What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

The Hunger

Been a real long time since I last saw this movie. Not great, but cool since it’s got Bowie and Bauhaus. 3/5

Look Away

Reminds me a bit of Carrie only a little different and a lot darker. Girl pushed to the brink by schoolmates and gets revenge on everyone. Meh. 3/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Lake of Death. It had some really cool imagery but overall it is a lot of atmosphere, jump scares, and no payoff. 

Relic- when Edna, the elderly and widowed matriarch of the family, goes missing, her daughter Kay and granddaughter Sam travel to their remote family home to find her. Soon after her return, they start to discover a sinister presence haunting the house and taking control of Edna (cut-pasted the movie synopsis). Slow burn domestic horror. 7/10.

The Rental- two couples on an oceanside getaway grow suspicious that the host of their seemingly perfect rental house may be spying on them. Before long, what should have been a celebratory weekend trip turns into something far more sinister, as well-kept secrets are exposed and the four old friends come to see each other in a whole new light. Starts slow but picks up steam. 7/10.

The Beach House- escaping to his family's beach house to reconnect, Emily and Randall find their off-season trip interrupted by Mitch and Jane Turner, an older couple acquainted with Randall's estranged father. Unexpected bonds form as the couples let loose and enjoy the isolation, but it all takes an ominous turn as increasingly strange environmental phenomena begin to warp their peaceful evening. 7/10.

All three of these were unexpectedly very decent.

Hidden

A Duffer Brothers flick about a family escaping a virus outbreak (too soon?) in a bomb shelter trying to survive. I would say this is a psychological thriller more than a horror movie, but there’s zombie stuff so I think it can go here. 3.5/5

:lol:   I didn't realize your list was in there.  Damn, I didn't see it before you removed it.   

Oh well, honestly more fun that way.  
I actually saw that Todem had his list and almost asked him to pull it - very cool of him to do so.  And I honestly don’t remember a thing about his list - I imagine I will do poorly in that category as I know nothing about it and don’t enjoy it myself .

The Rental was not good----my family hated every character out the box. Rule #1 of a horror movie is you have to at least care if they die. Earlier reviewer said it was a slow burn--it was. 

Just not good and made no sense. 7.99 PPV not worth it. Redbox rental at best.

I watched The Beach House the other day. I think I was expecting more. Seemed fragmented to me with some interesting effects thrown in. 3/5

The Rental was not good----my family hated every character out the box. Rule #1 of a horror movie is you have to at least care if they die. Earlier reviewer said it was a slow burn--it was. 

Just not good and made no sense. 7.99 PPV not worth it. Redbox rental at best.
I didn't hate it for the genre but I'd say it was a C- effort. If you get a Amazon FireTV 4K and load Cinema TV APK on it, these movies are all free :)  

Relic- when Edna, the elderly and widowed matriarch of the family, goes missing, her daughter Kay and granddaughter Sam travel to their remote family home to find her. Soon after her return, they start to discover a sinister presence haunting the house and taking control of Edna (cut-pasted the movie synopsis). Slow burn domestic horror. 7/10.

The Rental- two couples on an oceanside getaway grow suspicious that the host of their seemingly perfect rental house may be spying on them. Before long, what should have been a celebratory weekend trip turns into something far more sinister, as well-kept secrets are exposed and the four old friends come to see each other in a whole new light. Starts slow but picks up steam. 7/10.

The Beach House- escaping to his family's beach house to reconnect, Emily and Randall find their off-season trip interrupted by Mitch and Jane Turner, an older couple acquainted with Randall's estranged father. Unexpected bonds form as the couples let loose and enjoy the isolation, but it all takes an ominous turn as increasingly strange environmental phenomena begin to warp their peaceful evening. 7/10.

All three of these were unexpectedly very decent.
Appreciate your short description of the plot lines.  Helps a bunch.

thanx!

I watched The Beach House the other day. I think I was expecting more. Seemed fragmented to me with some interesting effects thrown in. 3/5
Same here. We watched it (the Todem household are horror freaks) and thought it was ok. Not great. But I appreciate the original content Shudder keeps pumping out. 

Same here. We watched it (the Todem household are horror freaks) and thought it was ok. Not great. But I appreciate the original content Shudder keeps pumping out. 
I did not care for it and I thought the acting was really poor.

