What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (11 Viewers)

you guys think Josh Huff has a chance to carve out a roll? I know its early but I could see maclin walking and then spending on Def n Spiller
I like Huff but I don't know if I like him outside. He needs polish and to be able to catch consistently but a couple of times in RAC situations and on returns he's flashed a physical edge to his game that I like. I think Matthews would be the one to move outside of the two.

you guys think Josh Huff has a chance to carve out a roll? I know its early but I could see maclin walking and then spending on Def n Spiller
I like Huff but I don't know if I like him outside. He needs polish and to be able to catch consistently but a couple of times in RAC situations and on returns he's flashed a physical edge to his game that I like. I think Matthews would be the one to move outside of the two.
I disagree. Huff is faster and better in open space. They started Matthews in the slot because that's where they want him. He'll be a solid possession guy this season (Matthews that is).

I'd like to see the SF CB pair and Rahim Moore as part of the big moves on defense. All are probably going to be around 5mil/yr. 3 players for the price of 2(Maxwell/Mccourty).
I mentioned all 3 of these guys earlier. I believe they'll do this before a Maxwell/MCourty combo.

I disagree. Huff is faster and better in open space. They started Matthews in the slot because that's where they want him. He'll be a solid possession guy this season (Matthews that is).
We'll see, I don't have a strong opinion but in the little we've seen of Huff so far he's looked like a guy more likely to make plays after the catch. Was thinking more of Matthews height advantage in putting him outside, but I'm also not sure he'll consistently separate against outside coverage. Agree on the projection for Matthews this year, I think he's a high floor, low ceiling type. Huff has the potential to be better, but more work to do to get there.

I do hope we see more of Ertz and Huff and less of Cooper between the 20s this year.

Edit: Just looked up some info, athletically I think it's a wash, 40 times were so close it doesn't matter, 10yd split, 3 cone etc were also very close. Just going by impressions Huff looks shiftier, Matthews looks more straight line, with a slower change of direction. Matthews is 4" taller with longer arms and bigger hands, that catch radius him a better target outside to me. Huff looks more like a guy who needs to catch the ball in some space but more likely to make a play after.

Will be an interesting season, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagles expected to keep DeMeco Ryans?

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/4/8151475/eagles-demeco-ryans-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-trade-kiko-alonso

Doesn't make much sense unless, as Brandon suggests, the Eagles are gonna trade Kendricks when they move up to draft Mariota. I'd hate to lose Kendricks, but if that's what it takes to get a QB, then that's what it takes.
I heard this today and that makes the Alonzo deal a lot less favorable. You go from adding a guy coming off an injury and looking to bounce to his pro bowl form, to relying on two guys to bounce back from injury and be productive players. You should be able to get Mariota without giving up Cox or Kendricks. Just throw picks at them like you were going to do.

If they sign a ton of mercenaries and cast off Cox and/or Kendricks I will be very pissed.

I'd like to see the SF CB pair and Rahim Moore as part of the big moves on defense. All are probably going to be around 5mil/yr. 3 players for the price of 2(Maxwell/Mccourty).
I mentioned all 3 of these guys earlier. I believe they'll do this before a Maxwell/MCourty combo.
I don't like it but if the Jenkins deal is any indication, that's what Chip will do. I'm getting more worried with each passing day.

I don't like it but if the Jenkins deal is any indication, that's what Chip will do. I'm getting more worried with each passing day.
I just keep hearing the "culture" thing in my head and I just don't know that the huge money and names is what we do. My biggest fear is that we address our needs with lower level FA's and still deal everything for Mariotta.

Eagles expected to keep DeMeco Ryans?

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/4/8151475/eagles-demeco-ryans-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-trade-kiko-alonso

Doesn't make much sense unless, as Brandon suggests, the Eagles are gonna trade Kendricks when they move up to draft Mariota. I'd hate to lose Kendricks, but if that's what it takes to get a QB, then that's what it takes.
I heard this today and that makes the Alonzo deal a lot less favorable. You go from adding a guy coming off an injury and looking to bounce to his pro bowl form, to relying on two guys to bounce back from injury and be productive players. You should be able to get Mariota without giving up Cox or Kendricks. Just throw picks at them like you were going to do.

