Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Todem

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread.

The Curse of Buckout Road

Had this one sitting around for a while so I figured I’d watch it. Danny Glover got off easy in the movie. Meh. 2.5/5

The Lodgers

Irish gothic horror film. Very slow moving, but kind of interesting. I’ve seen a lot worse horror movies than this. 3.5/5

Finally got around to seeing Midsommar and meh.  Same response I had to Hereditary.  Maybe it’s me, but that’s 2 films from this director that just didn’t appeal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Finally got around to seeing Midsommar and meh.  Same response I had to Hereditary.  Maybe it’s me, but that’s 2 films from this director that just didn’t appeal.

I thought they were both pretty dumb. 

2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I think 1 is about as good of a horror movie as i have seen recently, and one was overhyped.  

4 hours ago, That one guy said:

4 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Tough audience. Thought Hereditary was great...

51 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Tough audience. Thought Hereditary was great...

:goodposting:

I cant think of many horror movies I'd rank over it that came out in the last 10 years.   That movie messed me up 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, prosopis said:

Was kind of disappointed with Mandy.

Just saw it. It’s not so good (even with a modified scale for Nicolas Cage). 

Finally watched Midsommar last night.

Yeah.....I could not stop watching. It was quite intense. Just a crazy movie. Very slow burn, and ton’s of foreshadowing. The acting was a little weak IMO. I actually did not like a lot nor cared for most of the characters. In fact it was hard to root for any of them except Dani. 

Anyway. It is not an easy movie to watch. But I think if you really like phycological horror....this is a feast in that regard. It really is thought provoking. Not a masterpiece. I would give it a 2.5 to 3 star rating out of 4. I will watch it one more time to catch everything I missed the first time around. But it was a really wild, weird movie to say the least.

Edited by Todem

4 minutes ago, Todem said:

Finally watched Midsommar last night.

Yeah.....I could not stop watching. It was quite intense. Just a crazy movie. Very slow burn, and ton’s of foreshadowing. The acting was a little weak IMO. I actually did not like a lot nor cared for most of the characters. In fact it was hard to root for any of them except Dani. 

Anyway. It is not an easy movie to watch. But I think if you really like phycological horror....this is a feast in that regard. It really is thought provoking. Not a masterpiece. I would give it a 2.5 to 3 star rating out of 4. I will watch it one more time to catch everything I missed the first time around. But it was a really wild, weird movie to say the least.

There is a lot of foreshadowing in the art work at the village- the quilts, walls, etc.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

There is a lot of foreshadowing in the art work at the village- the quilts, walls, etc.  

Just watched Hereditary.

Yeah.....not a fan.

38 minutes ago, Todem said:

Just watched Hereditary.

Yeah.....not a fan.

Weird.  I am the opposite - don't get the love for Midsommar 

• Like 1

Both Ari Aster films are masterpieces.  Some people will poopoo them because people like me hype them up so much, but they are just fantastic films on so many levels.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cockroach said:

Both Ari Aster films are masterpieces.  Some people will poopoo them because people like me hype them up so much, but they are just fantastic films on so many levels.  

I felt Midsommar was more my type of film. It just had so much dread for a film shot almost entirely during the day.

Hereditary was just not as good for me. It was not bad....but I will never watch it again. I much prefer The Conjuring series to this take on the supernatural. 

Just personal preference. 

Edited by Todem

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Just watched Hereditary.

Yeah.....not a fan.

56 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Weird.  I am the opposite - don't get the love for Midsommar 

I support both your stances. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Todem said:

I felt Midsommar was more my type of film. It just had so much dread for a film shot almost entirely during the day.

Hereditary was just not as good for me. It was not bad....but I will never watch it again. I much prefer The Conjuring series to this take on the supernatural. 

Just like in midsommar,  there is a ton of stuff I missed the first time in Hereditary.  Tics, symbols, people in the background, little things that were said, etc.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cockroach said:

Even if I didn't love Midsommar, I will see anything he puts out next.  We need more movies like these and by people like Eggers in the genre.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Neither Aster movie was about the supernatural.  They were films about cults/secret societies.  

I go see the Conjuring movies w my GF, but IMO those are teenie bopper movies.  Ari Aster is on some legit Kubrick stuff... Film making for adults. 

• Like 1

Watched Come to Daddy with Elisha Wood last night.   Not a strict horror, but was listed under it, probably because of some of the gore.   It was a decent movie.  Had a lot in common with one of the Best Picture films from this year.  It was different and I liked it, but not great.  Def worth a watch though IMO.  

3 hours ago, cockroach said:

Neither Aster movie was about the supernatural.  They were films about cults/secret societies.  

I go see the Conjuring movies w my GF, but IMO those are teenie bopper movies.  Ari Aster is on some legit Kubrick stuff... Film making for adults. 

Ok.

So we cannot disagree on how much we like movies now. Look....It was not bad. But is was not OMG amazing. Different strokes for different folks. And The Conjuring is not a teeny bopper movie. Far from it. 

Don’t be so ####### condescending man. The Conjuring is widely considered a very good horror movie.

And while I know exactly what Hereditary is about.....it is a supernatural genre horror movie. Seance’s? Supernatural. Devils? Supernatural. The mom floating to the tree house? Supernatural. Yeah there was cult that worshipped this king of hell.....but it was a supernatural horror movie. 

I also never claimed Midsummar was super natural. And I liked that one much better than Hereditary. 

Kubrick also made much better films. Glad you think Ari is genius. But not everyone does. His movies were ok. 

I can watch The Shining anytime it is on. I will never watch these films again. Art is subjective. There is no fact that these movies are masterpieces. Purely opinion. Glad you loved the movies.

I thought......they were ok. Far more hype than bite.

Edited by Todem

17 hours ago, Todem said:

I think you nailed it... the sense of dread was pretty intense.

The more I think about it the more I like the movie.

• Thanks 1

Watched 3 From Hell on Shudder yesterday afternoon. This is the third and final film of the Firefly family trilogy from director Rob Zombie. I am a big fan of the first two films (House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects).

This movie was just ok. Not one I would probably watch again soon. It was low budget, but that was not the issue. I think the source material really ran it's course and I was surprised he made this film seeing how Otis, Captain Spaulding and Baby went out in a blaze of glory to end The Devils Rejects. The first 35-40 minutes were good. Then the movie was simply a rehash of the Devils Rejects. It did have a decent Mexican revenge angle for the final act. But overall this was no question weak compared to the first two films which to me are modern classics. 

As usual you want to shower after watching a Zombie horror film. Just pure nasty, white trash shenanigans to the extreme LOL. 

On another note does anyone know when the next season of Creepshow is supposed to drop on Shudder? Loved season one.  

Edited by Todem

I’ll Take Your Dead

Interesting film where Sixth Sense meets gangbangers meets dad with daughter in an unfortunate situation. 3.5/5

Edited by Osaurus

Just watched a double feature in the theater:

Sorority Party Massacre 1 & 2

If you haven't seen them, don't bother. 

14 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Just watched a double feature in the theater:

Sorority Party Massacre 1 & 2

If you haven't seen them, don't bother. 

:lol:  At the bolded.   I watched the 1st one last October as part of my attempted marathon and was surprised how bad it was, even grading on an 80s scale.  

Posted (edited)

Investigation 13

It’s pretty bad. It’s half ghost hunting in an abandoned asylum and half graphic novel. 1/5.

Edited by Osaurus

18 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

:lol:  At the bolded.   I watched the 1st one last October as part of my attempted marathon and was surprised how bad it was, even grading on an 80s scale.  

American horror movies are often bad, and really, not scary at all sometimes. Like if you take Dario Argento or Lucio Fulci's works, you'll see some weird dialogue and poor acting. But Argento and Fulci can film almost anything and make it scary. So many American cult horror classics are just awful. 

The Isle

Story about 3 shipwrecked sailors landing on an island by way of the siren’s song. A mix of this and possession. Interesting plot, but poor execution. 2.5/5

• Like 1

The Pledge

Hostel meets Frat Pledge Week. 2/5

Finally getting around to watching Gonjiam Haunted Asylum. It’s not too bad. 

Just now, Big League Chew said:

Is this a series ?

S. Korean found footage film 

• Thanks 1

Been striking out a lot recently with found footage.  Just so much crap being put out.  I can't remember the title but I watched one recently where a bunch of guys stand in a barn and try to talk to a ghost for an hour and a half.  They set it up as this dangerously haunted place so I stuck with it thinking something would happen but literally the only thing that happens is a slight knock at some point. 

I've moved on to true crime documentaries.  Some of these are pretty scary.  

1 hour ago, Scoresman said:

Been striking out a lot recently with found footage.  Just so much crap being put out.  I can't remember the title but I watched one recently where a bunch of guys stand in a barn and try to talk to a ghost for an hour and a half.  They set it up as this dangerously haunted place so I stuck with it thinking something would happen but literally the only thing that happens is a slight knock at some point. 

I've moved on to true crime documentaries.  Some of these are pretty scary.  

When they are good, I dig them, but they do pump out a lot of crap.  I saw Grave Encounters was on one of the streaming options - I need to rewatch that one.  

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, KarmaPolice said:

When they are good, I dig them, but they do pump out a lot of crap.  I saw Grave Encounters was on one of the streaming options - I need to rewatch that one.  

I got about 45 seconds into something called Foster Home Seance today and it was garbage from the start. Avoid at all costs (even if self-quarantined and there’s nothing else to do)

Edited by Osaurus
  • Laughing 1

Watching The Howling right now. This film has not aged well imo. 

24 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Watching The Howling right now. This film has not aged well imo. 

No it has not at all.

However An American Werewolf in London has.

• Like 1

The Institute

James Franco makes some real garbage. Ending of this film is the most interesting part of it, but you have to suffer through 85+ minutes to get to it. 1.5/5

Watched Rec and Rec 2. Found footage zombie films set in a Spanish apartment building. Not the worst zombie films I’ve ever seen. 3/5 and 2.5/5 respectively. I still have Rec 3 to watch. 

4 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Watched Rec and Rec 2. Found footage zombie films set in a Spanish apartment building. Not the worst zombie films I’ve ever seen. 3/5 and 2.5/5 respectively. I still have Rec 3 to watch. 

Are you streaming? If so where?

16 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Are you streaming? If so where?

No. I have them on my local NAS

6 hours ago, Osaurus said:

They get worse, but I think the first Rec is about as good as found footage gets.  After #### hits the fan in the apartment complex, I think it's awesome.  

There might even be a part 4/prequel (unless that's what 3 is?)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

Part 4?! Good lord

LINK

I think part 3 might have been the prequel one.  I have not seen this one yet.  

The Platform on Netflix

If compared to anything, this one would be compared to The Cube movies. Almost the entirety of it takes place in a set of stacked prison cells that have a hole in the middle of them, in which a platform of food travels down. The movie is about the prisoners' mental state and moral choices - and essentially about the relationship between the rich and the poor. Some pretty gross gore. 

Non-Quarantine Ranking: 2.5/5

Quarantine Ranking: 3.5/5

Daniel is not real was very good. It is playing on Shudder.

I also watched Haunt and I do not recommend that one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Possum

Not exactly sure wtf I just watched. 2/5

Edited by Osaurus

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2020 at 10:09 PM, KarmaPolice said:

LINK

I think part 3 might have been the prequel one.  I have not seen this one yet.  

Yup

On 3/22/2020 at 10:02 PM, KarmaPolice said:

They get worse, but I think the first Rec is about as good as found footage gets.  After #### hits the fan in the apartment complex, I think it's awesome.  

There might even be a part 4/prequel (unless that's what 3 is?)

3 is sort of prequel/parallel film. Rec 4 takes place on a ship. In any case, the original was interesting, but the rest no so much. 

Edited by Osaurus