What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

I like the V/H/S series although the last one was kind of lame. My favorite shorts from the series so far have been the one with the succubus and the one with the haunted house from the first one, and the one with the satanic cult compound in the second one.

I love found footage horror in general. I saw Blair With way early on when everyone thought it was based on a real case of kids gone missing in the woods. I like the Paranormal Activity series although the last two were pretty lame.

Also, my parents pretty much forced me to watch the Exorcist when I was 11, and it was pretty traumatizing.
I'm personally pretty tired of them.

The big problem I now have with them is they take me out of my suspension of disbelief - why are they recording this? I get some of them (the first two Paranormal Activity movies handled this well, and 3 wasn't terrible with it either... I couldn't get through more then 15 minutes of 4 before turning it off - I just couldn't buy the constant recording of everything.)
I am tiring of them as well, too many of them now.

However, i remember thinking The Bay was really well done. I solves so of your issues by showing cell phone footage, police car camera, building security cameras, etc. Barry Levinson directed.

In the genre, i also remember liking Grave Encounters, but the idea of deserted insane asylums scare me in general.

:blackdot: Horror is my favorite genre.

Especially Satanic/possession/supernatural types. Gore, monster and scifi do nothing for me.
You must watch Insidious I and II as well as Sinister.

You will love them and have your hair on your neck standing up. Trust me. High end well made horror movies.
Loved Sinister. I saw it alone at night. I was freaked out.

I wasn't as big on the Insidious movies. I felt they tried too hard to be clever with the time-travel/dimension elements. Both were sufficiently scary, but I got a little lost on them discovering the power to travel between worlds.

I liked The Awakening as well. I had never heard about it before watching on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised.

Same with The Uninvited. It's more of a suspense thriller than horror, but there are lots of tense moments.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet that deserves attention is Them. It's in French but it is definitely worth the watch. Made in 2006, it clearly has inspired some of the other ones named on here.

Psycho, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby (for that time period...), The Amityville Horror, The Blue Elephant, The Birds..... I'm on the fence with the Mist. The book was much better. The Others had a nice twist and was very creepy.

A couple remakes that I really liked is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Amityville Horror. I'm a fan of anything with Jessica Biel in it! And Ryan Reynolds does a helluva job playing a creepy, posessed psycho! Even the Evil Dead remake was good. I like suspenseful horror as well as gore. The Evil Dead remake wasn't short on the gore dept.

Really liked Insidious. 13 Ghosts is a good suspenseful flick with fair amounts of gore. The Others was a good creepy suspenseful flick about the supernatural. What Lies Beneath was a spooky suspense flick. Ghost Ship is one of my faves for gore levels (love the beginning with the cable incident). High Tension is one that isn't mentioned often but is one of the most disturbing flicks I've seen.

Gore: Evil Dead (remake), Th13teen Ghosts, Ghost Ship, High Tension, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake)

Suspense: Amityville Horror (remake...though it does have some bloody scenes), The Others, What Lies Beneath, Insidious, High Tension (I put High Tension and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake both in this category since they cover both bases)

So I've been waiting to see [rec] for a while based on reviews. Just realized rec and quarantine are the same exact movie minus the language. Gay

I like the V/H/S series although the last one was kind of lame. My favorite shorts from the series so far have been the one with the succubus and the one with the haunted house from the first one, and the one with the satanic cult compound in the second one.

I love found footage horror in general. I saw Blair With way early on when everyone thought it was based on a real case of kids gone missing in the woods. I like the Paranormal Activity series although the last two were pretty lame.

Also, my parents pretty much forced me to watch the Exorcist when I was 11, and it was pretty traumatizing.

The big problem I now have with them is they take me out of my suspension of disbelief - why are they recording this? I get some of them (the first two Paranormal Activity movies handled this well, and 3 wasn't terrible with it either... I couldn't get through more then 15 minutes of 4 before turning it off - I just couldn't buy the constant recording of everything.)
I am tiring of them as well, too many of them now. However, i remember thinking The Bay was really well done. I solves so of your issues by showing cell phone footage, police car camera, building security cameras, etc. Barry Levinson directed.

In the genre, i also remember liking Grave Encounters, but the idea of deserted insane asylums scare me in general.
If you like insane asylum movies, check out Session 9. You'll lose your ####.