If they sign a ton of mercenaries and cast off Cox and/or Kendricks I will be very pissed.
Agree, I was OK with this if it meant we had two really good, fast, young 3 down ILBs. DeMeco was still a good run stopper last year but his declining mobility meant he was getting targeted in coverage already, now he's a year older coming back from a 2nd Achilles tear. It took him an extra season to fully come back from the last one, I'd expect him to get worked over pretty bad in coverage if he's playing for us this year.

Don't see how switching out Kendricks for Alonso while losing McCoy really makes them better, so I hope that's not what happens.

I don't really agree with how they use their Safeties, but for what they want to do Jenkins was the right guy. He's OK at all the different things they want him to do rather than being great at anything. I think they'd be better off getting guys who excel at something and letting them focus on that, but that's not what they want.

Brings me to something I've been thinking about. If they want to stay in the base front against "11" personnel, why not have a 3CB, 1S package? If they're sticking with single high and I know one of the S is going to be covering a slot WR (not a TE), then why not just replace Allen (or this year's version) with Boykin?

I don't really agree with how they use their Safeties, but for what they want to do Jenkins was the right guy. He's OK at all the different things they want him to do rather than being great at anything. I think they'd be better off getting guys who excel at something and letting them focus on that, but that's not what they want.

Brings me to something I've been thinking about. If they want to stay in the base front against "11" personnel, why not have a 3CB, 1S package? If they're sticking with single high and I know one of the S is going to be covering a slot WR (not a TE), then why not just replace Allen (or this year's version) with Boykin?
Kelly seems to be hell bent on ruining the one shining gem Howie had which was the 2012 draft. We may have nobody left from it if he has his way.

Foles is obvious. Despite the stats, people say he can't play.

Boykin and Curry can't get on the field despite making plays every time they are on it.

Cox came into his own last year and he's constantly being talked of as the centerpiece for a Mariota deal.

Now the Kendryks talk and Bryce Brown already being moved, we're talking the complete decimation of the best draft class the Eagles had since 2002.

Kelly seems to be hell bent on ruining the one shining gem Howie had which was the 2012 draft. We may have nobody left from it if he has his way.

Boykin and Curry can't get on the field despite making plays every time they are on it.

Cox came into his own last year and he's constantly being talked of as the centerpiece for a Mariota deal.

Now the Kendryks talk and Bryce Brown already being moved, we're talking the complete decimation of the best draft class the Eagles had since 2002.
It looks like that at times.

To give Davis credit he's transitioned the front 7 faster and more effectively than I thought possible to the 3-4 but I don't think he's been anywhere near creative enough in the secondary. They should be thinking of ways to get Boykin on the field since he's clearly the best corner they have and instead its like they've said "Well, your 2" too short, go stand over there. No, further." A lot was made of Chip's "Culture > scheme" quote, well talent > measurables.

With the Safeties, all they're doing with the "flexibility" of having cover guys rather than hitters is having them play left/right. I don't get it. I'd love to see a Cover 3 type defense with both S and the backside CB deep and have Boykin underneath on the side with the WR numbers and have him play the ball. That would have gone a lot better than having Cary / Fletcher covering guys 1:1.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried if Chip's plan doesn't work and he leaves us for a college job with a roster gutted of talent with "his guys".

Let's hope it works!

Kelly seems to be hell bent on ruining the one shining gem Howie had which was the 2012 draft. We may have nobody left from it if he has his way.Foles is obvious. Despite the stats, people say he can't play.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried if Chip's plan doesn't work and he leaves us for a college job with a roster gutted of talent with "his guys".Let's hope it works!
Hinkie may be Eagles GM in 2018 after this all goes to hell.

Guy hasn't even had his pro day yet or private workouts. We still don't know if he's going to 'slide' or not. Although it seems like somehow GM's figure out what other GM's are planning on doing on draft day without us knowing. So if we move up to #6 to get him, I think Chip knew that he wouldn't slide down to 10+.

I still don't see how MM would go past Tennessee. How the hell would anyone in that organization think that Zach Mettenberger can be a franchise QB? If this insanity is going to happen they'll need to trade with TB or Tennessee.

To me, huff needs to cut down on the boneheaded negative plays. It seems whenever he made a great play, it was offset by a stupid mistake later on. Don't know if that's just a matter of maturity or what.

