What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (6 Viewers)

All this Mariota talk is making me queasy.

It's just too darn expensive to move up that far with a decent QB already on the team and a bunch of holes to fill.

All this Mariota talk is making me queasy.

It's just too darn expensive to move up that far with a decent QB already on the team and a bunch of holes to fill.
What do you do if Foles has a similar season to last year? Say 15 TDs, 10 INTs and gets hurt after 10 games. Now you have to give the man a contract or let him walk. The Eagles are at a crossroad, IMO it's just as risky sticking with Foles for another year. Best case scenario is he has a great year and you have to sign him to a massive contract. Worst case, you could be in an even worse QB position this time next year without a great fit like Mariotta available.

To preempt the give him a Kaepernick or Daulton-type contract. That has to be done this offseason, not the one where the QB becomes an UFA.

Heard a friend say he had read about a trade with Oakland. I looked everywhere and haven't found it, so not sure where or if it came from anywhere. But it was:

Pick 4

for

Pick 20

2015 3rd Rounder

2016 1st Rouner
LeSean McCoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard a friend say he had read about a trade with Oakland. I looked everywhere and haven't found it, so not sure where or if it came from anywhere. But it was:

Pick 4

for

Pick 20

2015 3rd Rounder

2016 1st Rouner

LeSean McCoy
:lol: what?

Sounds like a bad Dynasty trade

cstu said:
They'd be getting one first and downgrading the one they have this year. That's not the going rate. No GM will take that because they would get destroyed by ownership.
The going rate isn't a chart it's what someone is willing to pay. IMO, Foles, 1.20, and a 2016 1st > any player at 1.2.

ETA: I'm a Foles believer.
The Titans wouldn't put any value on Foles. They really like Mettenberger and want to give him a chance to be the starter. No way would they bring in a guy like Foles over him at this point.

I think you'd be looking at this year's first and second and next year's first and second at the very least.
I'd think 2015 1st, 3rd plus 2016 1st+2nd plus Foles might work, but not less than that. Foles is an UFA after 2015 so a contract would have to be worked out, which likely would preclude a draft day trade
All these players being discussed as trade bait (Foles, Kendricks, Cox) are in almost the same boat. They're UFAs after 2015. Why would they agree to any kind of a rushed contract extension with a team & coaching staff they don't know without having a chance to test the market and choose their next team?

I'm a little worried the Kelly makes some kind of ridiculous trade for Mariota since it seems he doesn't have a good sense of player value. Jordan Matthews in the 1st wouldn't have been so bad but taking Taylor Hart in the 3rd would have been diabolical. I don't see how they'd get into the top 5 without giving this year's first rounder plus two future first rounders with another couple of early picks as well. Given the age of the OL, the weaknesses in the secondary and the fact that guys like Cole and Ryans need to be replaced, Kendricks and Cox need to be extended, trading away that many picks could come back to haunt them. The key to managing the cap and having money to spend and not having to cut productive players is having a certain number of starters on their cheap rookie contracts.

Edit: Here are key contributors playing on their rookie contracts:

• Nick Foles
  • Fletcher Cox
  • Mychal Kendricks
  • Vinny Curry
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Lane Johnson
  • Bennie Logan
  • Cedric Thornton
  • Zach Ertz
  • Brandon Graham (last year anyway)
All these guys have low salaries and total cap hits below the market rate for even a serviceable veteran player, except possibly Johnson due to the $12M signing bonus. Guys like Huff & Marcus Smith (fingers crossed) might take the place of a guy like Graham next year. Good teams will consistently have a list like this, or longer. Teams that are weaker and having cap trouble will have fewer cheap contributors and less cap space to make targeted acquisitions because they're paying $3-4M / yr for average veterans to make up for a lack of cheap contributors acquired through the draft.

That's what trading a bunch of high picks for a single player can get you if that guys not a smashing success.

Calling it now, the Jets will pass on him and he will slide to 20
No chance. If he makes it even to 10 we are going to be calling up and going after him. Even Chip won't let him slide to 20.

If he is still there at 20 I'm going to be mega paranoid that something is wrong with him or that he is going to suck and I wouldn't even want him there.

After the Jets the Bears, Rams, and Browns are the only possibilities. Does John Fox want a QB that won't be ready to win for 2 years? Jeff Fisher? Was McCown signed to mentor JFF or to bridge the gap to Mariota?

