What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

Todem

Footballguy
Talk about horror movies right here. Thought we can use a thread to exclusively talk about my favorite genre of movies. Sci-Fi Horror is included in this as well.

My top 10 horror films of all time (and I have dozens more I love)

Deleted for Movie Draft

Right now John Wan is without a doubt killing it. Between Saw, Dead Silence, Insidious 1 and 2 (and soon 3 this summer), The Conjuring and Annabelle, he is the best horror director since Carpenter IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the V/H/S series although the last one was kind of lame. My favorite shorts from the series so far have been the one with the succubus and the one with the haunted house from the first one, and the one with the satanic cult compound in the second one.

I love found footage horror in general. I saw Blair With way early on when everyone thought it was based on a real case of kids gone missing in the woods. I like the Paranormal Activity series although the last two were pretty lame.

Also, my parents pretty much forced me to watch the Exorcist when I was 11, and it was pretty traumatizing.

We watched Dead Silence and Sinister over the weekend.

I loved Dead Silence's old school feel. The movie is very creepy and well edited. A good scare indeed.

Sinister was very disturbing and very creepy. Another well made movie and Ethan Hawke was great in this flick.

I highly recommend both films as must viewing for supernatural/haunted house horror fans.

Imo, the winners over the last decade or so are the foreign horror movies. I think they push the envelope more: see Martyrs, Frontiers, etc. They do creepy/suspense better: see The Orphanage, A Tale of Two Sisters, etc..

:blackdot: Horror is my favorite genre.

Especially Satanic/possession/supernatural types. Gore, monster and scifi do nothing for me.

I like the V/H/S series although the last one was kind of lame. My favorite shorts from the series so far have been the one with the succubus and the one with the haunted house from the first one, and the one with the satanic cult compound in the second one.

I love found footage horror in general. I saw Blair With way early on when everyone thought it was based on a real case of kids gone missing in the woods. I like the Paranormal Activity series although the last two were pretty lame.

Also, my parents pretty much forced me to watch the Exorcist when I was 11, and it was pretty traumatizing.
I just watched the first one last night. I enjoyed it a lot.

Second one is on Netflix as well so I'll give it a go. Sounds like the 3rd one is not super well reviewed.

For those of us "more seasoned" dudes. Netflix has has a 2009 film called House of the Devil that was filmed and acted as if it were made in the 80's. When watching it, I actually had to go to IMDB and make sure I was watching the one from 2009. Pretty scary with a good, slow buildup.

For those of us "more seasoned" dudes. Netflix has has a 2009 film called House of the Devil that was filmed and acted as if it were made in the 80's. When watching it, I actually had to go to IMDB and make sure I was watching the one from 2009. Pretty scary with a good, slow buildup.
need to check it out and see if it is on Amazon Prime. Sounds right up my alley.

:blackdot: Horror is my favorite genre.

Especially Satanic/possession/supernatural types. Gore, monster and scifi do nothing for me.
You must watch Insidious I and II as well as Sinister.

You will love them and have your hair on your neck standing up. Trust me. High end well made horror movies.

So do "Slasher" films rate?

Always surprised that at least the first Friday the 13th doesn't hit the list(s).. for it's time the "twist" on who was doing the killing I thought was well done..

Sure they deluded the films by making so many sequels.. But I even enjoyed Part 2 , and for the 3D aspect added in, part 3 was fun. :shrug:

The Babadook got great ratings and I'm betting most have never even heard of it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/
didn't realize this movie was already out.. ive been waiting to see this flick

if we are doing sci-fi horror gotta throw world war z in there with 28 days later

I like the first person type movies/found footage the most

vhs & grave encounters are must see's

sinister conjuring awesome movies

Annabelle wasn't bad

evil dead

cant forget poltergeist 1&2 3 not so much

I actually thought mama was a good movie

The Strangers

Wolf Creek

House of a 1000 Corpses

entertaining but not scary horror movies

you're next | Purge 2 | The Descent | Saw |Hostel | Wrong Turn | Hills have Eyes| Quarantine

Movies I want to see but cannot find online. [Rec] Babbadookie

watching this tonight thanks

Watched Ouija with the family over the weekend. Awful. Dreadful. Terrible. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE! It is a lame pile of poop with awful internal logic, bad acting and no redeeming value whatsoever. It's not even so bad it's funny it's just...bad.

