What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (1 Viewer)

barrett is def gonna be the starter next year,

miller should transfer to the rb/wr role that percy harvin had with meyer.

cardale should transfer to a school that needs a qb.
Can you imagine Barrett in shotgun, EZ-E on his right, Miller to his left? Read option to Elliot left, sprint right with Miller trailing in the option look, pitch to Miller for run/pass option? How do you defend that? So many things you can do with that personnel.

Jones shouldn't transfer. Either trust Meyer will get him some exposure either via injury or personnel, or just declare and get on with it. Jones is already 22, transferring loses a year of eligibility and then only has one year in a new system. He may as well just go get drafted in the 5th and get some NFL coaching.
NFL doesn't spend much time on third string qb's. If he wants a good shot at the pros then he needs to show more in college.
When he shows up at the combine and throws his deep ball with his size and measurables, some teams won't care if ever played a down of college football.
oh he will get drafted, but then what?If he wants a career he needs more experience. If he wants a paycheck then declare.
He won't get experience at Ohio State barring injuries. Needs to transfer or go pro. He will sit in the NFL too, but will get better coaching and get paid to sit on game days.

barrett is def gonna be the starter next year,

miller should transfer to the rb/wr role that percy harvin had with meyer.

cardale should transfer to a school that needs a qb.
Can you imagine Barrett in shotgun, EZ-E on his right, Miller to his left? Read option to Elliot left, sprint right with Miller trailing in the option look, pitch to Miller for run/pass option? How do you defend that? So many things you can do with that personnel.

Jones shouldn't transfer. Either trust Meyer will get him some exposure either via injury or personnel, or just declare and get on with it. Jones is already 22, transferring loses a year of eligibility and then only has one year in a new system. He may as well just go get drafted in the 5th and get some NFL coaching.
NFL doesn't spend much time on third string qb's. If he wants a good shot at the pros then he needs to show more in college.
When he shows up at the combine and throws his deep ball with his size and measurables, some teams won't care if ever played a down of college football.
oh he will get drafted, but then what?If he wants a career he needs more experience. If he wants a paycheck then declare.
He won't get experience at Ohio State barring injuries. Needs to transfer or go pro. He will sit in the NFL too, but will get better coaching and get paid to sit on game days.
if I didn't write earlier that he should transfer then, well, here it is.

Mr. Jones has hrs to make a decision on if he should go to the NFL/draft or not. He's being compared to a very raw Roethlisberger.

I have to say, this is about as bizzarre a situation as I can remember. He should go back to school, but can he really do that if he's going to sit on the sidelines? I'm not sure a transfer is going to be as easy as people think. tOSU could force him to sit a year if he does that. It might be best for him to ride the bench in the NFL where he could learn a lot more and get paid.

His raw ability is apparent. Big, strong, agile, fast, cannon arm. He's what, a late 3rd or 4th if he declares? I mean Logan a Thomas went 4th.

I can't believe you guys are serious about Jones as an NFL QB.
Best arm on the field last night, right?
Yes.
I was being a little bit of a smart@$$ there obviously, but based on positional scarcity, and physical tools, he is obviously a draft-able prospect.

Just watching Skip Bayless, who said Mariota dropped out of his first round, and Jones is maybe a 1st rounder now. I mean, :rolleyes: .

Not sure if he can be a 1st or 2nd rounder, but he looks pretty sexy in the 3rd, I would guess. I wonder if Sean Payton or Belichick or someone else with an old QB might like him as a developmental guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen anything like the story of Cardale Jones. Astounding that he's only played 3 games and won a National Championship and I SERIOUSLY think he should come out.

I think McShay said he'd be a 4th round pick but he would go higher after he breaks the Combine.

The kid looks like he could play in any system but he has displayed prototypical NFL pocket passing skills but he stepped up on a National stage in the biggest stage and looked unflappable.

To say I'm highly intrigued with his potential is an understatement.

I think he'd easily go in the 3rd and more than likely someone would take a shot at him in the 2nd or be tempted in the late 1st. Totally insane to say that after only 3 college games but its the God's honest truth of how high I think he could be drafted based on the very raw skills he's shown.

I've never seen anything like the story of Cardale Jones. Astounding that he's only played 3 games and won a National Championship and I SERIOUSLY think he should come out.

I think McShay said he'd be a 4th round pick but he would go higher after he breaks the Combine.

The kid looks like he could play in any system but he has displayed prototypical NFL pocket passing skills but he stepped up on a National stage in the biggest stage and looked unflappable.

To say I'm highly intrigued with his potential is an understatement.