After the Jets the Bears, Rams, and Browns are the only possibilities. Does John Fox want a QB that won't be ready to win for 2 years? Jeff Fisher? Was McCown signed to mentor JFF or to bridge the gap to Mariota?
i think the rams and browns would both have strong interest. if not someone would prob trade up.

Pick 4

for

Pick 20

2015 3rd Rounder

2016 1st Rouner

LeSean McCoy
I keep hearing Oakland and McCoy but have any of these "reporters" seen Latavious Murrey play? No way Oakland invests in McCoy.

i think the rams and browns would both have strong interest. if not someone would prob trade up.
Who else in the first round would want to leap frog the Eagles? Arizona is the only remote possibility and one could argue strongly against them too.

Who else in the first round would want to leap frog the Eagles? Arizona is the only remote possibility and one could argue strongly against them too.
Lots of teams if they see him as that talented. Maybe Denver trades up for him. Maybe Tennessee really liked him (but not at 2), and trades up from 34 to 19 to get him. Maybe a team like New Orleans trades back in the draft and then trades up a couple spots for him. There's lots of options and not every team will pass over a guy of that great value just because they don't need a qb. And if he isn't fantastic value at pick #19, that means something is up and we probably don't want him at 20.

Mariota on this team would probably be awesome. But all the pieces that we would lose to get him is what concerns me. I think Foles can be totally fine and a very good QB that can lead a team through the playoffs. Would Mariota add that many points to our scoreboard? Enough to offset adding less young, low-cost pieces to the defense? If we blame the problems of previous drafts on Roseman and think Kelly can draft well (and you better think that if you think him moving up to get Mariota is a good idea) wouldn't you rather he get MORE chances to draft good players than less chances?

Love these apples to apples comparisons. We should just trade Foles for the #1 pick since he's so valuable, that way we wouldn't have to mortgage the franchise for Mariotta.
Think Mariotta is capable of the numbers in that pic? Serious question.What do you think when you see Brees now and look at those numbers?
I think the league has change the rules for defensive players and if Drew Brees had entered the league in the last 3 years his numbers would look totally different. And yes, I think Mariotta could put up some amazing numbers with Chip.

This cracked me up for some reason. Picturing milk crates in the parking lot.

Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman didn't just lose his general manager title this offseason. He also lost his office. Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer has the details:

"Howie Roseman’s office was recently moved from the football operations end of the NovaCare Complex to the business side, sources said, another indication of the former Eagles general manager’s lessening involvement with decisions related to the team.

Roseman’s old office was two doors down from coach Chip Kelly. He had the same space when Andy Reid was previously head coach. Roseman, whose new title is Executive Vice President of Football Operations, now occupies a former conference room that is near Ari Roitman, Senior Vice President of Business.

The Eagles had no comment.

The second floor of the Eagles training facility is split. Offices for the coaching staff and members of the personnel department are to the left at the top of central staircase and offices for business personnel -- team president Don Smolenski, for instance -- are to the right."

This move just confirms what we already knew: Roseman has been completely removed from the team's player personnel department. And not just in title, but actually physically removed. Eagles coach Chip Kelly and vice president of player personnel Ed Marynowitz are running the show now.

Mariota on this team would probably be awesome. But all the pieces that we would lose to get him is what concerns me. I think Foles can be totally fine and a very good QB that can lead a team through the playoffs. Would Mariota add that many points to our scoreboard? Enough to offset adding less young, low-cost pieces to the defense? If we blame the problems of previous drafts on Roseman and think Kelly can draft well (and you better think that if you think him moving up to get Mariota is a good idea) wouldn't you rather he get MORE chances to draft good players than less chances?
You're going to have to pay Foles after this season. QB is a position that has the highest cost. So the money you would have to spend on a vet defensive player because you can't draft a guy is more than offset by the money you'd have to pay Foles.

Isn't this what you get hiring a college coach? He's used to getting recruits he wants and fitting players into his system. I love Mariota but if I were an Eagles fan I'd be pretty nervous about a coach who 'has to have his guy' versus working his system around a pretty good QB and keeping those picks to build other parts of the team.

Isn't this what you get hiring a college coach? He's used to getting recruits he wants and fitting players into his system. I love Mariota but if I were an Eagles fan I'd be pretty nervous about a coach who 'has to have his guy' versus working his system around a pretty good QB and keeping those picks to build other parts of the team.
I dont think Chip does have to have his guy, this is all baseless speculation by people on radio and websites.