A train wreck.  
I will fully admit that I don't love a lot of remakes/reboots, but I am not against the idea on principle or anything.   It's just odd the choices they make sometimes, and completely neuter what made something creepy to begin with.  Doll possessed by a serial killer >>>>>>>>>  doll programmed with a bug by a disgruntled employee?  

The Rental

It wasn’t the worst movie I’ve seen. Some suspense with dumb millennials. 3/5.

ETA: Reminded me a bit of 13 Cameras only more sophisticated.

She Never Died

It’s the sequel to He Never Died with Henry Rollins which I haven’t seen. I’d describe it as Hostel meets X-Men meets Blade. The plot is meh, but makes me want to see the original. 3/5

Host

You knew it would happen. The first found footage film made entirely on a Zoom call is here! This was filmed in Quarantine and is pretty decent. The characters even remember to put their masks on when they run from their homes chased by ghosts!!

It really does nothing new outside of the Zoom gimmick but the haunts are done fairly well. It’s also only an hour so the common complaint of found footage where nothing happens for the first half of the movie is not so pronounced.  Not a terrible watch. 

The Divide

Dystopian story about a cataclysmic event forcing people into a bomb shelter and things start to unravel. It offers a great view of what things could be. 3/5

Host

You knew it would happen. The first found footage film made entirely on a Zoom call is here! This was filmed in Quarantine and is pretty decent. The characters even remember to put their masks on when they run from their homes chased by ghosts!!

It really does nothing new outside of the Zoom gimmick but the haunts are done fairly well. It’s also only an hour so the common complaint of found footage where nothing happens for the first half of the movie is not so pronounced.  Not a terrible watch. 
Just watched it with Mrs. O. She said it was better than most of the crap I watch throughout my work weeks. Not too bad and definitely moves quickly. 3/5

Rewatched In the Mouth of Madness last night. It was one of the first horror movies I really loved back in high school. It holds up well enough since most of the effects are in the background and out of focus. I had a great time watching it again after 25 years. 

Rewatched In the Mouth of Madness last night. It was one of the first horror movies I really loved back in high school. It holds up well enough since most of the effects are in the background and out of focus. I had a great time watching it again after 25 years. 
Good one.  

One that I have been thinking about lately for some reason is The Serpent and the Rainbow.  

I watched La Llorona 2020 tonight. I enjoyed it, it is a slow burn but the payoff was worth it. Some really creepy scenes. I believe the movie is Guatemalan so I needed the subtitles but creepy movie.

He Never Died

Interesting film with Henry Rollins as an immortal cannibal just trying to be left alone. He gets caught up with some bad dudes after him and his daughter (as bait). I like Rollins and this part was perfect for him. 3.5/5

Watched The Lodge Sat Night 

Ill give it 3.25/5 begrudgingly 

Solid at times, cliche and confusing at others. I don't want to spoil it but there were definitely some parts that ranged between forced and "oh come on....".

Then again there were some solid suspenseful bits and it was quite well shot. Feels like maybe first half was 3.5/5 and second half was 2.75/5. 

Odds Are

Story about kids playing a prank and they knock on the wrong door. Calamity ensues as the homeowner proceeds to mess with them and slowly kill them. 3/5

Just watched it with Mrs. O. She said it was better than most of the crap I watch throughout my work weeks. Not too bad and definitely moves quickly. 3/5
I thought it stunk to high heaven. 

1 star.

The Hole in the Ground

Very suspenseful movie about a boy who ventures into the woods and comes back to his mom as something else. A kind of Changeling feel to this movie, but it’s not bad. 3/5

The Haunting of Sharon Tate

Revisionist plot of what occurred (and not in a decent way like Tarantino) to Sharon Tate and her guests by members of the Manson family. 1.5/5

Watched the latest Joe Bob show. It was Victor Crowley and he had the director and many of the actors as guests. It was a fun watch and cool to hear them reminisce about making the film.

The Honeymoon Phase

Story is about testing newlyweds for a month to see how to retain that honeymoon feeling throughout a long term marriage. The plot changes to something ultimately more sinister. When clones go wild. 3/5

I finally watched The Exorcist. They sure do take their time building up to the actual exorcism. Pretty freaky stuff. I also noticed an absence of music through most of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread