's being watched more closely than other players based on his history.

That ignores the traffic problems. And the questions whether he's a locker room cancer or not...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/01/report-teammates-said-suh-was-a-problem-in-the-lions-locker-room/

At the end of the day he wants JJ Watt $(which I'm not even sure is a good idea for anyone except a franchise QB in the first place) but he simply isn't JJ Watt. He's one of the best DLman in the league for sure, but he's not JJ Watt.

I think JustWinBaby is being conservative. SD could probably sign a STARTING C, RB, CB, and NT for the ~$17mil that Suh is seeking.

The San Diego Chargers and free-agent wide receiver Jacoby Jones have agreed to a two-year deal, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Ravens cut Jones in February following a difficult season for the former Super Bowl hero. A year earlier, he had re-signed with the team on a four-year, $12 million deal.

Jones, 30, dropped five passes as a receiver and muffed two punts in 2014, and the Ravens decided to avoid paying his $2.5 million salary for the 2015 season by cutting him.

Despite his struggles, Jones was one of two players to rank in the top 10 last season in both kickoff and punt returns. (Cincinnati's Adam Jones was the other.) Jones finished second in the NFL in kickoff returns (30.6-yard average) and returned a kickoff 108 yards for a touchdown at Pittsburgh.

Jones made little impact as a receiver last season, catching his fewest passes (nine) since 2008. He dropped too many passes and quickly lost his job as the No. 3 receiver.

It was only two years ago when Jones helped the Ravens to a Super Bowl title. He caught a 56-yard touchdown pass and scored on an 108-yard kickoff return in the Ravens' 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. Earlier in that title run, he caught a 70-yard touchdown pass with 44 seconds left against the Denver Broncos that helped force overtime in a 38-35 divisional-round victory that sent the Ravens to the AFC Championship Game.
Nice signing

They could cut Brown and reduce that current $7.1M cap number, but that would only save about $2M, and would require acquiring a second RB. Plus, the staff seems to be enamored with Brown, and he is a Telesco signing, so my guess is they will keep him.
Are you sure about those #'s? I think Brown has a $4mil cap numer and they would save $1.9 by cutting him. I would love to bring in a guy like Ridley and draft a guy like David Cobb. Cobb was thought to be a mid round pick but pulled up with a quad injury at the combine that also forced him to miss his pro day. With the depth at RB in this draft it wouldn't surprise me to fall to the 5th or maybe even 6th round. If Brown got pushed off the roster by being outplayed by Ridley/Cobb so be it.

I'm glad SD released Walker today. As I've said before I think he will cost less than a million to replace.

Are you sure about those #'s? I think Brown has a $4mil cap numer and they would save $1.9 by cutting him. I would love to bring in a guy like Ridley and draft a guy like David Cobb. Cobb was thought to be a mid round pick but pulled up with a quad injury at the combine that also forced him to miss his pro day. With the depth at RB in this draft it wouldn't surprise me to fall to the 5th or maybe even 6th round. If Brown got pushed off the roster by being outplayed by Ridley/Cobb so be it.

I'm glad SD released Walker today. As I've said before I think he will cost less than a million to replace.
From spotrac:

Donald Brown RB $3,000,000 $1,083,333 - - - - - ($2,166,667) $4,083,333

Danny Woodhead RB $1,500,000 $1,000,000 - - - - - ($2,000,000) $2,500,000

Branden Oliver RB $510,000 - - - - - - - $510,000

The last figure is 2015 cap hit. The second to last column for Brown and Woodhead is dead money if cut/released this offseason.

Yes, they would save ~$1.9M by cutting Brown. I said that. And I would do that, because I don't want him to ever play another snap for the Chargers. Just as I never thought they should have signed him in the first place. But the current regime signed Brown and has had nothing but praise for him, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Cutting him would leave them with only Woodhead and Oliver, costing $3M, plus $2.2M in dead money for Brown... so $5M for 2 RBs, neither of whom can be trusted to carry the load. They would need 2 more RBs. One of them can be cheap, either via draft or free agency. But one would presumably need to be a veteran signed via free agency.

Not cutting Brown still leaves them likely in need of a veteran RB who can carry the load. So, probably someone in the $3.5M range, give or take, as a floor. That would mean they would end up with $10M-$11M committed to RB next season.

Adding Peterson to the mix at $7M+ would likely mean spending $13M or more at the position in 2015, maybe quite a bit more. I think it would be a bad move. I'd rather spend the extra $3M elsewhere and I'd rather sign a younger veteran RB than Peterson.

ETA: I'd be fine with Ridley, Ingram, or Mathews, just off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping for...

Dan Williams(NT)

Da'Norris Searcy(SS)

Chris Culliver(CB)

Stefen Wisniewski©

Mark Ingram(RB)

Michael Crabtree(WR)

Jabaal Sheard(OLB)

Jake Locker(QB)

Would settle for...

Barry Coefield(NT)

Tyvon Branch(SS)

Perrish Cox(CB)

Brian De La Puenta©

Steven Ridley(RB)

Brian Hartline(WR)

Brandon Graham(OLB)

Mark Sanchez(QB)

Please no worse than...

Ahtyba Rubin(NT)

Louis Delmas(SS)

Walter Thurmond(CB)

Will Montgomery©

Reggie Bush(RB)

Hakeem Nicks(WR)

Trent Cole(OLB)

Ryan Mallett(QB)

(Rotoworld) A source tells U-T San Diego's Michael Gehlken the Chargers will take a run at free agent G Mike Iupati. Analysis: After going through five centers and suffering through terrible guard play in 2014, the Chargers are rightfully looking to upgrade their interior line. Iupati would certainly be an upgrade, though he would be a questionable fit in the Chargers' primarily zone-blocking scheme. Iupati has also been linked with the Redskins.

Hoping for...

Dan Williams(NT)

Da'Norris Searcy(SS)

Chris Culliver(CB)

Stefen Wisniewski©

Mark Ingram(RB)

Michael Crabtree(WR)

Jabaal Sheard(OLB)

Jake Locker(QB)

Would settle for...

Barry Coefield(NT)

Tyvon Branch(SS)

Perrish Cox(CB)

Brian De La Puenta©

Steven Ridley(RB)

Brian Hartline(WR)

Brandon Graham(OLB)

Mark Sanchez(QB)

Please no worse than...

Ahtyba Rubin(NT)

Louis Delmas(SS)

Walter Thurmond(CB)

Will Montgomery©

Reggie Bush(RB)

Hakeem Nicks(WR)

Trent Cole(OLB)

Ryan Mallett(QB)
Do you not list Flowers because you don't want him back? IMO he should be top priority right now.

Surprised you only list the center position for the OL. IMO they need to sign a center but also need to sign a second OL, ideally an OT like Bulaga, but if not then a G like Iupati. On Iupati, it's worth noting that he had negative ratings the past 2 seasons for pass blocking, though he had positive ratings for run blocking. Maybe he didn't mesh with Kaepernick's style of holding the ball too long and would fare better with Rivers.

Surprised you list only NT on the DL. I hope they at least resign DE Mathews in addition to signing a NT/DT.

Why in the world would you want Hartline? The team already has a starting possession WR in Allen. They don't need another one.

I don't think Bush is a good fit at RB. The team already has Woodhead to be its passing down RB, and IMO Bush isn't a good fit in a 1st/2nd down, carry the rushing load role. He is 30 years old and averaged 3.9 ypc last season.

Sounds like chargers are going to be players in some of the big free-agents. :popcorn:
Supposedly, they plan to pursue Suh. That would be quite a blockbuster move, but it's hard for me to see the Chargers being the highest bidder when teams like Oakland and Philly have $50M+ in available cap space.

The San Diego Chargers and free-agent wide receiver Jacoby Jones have agreed to a two-year deal, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Ravens cut Jones in February following a difficult season for the former Super Bowl hero. A year earlier, he had re-signed with the team on a four-year, $12 million deal.

Jones, 30, dropped five passes as a receiver and muffed two punts in 2014, and the Ravens decided to avoid paying his $2.5 million salary for the 2015 season by cutting him.

Despite his struggles, Jones was one of two players to rank in the top 10 last season in both kickoff and punt returns. (Cincinnati's Adam Jones was the other.) Jones finished second in the NFL in kickoff returns (30.6-yard average) and returned a kickoff 108 yards for a touchdown at Pittsburgh.

Jones made little impact as a receiver last season, catching his fewest passes (nine) since 2008. He dropped too many passes and quickly lost his job as the No. 3 receiver.

It was only two years ago when Jones helped the Ravens to a Super Bowl title. He caught a 56-yard touchdown pass and scored on an 108-yard kickoff return in the Ravens' 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. Earlier in that title run, he caught a 70-yard touchdown pass with 44 seconds left against the Denver Broncos that helped force overtime in a 38-35 divisional-round victory that sent the Ravens to the AFC Championship Game.
Nice signing
I thought some more about this, and I don't like this signing.

It seems likely that Jones will handle all punt and kickoff returns, and that will likely improve that area for the Chargers. But exactly how big of an area of need was this for the team?

The Chargers averaged 8.8 yards per punt return last season, which was #16 in the league; they also had 18 fair catches, which was tied for #19 (19th most) in the league, so it wasn't that they were foregoing an inordinate amount of opportunities. Jones averaged 9.2 yards per punt return last season.

The Chargers averaged 22.2 yards per kickoff return last season, which was #22 in the league. But to give a bit of perspective, the #1 team was Baltimore, with Jones, which averaged 28.3 yards per kickoff return. It's just not a significant difference. Jones averaged 30.6 yards per kickoff return last season, which is a bigger gap. But the Chargers have Chris Davis, who averaged 25.1 yards per kickoff return on 19 returns last season.

Meanwhile, in 2013, the Chargers averages were worse in both areas (7.5 yards per punt return, 22.1 yards per kickoff return), but they were #5 in yards. So getting fewer return yards really didn't have much of an effect on their overall success.

Jones does add big play ability, with 9 combined punt and kickoff TD returns in his career.

But is all of that worth $5.5M over 2 years? That seems like a lot of money to dedicate to a special teams player, especially a 31 year old. And winning the "hidden yardage" game, as Telesco likes to call it, can't be done by one player -- will the Chargers be able to block for Jones on returns like the Ravens did?

Meanwhile, Jones has never been a particularly good WR, and was just 9th in targets on the Ravens last season, despite playing all 16 games. He had just 9 receptions. Last season was easily the low point of his career as a WR.

The Ravens signed Jones to a 4 year contract just last offseason and decided to let him go just one year in, probably for the same reasons I am questioning this move.

This probably means not resigning Ajirotutu, as it is hard to see the Chargers keeping two WRs active primarily for special teams. Last year, Ajirotutu made $635K, so this bumps up their investment at this WR slot by about $2M. I would rather have seen that money spent differently.

This means the Chargers currently have Allen, Floyd, Jones, and Inman at WR for next season. Jones shouldn't really get on the field much as a WR, and Inman has limited experience, with just 12 career receptions. As of now, Allen and Floyd would continue to start, with Inman as the #3. They still need a better starter opposite Allen, and it should be someone not limited to a possession WR (e.g., Hartline). That would push Floyd to 3/4, which would also be a good thing.

That said, Floyd's cap hit is pretty high for a 3/4 ($4.7M). Floyd turns 34 in September, so I suppose it is possible they would consider cutting him, which would save about $3.5M on the 2015 cap. But then they would need another WR. Floyd is a well respected veteran, so I assume they will stick with him. I suppose they could extend him for one year at a lower number to lower his 2015 cap number.

Seems like cutting Floyd at that cap hit and signing Torrey Smith to open things up underneath for Allen and Gates would be smart. Torrey Smith is a limited player but the role he plays would fit well with what you guys need, wouldn't it?

Seems like cutting Floyd at that cap hit and signing Torrey Smith to open things up underneath for Allen and Gates would be smart. Torrey Smith is a limited player but the role he plays would fit well with what you guys need, wouldn't it?
I'd love that.

Man he would look good catching a Rivers deep ball

Ideal plan - re-sign flowers, sign Suh, sign Wiz at C (kicks Watt to LG his college position). Then get the best RG or RT available. Fluker moves where needed. Allows Telesco to draft OLB, WR, ILB, nickel CB.

The team has as much cap space as they need to make ANY move and they actually have to spend a significant amount this season per nfl rules to satisfy the 3 year salary cap spending limits (we've had a ton of dead money the past two years which is necessitating this).