Chip doesn't talk and now pulls all the strings. All the "his guy" talk is nothing more than conjecture.

Chip doesn't talk and now pulls all the strings. All the "his guy" talk is nothing more than conjecture.
Gotcha.

@ZBerm: Jones, 28, spent the past 6 seasons with the Packers. Started 36 games. He's 6-3, 242.

@Jeff_McLane: Brad Jones scouting report. MT @GregABedard: Defense. Woof. Good athlete, smart guy. Never could put the two together on the field.

This cracked me up for some reason. Picturing milk crates in the parking lot.

Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman didn't just lose his general manager title this offseason. He also lost his office. Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer has the details:

"Howie Rosemans office was recently moved from the football operations end of the NovaCare Complex to the business side, sources said, another indication of the former Eagles general managers lessening involvement with decisions related to the team.

Rosemans old office was two doors down from coach Chip Kelly. He had the same space when Andy Reid was previously head coach. Roseman, whose new title is Executive Vice President of Football Operations, now occupies a former conference room that is near Ari Roitman, Senior Vice President of Business.

The Eagles had no comment.

The second floor of the Eagles training facility is split. Offices for the coaching staff and members of the personnel department are to the left at the top of central staircase and offices for business personnel -- team president Don Smolenski, for instance -- are to the right."

This move just confirms what we already knew: Roseman has been completely removed from the team's player personnel department. And not just in title, but actually physically removed. Eagles coach Chip Kelly and vice president of player personnel Ed Marynowitz are running the show now.
Roseman must be seething.

Which way the wind blows for Bucs at No. 1

The rumors started to really fly on Friday. All along, there’s been speculation that the Philadelphia Eagles might try to trade up for the No. 1 pick in the draft to use it on Oregon's Mariota. It all is logical. Mariota played for Eagles coach Chip Kelly in college and would be a perfect fit in Philadelphia’s up-tempo offense. It was pure speculation, I thought.

Until my phone started ringing Friday. Two different members of the Philadelphia media called me to say they were hearing rumblings that a trade was imminent. These are trusted media members and the content of both calls contained the same details.

The Eagles were about to trade quarterback Nick Foles, running back LeSean McCoy and three first-round draft picks to the Bucs for the No. 1 pick in the draft. It sounded believable.

So I called someone within the Tampa Bay organization that would know if something was cooking. He said the rumor was untrue. Meantime, my friends in the Philadelphia media poked around some more with their Eagles’ sources. They got the same response I did. No trade was imminent and no one would say if there even have been any talks between the two teams.

Scrap that rumor -- for now. If something is going to happen, it probably won’t come until much closer to the draft. Deadlines push people to action and the draft isn’t until the end of April. The rumors are likely to continue to circulate.

But for every reason why such a deal would make sense, there are an equal number of reasons why I don’t see it happening.

Let’s start with Tampa Bay’s side of things. Would the Bucs really part with the No. 1 pick instead of using it on Mariota or Florida State’s Winston? I think that might be a stretch. Winston and Mariota might be franchise quarterbacks. The Bucs would be giving up a franchise quarterback and plugging in Foles as the starting quarterback.

That doesn’t make a lot of sense. The Bucs had something close to Foles in Josh McCown and they let him go. They still have something close to Foles in Mike Glennon.

Then there’s McCoy. He’s a great running back. But the Bucs already have Charles Sims and Doug Martin. All indications are the coaching staff and front office are deeply invested in Sims, who they drafted last year. I don’t see the Bucs suddenly giving up on Sims. Plus, I'm not so sure the Bucs want to take on McCoy's big contract.

The three first-round picks would have to be attractive for the Bucs. They have plenty of holes besides quarterback. But this is where the potential deal hits a major roadblock.

With that in mind, let’s flip over to Philadelphia’s point of view. No matter how smitten Kelly is with Mariota, the Eagles might not have the firepower to make such a trade. At the moment, the Eagles have the 20th overall pick in the draft. That’s all they have.

They would have to make another trade first to get another first-round pick for this year. Yes, Philadelphia could offer its first-round picks in 2016 and ’17. But the Bucs can’t sit around and wait for those drafts. Coach Lovie Smith needs to win now.