I am tiring of them as well, too many of them now.However, i remember thinking The Bay was really well done. I solves so of your issues by showing cell phone footage, police car camera, building security cameras, etc. Barry Levinson directed.

I love insane asylum movies. Have to check it out. Saw Fragile on some premium channel not long ago. It was pretty good imo.

I am tiring of them as well, too many of them now. However, i remember thinking The Bay was really well done. I solves so of your issues by showing cell phone footage, police car camera, building security cameras, etc. Barry Levinson directed.

I watched this at my house with some friends on Netflix based on the FFA's recommendation, we were pretty bored and I was embarrassed for suggesting it. :shrug:

:blackdot: Horror is my favorite genre.

Especially Satanic/possession/supernatural types. Gore, monster and scifi do nothing for me.
You must watch Insidious I and II as well as Sinister.

You will love them and have your hair on your neck standing up. Trust me. High end well made horror movies.
First of all I just wanna thank whoever started this thread. It more than derserves its own thread, because a certain breed of people are drawn to this genre while most others are completely repulsed by it. I LOVE me some horror. I don't even mind the super gory as long as it's original and somehow works with the plot.

I don't have a particular favorite type of horror, though I do love the zombies.

Anyway, I concur with Insidiuous. It is an absolute must see for anyone who enjoys horror/creepy. I did not like the 2nd one as much, probably just because of the "sequel factor", but it was also very good.

Pretty sweet, I think I have seen the vast majority of the movies mentioned in this thread so far.

I have actually been trying to find more of the found footbage stuff. A lot of it is terrible but it's awesome when you come across a good one like VHS (I didn't know there was a 3rd one, will have to check that out, even if it sucks so be it). Some people mentioned The Bay and Last Exorcism, also good I thought. Paranormal activity was good, though the last few are not. The Rec and Quarantine movies are great. So is Grave Encounters.

A couple found footage flicks I might recommend (mostly for those of you who have seen a ton of horror already):

June 9- this is sort of based on the legend of "hell town", which is funny because I live like 40 minutes from here, and remember people talking about it.

The Last Broadcast- made right around the same time as Blair Witch. I think it's pretty good.

The Theater Bizarre- I don't remember a ton about this one other than I thought it was decent. Kind of like VHS with short stories.

Alien Abduction- Not gonna be a classic or anything, but well worth a watch IMO

I probably have more but can't access my netflix account here form work at the moment.

Picked up As Above So Below from Red Box for tonight. Been wanting to see it for a while.

Insidious 2 is on Netflix but I haven't seen the first one yet (and it's not on there). Any reason to watch them in order?

Picked up As Above So Below from Red Box for tonight. Been wanting to see it for a while.

Insidious 2 is on Netflix but I haven't seen the first one yet (and it's not on there). Any reason to watch them in order?
I would strongly recommend watching Insidious 1 first.

As Above So Below was decent. It's a one time watch kinda movie though.

So we watched The Producers cut of Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers.

Talk about how a different vision of a film plus a superior soundtrack can turn around a movie for the better. It was actually night and day the difference between the theatrical version and this one.

1. Gore was cut down a ton, which was actually a good thing

2. The crappy 90's soundtrack and guitar driven licks of the Halloween theme was totally scrapped and the classic soundtrack of the first 2 films was in this one. It made a huge difference in mood and set-up. Incredible how much better it was.

3. The ending was completely different. And made sense. I still don't like the whole Thorn cult angle (and Pleasence hated it as well) but at least you understood what it was about. Things were explained far better.

It actually catapulted this one up the ladder in the cannon of the this beloved series. I put it firmly ahead of H2O now. The Producers cut was like seeing a different movie. It was that stark.

WTF were they thinking releasing the other version? Terrible decision in hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would strongly recommend watching Insidious 1 first.

As Above So Below was decent. It's a one time watch kinda movie though.
Yes Insidious is a must before seeing the second one. You will be lost if you don't.

Highly recommended. Fantastic movies in the genre. I can't wait for Insidious 3 this year.

Speaking of cult classic horror. Phantasm V is coming out this year as well. It will be the final film in the series.

I rarely watch horror movies. The Omen was at the lower end of the scary scale for me, and The Ring at the higher end.