I think he'd easily go in the 3rd and more than likely someone would take a shot at him in the 2nd or be tempted in the late 1st. Totally insane to say that after only 3 college games but its the God's honest truth of how high I think he could be drafted based on the very raw skills he's shown.
Anything could happen so by no means am I disparaging him in the 2nd or 1st. However, I think NFL teams are going to be hard pressed to make such a commitment after only 3 games of footage.

You can take him in the 3rd/4th, and if it doesn't work out, whateva.

Taking him in the 1st round, people are putting their career in his hands. GMs, scouts, and coaches will have to (essentially) say, 'this kid with three games as a starter, if he's not a winning QB in the NFL, then fire me."

No way.

The guy he reminds me of is Tebow. Pretty athletic for his size, very strong arm, not really a QB. Maybe with more reps under his belt he could turn into a better Tebow.

The guy he reminds me of is Tebow. Pretty athletic for his size, very strong arm, not really a QB. Maybe with more reps under his belt he could turn into a better Tebow.
His arm is 2 or 3 times better than Tebow's ever was.

Fishing trip??
Why do you think that's fishing? Because he's obviously better or obviously worse?
Because it's a pretty terrible comparison.
It's certainly better than Roethlisberger as a comp.

Fishing trip??
Why do you think that's fishing? Because he's obviously better or obviously worse?
Whatever Tebow has hanging from his shoulder cannot be called the same thing as what Jones has. If Tebow has an arm, then Jones has a cannon. If Jones has an arm, then Tebow has.....an autograph maker.

Just based on arm talent, I think the comparison falls short.

Tebow was maybe the best college player of all time. But his game didn't translate to the NFL. Jones has accomplished very little, but has NFL tools that Tebow has never had.

No GM would do it based on so little game time, but if this kid were to enter the draft, when it is all said and done, they will wish they picked him ahead of Winston and Mariota. At least that is what my scouting department is telling me. Pocket presence, quick release, nice touch, strong arm, runs with purpose or out of necessity, hard to bring down, cool demeanor, acts like he has done this before.

I think even the the 4th is a little high at this time. I'd say 5th or 6th. He will just be an experimental pick whoever takes him. That said, I think he should come out. There's no guarantee of future success and he may never have as much momentum going for him as he has right now.

BTW, Jones didn't make a million quick decisions last night, and faced no pass rush. It's not like last night was some amazing audition for the NFL. He sat there, and sat there, and sat there, and then slung it 30 yards to a WR.

He won't be able to do that in the NFL any more than Mariota will be able to screen his way down the field in the NFL.

Fishing trip??
Whatever Tebow has hanging from his shoulder cannot be called the same thing as what Jones has. If Tebow has an arm, then Jones has a cannon. If Jones has an arm, then Tebow has.....an autograph maker.

Just based on arm talent, I think the comparison falls short.

Tebow was maybe the best college player of all time. But his game didn't translate to the NFL. Jones has accomplished very little, but has NFL tools that Tebow has never had.
Jones made 2 throws last night that were more impressive than any I think I ever saw Tebow make in his entire career. The 30 yd flag route from 5 yds deep in his own end zone was thrown as well as it could be. Then the deep in throw for 20 or so yds right into the teeth of a tight window showing tremendous arm strength, timing and accuracy. He made both throws from the pocket. Both translate extremely well to the NFL. They were the beys throws of the night by far for either QB IMO. This is why I'd say he had the best arm on the field. The comp is laughable for this reason alone.

And about ten times more accurate than Tebow ever was.
Tebow completed 66.4% of his passes while in college, with 88 TDs and 16 INTs. Jones completed 60.4% of his passes. Obviously Jones' sample size is tiny, but at the college level, Tebow was plenty accurate. It was only once he got to the NFL and his long windup got put under more pressure that his accuracy fell off a cliff.

No exaggeration here, this is possibly the worst comparison of any two things that I've ever seen.

BTW, Jones didn't make a million quick decisions last night, and faced no pass rush. It's not like last night was some amazing audition for the NFL. He sat there, and sat there, and sat there, and then slung it 30 yards to a WR.

He won't be able to do that in the NFL any more than Mariota will be able to screen his way down the field in the NFL.
I disagree. Oregon was getting great pressure early in the game with their DEs. Actually I thought the Oregon DEs were looking like they were going to control the game. tOSU wore them down, though. When they did get pressure on him he discarded them like butterflies on a rhino. By and large he made his good throws from a great pocket. I agree with that.

Fishing trip??
I made the Ben comparison in another thread. Jones looks a lot like Ben with the ability to extend plays while looking downfield. That does not mean that Jones is going to have the career like Ben but he just plays the QB position the same way.

And about ten times more accurate than Tebow ever was.
Tebow completed 66.4% of his passes while in college, with 88 TDs and 16 INTs. Jones completed 60.4% of his passes. Obviously Jones' sample size is tiny, but at the college level, Tebow was plenty accurate. It was only once he got to the NFL and his long windup got put under more pressure that his accuracy fell off a cliff.
You are right he was more accurate in college but in the pros that aspect of Tim's game didn't transfer and was one of the big reasons why he failed.

Cardale's release is better but he's got the size and strength of Tebow to extend plays like Tim was able to do.

People don't recall that when Tim played in the NFL he extended plays with his legs and size/strength and obviously he could run with it like Cardale.

The big thing with Cardale is the pocket presence he displays in ADDITION to the Tebow-like size/strength ability to extend plays and take off with the ball.

Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott best player on field in CFB title game

Excerpt:

Cardale JonesWhen you study the quarterback position you always look for players with exceptional traits. Jones has many -- rare size and arm strength, and he has above-average touch and athleticism. He had a couple turnovers, but I was really impressed by how he didn't let the game get away from him like Jameis Winston did in the Rose Bowl. Jones showed much more poise, and was even keel throughout the game. He reminds me of Daunte Culpepper.

He had all day to throw, but he threw a nice ball and was accurate. Can't blame him for having great blocking, but it does make you wonder how both QB's last night would have fared if they switched offensive lines. There are not pockets like that in the NFL. It's just hard to predict how a guy will do when he's taken out of ideal situations like so many college "stars" are.

There was one throw last night in the 2nd quarter where under pressure he calmly stepped up into the pocket to avoid said pressure and then slid out of the pocket to his right and flicked a 30 yard pass to his man on the 5 yard line. That play alone he showed more pro tendencies than I've seen with either Winston or Mariota...By the way IMO none of these guys should go in the 1st round but Mariota and Winston will and the teams that pick them will have the same regrets the Jets and Bills have.

I disagree. Oregon was getting great pressure early in the game with their DEs. Actually I thought the Oregon DEs were looking like they were going to control the game. tOSU wore them down, though. When they did get pressure on him he discarded them like butterflies on a rhino.By and large he made his good throws from a great pocket. I agree with that.
Yeah, he faced pressure. Their were at least two defenders who had full running shots on him that he was able to shrug them off, extend the play with his legs and make a play.

He had all day to throw, but he threw a nice ball and was accurate. Can't blame him for having great blocking, but it does make you wonder how both QB's last night would have fared if they switched offensive lines. There are not pockets like that in the NFL. It's just hard to predict how a guy will do when he's taken out of ideal situations like so many college "stars" are.
People keep saying this but there were multiple times where his oline broke down and he just beat Oregon with his legs.

Fishing trip??
I made the Ben comparison in another thread. Jones looks a lot like Ben with the ability to extend plays while looking downfield. That does not mean that Jones is going to have the career like Ben but he just plays the QB position the same way.
Jones has 46 rushing attempts in the three games he started. Roethlisberger only had that many in a season, once in his career. He had 21 rushes last night. They are both hard to bring down, but Jones looks to run.

People keep saying this but there were multiple times where his oline broke down and he just beat Oregon with his legs.
There were times when the pass rush finally got there, and he took off.

Fishing trip??
Jones has 46 rushing attempts in the three games he started. Roethlisberger only had that many in a season, once in his career. He had 21 rushes last night. They are both hard to bring down, but Jones looks to run.
Maybe he had that many rushing attempts because he plays in a totally different system and one that actually utilizes the QB as a run threat a great deal. Context matters.

There were times when the pass rush finally got there, and he took off.
No, there were times where their oline was flat out beat. Especially early in the game.

Fishing trip??
I think a lot of that though is because they were running a lot of designed reads and draws for him. That wouldn't happen as much in the NFL depending on the team that takes him.

A few times that he got pressure doesn't mean he was facing much of a rush. For the game, he was not a under a lot of pressure. Period.

Fishing trip??
Maybe he had that many rushing attempts because he plays in a totally different system and one that actually utilizes the QB as a run threat a great deal.Context matters.
He's also significantly more capable of running than Ben is. He's got pretty good elusiveness for a big guy, and he's way faster than Ben.

He's also significantly more capable of running than Ben is. He's got pretty good elusiveness for a big guy, and he's way faster than Ben.
I agree. He looks like he could play TE in the NFL. Assuming he could block and catch.

Users who are viewing this thread