Besides, giving up three first-round picks, would mean the Eagles would be mortgaging their future on Mariota. Three picks and two players would be a very steep price.

I’m not saying such a deal can’t happen. But let’s file that trade away for the moment and wait for something that’s stronger than a rumor.

But all the pieces that we would lose to get him is what concerns me.

What are the pieces? We don't know yet so why fear it?

Would Mariota add that many points to our scoreboard?

Not necessarily more points, but more options and chances to score. Are there plays in Chip's playbook that he doesn't run with Foles? If so what's a percentage?

Look at Chip:

Eliot Shorr-Parks ‏@EliotShorrParks 40s40 seconds ago

#Eagles announce they haven't used their franchise tag.
This is gigantic IMO
Why not use it on Maclin?
Exactly. Maybe a deal gets done but why couldn't one be worked out with him still on the team?

Jerry Hughes hitting FA is kind of good news for us too, unless Chip thinks he's too small

Maybe interest in Julius Thomas?

I still don't get the Maclin thing but boy Im sure talk radio has us trading up to 1 and 2 and getting Mariotta and White now lol

Look at Chip:

This is gigantic IMO
because he'd get something like 15 million this year and (I think) if they were to try to franchise him next year they have to pay him 120% of that 15 mill. otherwise he's a free agent again. Best to lock him into a long term deal now-if that's what you want. Can't let him walk, so they must be close to a deal. At least that's what I'd wager.

Bigboy10182000, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:31 PM, said:
Deamon, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:26 PM, said:
Bigboy10182000, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:16 PM, said:
Bigboy10182000, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:00 PM, said:Look at Chip:

This is gigantic IMO
Exactly. Maybe a deal gets done but why couldn't one be worked out with him still on the team?

Jerry Hughes hitting FA is kind of good news for us too, unless Chip thinks he's too small

Maybe interest in Julius Thomas?

I still don't get the Maclin thing but boy Im sure talk radio has us trading up to 1 and 2 and getting Mariotta and White now lol
Wow, thought for sure he would get tagged if no deal was in place.

Look at Chip:

This is gigantic IMO
because he'd get something like 15 million this year and (I think) if they were to try to franchise him next year they have to pay him 120% of that 15 mill. otherwise he's a free agent again. Best to lock him into a long term deal now-if that's what you want. Can't let him walk, so they must be close to a deal. At least that's what I'd wager.
And why not tag him and still work on that deal?

If you tag him and he is guaranteed 13 Mil this year, how willing would he be to sign a contract that was rumored to average 9.5 and gives him 20 Mil guaranteed?

Chip basically calling a bluff and saying "this is what we think you're worth".

(And hey, if you don't want it, we can offer it to Cobb.)

SO what's he worth in Dynasty now (if you're trying to buy), due to uncertainty???

A buy low candidate?

If you tag him and he is guaranteed 13 Mil this year, how willing would he be to sign a contract that was rumored to average 9.5 and gives him 20 Mil guaranteed?

Chip basically calling a bluff and saying "this is what we think you're worth".

(And hey, if you don't want it, we can offer it to Cobb.)
Except Cobb has already turned down 9 per and is seeking 12 per according to repoprts. Players want guaranteed money and 20 is more than 13. His end game is a deal with guaranteed money

This would be no different than what we did with Desean and Vick. Both were tagged and both got deals after being tagged

Bigboy10182000 said:
@BizballMaury: Salary Cap In #NFL Will Be $143.28M, NFLPA Releases Adjustments For All Teams http://t.co/hUNKNyUfRZvia @forbes -> http://t.co/wPIoB0o2Sw
Nice. 3rd highest cap in the NFL for us. Go get Maxwell!

I know Suh probably has a 5% chance of landing in Philly if that, but any interest in this guy? Obviously we have much bigger needs but it's always interesting when a highly skilled defensive player is kickin around.

I posted this in the AP thread but want to get your thoughts. It's crazy but try to play along.

Fantasy trade alert:

Three way trade between the Cowboys, Vikings, and Eagles. Vikes get McCoy, Cowboys get AP, Eagles get Cowboys 2nd rd pick. Vikes save face by getting an All Pro RB to replace AP, Jerry gets his guy, Eagles dump McCoy's big salary and get a chip in their pursuit of Mariota. Eagles then sign Spiller whom they tried to acquire last year.

Users who are viewing this thread