Iupati and Suh would be a wet dream of epic proportions.

Torrey Smith seems like such a better version of Malcolm Floyd I cant believe I didnt think of before

Gotta love what TT is doing. Such a nice change of culture around here with our 1 year free-agent prove it deals. We should have no problem in the future landing these guys. TT is basically saying come on down, work with us for a year, and if its a good fit for both of us we WILL give you the deal that you're worth.

Do you not list Flowers because you don't want him back? IMO he should be top priority right now.

Surprised you only list the center position for the OL. IMO they need to sign a center but also need to sign a second OL, ideally an OT like Bulaga, but if not then a G like Iupati. On Iupati, it's worth noting that he had negative ratings the past 2 seasons for pass blocking, though he had positive ratings for run blocking. Maybe he didn't mesh with Kaepernick's style of holding the ball too long and would fare better with Rivers.

Surprised you list only NT on the DL. I hope they at least resign DE Mathews in addition to signing a NT/DT.

Why in the world would you want Hartline? The team already has a starting possession WR in Allen. They don't need another one.

I don't think Bush is a good fit at RB. The team already has Woodhead to be its passing down RB, and IMO Bush isn't a good fit in a 1st/2nd down, carry the rushing load role. He is 30 years old and averaged 3.9 ypc last season.
I appreciate the discussion points. I just thought Flowers would be too much $. I think he clearly has a better proven track record when compared to a guy like Kareem Jackson. Earlier in the year I thought Jackson might be a value CB but he just signed a 4yr/$34mil deal. I just can't imagine Flowers making less than $8mil/season in this market and Culliver/Cox will be younger/cheaper options unless Flowers gives SD a sizable home town discount(which is possible).

I like both Iupati and Bulaga(and Hundson for that matter) but a lot of those teams that have the REAL free agent $ need OL and they are losing FA targets quickly. Bulaga is young, was rated the highest OT FA on the market to start, and with Free/Newton/Dunlap leaving the FA market before it began I think he gets a monster deal. Iupati is the best OL on the market and I think he gets huge $ as well with so many OLman leaving the market. The C market is deep imo and the guys I mentioned I don't think will cost all that much. Even if you go all the way down to Raiola or Shipley I think you need to sign at least one center based on what is available in the draft. I like the Franklin rumors, because he's versatile and can play G or OT but I don't want him at the ~$6mil/season RT's are getting. There are ton of RT/OG types available in the draft.

I would like them to improve at DE but with so many holes to fill and with Liuget's future with the team up in the air it's tough to make DE a priority right now. He'll be with the team for at least one more year so you could draft a guy to compete with Reyes as a starter and groom to take over if Liuget leaves. I think Arik Armstead and Henry Anderson type players in the draft would fit that role nicely, unless you are drafting against Daniel Jeremiah who has Armstead ranked so much higher than the rest of the world. I also just don't see many 3-4 DE's in FA that could make much of a difference. Give Jarvis Jenkins a fresh start maybe? Improving NT would have an IMMEDIATE impact and would make everyone around them so much better. Liuget, Reyes, Teo, and Butler were all such disappointments last year and a quality NT to envelope two blockers helps every one of them.

Hartline is productive and affordable. He works well near the LOS and I think that's important in the McCoy offense. When the SD offense is clicking best is when they get the ball out of Rivers hands quickly and have long, deliberate drives with quick passes that just move the sticks. I disagree with most fans that want SD to invest either a lot of $ or a high draft pick in a pure deep threat unless it's a guy like Andre Johnson that is so much more than just a deep threat. I disagree with those saying Torrey Smith for instance. Most people consider Smith to be on par with Maclin in FA and they will both get WAY overpaid imo no matter where they go. Give me Hartline cheap that fits the offense better, but keep in mind the guy's I'd really like are Johnson for the right price on a short contract or Crabtree on a longer contract.

Bush just has the highest upside and if you are down to the last option at RB you have to draft one to compete with him. Steven Jackson, Darren McFadden, Pierre Thomas, K Moreno, D Williams, B Tate, etc etc are all guys that won't get a chance to start with too many teams and would likely want to end their career on grass to prolong their career. Just a minimum contract and draft a David Cobb, Kenny Hilliard, Matt Jones, Malcolm Brown type late. Woodhead is the only guy in the backfield with a lock on his roster spot and the rest will have more to do with improving the run blocking in front of them on the OL to have any success at all.

