What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (2 Viewers)

I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get Maclin. Would love to have him back - but there's going to options available. Year 2 Matthews and Huff are likely going to be improved Huff is an inch shorter and ran .05 slower in the 40, but is a bit stockier (6-7 lbs heavier) then Maclin - not like there's this huge difference. If we want to go get a vet in case year 2 improvement is not what we're hoping for, there's option there too.
If that "vet" is Marshall or Cobb, sure.

Going into a potential SB run with Matthews/Huff/Cooper.... Please no.
We didn't even make the playoffs last year, how is this year a 'potential super bowl run'?

I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get Maclin. Would love to have him back - but there's going to options available. Year 2 Matthews and Huff are likely going to be improved Huff is an inch shorter and ran .05 slower in the 40, but is a bit stockier (6-7 lbs heavier) then Maclin - not like there's this huge difference. If we want to go get a vet in case year 2 improvement is not what we're hoping for, there's option there too.

We didn't even make the playoffs last year, how is this year a 'potential super bowl run'?
Before going 1-3 down the stretch, you didn't think the Superbowl was a possibility last year?

Before going 1-3 down the stretch, you didn't think the Superbowl was a possibility last year?
Exactly. Not saying we are anywhere near favourites to get there, but after the first 12 games I thought it was a realistic possibility that we could get there if we got hot at the right time (would have only potentially needed to win 2 playoff games). Same thing for this year. Am I expecting a SB? No. But if all the pieces on D come together and we get into the playoffs and get hot? Ya I think there's a chance.

Not with Sanchez there to muck things up. That guy is the definition of a curse.

Not with Sanchez there to muck things up. That guy is the definition of a curse.
Correct. But Sanchez won't be our starting QB this season. And last year Foles could have been back for the playoffs.

IF Mariotta drops to, say, St Louis, i can see the Eagles trying to trade up. Sacrificing the future is, more often than not, a losing proposition in the NFL. Ask Washington how that's working out for them.

If it were me, I take care of my immediate worries in FA, and just draft BPA. Re-sign Maclin is a must. I'd absolutely listen to what Chicago wants for Marshall too.

IF Mariotta drops to, say, St Louis, i can see the Eagles trying to trade up. Sacrificing the future is, more often than not, a losing proposition in the NFL. Ask Washington how that's working out for them.

If it were me, I take care of my immediate worries in FA, and just draft BPA. Re-sign Maclin is a must. I'd absolutely listen to what Chicago wants for Marshall too.
If the bears throw you in on the deal I'm sold. Come back to Philly DH.

Hermit I am glad its not up to you.

We signing Maclin is not a must. Crabtree could come in here and be more productive than Maclin. He only played in the spread offense his entire college career at Texas Tech. Also Crabtree will at least fight for the ball. I didn't watch all the Eagles games last season but the games I saw Maclin only caught wide open passes. I love the kid but Maclin has become a small, fragile, possession receiver.

It is interesting that this years free agency looks deep. Some very good players and for a team looking to quickly revamp this looks like a good off season to do it. I agree I hope we don't sell the farm for MM and I honestly don't see 2 QBs being taking in the top 10. There is just too many other players in the draft that could start immediately.

My current wish list -

Ingram

Crabtree

Maxwell

Polamalu

Worilds

Last edited by a moderator:

Hermit I am glad its not up to you. We signing Maclin is not a must. Crabtree could come in here and be more productive than Maclin. He only played in the spread offense his entire college career at Texas Tech. Also Crabtree will at least fight for the ball. I didn't watch all the Eagles games last season but the games I saw Maclin only caught wide open passes. I love the kid but Maclin has become a small, fragile, possession receiver.

It is interesting that this years free agency looks deep. Some very good players and for a team looking to quickly revamp this looks like a good off season to do it. I agree I hope we don't sell the farm for MM and I honestly don't see 2 QBs being taking in the top 10. There is just too many other players in the draft that could start immediately.