Watched Ouija with the family over the weekend. Awful. Dreadful. Terrible. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE! It is a lame pile of poop with awful internal logic, bad acting and no redeeming value whatsoever. It's not even so bad it's funny it's just...bad.
pg-13 right? I usually skip those

Yes, it is pg-13. That's about the level my wife and 12 year old son can handle right now so I try and make do but this movie just stinks. Another one that is pg-13 but is pretty decent is Mama. It's not perfect but it does have some genuine creeps and scares and it at least tries to treat it's audience like they have a brain. It's also got Jessica Chastain and Jaime Lannister so the acting is top shelf as well.

Yes, it is pg-13. That's about the level my wife and 12 year old son can handle right now so I try and make do but this movie just stinks. Another one that is pg-13 but is pretty decent is Mama. It's not perfect but it does have some genuine creeps and scares and it at least tries to treat it's audience like they have a brain. It's also got Jessica Chastain and Jaime Lannister so the acting is top shelf as well.
I didnt realize mama was pg-13. I do agree that is a movie worth watching. very few pg-13 can make the list

Always surprised that at least the first Friday the 13th doesn't hit the list(s).. for it's time the "twist" on who was doing the killing I thought was well done..

Sure they deluded the films by making so many sequels.. But I even enjoyed Part 2 , and for the 3D aspect added in, part 3 was fun. :shrug:
I like great slasher flicks too.

Halloween is the granddaddy of them all of course. I like Friday 1, 2,3 and 4 then it went really off the rails. 3 and 4 was great campy fun and watching George McFly trying to dance was a romp. I could not stop laughing the first time I saw that. I have great teen age memories making out with girls who I took to those movies in the mid 80's (3 and 4).

Scream is a great series IMO.

The original Prom Night is a cult classic. So yeah slasher flicks are no doubt in play here.

Anyone remember that gratuitous chainsaw flick called Pieces? Another cult classic.

Silent Night Deadly Night.

As far as the newer horror there is a lot of quality if you look hard enough. I need to brush up on my foreign (in particular Japanese horror).

The Descent IMO was fantastic

House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects was very brutal and good.

The Crazies

The Strangers

Wolf Creek

Purge 1 and 2 - I liked them both as they were completely different. Which is great. I look forward to seeing where they take this franchise.

The Ring is a classic.

Lot's of greatness by John Wan as I have mentioned in my OP.

Horror is in a great groove right now after going through a really long and tired period of torture films. The Saw series was great. But it spawned so many knock off crap fest films.

I also really enjoy Cabin Fever and Wrong Turn.

The 1980 version of The Fog, not the 2005, is my favorite. Christine is another not mentioned that is chilling and the visuals are stunning especially for such an old flick.

The 1980 version of The Fog, not the 2005, is my favorite. Christine is another not mentioned that is chilling and the visuals are stunning especially for such an old flick.
:goodposting:

Watch that one and tell me you don't treat your car a tad more nicer afterwards ;)

I am a John Carpenter junkie.

Halloween

The Thing

Escape From New York

The Fog

Christine

In The Mouth Of Madness

Prince Of Darkness

Escape From LA

They Live

Big Trouble In Little China

He has others...but those are my fav's.

:goodposting:

Watch that one and tell me you don't treat your car a tad more nicer afterwards ;)
That car just naturally looks evil, without the graphics in the movie. While not a horror flick per se Maximum Overdrive is another from that time that is scary: basically the machines take over the world type of thought. With the rate technology is going, it sure seems like we will be answering to them some day!