Sometimes I wonder if these reports are just smoke screens, either by teams or agents. Suh has said that it's all about the $, which is fine since this will be the biggest contract of his career, but when you are talking about dollar amounts THAT big the tax implication difference between FL and CA are a big deal. If MIA really is willing to give $114mil/$60guaranteed it would take so much $ for SD to beat those #'s it would be mind boggling investing in one player that hasn't been playing in a 3-4 defense while he's been dominating.

Is this all agent talk, or do you think some teams feign interest in players so teams will eat up salary cap space on a player? For instance I thought GB was only willing to go up to $8mil/season on Cobb but ended up going $10mil/season. Does that give SD a better chance of landing BJ Raji than they would have had if GB had signed Cobb to the $8mil deal? Seems like the more buzz around Cobb the better chance GB spends more than they want to retain Cobb or take him off the market so OAK can't acquire him because he doesn't hit the open market in the first place.

Sometimes I wonder if these reports are just smoke screens, either by teams or agents. Suh has said that it's all about the $, which is fine since this will be the biggest contract of his career, but when you are talking about dollar amounts THAT big the tax implication difference between FL and CA are a big deal. If MIA really is willing to give $114mil/$60guaranteed it would take so much $ for SD to beat those #'s it would be mind boggling investing in one player that hasn't been playing in a 3-4 defense while he's been dominating.

Is this all agent talk, or do you think some teams feign interest in players so teams will eat up salary cap space on a player? For instance I thought GB was only willing to go up to $8mil/season on Cobb but ended up going $10mil/season. Does that give SD a better chance of landing BJ Raji than they would have had if GB had signed Cobb to the $8mil deal? Seems like the more buzz around Cobb the better chance GB spends more than they want to retain Cobb or take him off the market so OAK can't acquire him because he doesn't hit the open market in the first place.
Probably all of the above.

Gotta love what TT is doing. Such a nice change of culture around here with our 1 year free-agent prove it deals. We should have no problem in the future landing these guys. TT is basically saying come on down, work with us for a year, and if its a good fit for both of us we WILL give you the deal that you're worth.
what are you referring to ? The Flowers deal? is that done for this year?

Probably all of the above.
Another one is all the Frank Gore talk. I thought he might be a good, cheap, one year starter for SD in a soft RB market but when I started reading people talk about a ~3yr/$12mil deal in a soft RB market I think it's crazy even if this wasn't a deep draft at RB.

what are you referring to ? The Flowers deal? is that done for this year?
Sounds like it's all but signed. I'm guessing it gets finalized tonight or tomorrow morning.

I revised my post on the Jones signing. I don't like it.
Well, I didn't comment because the contract is worth "up to $5.5mil".... and I have no idea what that means.

If it means he's productive as both a returner and gets #3 WR type numbers(and he's been that before) I'm all for it. If it just means he stays healthy and is active each week it's awful. Still trying to figure out what it means. Why doesn't the NFL just announce the contract details when the contract is announced? Is it to stroke the ego of the agent/player to make it sound better than it really is?

And it's done. Flowers signed a 4 year deal.

4 years /$36 million.

Well, I didn't comment because the contract is worth "up to $5.5mil".... and I have no idea what that means.

If it means he's productive as both a returner and gets #3 WR type numbers(and he's been that before) I'm all for it. If it just means he stays healthy and is active each week it's awful. Still trying to figure out what it means. Why doesn't the NFL just announce the contract details when the contract is announced? Is it to stroke the ego of the agent/player to make it sound better than it really is?
PFF has given Jones a negative overall WR grade in 4 of the past 5 seasons, with 2012 being the only exception. Last year, they show him with 5 drops on just 17 targets. :X

PFF has given Jones a negative overall WR grade in 4 of the past 5 seasons, with 2012 being the only exception. Last year, they show him with 5 drops on just 17 targets. :X
its a special teams move

its a special teams move
It's not worth $5.5M over 2 years to add a few yards per return. Does Jones even play on punt and kickoff cover teams like Ajirotutu did? :thumbdown:

its a special teams move
It's not worth $5.5M over 2 years to add a few yards per return. Does Jones even play on punt and kickoff cover teams like Ajirotutu did? :thumbdown:
better than having Keenan Allen back there, dont want him getting killed anymore

Well, I didn't comment because the contract is worth "up to $5.5mil".... and I have no idea what that means.If it means he's productive as both a returner and gets #3 WR type numbers(and he's been that before) I'm all for it. If it just means he stays healthy and is active each week it's awful. Still trying to figure out what it means. Why doesn't the NFL just announce the contract details when the contract is announced? Is it to stroke the ego of the agent/player to make it sound better than it really is?
Wow, I seemed to have it my head he was a 500/3 type guy up until recently but looking back at it that was back in his HOU days. Yeah, I don't really understand that signing at all. I would have thought they would be looking for a slot WR speedster to replace Royal that could have been a kick returner somewhere late in the draft.

I think guys like Jones had their value really curtailed by the kickoff rule that made for many more touchbacks. Torrey Smith fans should keep in mind they are thinking of changing pass interference penalty to a 15yard penalty instead of the spot of the foul. That would curtail his contributions in a similar way.

Telesco is doing work! Flowers signed. Sources are saying a deal w/ Orlando Franklin is unofficially DONE.

Franklin was McCoy's RT in Denver for two seasons before moving inside and excelling. Wonder if McCoy will move him back and put Fluker inside?

Franklin would be a nice score.
Franklin would be very nice. His PFF rankings the past few seasons:

2014: #13 OG (and #5 LG)

2013: #17 OT (and #4 RT)

2012: #12T OT (and #3T RT)

Not only are those good rankings, that also shows useful versatility. Dunlap would stay at LT, but Watt, Fluker, and Franklin can all play multiple positions.

And Franklin doesn't turn 28 until December.

About $7mil/season is a little more than I was hoping to spend on Franklin but I am just so excited they finally seem committed to building an OL in front of Rivers. The 2015 OL is already much better than the 2014 OL. With the flexibility of Franklin it should make drafting another guy in the first three rounds to come in and start pretty easy. Still need a C, but they don't have to break the bank.

It will be interesting to see how the Flowers contract is structured but $9mil seems awfully spendy for a 30y/o CB imo. With the Franklin deal I probably would have rather they just spent a first rounder(Waynes?) on CB and have two young bookends if Culliver/Cox also got paid way too much. We'll see what the contract looks like when Flowers will be 34 and how much potential dead money there is.

The news out of KC is almost as good for SD as the news out of SD.

KC lets one of the best young centers in the game leave town for $9mil/season that has a big impact on every offensive snap so they can afford to go out and sign an often injured WR for $11mil/season when we all know KC/Smith don't use their WR's all that much just in the passing game. Weird.

Houston is also said to be very upset with the franchise after they claim to be too poor to give him the huge extension he could find on the open market but are all too willing to overpay Maclin and were/are supposed to be in the hunt for Revis(?). Bowe is going to be $9mil in dead cap space when they cut him so imagine how much of their cap will be invested in just those two WR's... and they are hoping to get ONE TOUCHDOWN out of their WR's this year. I like Reid but that franchise seems off course into crazy town.

BoltBacker said:
The news out of KC is almost as good for SD as the news out of SD.

KC lets one of the best young centers in the game leave town for $9mil/season that has a big impact on every offensive snap so they can afford to go out and sign an often injured WR for $11mil/season when we all know KC/Smith don't use their WR's all that much just in the passing game. Weird.

Houston is also said to be very upset with the franchise after they claim to be too poor to give him the huge extension he could find on the open market but are all too willing to overpay Maclin and were/are supposed to be in the hunt for Revis(?). Bowe is going to be $9mil in dead cap space when they cut him so imagine how much of their cap will be invested in just those two WR's... and they are hoping to get ONE TOUCHDOWN out of their WR's this year.

I like Reid but that franchise seems off course into crazy town.
Started with two back to back awful deals - signing a lazy Dwayne Bowe to a huge guaranteed deal and giving up two 2nd round picks and $10M a year for a game manager.

Users who are viewing this thread