I still don't see how MM would go past Tennessee. How the hell would anyone in that organization think that Zach Mettenberger can be a franchise QB? If this insanity is going to happen they'll need to trade with TB or Tennessee.
Or the Jags at the latest. I could them going Leonard Williams if he's there but there are so many holes, a trade back would be very beneficial. Caldwell has already hinted openly at such a move. I think they'd liek to trade back to 10 at the latest though to secure one of the top pass-rushers.

I think everyone is going a bit overboard here with the analysis. While their could be some evil master-plan that is being laid out, I think the more simpler explanation is as follows:

Kelly plans on taking Mariotta, plain and simple. And if that is decided, than Kelly and the Eagles certainly know they are likely not winning this year or next. Like most QBs, MM will certainly need a couple years to get up to speed with the pro system before they can make a serious run.

Assuming that simple fact is what the Eagles brass believes, and they are game-planning for 2016 and beyond, then there is no reason to hold onto McCoy. Paying him $10M+ for each of the next two years will get you nothing. Why not ship him to a team for a young ILB that, in two years, could be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 8-10 years along with Kendricks?

Get rid of the players that won't be exceptional in another two years (McCoy, Herremans, Cole, etc.), and use the money saved to pursue young FAs that will be here for 4-5 years, and build a defense that will be ready to win when the QB is ready to win in a couple years.

Seems like a pretty simple plan.

Anyway to find out how much cap we had this time last year? Im thinking this years # is getting overblown. If im not mistaken we had a ton of money last year too

I think everyone is going a bit overboard here with the analysis. While their could be some evil master-plan that is being laid out, I think the more simpler explanation is as follows:

Kelly plans on taking Mariotta, plain and simple. And if that is decided, than Kelly and the Eagles certainly know they are likely not winning this year or next. Like most QBs, MM will certainly need a couple years to get up to speed with the pro system before they can make a serious run.

Assuming that simple fact is what the Eagles brass believes, and they are game-planning for 2016 and beyond, then there is no reason to hold onto McCoy. Paying him $10M+ for each of the next two years will get you nothing. Why not ship him to a team for a young ILB that, in two years, could be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 8-10 years along with Kendricks?

Get rid of the players that won't be exceptional in another two years (McCoy, Herremans, Cole, etc.), and use the money saved to pursue young FAs that will be here for 4-5 years, and build a defense that will be ready to win when the QB is ready to win in a couple years.

Would we be contenders with Foles at QB and a bunch of defensive FA signings? I think we would be, so why not have both? Maybe this is unrealistic, but if we do trade up for MM, is there any way Foles is our starter for this season?

The Mariota trade is not a given. Its easy to say that Chip is just going to get him but everyone has limits and other teams may want him. People just act like whatever we offer will be accepted.

Would we be contenders with Foles at QB and a bunch of defensive FA signings? I think we would be, so why not have both? Maybe this is unrealistic, but if we do trade up for MM, is there any way Foles is our starter for this season?
Not a chance. If Foles starts out 7-1 or 8-0 like he could have this year, returns to 2013 form and leads us to a playoff win or 2, how can you justify getting rid of him for the unproven golden boy?

The Mariota trade is not a given. Its easy to say that Chip is just going to get him but everyone has limits and other teams may want him. People just act like whatever we offer will be accepted.
That's the part people don't understand. Right now there could be a team laying low and letting the Eagles hog the headlines while they plan on just taking him. It takes two to tango.

Not a chance. If Foles starts out 7-1 or 8-0 like he could have this year, returns to 2013 form and leads us to a playoff win or 2, how can you justify getting rid of him for the unproven golden boy?
I guess. But maybe Kelly doesn't care about justifying anything to anyone. It seems like this could be the best of both worlds if we can pull that off and keep foles for the sb run this year, and we have Mm waiting in case foles isn't the guy. If he is and we win the SB, I don't think anyone will care that we traded everything for MM. If we don't win the sb, I think the move to take mm is justified.

That's the part people don't understand. Right now there could be a team laying low and letting the Eagles hog the headlines while they plan on just taking him. It takes two to tango.
There's a very good chance this is the case. But now more then ever, most of us simply must be convinced that he's going to try very hard to do so.