My current wish list -

Ingram

Crabtree

Maxwell

Polamalu

Worilds
I do like Crabtree, but lets not act like he doesn't have his warts too. Dude is a fine WR, but he's also been injury prone and has taken his share of plays off. Plus, i actually think he'll want more money than Maclin. Truth be told though, I'd be fine seeing them get both.

If the bears throw you in on the deal I'm sold. Come back to Philly DH.
Yeah, I've been checking out this thread, but more of a lurker. I think you guys getting Marshall would almost be unfair. He gets hurt, but he's passionate and wants to win.

I think everyone is going a bit overboard here with the analysis. While their could be some evil master-plan that is being laid out, I think the more simpler explanation is as follows:

Kelly plans on taking Mariotta, plain and simple. And if that is decided, than Kelly and the Eagles certainly know they are likely not winning this year or next. Like most QBs, MM will certainly need a couple years to get up to speed with the pro system before they can make a serious run.

Assuming that simple fact is what the Eagles brass believes, and they are game-planning for 2016 and beyond, then there is no reason to hold onto McCoy. Paying him $10M+ for each of the next two years will get you nothing. Why not ship him to a team for a young ILB that, in two years, could be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 8-10 years along with Kendricks?

Get rid of the players that won't be exceptional in another two years (McCoy, Herremans, Cole, etc.), and use the money saved to pursue young FAs that will be here for 4-5 years, and build a defense that will be ready to win when the QB is ready to win in a couple years.

Seems like a pretty simple plan.
Would we be contenders with Foles at QB and a bunch of defensive FA signings? I think we would be, so why not have both? Maybe this is unrealistic, but if we do trade up for MM, is there any way Foles is our starter for this season?
Not a chance. If Foles starts out 7-1 or 8-0 like he could have this year, returns to 2013 form and leads us to a playoff win or 2, how can you justify getting rid of him for the unproven golden boy?
I guess. But maybe Kelly doesn't care about justifying anything to anyone. It seems like this could be the best of both worlds if we can pull that off and keep foles for the sb run this year, and we have Mm waiting in case foles isn't the guy. If he is and we win the SB, I don't think anyone will care that we traded everything for MM. If we don't win the sb, I think the move to take mm is justified.
You know how it will be though. If we have Foles play lights out and Kelly dumped Desean, Shady and maybe Maclin in 2 off seasons and we end up falling short of the Super Bowl, people will howl about those moves plus all the draft picks he gave up that could have brought talent to surround Foles with.
This, plus the fact that the team would split into 2 camps, the "Kelly guys" like Kelce and the rest who look at Foles play and say "F$%# this kid, why the hell did we give up so much?" You have to think that with Shady and Jackson shown the door despite being very productive there would be a lot of players looking over their shoulder if they don't feel like they're one of the teacher's pets. Clearly, doing your job well isn't enough to be safe.

If MM comes, Foles has to go as part of the deal or straight after or chaos ensues.

.... Also Crabtree will at least fight for the ball. I didn't watch all the Eagles games last season but the games I saw Maclin only caught wide open passes. I love the kid but Maclin has become a small, fragile, possession receiver.
Correct, at least a couple of Foles interceptions were on plays he threw a jump ball to Maclin downfield. He's seen enough of Mac that he should know better. I wouldn't say fragile, but he is a finesse guy who plays smaller than his size and doesn't often make contested catches.

At 9-3 and the way they were playing then? Absolutely I thought they were a possibility, as long as Foles came back.

More noise out about us going hard after McCourty... also the Giants are after him too. I know we learned from the Nnamdi thing, but this feels different and I really really want Mccourty and Maxwell. I feel like our D could actually be really good next year with those LBs, and those DBs.

More noise out about us going hard after McCourty... also the Giants are after him too. I know we learned from the Nnamdi thing, but this feels different and I really really want Mccourty and Maxwell. I feel like our D could actually be really good next year with those LBs, and those DBs.
Of course it feels different, it hasn't gone to #### yet. :P

Seriously though, I don't think they have a choice but to go hard after at least two upper tier FA defensive backs.

Hermit I am glad its not up to you. We signing Maclin is not a must. Crabtree could come in here and be more productive than Maclin. He only played in the spread offense his entire college career at Texas Tech. Also Crabtree will at least fight for the ball. I didn't watch all the Eagles games last season but the games I saw Maclin only caught wide open passes. I love the kid but Maclin has become a small, fragile, possession receiver.

My current wish list -

Ingram

Crabtree

Maxwell

Polamalu

Worilds
That's a smidge above terrible list.

Posted about Eagles cap situation, would love fans thoughts:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=714452
I don't know what they will do with the 2015 FA class. I was the first one here saying Desean should have been cut last season. Maclin could be replaced as well. I won't say it will happen because he's a different guy then Desean off/on the field. Graham is going to go somewhere and become a star. I've been defending him for years as well. Everyone is out of there minds with this Sanchez crap. I won't get into that, but if he's fine being a backup then let's do it. Even if you have to overpay. The QB position is too important. I can't imagine Matt Barkley playing today.The core of the team is the 2016 FA you highlighted that was drafted in 2012. Those guys aren't going anywhere. Most of the moves we've made was to free up space for them. Foles is getting paid. I'd bet anyone that he will. Sanchez will only drive up the price.

The potential cap casualty is LeSean McCoy. I've been saying this since last season. Smart teams just don't pay RBs these days. I consider the Eagles a smart team.

Chip is in love with Celek. I don't know if he'd be cut. I'm all for upgrading the position though.
Did I miss anything?

You really didn't think that going 9-3 with all of those wins against sub-.500 teams, and with the aid of a franchise-record 9 special teams/defensive TDs which clearly skewed the results, was a bit smoke and mirrors?

The reality of this team was a lot more like the final month of the season, than it was the first three months. Kelly sees it. I see it. Shocked anyone else is looking through tinted glasses.

You really didn't think that going 9-3 with all of those wins against sub-.500 teams, and with the aid of a franchise-record 9 special teams/defensive TDs which clearly skewed the results, was a bit smoke and mirrors?

The reality of this team was a lot more like the final month of the season, than it was the first three months. Kelly sees it. I see it. Shocked anyone else is looking through tinted glasses.
A little bit maybe, but remember, at 9-3 we had just routed a good Cowboys team on Thanksgiving in Dallas. McCoy had his best game. Sanchez looked great. The defense looked great. Yes, there were some high hopes at that point. Remember, early in the season, our O-line was decimated by injuries and we still only lost to SF in our first six games. Did I think they were SB favorites? of course not, but there was plenty of reason for optimism.

Smoke and mirrors? They went into INDY and did something no other team had been able to do, beat Andrew Luck after he lost a game. That was an impressive win. They won games with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string offensive linemen. I don't believe for one second that the reality of this team is more the 1-3 to finish the season. They were doing that with a backup quarterback and an unfavorable schedule at times (meaning 10 days for Dallas to prepare for them the second game).

Forgetting Brandon Marshall

@AdamSchefter: Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.

Radio--Now we can just deal Foles to the Jets!!!!!!!

Real life-- Jets now can just pick a franchise QB to go with their WR's

Real life - Jets give Geno Smith a chance to show he's a franchise QB now that they have a legitimate WR (and if they sign Spiller) a #1 RB.

Real life - Jets give Geno Smith a chance to show he's a franchise QB now that they have a legitimate WR (and if they sign Spiller) a #1 RB.
They had Decker and Harvin last season. IMHO, it's clear they'll take a QB now and may even deal UP to get one.

Greg Cosell was on the Ross Tucker podcast talking about QB's not named Mariota or Winston--He sounded very impressed with Bryce Petty FWIW

They had Decker and Harvin last season. IMHO, it's clear they'll take a QB now and may even deal UP to get one.
Foles could throw to those guys. :)

Like I said, now they have a legitimate #1 WR.

Greg Cosell was on the Ross Tucker podcast talking about QB's not named Mariota or Winston--He sounded very impressed with Bryce Petty FWIW
FWIW (nothing) I thought Petty had a better showing than Mariotta and Winston in the passing drills at the combine. I was lucky enough to be there and Petty rarely missed. Winston even mentioned Petty during the interview on NFLN when he was on there with Mariotta.

FWIW (nothing) I thought Petty had a better showing than Mariotta and Winston in the passing drills at the combine. I was lucky enough to be there and Petty rarely missed. Winston even mentioned Petty during the interview on NFLN when he was on there with Mariotta.
I wasn't there but watched the throwing portion and admit I was impressed with Petty, although I put him behind Mariota and Winston.

I wasn't there but watched the throwing portion and admit I was impressed with Petty, although I put him behind Mariota and Winston.
It's really interesting to see how much of the drills they leave out of the live broadcast. The primary broadcast, when focusing on the QBs basically left the WRs out of focus and vice-versa when they were focusing on the WRs. I'd guess they missed 20%.

I've actually been on board with them getting him over dealing up if its a QB they really wanted. He seems to have a better arm than both Winston and Mariota and he can also move pretty well too. Hes the perfect one to have sit behind Foles for a year or so IMHO

So you think they brought in Marshall, and will pay Harvin $10M this season, so they can spend next year suffering through a rookie QB learning the ropes (who would be playing in a non-Chip Kelly system for the first time since high school)?

You are funny.

So you think they brought in Marshall, and will pay Harvin $10M this season, so they can spend next year suffering through a rookie QB learning the ropes (who would be playing in a non-Chip Kelly system for the first time since high school)?

You are funny.
So any other team but ours he "suffers"? Am I understanding you right?

Hey, here's a thought for you...what if another team actually thinks that he could play QB for them and be a franchise guy? Crazy, right?

And having Geno Smith is suffering :lmao:

My off season thoughts..

Free agency:

WR- Crabtree & Brit

G- Wisniewski

OLB- Sheard

CB- KJackson, House, Thurmond

Trade:

Boykins & 4th for Vaccaro

Vaccaro was in Saints doghouse at the end of the year, and would be nice to team him back up with Jenkins. Also, Saints are in search for a CB.

Draft:

Marriota- Foles 1,3 & 1,3

Duke Johnson

Cox & Kendricks sign extensions

My off season thoughts..

Free agency:

WR- Crabtree & Brit

G- Wisniewski

OLB- Sheard

CB- KJackson, House, Thurmond

Trade:

Boykins & 4th for Vaccaro

Vaccaro was in Saints doghouse at the end of the year, and would be nice to team him back up with Jenkins. Also, Saints are in search for a CB.

Draft:

Marriota- Foles 1,3 & 1,3

Duke Johnson

Cox & Kendricks sign extensions
Except for Britt and Foles, I'm cool with this. Foles I know I'll have to live with if they get MM. Britt is a loser though. No thanks.

And Maxwell:

Speaking on the phone to an agent of another top-end free agent cornerback, the idea was brought up of his client possibly coming to join the Eagles.

"Nope," the agent replied, "They are getting Byron Maxwell."

It seems no matter who you speak to these days around the league — whether it be an agent, coach, team executive — everyone seems to be in agreement that come Saturday, at the unofficial start of NFL free agency, the Eagles will be making a hard push for the Seattle Seahawks cornerback.

A push that is considered to be so strong that at least one agent wouldn't even entertain the idea of his client landing there.

"They want Maxwell," one team executive who requested anonymity said, "and I think it happens."

On a silly thing they did on ESPN, they played the dating game with Maxwell with the Eagles, Seahawks and Jaguars represented as the choices. After the questions he wound up selecting the Jags off the answers given, but after Dawkins walked out with the Eagles helmet, Maxwell sounded disappointed and said "oh man can i change my decision?". Sounds like he might be interested in us as well.

McClane: #Eagles tendered RFA Cedric Thornton at 2d round level ($2.356 million). If other team wants to sign, has to give up pick in compensation.

10:57am - 7 Mar 15

@charlesrobinson: A league source says the #Eagles have made safety Devin McCourty a top priority. #Patriots still want him back.

And

Byron Maxwell and Devin McCourty looks like an either/or situation for #Eagles. I'm not sure they can make the best offer to both.

5:31pm - 7 Mar 15

Users who are viewing this thread