Has anyone seen the movie version of The Stand? I've read the book and really liked it.
It was a mini-series on tv back in the 90s. I thought it was pretty good. A motion picture adaptation that consist of four stand alone movies is supposed to be made in the near future. Unless things have changed, Matthew McConaughey is supposed to play Randall Flagg.

simey said:
CurlyNight said:
Has anyone seen the movie version of The Stand? I've read the book and really liked it.
It was a mini-series on tv back in the 90s. I thought it was pretty good. A motion picture adaption that consist of four stand alone movies is supposed to be made in the near future. Unless things have changed, Matthew McConaughey is supposed to play Randall Flagg.
That would be great. Somehow a motion picture is always better than "chopped up" mini series. And MM would be great as Randall Flagg!

simey said:
CurlyNight said:
It was a mini-series on tv back in the 90s. I thought it was pretty good. A motion picture adaption that consist of four stand alone movies is supposed to be made in the near future. Unless things have changed, Matthew McConaughey is supposed to play Randall Flagg.
Wow, had not heard about this. Can't wait!

Also mentioned above: Ti West's House Of The Devil is a very cool movie, and one of my favorites of the past several years.

Someone also mentioned The Theatre Bizzare: I'm a fan of horror anthologies when there's enough good to outweigh the bad. This would be one of those and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Speaking of anthologies, Trick R Treat is one of the best!

I own Trick R Treat. It is a good flick. Very old school and I loved how all the stories intertwined.

I rarely watch horror movies. The Omen was at the lower end of the scary scale for me, and The Ring at the higher end.
I thought the first 10 minutes of The Ring was great (closet scene). The the rest of the movie was just a detective whodunit suspense thriller, I wasn't scared one bit. :mellow:

30 Days of Night was a pretty awesome vampire yarn. Quite scary for younger kids. Those vampires were savages.

VA703 said:
I love the remakes. I see so many people say "the original is just so much better, nostalgia, blah blah blah".......do ya like the movie or not?

I am so glad I don't think about the original the entire time I see a remake and just enjoy what I am watching instead.

For example, the ROb Zombie remake of Halloween was excellent (2nd one was complete trash, but whatever). So it's not a classic like the originals, so what?? It never could be. I don't need it to be a classic to be excellent.

VA703 said:
I love the remakes. I see so many people say "the original is just so much better, nostalgia, blah blah blah".......do ya like the movie or not?

I am so glad I don't think about the original the entire time I see a remake and just enjoy what I am watching instead.

For example, the ROb Zombie remake of Halloween was excellent (2nd one was complete trash, but whatever). So it's not a classic like the originals, so what?? It never could be. I don't need it to be a classic to be excellent.
I love remakes when they are really good.

Halloween is a perfect example.

However seeing the remakes of:

The Fog

Nightmare On Elm Street

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Friday The 13th

Absolute money grab crapfests.

I don't mind remakes when they are truly trying to be great films in of themselves and not just going through the motions as an obvious cash grab. More often than not the remakes have been inferior. While some are good they don't hold up against the original. For example The Omen. It was decent...but not nearly as good as the original.

Some other remakes that were better than the originals

The Thing

I Spit On Your Grave

Last House On The Left

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Bram Stokers Dracula (the original Bella Lugosi is unwatchable today). I even liked Frank Langella's Dracula from 1979.

VA703 said:

I love remakes when they are really good.

Halloween is a perfect example.

However seeing the remakes of:

The Fog

Nightmare On Elm Street

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Friday The 13th

Absolute money grab crapfests.

I don't mind remakes when they are truly trying to be great films in of themselves and not just going through the motions as an obvious cash grab. More often than not the remakes have been inferior. While some are good they don't hold up against the original. For example The Omen. It was decent...but not nearly as good as the original.

Some other remakes that were better than the originals

The Thing

I Spit On Your Grave

Last House On The Left

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Bram Stokers Dracula (the original Bella Lugosi is unwatchable today). I even liked Frank Langella's Dracula from 1979.
I agree with a pretty huge percentage of this.

Another movie I will throw out for the crowd is Monsters Brawl. This movie is horrendously terrible, but I like the idea and if it was actually done right with a budget and somewhat of a script and plot, could be a pretty awesome. Mythical monsters fighting to the death in a ring?? nice.

Users who are viewing this thread