I'm sure The Shield would love Mariota in Philly if you get what I'm saying

I love all of the reports from sources that the Eagles are going to trade up to get MM. If sources are hearing this from Eagles insiders, it is likely they are hearing this because the Eagles insiders want them to hear it. It does not necessarily mean the Eagles are going to do it.

Based on his track record, I trust Chip Kelly right now. If he wants MM and he obviously knows full well what he is getting, I trust him. If he wants to pass on MM, then I trust he has a reason for that.

I would like several quality FA's brought in with the money we have. Don't spend it all, but use it wisely to strengthen the core of the team before the draft.

There's a very good chance this is the case. But now more then ever, most of us simply must be convinced that he's going to try very hard to do so.
I don't think there's a doubt that he's going to try with every resource he has.

But you can only try so hard. You would think, from listening to reports, that Chip is going to make an offer--get denied and just keep adding players and picks until he gets that spot. Im sure it doesn't happen like that

I guess. But maybe Kelly doesn't care about justifying anything to anyone. It seems like this could be the best of both worlds if we can pull that off and keep foles for the sb run this year, and we have Mm waiting in case foles isn't the guy. If he is and we win the SB, I don't think anyone will care that we traded everything for MM. If we don't win the sb, I think the move to take mm is justified.
You know how it will be though. If we have Foles play lights out and Kelly dumped Desean, Shady and maybe Maclin in 2 off seasons and we end up falling short of the Super Bowl, people will howl about those moves plus all the draft picks he gave up that could have brought talent to surround Foles with.

Can't disagree. Just like last year it's pretty simple to narrow down the Eagles' potential FA signings.

I love all of the reports from sources that the Eagles are going to trade up to get MM. If sources are hearing this from Eagles insiders, it is likely they are hearing this because the Eagles insiders want them to hear it. It does not necessarily mean the Eagles are going to do it.

Based on his track record, I trust Chip Kelly right now. If he wants MM and he obviously knows full well what he is getting, I trust him. If he wants to pass on MM, then I trust he has a reason for that.

I would like several quality FA's brought in with the money we have. Don't spend it all, but use it wisely to strengthen the core of the team before the draft.
The reports and insiders are all horsesheet. These insiders were nowhere when Nnambdi up and decided he was coming here, when Chip decided to finally sign, hell, where were they when we signed Jenkins just last year? They had no clue he was even in for a visit let alone already had a deal done. You hear nothing from our FO, ever. Now all of a sudden we are just an open door and everyone knows whats going on. It's all BS. This is the Twitter generation of reporting. Site a "source" and then type your opinion

Brandon Marshall available for trade for a mid round pick. Yes please. Do it Chip.
On the surface that seems great. Getting paid less than what Maclin or Cobb wants. Bigger and stronger and established as a goto guy. But injuries are piling up and he'll be 31 this year. I don't know.

I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get Maclin. Would love to have him back - but there's going to options available. Year 2 Matthews and Huff are likely going to be improved Huff is an inch shorter and ran .05 slower in the 40, but is a bit stockier (6-7 lbs heavier) then Maclin - not like there's this huge difference. If we want to go get a vet in case year 2 improvement is not what we're hoping for, there's option there too.

I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get Maclin. Would love to have him back - but there's going to options available. Year 2 Matthews and Huff are likely going to be improved Huff is an inch shorter and ran .05 slower in the 40, but is a bit stockier (6-7 lbs heavier) then Maclin - not like there's this huge difference. If we want to go get a vet in case year 2 improvement is not what we're hoping for, there's option there too.
I kind of agree with this. Maclin again isn't the prototype of what Kelly wants. But selling getting rid of Desean, McCoy, Maclin and possibly Foles in 2 years is a lot to swallow. Kelly doesn't seem to give a #### though. So there's that.

If that "vet" is Marshall or Cobb, sure.

Going into a potential SB run with Matthews/Huff/Cooper.... Please no.

Brandon Marshall available for trade for a mid round pick. Yes please. Do it Chip.
On the surface that seems great. Getting paid less than what Maclin or Cobb wants. Bigger and stronger and established as a goto guy. But injuries are piling up and he'll be 31 this year. I don't know.
I have no problem if this is Chip's rebuild year. Its the first sign he wants to purge the previous regime and build it his way. But it needs to be done with young players, not Marshall or Andre Johnson. IF we're gonna go up and get Mariotta then build a young core to grow with him.

Users who are viewing this thread