Halloween 1 is the best. 2 is second and the rest I can do without. Sometimes imo it's better to stop at 1 or max 2 than to keep going on. The Shining is definitely in my top 10 somewhere. Jack Nicholsen absolutely killed the part! "Here's Johnny!!!"

I'm personally pretty tired of them.

The big problem I now have with them is they take me out of my suspension of disbelief - why are they recording this? I get some of them (the first two Paranormal Activity movies handled this well, and 3 wasn't terrible with it either... I couldn't get through more then 15 minutes of 4 before turning it off - I just couldn't buy the constant recording of everything.)

I am a John Carpenter junkie.

Halloween

The Thing

Escape From New York

The Fog

Christine

In The Mouth Of Madness

Prince Of Darkness

Escape From LA

They Live

Big Trouble In Little China

He has others...but those are my fav's.
fun movie, but wow, you could almost imagine someone coming in and saying "errr, john, we know you have another half hour of story planned, but we have about $10 left in the budget - wrap this up quick, will you?"

Halloween 1 is the best. 2 is second and the rest I can do without. Sometimes imo it's better to stop at 1 or max 2 than to keep going on. The Shining is definitely in my top 10 somewhere. Jack Nicholsen absolutely killed the part! "Here's Johnny!!!"
Halloween

Halloween II

Halloween 4

Rob Zombies Halloween

Halloween (H20) 20 years Later

Those are my favorite in the series in order. Halloween 5 and 6 were throwaway's in the series (I actually am going to watch the famed Producers cut of 6 this week as I bought the blue ray boxed set which contains this version which is said to be vastly better). Halloween 8 was ridiculous with Busta Rhymes LOL. Horrible way to end the series. Zombie's remake was very brutal and had a great backstory on a young and troubled Michael Myers. He actually does a great job of making you feel bad for Michael and you can see his internal struggle. A well made remake. His second one was a complete and utter train wreck.

I'm personally pretty tired of them.

The big problem I now have with them is they take me out of my suspension of disbelief - why are they recording this? I get some of them (the first two Paranormal Activity movies handled this well, and 3 wasn't terrible with it either... I couldn't get through more then 15 minutes of 4 before turning it off - I just couldn't buy the constant recording of everything.)
In the world of cell phones, go pro's, and youtubers, I think it's becoming more and more believable.

Seen this... solid throwback by West. Not a classic by any stretch but worth a watch as it does a solid job of a slow tension build. Goes a LITTLE off the rails at point or two.... but not bad at all.

[icon] said:
Seen this... solid throwback by West. Not a classic by any stretch but worth a watch as it does a solid job of a slow tension build. Goes a LITTLE off the rails at point or two.... but not bad at all.
I got a kick out of the 80's setting. When she was dancing around with the walkman and waiting for the rotary phone to turn I got all nostalgic.

if i am thinking right, Ty West directed this and The Innkeepers. Both i really liked.

if i am thinking right, Ty West directed this and The Innkeepers. Both i really liked.
Yes to Ty West directing.

I like great slasher flicks too.Halloween is the granddaddy of them all of course. I like Friday 1, 2,3 and 4 then it went really off the rails. 3 and 4 was great campy fun and watching George McFly trying to dance was a romp. I could not stop laughing the first time I saw that. I have great teen age memories making out with girls who I took to those movies in the mid 80's (3 and 4).

Scream is a great series IMO.

The original Prom Night is a cult classic. So yeah slasher flicks are no doubt in play here.

Anyone remember that gratuitous chainsaw flick called Pieces? Another cult classic.

Silent Night Deadly Night.
IMO, if anybody is a fan of slashers and hasnt seen it, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a must watch. One of my favorite horror movies of the last decade or so.

As far as newer ones go, I had a blast with the Hatchet series.

Yes to Ty West directing.
Thought so Innkeepers has the same old school vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread