What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (2 Viewers)

@adamschefter: Barring a breakdown in talks, Frank Gore expected to sign a 3-year deal in which $7.5 million in first two years are guaranteed.

My opinion: I was okay with the Maxwell signing, this one leaves me guessing. The only thing I am thinking now is that they wanted veteran leadership from Gore and he has been a great RB in making 1-cut and going north and south. Seems that how Kelly wants his RBs to do, rather than dancing. Maybe he is hoping Gore will mentor Polk, or he is planning on drafting a rookie RB and having him mentored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Maxwell signing. It's a lot of money but I feel good about it. I'm tired of seeing our D get torched and this should help a lot.

I have no problem with Gore. I see it as a two year deal. Hopefully be gives you enough dirty yards and veteran leadership to mentor the rookie they most likely take in the 3rd or 4th.

@EliotShorrParks: Who do #Eagles have an interest in pairing with Byron Maxwell? Green Bay #Packers Tramon Williams, per source.

I have no problem with Gore. I see it as a two year deal. Hopefully be gives you enough dirty yards and veteran leadership to mentor the rookie they most likely take in the 3rd or 4th.
Yup. Run hard and straight andead by example. Him, Sproles and a rookie would be ok with me.

@EliotShorrParks: Who do #Eagles have an interest in pairing with Byron Maxwell? Green Bay #Packers Tramon Williams, per source.
Both of these guys are instantly better than Fletcher/CWilliams. I like the aggression. Probably means no Mccourtey though.

Eagles interested in Frank Gore.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3205/frank-gore

Thanks, but no thanks.
I'd take him as a one-year stopgap RB solution, if no better option presents itself. Personally I'd prefer Helu if we're looking for a committee back to team up with Sproles and Polk. Maybe Chip really thinks Polk could be a feature back, but wants a veteran safety net.
Yeah, this makes sense to me. I wouldn't be opposed to Gore on a cheap contract, but I think that he and Polk would be a little redundant at this point in Gore's career. Helu would be a better complement overall, I think.
I guess I'm in the minority with being down on this gore trade. I really don't like it but I understand the difference in running styles between shady and gore and that gore is the type of RB Chip is looking for. Would have much rather had Ingram.

Eagles interested in Frank Gore.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3205/frank-gore

Thanks, but no thanks.
I'd take him as a one-year stopgap RB solution, if no better option presents itself. Personally I'd prefer Helu if we're looking for a committee back to team up with Sproles and Polk. Maybe Chip really thinks Polk could be a feature back, but wants a veteran safety net.
Yeah, this makes sense to me. I wouldn't be opposed to Gore on a cheap contract, but I think that he and Polk would be a little redundant at this point in Gore's career. Helu would be a better complement overall, I think.
I guess I'm in the minority with being down on this gore trade. I really don't like it but I understand the difference in running styles between shady and gore and that gore is the type of RB Chip is looking for. Would have much rather had Ingram.
Yes I think we all would have wanted Ingram. I'm surprised he went back to NO.

Man I hope Chip succeeds....if he leaves us for the NCAA in a couple years I'm scared of what the roster could look like haha.

@charlesrobinson: A league source says the #Eagles have made safety Devin McCourty a top priority. #Patriots still want him back.

And

Byron Maxwell and Devin McCourty looks like an either/or situation for #Eagles. I'm not sure they can make the best offer to both.

5:31pm - 7 Mar 15
You hear that Chip? They're saying you can't get both. You going to take that?
Getlin: Re McCourty, multiple sources indicate the #Eagles have made a strong push to be in position to sign him. Considering fallback options, too.

6:01pm - 8 Mar 15

While on the surface, a free agency binge would suggest that the Eagles don't need their draft picks as much and might use them to move up for Mariota, that seems kind of counter-intuitive to me. Bringing in Mariota suggests that they will have a year or 2 where they have to step back a little bit. What is the point of a Frank Gore, for instance, in that scenario? Even Chip can't believe that Mariota will be ready to step in right away without missing a beat, can he?

While on the surface, a free agency binge would suggest that the Eagles don't need their draft picks as much and might use them to move up for Mariota, that seems kind of counter-intuitive to me. Bringing in Mariota suggests that they will have a year or 2 where they have to step back a little bit. What is the point of a Frank Gore, for instance, in that scenario? Even Chip can't believe that Mariota will be ready to step in right away without missing a beat, can he?
Maybe he's realizing how much it will take to get MM and is setting up for when they can't do it.

I have to think if he gets MM, Kelly will also go out and get a "Doug Pederson"....be it Mark Sanchez or someone like that. That being said, if they get MM, my expectations for this team (assuming a lot of spending on the FA market...particularly D) are a slow start......right around .500 until about Dec. when the D gels and MM gets his legs under him and gets accustomed to the speed of the game. With that, I think they're touted on the NFL broadcasts as the "team noone wants in the playoffs/peaking at the right time" etc. etc.

I see him creating a favorable environment for his Golden Child.

Yup. Run hard and straight andead by example. Him, Sproles and a rookie would be ok with me.
Agree, Gore still brings it. I do think they need some youth there and I'm not counting on Polk for anything. Both Gore and Sproles I think need to have their workloads managed, maybe 150-200 carries for Gore and say 75 for Sproles with work in the passing game as well. That still leaves 100-150 carries for another back. I get the feeling this is the kind of arrangement Chip would prefer.

From 97.5 Marks and Brace:

Hearing from a source close to #Eagles, Maclin & Sanchez are coming back. Announcement of new the deals should come at some point tonight.

6:33pm - 8 Mar 15

Hearing from a source close to #Eagles, Maclin & Sanchez are coming back. Announcement of new the deals should come at some point tonight.

Saw someone posted in comments on NFL.com Maclin at 10m a year. Gotta keep him, Sanchez meh. Wonder if that means Foles will be Jets QB if MM makes it to pick 6.

Saw someone posted in comments on NFL.com Maclin at 10m a year. Gotta keep him, Sanchez meh. Wonder if that means Foles will be Jets QB if MM makes it to pick 6.
Mariota is going at pick #2, weather thats philly or tennesse or the nyj moving up

No way he slides past that spot

One down:

Eskin: QB Mark Sanchez agreed to deal w #eagles. Two year deal 5.5M guaranteed.

7:21pm - 8 Mar 15

Oof.

Mariota is going at pick #2, weather thats philly or tennesse or the nyj moving upNo way he slides past that spot
Not sure I buy that, his value in Chip's O is a lot more than others and I think he is viewed as a system QB.

Sanchez for $9m over 2 years wow, is he worth that he sucks.

My very brief Marcus Mariotta Scouting Report.

Since I don't watch college football, I thought I should finally take a look at MM and see what all the fuss is about, I headed over to draftbreakdown.com and watched all 3 of MM's 2014 cutups and 1 or 2 of the previous year's games as well. Here's my thoughts:

Pros

• Athleticisim. Obviously, but when I watched him I do see how much more could be done with the option game on both run and pass plays with a QB with that kind of speed and shiftiness. He's not Vick as far as speed and genuine ball carrying ability but he can make people miss. There was one play though, where Eric Kendricks didn't fall for a fake pitch and just unloaded on him right through the ribcage. Ouch. He consistently makes great reads in give/pull situations. He will need to tone down the reckless running in the NFL and get down/out quicker though.
  • Pass First. He does consistently keep his eyes downfield and find targets when moving out of the pockets, both on designed and broken plays, and at times threw downfield rather than cross the LOS.
  • Accuracy. He did show the ability to hit a guy in stride in tight man coverage with great ball placement, it isn't consistent which I'll go into later, but the ability is there. There weren't any of what they call drive throws, ie deep outs, deep comebacks, deep crosses into zone coverage. It's just not part of the offense, but against man coverage, he can throw a crossing route or a post to a guy who's "covered".
  • Arm strength, again it's inconsistent because of footwork issues but the potential is there for him to have an above average NFL arm.
Cons

• Footwork. It's terrible, mostly throws just from his shoulder with his feet wherever they happen to be, even with a clean pocket and no pressure. This causes issues with both accuracy and velocity, at times he misses open players wide, but he also misses high, like a lot. That's turnover country in the NFL. There were also a number of throws where the ball just took too long to get there, against the superior closing speed of NFL DBs, a lot of those could end up with the bad guys. It's a fixable issue, but I'm guessing this is where teams who run regular NFL offenses will have reservations about him and how long it will take to be a consistent passer. If he starts as a rookie, I could see him throwing 20+ picks.
There were just a few times, mostly on throws down the middle, where he really stepped into the throw and the difference that makes to his ball is very encouraging.

• Performance against pressure. This is what I learned from watching Kevin Kolb play QB. How a QB handles pressure is very important, there'll always be 10-15 plays a game where the pocket is messy or someone gets beaten or there's a free rusher or whatever. If those challenging plays are going to turn into 2-3 turnovers, you can't play QB in the NFL. There's very little pressure on him in the games I watched. Mostly teams are playing light boxes and the ball comes out quickly or he's on the move. When there was pressure, a couple of times he climbed the pocket nicely, other times he just didn't feel it. Either way, not enough sample size to really have a feel for how he'll handle NFL pass rush.
Overall he's a really intriguing player, obviously a great for for Kelly. I don't really have a strong opinion on whether they should do a deal for him or not. I still believe Foles is an above average NFL starter but there were areas he regressed last year and I'm less bullish on him than I was. I don't know how much of that to attribute to the OL injuries and lack of success in the running game, the QB coaching change or what.

He gives things mobility wise Foles doesn't obviously, but if you take him, you're banking on him developing as a passer and there is a lot of work to do there. Interesting times, I confess I don't know whether to want this or not.

Mariota is going at pick #2, weather thats philly or tennesse or the nyj moving upNo way he slides past that spot
Not sure I buy that, his value in Chip's O is a lot more than others and I think he is viewed as a system QB. Sanchez for $9m over 2 years wow, is he worth that he sucks.
As a starter he sucks but as a backup he was exactly what you need. Hold the fort for 3-4 games till the starter comes back. Unfortunately the starter never made it back.

Not sure I buy that, his value in Chip's O is a lot more than others and I think he is viewed as a system QB.

Sanchez for $9m over 2 years wow, is he worth that he sucks.
its all about maximizing value of the pick

#1 tennessee needs a qb, they control the pick after winston goes to TB, pretty much I would be telling everyone if you want MM, we are taking him unless we get a package we want

Not sure I buy that, his value in Chip's O is a lot more than others and I think he is viewed as a system QB.Sanchez for $9m over 2 years wow, is he worth that he sucks.
As a starter he sucks but as a backup he was exactly what you need. Hold the fort for 3-4 games till the starter comes back. Unfortunately the starter never made it back.
Agree, if he was better someone else would be paying him to start, and his agent would know by now the chances of that happening. He did the best job a backup can be realistically hoped to do, no more no less.

I guess we needed a back up but tithe money he got is interesting. If Chip does all this in hopes of getting Mariota and doesn't it's going to be bad.

@ByDavidMurphy: No way Eagles waste money on Chize if they are thinking Mariota. Pretty sure I can offer a formal proof if you give me more than 140 letters

@ByDavidMurphy: If you are going to draft Mariota you keep the former 100 million dollar man at $1.5 mil to back him up, not hand Chize 5 guaranteed

@ByDavidMurphy: No it signals The Foleschize as your QB bc Kelly thinks he doesn't need one RT @rj_mas: If not a play for MM then this may signal a QB comp?

@ByDavidMurphy: Foles/Chize competition, developmental 2nd/3rd rounder at No. 3. Only thing that sucks bout being right is nobody remembers they are wrong

@ByDavidMurphy: The Mariota truthers will stop at nothing. Next year at this time they'll be insisting Kelly passed on him so he can sign him as a FA

@ByDavidMurphy: So the Eagles are overpaying a backup qb in anticipation of a move that will require a tremendous amount of luck and resources to execute?

@BartHubbuch: The trade demands when Chip Kelly starts calling the top five or six teams in the draft are going to be hilarious.

Murphy has some pretty good point above. Combine that with what Hubbuch said and I'm thinking this move sinks the idea of us getting Mariota at all.

Uh oh:

Mort: The Eagles' wild ride will continue: Jeremy Maclin plans to reunite with Andy Reid in Kansas City once free agent market opens Tuesday.

8:28pm - 8 Mar 15

Who's the former 100 million man? Vick?
I was wondering as well, would have to be Vick wouldn't it?
The only one i can think of, how does he fit into this discussion?! :confused:
Not sure, that ship sailed long ago.
I thought it was a sarcastic reference to Foles - he is scheduled to make 1.5M this year. Don't agree though, if they go MM wouldn't they likely trade Foles?
I think they'd have to, sets up too much drama otherwise.

Uh oh:

Mort: The Eagles' wild ride will continue: Jeremy Maclin plans to reunite with Andy Reid in Kansas City once free agent market opens Tuesday.

Ugh. I've been a critic of Maclin's lack of toughness, but he had a great season last year and without him, our WR group becomes one of the weaker ones in the league.

Uh oh:

Ugh. I've been a critic of Maclin's lack of toughness, but he had a great season last year and without him, our WR group becomes one of the weaker ones in the league.
This relatively good day has gone to #### in a hurry. Who in gods name is Marcus going to throw to??

Just a thought. Could Maclin have been turned off the Eagles by the way Jackson, McCoy were handled?

Users who are viewing this thread